Start by marking “Wild Sky” as Want to Read:
Wild Sky

Wild Sky

Tauran Darrica has been retired from the Valreus Sky Guard for four years following the Battle of the Broken Wings that resulted in the death of his dragon. Now, all Tauran wants to do is spend his days forgetting the past and gambling his way to an unsteady income.

So when his old general from the Sky Guard hunts Tauran down to request his help with staving off the increas
Published August 24th 2020

Start your review of Wild Sky
* A Reader Obsessed *
5 Hearts!! An impressive fantasy overflowing with dragon love!

For those who know me well, I do not give 5’s easily nor readily. In fact, this is my first for the year. I also don’t tend to like, and truly avoid, long reads but despite this being over 700 pages, I barreled through this with ease.

As per the blurb, Tauran is a self imposed retired soldier of Valreus’s Sky Guard. He and his dragon once kept the city and surrounding realms safe, but a terrible tragedy struck and Tauran chooses to for
M.I.A
4.5 Stars
What a beautiful read.
Exceptional world building.
Wild Sky is an experience.
This is definitely one of the best dragon representations I've read so far. They were central and beautifully described. Each with their own experiences and personalities. They come alive. Also, baby dragon!! I think no other incentive is needed to read this other than a seriously adorable feisty baby dragon.

This is definitely paranormal with depth, from dragon to human.

Both mc's have a lot of depth. One strug
Claudie ☾
Jan 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Claudie ☾ by: * A Reader Obsessed *
I wanted my first book of the year to be something special. Zaya Feli was a completely new-to-me author, but with ARO’s recommendation in mind (Thank you so much! ❤️), I decided to give this one a try.

I'm happy to say it was a great choice. I LOVED it!

I’ve always been a sucker for well-depicted human-animal bonds, so I fully own up to the fact that Wild Sky made me tear up many, many times. It was unlike any book I’ve ever read before. Dragons were fully-developed characters here, and they got a
True Loveislovereview
Aug 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
5+++ stars - Brilliant narrative, just brilliant!

Kalai Ro-Ani is from Kel Visal, the dragon mountain in Sharoani, he stood out with his black hair and golden brown skin between all the pale Kykaros people.

‘Valreus, the City of Hope, welcomes you’
After three weeks on the road, Kalai was finally here and luckily he found himself a job as archivist given by Falka, General of the Sky Guard. Kalai must translate Sharoani letters into Kykaros. One moment he’s translating, the next he’s given an egg
Ariana
Sep 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
4,5 stars

This is truly an epic saga.

Two broken heroes.
Dragons and men.
A fight against all odds.
A gentle love.

What spoke to me in particular:

.) Amazing and absolutely beautiful world building. While immensely detailed the author never bored me with it. (and that has happened before!) I was sucked into this universe from page one and happy to be there 700 and odd pages later.

.) The dragons:

If you like dragons, then this is for you.
The dragons in this book are brilliant creatures – beautiful, bold
Lisazj1
I really enjoyed this one. Absolutely phenomenal world building, and dragons, which is a bonus for any story as far as I'm concerned.

The dragons here are incredibly well rendered. Besides being wild, powerful creatures, they're beings with their own personalities who work closely and bond with their humans. They're an integral part of the society of the world they inhabit.

I liked the humans in the story as well. Most of them anyway. Tauran and Kalil are both men with their own issues, looking
Karen
Aug 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mm-read
Full review to follow...very soonish! As in later this afternoon!

Before I start talking about what's between the covers in this book...let's just give that cover a moment. I admit it more than anything that's what initially caught my attention. I loved this cover. It contains a stylish but simplistic beauty that I quickly discovered carried through to the story within.

I love dragons...anyone who knows me will tell you...I simply adore these creatures and here in Zaya Feli's story 'Wild Sky' are
iam
Queer dragon rider fantasy with an m/m romance, betrayal, and two disabled protagonists.

Read the full review on the blog!

Content warnings include: violence, animal abuse, disability (fainting episodes, consequences of badly broken leg), substance addiction, sex on-page, character seeks out sex worker, giving someone harmful medication under false pretenses, military being absolute authority vibes, trauma.
Mentions of: animal death, suicide attempt, falling from sky, execution, threat of
Daesy
**grm**

I found this story interesting, but the book was way too long and sometimes the plot became boring. I think that the execution of the story could have been done better, with a better pace and not in a way that could make the reader feel as if was reading the same thing again, only a few pages later. I still think that this book was nice and I liked the characters and the fact that none of them was perfect, but I really wish that the author had focused more on what was happening on page th
Ariel
What a fantastic story! I enjoyed this so so much! There's plenty of action, adventure, and so much emotion. And alongside the steadily growing mystery of past events, there's a beautiful romance between Tauran and Kalai who are exactly what the other needs. Both a bit broken in their own way, these characters go through an amazing journey for themselves, each other, and their dragons.

I really loved how the mystery unfolded through dreams, small flashbacks, and little clues as the story progres
Terri Jones
Nov 12, 2020 rated it it was ok
DNF at 46%, after one more try.

This was enjoyable, though slow, until the plot thickens in so predictable a way that I can't maintain interest any longer. It had been getting slower and slower, and more predictable, but I'd hoped the revelation would help. Nope. I should've cut my losses over that needless saddle thing. Training saddles exist for horses. One presumes there are the dragon equivalent. The author might have checked that out before adding yet more to this tome.

The best part are th
Alex (HEABookNerd)
Rating: 5 stars - loved it!

First of all let me say that WILD SKY was a hefty 750+ pages and I loved every second of it! Tauran Darrica is a former Sky Guard dragon rider from Valreus, but a tragic betrayal from inside the Sky Guard leads to the death of Tauran's dragon and an injured leg that still pains him 4 years later. Tauran vowed never to return to Valreus or to bond with a dragon again but circumstances have him reluctantly returning to Valreus. Once there he meets the city's new Archivi
Alexia
Aug 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-shelf

"He was really flying. Up here, he could do anything. He was free."

If you had told me at the beginning of reading Wild Sky that I was going to fall in love with dragons, I probably wouldn't have believed you. But oh did I almost shed some tears over dragon deaths. I had to remind myself they weren't real so many times. I grew so attached to the dragons Arrow and Leyre, and I found all the details about the different dragons and their habits to be so fascinating. (Shoutout to the
Carra
Aug 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Okay, buckle up folks, you’re in for a great read! With the intricate world-building, complex characters, and elaborate storyline this story was mesmerizing enough to pull me in from the very first page and swallow me whole—for well over 700 pages. Not only that, but it did so without losing my interest at all along the way. I’ll admit—when I opened this up and saw how long it was, it did give me pause. Usually with books of this length my mind will wind up drifting while reading since it’s no e ...more
jessica ☾
Jan 23, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
It has been an unfortunately long time since I’ve read a book this good, I could not put this story down for a single second! I fell in absolute love with the characters and their world, everything Zaya Feli writes is insanely well done, I’d honestly read her grocery lists at this point. Can’t wait to see what she publishes next!
Rebeca
Oct 22, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
** DNF at 11% **

I really wanted to like this book more than I did.
Viki
Nov 08, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: rommance, fantasy
It's something like How To Train Your Dragon with a dash of conspiracy and fighting for freedom and, of course, centered also around the romance of a more and shy nerd, who likes to spend his day reading books and a broken man who can find new strength in him. Gosh, that sounds cheesy but it was just bit but in a good way.

A lot happens, of course, because pages, like a lot of them, but it should have basically everything you can ever ask of a book like this. Great characters (even if there were
Lola
I received a free copy of this book from A Novel Take PR and am voluntarily reviewing it.

When I read the blurb for this one, it sounded like such a great read that I immediately requested a copy. It was a bit of an impulse request, but I am so glad I did as I really enjoyed this book. It's one of the longest books I read in a long time (it's 764 pages according to Goodreads!), but that was great as it meant I could spend more time being immersed in this world and reading about these characters.
jazmin
Aug 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs
When I realised this was a very long book, I was worried it would be boring. And when I realised it would probably be pretty slow burn, I was worried it might be frustrating. (I do love slow burn but it has to be done right)

I didn't need to worry. At all. I fell so in love with the characters and the world and the dragons - oh my god, the dragons - that the many pages and the sometimes a bit of slow pace didn't bother me. I just kept on wanting more.

Tauran and Kalai were just lovely people, and
Kristin
Sep 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
It has been a long time since a fantasy novel has kept my attention like this one did –and I enjoyed this immensely.

The blurb does not do the book justice, but I will say, it was enough to pique my interest. I’m not going to elaborate because I don’t want to drop any spoilers. This book is just too good. I will also note here – Zaya Feli is a new-to-me author.

I will say this story does follow conventional fantasy tropes, but with a male/male slow-burn romance. Tauran and Kalai’s relationship ev
Kelsie ♡
Oct 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-of-the-best
Wild Sky was gripping, beautiful, and heartbreaking. This is a long book, but it never read that way. I was hooked very early on and never found myself bored or skimming. The main relationship is a slow burn; and is tender and sweet in its culmination.

Kalai was rolling thunder filling Tauran with static energy, and now all he craved was a lightning storm.”

“Are you saying you’d like to sleep with me?” A slow smile spread on Tauran’s face. His next words were surprisingly easy to speak aloud. “
Carol
Aug 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2020, lgbtqia

"𝘛𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘦'𝘴 𝘯𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳 𝘫𝘶𝘴𝘵 𝘰𝘯𝘦 𝘴𝘪𝘥𝘦 𝘰𝘧 𝘢 𝘴𝘵𝘰𝘳𝘺"

Tauran Darrica thought that he would never go back to Valreus after his fall and the death of his dragon, but when his old general comes to offer him a job he decides that maybe it is time to go back and also because he has no place to stay after his rooms catch on fire. At the same time, Kalai comes from another land filled with wild dragons, and because he can speak other languages he gets a job as the archivist of Valreus.
Kalai and Tauran receive tasks
Corsairrobot
Aug 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People who like dragons, fantasy, romance and adventure, as well as a diverse cast of characters.
This is definitely going on my favourite books list.
I fell in love with the characters in the first few pages: Tauran, a damaged dragon rider without a dragon, and Kalai, who was born to ride dragons but hasn’t been able to make his dream come true. I crave portrayals of romance where the characters work well and actually make each other better as people, supporting and forgiving each other, even when they mess up, and I really enjoyed how this book portrayed their relationship. Both characters
Erin
Sep 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Finally, the GAY DRAGON RIDING BOOK WE DESERVE

I loved this book. Finally, a gay fantasy novel with the length to actually manage some skillfully developed worldbuilding! A gay fantasy novel that had a slow-burn romance that's romantic and not just dirty! These characters are wonderful: their vulnerability, their willingness to depend on one another, their strength, their determination, their compassion, their struggles! Yes, yes, yes.

There were a handful of typos and some modern slang that felt
PaperMoon
Oct 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
This proved an instantly engaging read with great MCs and yes - there be dragons; some decent world-building too. Unlike many other dragon-fantasies, the main threat doesn't stem from the dragons per se (think McCaffrey here folks); the baddies are not demon-possessed war-mongering hostile neighboring states either. The human-dragon interactions were not too cute although I do feel the word 'cooing' might have been a tad overused.

Once past the first few introductory chapters, our MCs do begin fa
Sara (BookshelfSOS)
Wild Sky is an epic fantasy adventure set in a world where wild dragons roam the skies.

On its face this book is a very light-hearted romantic adventure story, but what is so impressive here is how subtly and beautifully the characters' pain and trauma is explored. The genius comes in with Zaya Feli's light touch; the writing never feels melodramatic, but results in some really beautiful moments of emotional catharsis. The characters are given the time and space to explore the ghosts of their pa
Mae
Oct 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Alexandra
Aug 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs
I was given a free eARC by aNovelPR.
This book combines dragons and gay love, so what more could you ask for? I literally could not find a flaw in this book and enjoyed every second of it!
So, the dragons’ portion of the story was fantastic! The way the author portrayed the dragons and how important they are in the world was amazing! The author did not write the dragons to be creatures that are controlled by humans, but as individuals which I loved.
The romance is absolutely adorable and if you lo
Query
Nov 18, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
The plot is rather shallow. Kalai comes to a new city with no plan for no reason except that he wants adventure... even though he has to separate from his dragon and he's killed a man to get there. But good luck, he gets a job offered to him on his first day! And with no job description except, "translate stuff," he gets right to work--to the point that he hasn't even gone outside to explore the city or to go find the dragon that he left outside of the city. Remember, this guy came for adventure ...more
Manlove
Oct 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was of quite a higher caliber than my usual reads** on this account. It had so many very, very serious character happenings amidst all my fav dragon-y and whatnot goodness. So, for this account it was a four-star read [sorry, didn't really want THAT much seriousness]. For my other account it might have been a five-star. But no matter what, it was a plotilicious delight filled with awesome happenings and many, many delightful dragons (view spoiler) ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Lacuna
  • Red Heir (Adventures in Aguillon #1)
  • Elf Defence (Adventures in Aguillon #2)
  • The Fantastic Fluke (The Fantastic Fluke, #1)
  • Origin (Scales 'n' Spells, #1)
  • Beneath the Opal Arc (Immortal Jewels #1)
  • Treasured
  • The Assassin's Dragon (Fire and Valor #3)
  • Lore & Lust (Lore & Lust #1)
  • Spooky Business (The Spectral Files, #3)
  • The Alpha's Mage (Wild Magic #1)
  • An Echo in the Sorrow (Soulbound, #6)
  • Deven and the Dragon
  • Fluke and the Faithless Father (The Fantastic Fluke, #2)
  • Wildfire (Sons of Olympus #1)
  • The Faerie Hounds of York
  • The Prince's Dragon (Fire and Valor #2)
  • Wonderstruck (Magic in Manhattan #3)
LGBT > Gay