Start by marking “Word Nerd: More Than 17,000 Fascinating Facts about Words” as Want to Read:
Word Nerd: More Than 17,000 Fascinating Facts about Words

Word Nerd: More Than 17,000 Fascinating Facts about Words

From the best-selling author of '14,000 Things To Be Happy About' comes a compendium of more than 18,000 fascinating facts about words. Practical enough to use as a dictionary and fun enough to use as a conversation piece, 'Word Nerd' is aimed at the nerd in all of us.
Published June 1st 2007 by Sourcebooks

To ask other readers questions about Word Nerd, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Word Nerd

Kiersten
This is a hilarious, useful, random book. I'd highly recommend it - and if you are already a lover of words, this is an absolute must-read!
Lyndy
Jun 06, 2008 rated it liked it
This book is interesting-- and it wasn't that I really didn't like it enough to finish it, just that I don't have time to read a dictionary!
Dan
Sep 10, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: reference
Very very interesting book on the nature of words and their original meanings.
Tamara Evans
Jan 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
A wonderful book for people who love words and learning interesting facts about how words are used.
Steven
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"Word Nerd" is awesome. This book contains much beloved wisdom of word origins.
Kathrynn
Mar 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is interesting because the book that I own looks EXACTLY like this one, same ISBN, same publication date, same number of pages, except one minor detail. My book title is:

"Word Nerd More than 17,000 Fascinating Facts About Words"

I guess I got fewer facts! ;-)

I searched the Internet and all the titles that I could find say 18,000 facts. Go figure?

Somebody doesn't have their "facts" together... (Sorry. I couldn't resist that one.)

As for the book contents: I like it. This is the same person tha
Mazie
Mar 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite book. I'm a nerd like that.
Anna
Jan 11, 2010 marked it as to-read
Shelves: nonfiction
I check this out from the library and realized it read more like a dictionary. I still would like to go through this book, but I need to buy it so I can do it at a leisurely pace.
David
Well, I think we all know my particular weakness by now. Rosie is more likely to bear the Donald's lovechild than I to leave the store without this addition to my collection.
Heather
Aug 04, 2013
Hillary Marek
Dec 16, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
  • The Dord, the Diglot, and an Avocado or Two: The Hidden Lives and Strange Origins of Common and Not-So-Common Words
  • More Anguished English: An Exposé of Embarrassing Excruciating, and Egregious Errors in English
  • I Never Knew There Was a Word For It
  • Red Herrings and White Elephants
  • 100 Words Almost Everyone Confuses and Misuses
  • Why You Say It: The Fascinating Stories Behind Over 600 Everyday Words and Phrases
  • Ken Jennings's Trivia Almanac: 8,888 Questions in 365 Days
  • Mortal Syntax: 101 Language Choices That Will Get You Clobbered by the Grammar Snobs--Even If You're Right
  • 'Isms & 'Ologies: All the Movements, Ideologies and Doctrines That Have Shaped Our World
  • The Art of Syntax: Rhythm of Thought, Rhythm of Song
  • Death Sentences: How Cliches, Weasel Words and Management-Speak Are Strangling Public Language
  • Euphemania: Our Love Affair with Euphemisms
  • Story Structure Architect
  • The Grouchy Grammarian: A How-Not-To Guide to the 47 Most Common Mistakes in English Made by Journalists, Broadcasters, and Others Who Should Know Better
  • The Careful Writer
  • The Word Museum: The Most Remarkable English Words Ever Forgotten
  • Artful Sentences: Syntax as Style
  • The Knowledge Book: Everything You Need to Know to Get By in the 21st Century
Dr. Barbara Ann Kipfer (born in 1954) is a lexicographer,as well as an archaeologist. She has written more than 60 books, including 14,000 Things to be Happy About (Workman), which has more than a million copies in print and has given rise to many Page-a-Day calendars. The 25th anniversary edition of the book was published in October 2014. She is the editor of Roget's International Thesaurus.

Kipfe