Start by marking “Versions of Her” as Want to Read:
Versions of Her

Versions of Her

On the surface, Melanie Kingstad-Keyes’s life is the picture of success. She’s a tenure track professor at a prestigious university and has a perfect husband. But a recent miscarriage has left her reeling and her marriage tenuous. Selling her family’s Lake Indigo summer home, which she hasn’t visited in fifteen years, feels like the perfect distraction from her problems. N ...more
Published July 23rd 2019 by Red Adept Publishing, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Versions of Her, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Versions of Her

Start your review of Versions of Her
Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews
A secret door covered by a tapestry that Kelsey and her sister Melanie were never allowed to move when they were children held and hid secrets of its own.

The secret door allowed Kelsey and Melanie to see their mother’s life and to see her secrets, heartaches, and feelings that they never knew about.

I’m not sure how I would feel if I could see what my mother’s life had been like, but it would be quite interesting.

The current problem now that they found this door, though, was that Kelsey and Mel
Whispering Stories
May 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Book Reviewed on www.whisperingstories.com

Versions of Her is a beautiful, heart-warming story complimented with a lovely bit of fantasy to take us away from everyday life.

The book is not my normal choice of genre to read but sometimes it is good to step out of our comfort zones.

In the beginning, we meet Melanie and her sister Kelsey who are staying at their family lake-side summer home. I was already intrigued to find out what the sister and their summer house had to offer.

The descriptive narrat
Jeanne Adamek
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have a favorite book of the year 2019! It is amazing how Andrea Lochen can take a lot of things that I love to read and bring them in a new fresh crisp way... the feeling I got reading this was magical. So good that I am planning on re-reading. Maybe around Christmas?

Melissa
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It had been a while since I read a novel by Andrea Lochen (I still need to add Imaginary Things to my TBR pile), but I remember how much I enjoyed her debut, The Repeat Year, and the premise of this novel sounded equally fascinating. I love that she has a different way of expressing time travel in both novels.

Versions of Her is a really sweet story about family relationships, between sisters and between mothers and daughters. With the time travel aspect, some parts of the story needed suspensio
Monica
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Two different sisters or not so different, decided on selling their family's Lake Indigo summer home. They were both in need of some distraction from their own problems.
Their thoughts about the house, their childhood, their mother who recently passed, made them reluctant to let go but afraid to learn something new.

Memories are all we can take with us, but if we found out not everything was what we thought… That house, that door tells a secret.

It's a beautiful book, well-written and well-paced st
Melissa Borsey
Oct 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a lovely story about two sisters getting the family summer home ready to be sold after the death of their mother. They find a portal which allows them to see their mother in the past. This could be a game changer. I really enjoyed this story from beginning to end. I thank Librarything for the opportunity to read and review this creative and entertaining read.
Jeannie Zelos
Sep 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Versions of her. Andrea Lochen

Genre: Fantasy, Romance

I was intrigued by this, who wouldn't want to find a portal to the past in their home? Of course there's the danger of seeing and hearing things we really don't want to see, so its kind of a mixed bag. The ethics too – is it really spying? Can it be compared to reading someones diary?

Melanie and Kelsey are sisters, but very different in nature from each other. On the surface Melanie is Mrs Successful, with her job, husband, and perfect home
LORI (Dollycas) CASWELL
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2019
Dollycas’s Thoughts

Sisters can be as different as night and day and that is the case with Melanie Kingstad-Keyes and Kelsey Kingstad. Melanie has always been driven and Kelsey is more laid back. But Melanie has recently suffered a miscarriage and the life she has planned so carefully may not come to fruition. Kelsey is having trouble dealing with her mother’s death and it is affecting her life. Their father has remarried and left the area. They try to get together for the holidays.

Melanie has de
Kristina
Jul 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Versions of Her is the first novel I have read by Andrea Lochen and it will not be my last. I was immediately drawn into the intriguing story and I wanted to keep reading to see what would happen next. I thought Versions of Her was well-written and it had a good flow. I thought the characters were realistic and relatable. The sister’s relationship was an accurate representation as it reminded me of my relationship with my sister. Siblings may have the same parents, but they have differing person ...more
Amy Dierksmeier
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have read all three books by Andrea Lochen. While I enjoyed them all, this was my favorite. I couldn't wait to see what would happen next. Not only did the overall plot of the adventures through the secret door grab hold of my curiosity, but each of the sub-plots was equally engaging. Whether it was the adventures in Kelsey's love life or the recent struggles in Melaine's relationship with her husband, I kept turning the page to find out what would happen next. I highly recommend this book to ...more
Diane
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! It hooked me from Page 1. All the characters were well drawn and likable and the relationship between the sisters Melanie and Kelsey was authentic as was what they thought they knew about their mother. I was fascinated with the door that gave them glimpses into their mother's past and their struggle to decide whether to keep using it. To me, the book was about how hard it can be to forgive ourselves sometimes, and I could certainly relate to that theme. Well done! ...more
Mrs Mommy Booknerd http://mrsmommybooknerd.blogspot.com
FirstLine ~ Kelsey was running late, of course.

Such a powerful story about a mother and her daughters. A story that spans time and place, tugging at the heartstrings the entire time. Deeply written with multidimensional characters that are believable and those you can relate to. It was a powerful and thought provoking book that kept me buzzing through the pages! I loved it!
Mollie
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have read all three of Andrea’s books and they just keep getting better and better! With this one, I wished that I could quit my job just so I could keep reading! Now that I have finished, I am eagerly awaiting Andrea’s next book.

Excellently written, 'Versions of Her' kept me enthralled from the first page. The book tells the story of two sisters, Melanie and Kelsey, who must decide what to do with their family’s lake house after the previous long-term renters leave. Although Melanie wants to
Robin Reynolds
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
*received from the author and voluntarily reviewed*

What a lovely story! You know how you start reading a book, and it's enjoyable, and you're thinking it'll be at least three stars, probably four. And then somewhere, you're not sure exactly where, it becomes a five star book, and you're not even half finished. The writing started out solid and flowing rather effortlessly and then became enveloping as time passed unnoticed.
Sometimes she wanted to physically shake the hope out of him until he was
Judy
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I briefly met this author at a book festival (SE WI Festival of Books) a few years ago. PS A great event for authors and readers, alike. I digress....After meeting and browsing her first book The Repeat Year, I bought and read the book. How cool. I "knew" the author of the book I was reading. I enjoyed that book and her 2nd book very much. She has a slightly different approach to common themes. When I knew her 3rd book was coming out. I pre-ordered and couldn't wait to receive. I received it and ...more
Susan (The Book Bag)
I read Andrea's previous book, Imaginary Things, and loved it. I was so excited when she contacted me about reading Versions of Her, her new book which just came out. I loved this one just as much!

Melanie and Kelsey find themselves at their family cabin on the lake, getting it ready to sell so they can move on with their lives. They soon discover a hidden door that takes them into past moments of their mother's life. What they find there has them reeling and questioning everything they thought t
Steph Hundt
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a stunning novel by the amazingly talented Andrea Lochen! This book will keep you hooked until the very last page! I have read and enjoyed each of Lochen's 3 novels immensely but I have to say this one is my very favorite. The story centers around two sisters and the mystery they uncover when going back to the family lake house they visited as children. As I read this extremely engaging novel many questions came up for me. How would i feel I could enter a portal to the past? Which days woul ...more
Isabelle Grey
Mar 13, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: very-enjoyable
I hate the tag "women's fiction" cuz guess what? Fiction doesn't have a gender. Stories are stories and if they're good, people will read them. It's that easy.

And on a totally different topic: thank you Bookbub for this 99 cent read! It was a nice way to pass my afternoon!

Melanie and Kelsey are sisters, sisters who while close in age couldn't be more different. Melanie is married, has a career as a professor at a respected university and Kelsey is working a dead-end job at a dog kennel. They've
Dr. Raye of Sunshine
Apr 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020-reads
Imagine you revisit your family’s lake house now that you’re an adult and you stumble upon a gateway to your family’s past.

Immediately that premise had me intrigued. I’m so glad I decided to pick up this book. While I don’t have any sisters and my only brother and I have zero in common and aren’t connected with each other at all, I found myself wishing for the aggravation of having a sister as is described in this book.

Someone who frustrates you to no end but is also there for you when push com
Sindhu S
Sep 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
A heart-warming, thought-provoking, believable fantasy book.
- Heart-warming because it talks of the great relationship between two sisters with distinctly different personalities.
- Thought-provoking because it dwells on parents as individuals, their life choices, and related sacrifices.
- Believable because of the many stories old-timers used to tell about my ancestral home. It was huge with large inter-connected buildings set in a six-acre plot; dark, dingy passages; small rooms tucked away f
Carrie
Oct 11, 2020 rated it liked it
I liked the concept of this book. The idea of being able to see your family member’s memories and experiences rather than Han through a journal/diary was interesting. I think what threw me off a little was that this seemed to be 2 different stories in 1. There was the story about the sisters, their lives and relationship, and then there was the story about the sisters and the connection to their mom and her memories. I was hoping that there would be some sort of connection between what was happe ...more
Jenna
Mar 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was wonderful. The sisters and their relationship - how different they are from each other - their motivations and feelings - the different periods in time - and wrapping it all up but leaving me wanting more - Incredibly done. The author's ability to write in one POV and still have the reader feel the POV of another character in a scene was masterful.

The "suspend disbelief" part of the book worked so well I never questioned it - with the exception of it vanishing at the end. (I think beca
Susan Swiderski
Apr 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
The whole concept of being able to step out of a tiny hidden room and into an earlier point of time in one's mother's life is deliciously intriguing, isn't it? I mean, we've all seen photos of our moms as youngsters, as teens, as young adults... wouldn't it be a trip (literally!) to see them in the flesh and share their earlier experiences? To better understand them, and possibly ourselves?

But visiting the past may also reveal secrets that we might not want to know...

I thoroughly enjoyed this bo
Janet Barclay
Nov 22, 2020 rated it liked it
My mother was a very private person, and once she was gone, my sister and I realized that she was probably not as happy as she'd have had us believe. For that reason, I was drawn to this story of two sisters given the opportunity to explore their mother's past after her death.

It was interesting to see how the two sisters differed in their personalities, lifestyles, and viewpoints, and how their relationship evolved over the course of the novel. I really enjoyed reading it and was always eager t
Terri
Dec 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I listened to the audio version of this book. Versions of Her was a Women's Literature book with some interesting time travel thrown in.
The premise is that in getting a family property ready to sell, sisters Kelsey and Melanie discover a secret door that allows them to travel back in time to witness different times and events in the life of their now dead mother. The events aren't always what they expect and are sometimes very shocking to them.
Both girls also have things going on in their lives
Tara
Jan 28, 2021 rated it it was amazing
WOW! Loved this book!

I didn’t realize it had a bit of time travel when I started the book. It was fantastic and so well written!

Melanie and Kelsey are sisters that are different as night and day yet love each other and try to find their balance.

Melanie and her husband Ben have a marriage that is real. Melanie, at times, I wanted to shake, but all in all I could understand.

Kelsey usually looks for love in all the wrong places.

The family home at Indigo Lake brings all together with help from Chris
Cecelia Hopkins-Drewer
Sep 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I’m always on the lookout for a book I will really enjoy. I thought by the cover, this might be one. As I read, I was truly engaged. I did not “agree” with everything in the story.

My sympathy was with Melanie, and I felt Kelsey got her own way, with little compensation for Melanie. My heart ached for her and I ask – what will make up for the financial means to afford more treatment?

The blurb almost put me off reading, making it sound like the mother was going to be a shocker. But no, she was j
Lesley
Mar 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely fabulous read! I’ve personally never read one of Andrea Lochens books before (and I believe this is her third) but I’ll definitely be reading her in the future. It was a fun read but also had a believable story line, friction and misunderstanding between two sisters who find a portal and are able to ‘spy’ on their late mothers past, who wouldn’t fancy doing that lol.

Highly recommend great for lazing on the beach or round a pool, so well written you don’t have to flick back to see whos
Patricia
May 28, 2020 rated it liked it
Over all the book was alright. I wavered between 2/3 stars but webt with 3 since I feel that's more accurate.
The first 100 pages I dove in and was really intrigued. Loved the characters of the sisters and even their mother.
From there on I found myself forcing myself to finish the book. The story became boring to me, too drawn out perhaps? I grew bored with the back and forth in the closet etc.
The book ended really well for me so that picked me back up and I love the lines in the final chapter.
Debbie Berris
Mar 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An unusual and inspiring book

There are several books about traveling through time that come to mind, but none as contemporary as this one. Melanie and Kelsey are beautifully wrought characters, particularly to someone who has sisters and understand the complex relationships they share. I loved this book because of its insight and understanding into relationships and because of its light-handed touch with the material. I so much want to go and stay at that lakeside B & B.

• The Disharmony of Silence
  • Life, Part 2: Lydia's Story--The Second Chance (Life in Palmyrton Book 1)
  • Better Than This
  • Give, A Novel
  • The Image Seeker (Bold Women of the 20th Century Book 3)
  • Beach Plum Island
  • Be Careful Who You Marry: How different would your life have been if you had married someone else?
  • The Patient
  • Nowhere Near Goodbye
  • Emerald
  • The Place We Call Home
  • Answer Creek
  • The Dark Side
  • The Two Lila Bennetts
  • The Stranger's Wife (Detective Dan Riley, #3)
  • The Other Daughter
  • One Last Greek Summer
  • The Color of Hope (The Color of Heaven, #3)
Andrea Lochen is the author of three novels: VERSIONS OF HER, IMAGINARY THINGS and THE REPEAT YEAR. She earned her Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing from the University of Michigan. She teaches college writing and lives in Wisconsin with her husband, two small children, and adorably fluffy dog, Maddy.