Start by marking “Another Dead Intern” as Want to Read:
Another Dead Intern

Another Dead Intern

A typical internship: coffee & copies. Morgan Burns's new internship with PI Hemlock Connal: fairies, magic, drugs, & dying.

Hemlock Connal can't keep interns alive. Morgan Burns is trying to break that trend, but finds survival to be an uphill battle. Faced with mobsters, drug rings, covens, and even fantastical beasts, will Morgan find a paycheck... or a grave?

Another Dea
Published October 15th 2019 by Independent

To ask other readers questions about Another Dead Intern, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Another Dead Intern

Start your review of Another Dead Intern
Janet Newport
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you BookSprout and Joel Spriggs for this arc.

What a fun world. This was an easy fast paced read for me. The story never let up. There were great characters throughout and they mostly felt real.

I do hope Joel keeps these stories coming.

I received a free copy of this book via Booksprout and am voluntarily leaving a review
Lukasz
Another Dead Intern entertains. Not always subtly, not every joke lands, but I can see it winning readers tired of way-too-serious end-of-the-world narratives. Its tone varies from the pulpy to the dramatic, with the occasional escalation of violence.

Henlock, a snarky protagonist banished from the fae world for misbehavior, needs a new intern - their life span by her side is usually short. Her new applicant, Morgan, prefers to stay alive, though, as he helps her solve supernatural crimes. Will
Paul Blake
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm a big fan of Joel Spriggs' writing and Another Dead Intern didn't let me down. A constant thread of humour kept me smiling throughout along with an interesting other-world that I can't wait to find out more about in future books. Morgan and Hemlock are great characters that playoff against each other really well. Cannot wait for the next one.
Iseult Murphy
Oct 14, 2019 rated it liked it
A fun, exciting urban fantasy with great characters and an exciting plot. I particularly liked Hemlick and Queen Fand, and all the little spells and tricks the Sidhe can do. The only let down with this book was that I didn’t feel particularly close to any of the characters. It would have been nice to know their thoughts and feelings. However, I hope there will be more Hemlock adventures and if so, I look forward to reading them.
I received an advanced reader copy of this book from Booksprout in
Judy Ferrell
Jun 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Fae detective and the intern.

When Hemlock takes Morgan as an intern neither knows just how hard the case will be to solve. The paranormal mystery is a riveting adventure. It will hold you r attention while you try to figure who the real bad guy is.
Jeff Fuller
Jun 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Very interesting concept. I do love the magical element to what would have otherwise been a crime or investigative style of story. Very interesting characters to say in the least with Hemlock being the lead investigator while at the same time having a supernatural element to her. She does have a problem in that her interns seem to keep dying which makes investigating cases difficult. The story does appear to have a dark comedy element to it more than a traditional detective and crime story. The ...more
Kelly-Marie Pollock
Jun 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
A great introduction to what promises to be a dark, gritty urban fantasy series. Humour, suspense and old fashioned detective work. Great read. The pacing slowed in areas but overall I definitely recommend this book.
Andrew
Dec 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Picked this up via Kindle Unlimited on a whim and discovered an entertaining piece of fantasy/noir. The story wastes no time in getting started, and like it's titular (not dead yet) intern, we are thrown right into this world of supernatural beings in and around Boston, and the strange case Morgan the intern and his new boss Hemlock get involved with. It kept me interested the whole way, and the ending twist was definitely unexpected.

While not perfect (it felt rushed in some places and could ha
Jodi Sweet
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a totally different type of book for me, and I loved it! Hemlock is a trip and Morgan is just naive enough, but not to the point that he’s useless. He’s actually quite good as Hemlock’s new intern. I can’t wait to read more about these two and their P.I. business.
Alexandra Wilde
Apr 10, 2020 rated it liked it
Another Dead Intern by Joel Spriggs is a fresh take on the urban fantasy genre. Based in a world where the Sidhe, witches and wizards, and demons all exist quietly among humans, the story features Morgan Burns, a young man who takes on an internship with Hemlock Connal, P.I. (that’s preternatural investigator, obviously, not private investigator). The only issue is Hemlock’s interns have a really nasty habit of dying on her.

I enjoyed this story and the concept behind it. It was kind of like a no
Anders Haywood
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great new Paranormal Investigator series!

I have read quite a few new Paranormal Investigation books, that I've not bothered to review because they were carbon copies of themselves. This book was different enough that I had some fun reading through it and learning the lore.
Firstly, to start with the bad parts, I wasn't sure about the universe of the book, because the main protagonist experiences some supernatural strangeness in his 'job interview' but he doesn't react. This made me question whe
Pat Eroh
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a great paranormal story with lots of action and a fun storyline. Morgan and Hemlock are a great team of paranormal detectives and this author brings them alive in this story.

Dominic
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book has a flavoring of the Dresden Files. Urban fantasy with an investigator using magical abilities to solve crimes. It is definitely its own beast though. Science may be able to explain a lot of things but there is still plenty of room in the modern world for magic.
B.A. Ellison
May 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
What a fun ride, with some wonderful characters and well-crafted world building! When I stepped into this world set in modern day Boston I didn't really know what to expect, but what I found was a world as deep and compelling as many others I have read, and Spriggs accomplishes this in less than 250 pages, no less. The magic system of the world was a lot of fun and well-designed. The backstory given for the characters and events which prelude plot, as well as the breadcrumb trail left along the ...more
Margaret Adelle
Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love satirical takes on fantasy, so when the author offered me a copy of this book for review, I gladly accepted.

The humor is in full effect in this book and it works incredibly well. Morgan Burns is wide-eyed and Midwest-naive in an adorable way, but incredibly resourceful. Hemlock is the perfect kind of sarcastic PI that a book like this needs, despite a background that would make her an overly dramatic heroine in another setting. I particularly liked that Hemlock's relationship with her mo
Rebecca Hefner
Apr 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
What a rare find this book was. It was a satirical take on a paranormal world filled with some laugh out loud moments. The characters and the world created are very engaging, and the dialogue between Hemlock and Morgan is downright spectacular. The action was crisp and the paranormal elements sprinkled throughout were fun and interesting. The author did a great job of moving the story along, although I would've liked a bigger window into the characters' thoughts. Overall, a truly enjoyable story ...more
Kelsey Carter
Jun 11, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: spfbo-6
This was a pretty good book. I liked the relationship between Morgan and Hemlock. In the story we follow himlock a supernatural fairy private investigator who just so happens to be half fairyand her partner or intern Morgan at least try to figure out who’s killing people across the city and stealing their memories. I didn’t really understand some of the humor. But I did like the characters.
Joan Wendland
Aug 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Heaps of fun

This is a fun light read with engaging characters. It’s only missing the fifth star due to the occasional contradictory turn of phrases like “looked down with raised eyes” and “the song hung mutely”. Well worth the read and looking forward to more adventures in this world.
Lindsay
Mar 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What an enjoyable read, I initially wanted to pick this up as kindle but I’m having a paperback year this year and what a great read.
Morgan Burns answers a job advertisement to help a PI and ends up dealing with more than be bargained for.
If you like action with a supernatural edge you’ll love this.
Deidre Owen
May 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a fun, modern fantasy that injects humor into gritty mystery. I enjoyed Joel Spriggs' characters and world building, and the story was engaging.

Sometimes the writing style threw me a bit (specifically the overuse of sentence splicing), and I never could decide whether it was a style choice or an editing oversight. Didn't stop me from enjoying the story, but it did slow me down.
Kathy Brown
Didn't finish.
MARYANN T GLEN
Jan 18, 2020 rated it liked it
Interesting but uneven

Fun read. Lots of inventive ideas but could use a good copy editor. Uneven syntax and sentence construction are distracting
Evita
Mar 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious :) I really enjoyed this book and I do hope Joel makes a series out of it. Fast paced, comic, exciting and much more.
T.J. Fox
Nov 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc-review-copy
Overall: 3/5 Stars
Characters: 3/5 Stars
Peeve Factor: 2.5/5 Stars
World Building: 3/5 Stars
Personal Opinion: 3/5 Stars

The foundation and plot of this story are both really good. I would have given this a higher rating, but it is a little rough around the edges and I kept running into issues that pulled me out of the story.

One of the bigger ones I was never able to quite pinpoint and say “this is an editing issue” or “this is a stylistic thing” because I just could not tell for sure. There are a lo
D Hemmings
Feb 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this book.
Josef
Samantha Murphy
Nov 03, 2020
Chuck
Oct 27, 2019

• Empath Awakening - How to STOP absorbing pain, stress, and negative energy from others and start healing: (A beginner’s survival guide for highly sensitive and empathic people)
  • In the Heart of the Fire (Nameless #1)
  • Bury The Lead
  • Songs for Madeleine
  • We Are Mars (The Rubicon Saga, #1)
  • Karma
  • Storm At Dawn (The Rubicon Saga, #2)
  • Evoke (Lake Haven, #1)
  • Murder at Pirate's Cove (Secrets and Scrabble, #1)
  • Peace Talks (The Dresden Files, #16)
  • Photographing the Dead (Nameless #2)
  • Fated to Meet You
  • Currents of Change
  • Red Rain (Nameless #4)
  • Solomon's Seal (Livi Talbot #1)
  • The Bookshop of Yesterdays
  • Grimm, Grit and Gasoline (Punked Up Fairy Tales, #1)
  • Blood Betrayal (Rule of the Council #2)
Joel Spriggs (1982-?) was born and raised in Frankfort, IN. He graduated from Franklin College of Indiana in 2004 with a Bachelors of the Fine Arts in Computer Science and Broadcast Journalism.

Joel's first novel, "Over A God's Dead Body" was published on the Kindle platform in June 2018 and is the first in a planned series surrounding the same characters and fantasy world.

Joel has successfully de