Start by marking “The Argument” as Want to Read:
The Argument

The Argument

It happens to every mother. One day, the daughter whose whole world you once were, becomes someone you barely know. And you don’t know the secrets she’s hiding…

One hot summer night, 15-year-old Olivia comes home late from a party she was strictly forbidden from going to, and she and her mother, Hannah, start arguing. Soon Olivia speaks the words that every parent has heard
Published December 10th 2019 by Bookouture (first published December 6th 2019)

Start your review of The Argument
Carrie
Dec 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
The Argument by Victoria Jenkins is a psychological thriller that is centered around one family’s drama. The story begins with a mother, Hannah, and her daughter, Olivia carrying out that ages old teenage rebellion argument of how parents just don’t understand with the point of view switching between mother and daughter throughout the book.

Hannah is home alone while her husband is away working when she catches her teenage daughter sneaking back into their home. Olivia had been told repeatedly th
Mark
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Isn’t ‘argument’ one of those words that you always spell wrong? it is me
Anyway this book is anything but just an argument, in fact my only small criticism is the title which really doesn’t do the book justice
It starts as a good family drama, obviously building a picture for us all and hinting that there is more to come
And come it does, once it starts there is no stopping and it has to be one of the most shocking set of twists in a book this year
It made me feel disgust, horror and incredulity as
Louise Wilson
Dec 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Olivia goes to a party without her parents consent. This then starts a chain of events. All Hannah and Michael wanted was to keep their two daughters safe. Olivia has reached her mid teens and has become quite rebellious.shes acting completely out of character at school and she's giving her parents the silent treatment. She's getting noticed but for all the wrong reasons.

Nearly the first 70% is about family drama rather than a thrilling read. Hannah is not the best role model. She's quite a des
Natalia  R
Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Argument by Victoria Jenkins is a twisted psychological thriller that kept me guessing. We follow the perspectives of Hannah and her fifteen-year-old daughter Olivia. Hannah loves being a stay-at-home mom. She has two beautiful daughters, a lovely home, and a husband who loves her dearly. She knows that she's a bit strict and overprotective of her children but she has their best interests at heart. Olivia is sick and tired of being told what to do by her parents and is determined to break al ...more
Chloe
Dec 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley
Hannah is a stay-at-home mom with two beautiful daughters, a beautiful home, and a loving husband .Hannah is home alone while her husband is away working when she catches her rebellious 15 year old Olivia sneaking back home after a late night party.

When Hannah smells alcohol on Olivia it triggers the argument between the two which results in Olivia not talking to her mom for several days . Then the house is broken into and other strange things start to happen and secrets are revealed.

The Argume
Linda Strong
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It starts off with daughter Olivia being told by mom Hannah that she cannot attend a party. Being 15 years old, she's doing what most teenagers do .... sneak out of the house and attend the party anyway. After all... what can happen ... right?

Hannah waits up, worrying about her daughter, especially since her husband is out of town working. When Olivia finally gets home, she's slightly tipsy, and the argument begins.

What parent has never heard ... I hate you ... I'm never going to speak to you a
Monnie
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
To say that the family in this story is royally screwed up is an understatement. The parents don't have the least bit of redeeming social value as human beings, although by the end it was pretty clear how they came to be that way. The best I can say is that others in the story - themselves seriously flawed - managed to escape, though certainly not unscathed.

While I can't say I really "enjoyed" the book, I can't deny the almost inescapable "can't put it down" aspect. Had I not started it on an ev
Bill Kupersmith
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
I gave this one two stars because from the back matter, it seemed the author likes her readers and wants to entertain them and also cares about issues of domestic abuse. But that did not save this book, which went from slow and tedious for the first 2/3 to utterly preposterous. It is easy to create mystery when the characters hide not only the thoughts that preoccupy them, but even what they read, write, hear, and see from the reader. Daughter Olivia's bizarre behaviour seems mysterious till we ...more
Robin Loves Reading
Okay, any parent of teens know what silent treatment is. That is the premise of this incredible psychological thriller by Victoria Jenkins.

Olivia, 15-years-old, came home from a party late one night. She knew she was going to be in big trouble, but she really didn't care. However, her actions led to a major rift with her mother and they then got into a huge argument. Olivia leaves the room furiously, determined not to speak to her mother any time soon. Ever, in fact.

Her mother, Hannah, has a har
Sue
THE ARGUMENT is a psychological thriller by Welsh author, Victoria Jenkins, who has made a name for herself writing the highly popular Detective King and Lane series of novels. This is a standalone novel that tests the limits of a family before it breaks.

Fifteen-year-old Olivia is everything her younger ten-year-old sister, Rosie isn’t, wild, stubborn and always questioning everything. Her mother, Hannah has her hands full. Hannah is home alone with her daughters while her husband, Michael is al
Amber
Dec 31, 2019 rated it did not like it
Arrrghhhh! While it seems I’m in the minority here , I really didn’t enjoy The Argument. 90% was pretty boring and the other 10% where all the ‘action’ happened was in my opinion ,ridiculous.
Thank you next !
Nicole
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
Thank you so much to Bookouture and Netgalley for allowing me to read and review this book. Unfortunately, I did not enjoy this book as much as I had hoped that I would. I read the premise and right away I was hooked and knew that I had to read it. It sounded like a book that would be suspenseful and very relatable. The synopsis let us know that this was going to be about a tumultuous mother-daughter relationship, which I feel like every girl who has ever been a teenager can relate to. The early ...more
ʚϊɞ Shelley's ʚϊɞ Book Nook
I had high hopes for The Argument. I was instantly intrigued by the book description and the premise of the tale. Initially, the story was very compelling and I thought I was going to love the whole book. However, by the midway point, the writing style seemed to change from quick and concise, to a slow-moving narrative and I began to lose interest. When I finally reached the end of the book, the author rushed through the story in an unrealistic fashion.

I liked this book but did not love it. I w
Leoni Dempsey
May 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fab book - 5 stars ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ What a twist! 😮 Just when you think you understand what is going on and the path the story is taking you down, there is a big unexpected and shocking twist! This was a fast paced short read which packs a punch. You never know what goes on behind closed doors and the image families portray to the outside world is not always what they seem. Will definitely be reading more books by this author in the future 😊
Stina
After enjoying Victoria Jenkins' King and Lane series I was disappointed with her last book, "The Divorce" , which was her first in the thriller genre. With THE ARGUMENT I was hoping for something a little more intriguing...and I must say I was pleasantly surprised. A book that is surrounded by a single argument sounded fascinating.

The story surrounds Hannah Walters, a stay at home mum, with two beautiful but equally different daughters - Olivia and Rosie. With a loving husband, Michael and a
Kat Dietrich

The Argument by Victoria Jenkins is a psychological thriller.

First, let me thank NetGalley, the publisher Bookouture, and of course the author, for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

My Synopsis: (No major reveals, but if concerned, skip to My Opinions)
The argument between Hannah and her 15-year old daughter Olivia was the beginning. Olivia had snuck out of the house to go to a party she was told she was not allowed to attend. Did Ol
Caroline Bertaud
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
The problem with catch phrases on book covers is that they tend to oversell the story—and sure, maybe it sells more books, but readers will look at it more severely had the catch phrases not been there. In here, I was therefore to expect a “gripping psychological thriller” with “an incredible twist.” Instead of gripping, it stalled and felt bleak. I didn't guess the twist, but I'll be damned if any reader does. When it finally came—80% in, no less—I just wanted to close the book and be done with ...more
Tracy
Dec 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting look inside a family presenting a façade of perfection to the outside world, Then. . . when behind closed doors - it gets real - and with some seriously abusive dysfunctional familial relationships going on. When dark family secrets are uncovered - exposing years of horrendous shame and deceit, the truth is out, but at what cost? Should some secrets be kept if the the truth does more harm to innocents than good? Food for thought.

Thank you, Ms. Jenkins for shining a light on a topic
Shalini
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Whoa!! What a book!! It is twisted in darkness, wrapped in delusion, and shaded in hypnotism. A brainwashing of sorts. Victoria Jenkins best book to date.

Mother and daughter can have a rocky relationship. This pair did too. Olivia sneaked out for a party, mom was angry. Mobile phone was taken as the punishment. Olivia stopped talking to mom. For many days. Then one day she did. And secrets popped up, crawling slithering worms which left devastation.

Having read most of her books, I expected a s
Denise
Dec 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a seriously twisted domestic drama that starts out slowly and shatters with a deviation that I really didn't expect. Sure, mothers and teenaged daughters don't always see eye to eye...

Whenever I see the words, psychological thriller, I get a bit blasé. I've read hundreds of them and pride myself on spotting those important clues that give away the direction long before the denouement. Since this novel is narrated by both mother and daughter, I figured one of them had to be unreliable. Is
Javier
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
How many times have you seen a book cover that says there's an incredible twist in the story, and then when you read it you're like "wait, that was the incredible twist? I saw it coming from a mile away!"? Well, "The argument" is not that book. The TWIST (and I write that in caps that incredible of a twist it was) made my jaw hit the floor when it happened.

I will keep my review short cause I don't wanna give anything away. For the first half of the book it's more of a domestic suspense story, w
Bridget
The Argument by Victoria Jenkins is a seriously twisted domestic drama that starts slowly and then shatters with a deviation that I really didn't anticipate.

One night, Hannah Walters' 15-year-old daughter, Olivia, comes home late from a party she was forbidden from going to, and they start arguing. Soon, Olivia speaks the words that every parent has heard from their teenage child: ‘I hate you. You’ve ruined my life. And I’m never speaking to you again.’ The following day, Olivia is not talking
Crystal Hiatt
Jan 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wom2021
WOW...I did not see that coming!!
This book knocked me backwards, slapped me across the face and left my jaw on the floor.
In fact, I'm seriously considering pressing charges ;)

The teenage years! That awkward, angsty, hormonal age where you walk a fine line between childhood and adulthood. It's also that unfortunate time when teenage girls develop a heated love/hate relationship with their mothers.
I'm glad to have all that over and done with! But for fifteen year old Olivia and her mother Hann
Bookworm
Nov 22, 2020 rated it it was ok
Not the thriller I was expecting! The first 75% was SLOW...way too slow. Yawn. It focused on a mother and daughter's tumultuous relationship. 15 year old Olivia thinks her mom is way too strict. After all, she's not allowed to go to parties like other girls her age. While Hannah, the mother, believes her daughter is too immature and needs strict rules to keep her safe. The plot alternates between Olivia and Hannah's perspectives.

The final 25% had some action but required a serious dose of reali
Julie Lacey
Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a great psychological thriller that took me by surprise.
The book is about an argument between Olivia and her mum but there is so much more to it than that. After the argument Olivia refuses to speak to her parents and things spiral out of control from there.
I can’t say much more about the story as I really don’t want to spoil it for you.
I didn’t feel empathy for either Hannah or her daughter at first, and I think this was intentional.
This is a great story that has a shocking twist in
Angie
Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
**Publication Date: December 10, 2019**

Stars: ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Unique mystery...

PLOT SUMMARY: Olivia is fifteen and having a serious argument with her mother Hannah. After uncharacteristically attending a party without permission, and rather than airing out their differences like normal people, Olivia chooses to maintain the silent treatment with her mother. She will not speak one word to her. And when her father returns home from his business trip, well, she will maintain silence with him too. The only fami
Marnie | Once Upon a Time Book Blog
Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
Having enjoyed Victoria’s first psychological thriller The Divorce, I was really excited to hear that she was releasing another book this year. The Argument is an intriguing read and packed with family drama in every sense of the word. The real surprise comes as a twist to end all twists that will have your head spinning!

Victoria has crafted a plot that from reading the blurb had me hooked. It is intense, gripping and very compelling. It is a slow burn to start with, but as the story progresses
The Book Gawdess
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I got a free advance readers’ copy in exchange for my honest review.

Teenaged girls and their mothers tend to have very tumultuous relationships. And many times, when there are two daughters, one tends to be harder to control than the other. I should know. Lol. Between my sister and I, I was always the rebellious one. Lord knows how my mother was able to handle me.

The Argument starts off with such a relationship. Olivia is fifteen and extremely rebellious. Her mother, Hannah, is at her wits' end
Renee
Dec 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley2019
When Hannah's 15-year-old daughter Olivia defies her parents and sneaks out to a party, I thought, ok, not great behavior, but how many teenagers have done the same thing. Olivia's response when caught isn't odd either, she tells her mother she hates her and will never speak to her again. Then some strange events start happening to Hannah, and she is sure she knows who is to blame. Not her younger daughter and certainly not her husband, which means Olivia must have an agenda and Hannah does like ...more
Shuhada Ramli
Dec 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Rating : 5 stars

Review :
I was glued to the book from the beginning. The element of mystery and suspense grabbed my attention. The more I read it, the more I have to pay extra attention to the characters. The plot appeared to be very interesting and each movement intrigued me badly. I was captured by the psychotic surrounding that caused me to keep on asking myself who is the real crazy person in this book? Did I not read it carefully? I kept clenching my fist in one of the nasty scenes. The bo
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• The Man She Married
  • The Stranger's Wife (Detective Dan Riley, #3)
  • Reputation
  • The Last Affair
  • Her Last Whisper (Detective Katie Scott, #2)
  • Single
  • The New Husband
  • In Her Eyes
  • One Mistake
  • Dark Hollows
  • Cross and Burn (Tony Hill & Carol Jordan, #8)
Victoria Jenkins is a Welsh author who has made a name for herself writing the highly popular Detective King and Lane series of novels. The first novel in the series was “The Girls In The Water” that Jenkins first published in 2017, to much critical acclaim and popularity among crime fiction fans.
The series of novels features Detective Constable Chloe Lane and Detective Inspector Alex King, who a

News & Interviews