Start by marking “The Edge of the World” as Want to Read:
The Edge of the World

The Edge of the World

Shay Maloney is living his dreamon tour with his pirate/folk-rock band. But you cant know where youre going until you know where youre from, and thats where moody filmmaker and researcher Ollie Pietruska comes in.

The bands management persuades Shay to let a television company film a documentary about his roots beyond his adoptive Irish family, and Ollie comes into his
Published January 16th 2020 by Fox Love Press (first published July 16th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about The Edge of the World, please sign up.

Start your review of The Edge of the World
Sheri
Anticipation. Yeah, I've had it for months. I've been longing for this story since the blurb caught my eye nearly a year ago. Building and building and when this beauty pinged my inbox last week I was so excited I thought I might burst. But then I was struck with cold feet. What if I didn't like it? What if it missed the high notes? What if I couldn't connect? I was a ball of nerves. I know, I know, it makes no sense. But sometimes, senseless things happen, right? *happy sigh* Of course, I had ...more
Bev
When I saw the blurb I wasn't too sure about this one, folk music is not my jam and genealogy isn't really either so I'm thrilled to say I loved this book. The author nailed the subjects - they were fascinating and added to the story rather than taking away from it.

Shay and Ollie were magic together right from the very beginning, though this was slow burn .... done to perfection. I love how the author peeled back their layers to show the men they really were, though with Shay what you saw was
Snjez
Feb 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was such a lovely story.

At first I wasn't sure if I'd like it since I'm not that into folk music and spending weeks on a tour bus feels like a nightmare to me, but it totally worked here. I also really enjoyed the part where we learned about Shay's roots. I've always found genealogy fascinating.

Shay and Ollie were both very likeable characters. I absolutely loved the slow pace of their relationship. It was so sweet and heartwarming and felt very natural. Although both Shay and Ollie had
Cadiva
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Garrett Leigh understands the human psyche and I'm so glad she went ahead and published this book independently after the whole Dreamspinner debacle (Google it, it's too complicated to summarise here).

In The Edge of the World we get two protagonists who each have complications in their lives which mean it's not an every day boy meets boy, boy falls for boy, boys stroll off into the sunset together narrative (although don't worry, there's definitely a HEA but this is set mostly in England, it
Fabi
Garrett Leigh books are an auto-buy for me. However, that doesn't mean I am going to love each and every story. Some of them I'm only going to like.

I liked this one. But the only thing that took it from an okay story to one I liked was GL's signature characters. You know, the ones that feel like neighbors and friends and maybe even that second cousin.

Shay and Ollie (I love those names!) weren't hard to relate to, but their connection was a little harder to put a finger on. It's a slow burn, but
Karen
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars rounded up...full review to follow...

I dont think a book blurb has ever hooked me quite as much as this one did....

Specifically the second sentence in the blurb which readsBut you cant know where youre going to until you know where youre from, you see when I was a very young girl in grade 8 I had this amazing history teacher and when one of her students expressed that they didnt see why we had to study history she turned to him and said how can you know where youre going to, when you
Norelle
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First book of 2020 :D

At this point, everyone who knows me, knows about how much i love GL books. There is maybe only 2 books of hers that i did not enjoy that much. But this one is not one of them.

I love that Garrett tries to always give characters different backgrounds and professions. I mean - i would be extremely bored if all her books would be about i don't know... army dude and coffee shop owner. Or something like that. I love that she always thinks about something different, gives her
Rachel
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Garrett Leigh books are never going to be full of sunshine and roses, her characters are real, their lives are never pretty and their issues are ongoing but damn their HEA is well earned and you feel like it's completely real. Ollie and Shay were wonderful, their love story totally believable, I'd love to see where they are in 5 years time (hint hint Garrett).
Joyfully Jay
Jan 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: michelle
A Joyfully Jay review.

I seriously love getting a new book from Garrett Leigh. Her characters and dialogue are always excellent and the atmosphere is smooth and comforting, even though her characters are always struggling in some way. It is a balance that sounds impossible to achieve.

Shay is the front man for his band and his talents include singing and songwriting and playing a wide variety of instruments. Hes a musician to his core and his vibe sets the tone for his indie band. But
Sheryl Beesley
Feb 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
my first Garrett Leigh book... and not my last....

what a great slow burn..... my Kindle app almost caught on fire with the looks Shay and Ollie gave each other...
and I was caught up in the genealogy of Shay's background... it would be fun to learn about your family's past and the interesting family members that came before you...
Gillian
Jan 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars rounded up

While I don't think this is Garrett Leigh's best work, I did mostly enjoy this story. My main complaint is that the relationship between the two MC's didn't wow or overwhelm me with feels, something that this author has been particularly good at in previous books, and I really missed feeling that emotional connection between them. I liked them well-enough individually, I just wasn't certain their relationship was all that strong.

Having said that, I did like the premise. I
Charlotte
I loved this novel. This is the first M/M romance I've read in a long time that I was compelled to give my highest rating. Not only is this book well-written and absolutely absorbing! It's got a fantastic cover! The premise for this book is really original... certainly nothing that I've ever read before. Shay is on tour in Ireland with his band, Smuggler's Beat, when Ollie arrives to film a documentary about Shay's family history.

The basis for the documentary is that Shay is adopted and doesn't
Isak+Even
Jan 23, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
It pains me to rate this book as a 3 star because I usually love Garrett Leigh's books. She's an autobuy for me.
I was really looking forward to this book and while it was written in Garrett's distinctive style, it lacked something. I can't pinpoint exactly what, but it did, and unfortunately it didn't work for me as much as I hoped.
It's not a bad book, not at all, but it just didn't give me the Garrett Leigh high I'm used to after finishing one of her books.
Victoria Loves Books
Full of emotion

Whats not to love about this book? This is a beautifully written slow burn romance with tons of emotion. I loved the flawed characters... Characters that touch you in some way or another. I really connected to the story, which is not your typical rock star romance and was so captivated by Shay and Olli's story, that I read in one sitting.
Kim
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love this authors work. This is a mm contemporary story set in the UK. Musician Shay and film maker Ollie are both broken souls. They find each other and the road to love is rough. Excellent writing and story telling. This author is an auto buy for me. ...more
Alex
Feb 16, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, music
2/3
Not for me. I found the story sometimes slow and in some part a little boring...didnt feel the connection between the MC.
Annie
Ive so looked forward to the release of The Edge of the World for some time. Judging by the blurb, I should have inhaled it and based on how long I had anticipated reading it, I expected to do just that, but it took me a long time to fully connect with the story. In the end, I really enjoyed the story of Shay and Ollie and thought it was very unique. Id definitely say that the latter half was my favorite part, but the slow burn of their romance was lovely as a whole.

No surprise as this is one
Ruthie Taylor
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
~~I received a free copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads ~~

This was a very enjoyable book to read - the characters, from the leads to the rest of the band are all interesting, engaging and though flawed, all decent human beings. It was refreshing not to have extreme drama in a band, but rather a real camaraderie and feeling that they all cared for each other and their wellbeing. That said, there is a good mix of dark and light and without doubt the chemistry between Shay and
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was given a copy of this book to read and review for WIcked Reads.

This is the story of a journalist who falls hard for the lead singer of the band he joins on tour. As always with a Garrett Leigh book, the characters are complicated and messy and the attraction that flares between Shay and Ollie isnt easy. I loved the music and I love the way Ollie brings Shays past to life. Its a beautiful story that I thoroughly enjoyed.

This is definitely a book that needs a soundtrack and readers who want
Leelah🍁♋️ Orion
4.5

I.... yeah.... I so enjoyed this book. Stayed up too late enjoying this book. It captured me from the beginning to the end enjoyed this book. The story of these two men. The way they found each other, how they were just drawn to each other was everything. The back story of both was touching, but the build up to their love took you on a freeing journey. It was so cool watching them get there.

The writing was on point, the side characters were perfect and smexy was yummy. My only complaint was
Athira
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbt, fantastic
This book was beautiful. Almost swoon worthy. I fell so connected yo Shay and Ollie. It's a delicious slowburn with dual POV.

It's not your typical rockstar romance. I loved how Shay's family history was revealed through Ollie's genealogy research. Ollie and Shay work together so well. I love the progress of their relationship. You can see them falling in love.

I was really excited to read this when I first saw the blurb and that fantastic cover. I'm glad it worked out in the end with all the
Shirley
Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars

I loved every second of this book. GL has such a knack of making you fall in love with her characters.
I loved the musical element and the small confines of the tour bus as it added to the chemistry between Shay and Ollie. The slow burn was done brilliantly and I enjoyed the slow reveal of Shays family history through Ollies documentary. I loved that Ollie grew confident enough to show Shay who he truly was underneath his façade.
Shay and Ollie were beautiful together another fantastic
Allison
Feb 01, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ku, 2020
I had some problems with this story. The writing and editing are good as is common in Leigh's books, but this just didn't work for me. It felt like nothing was complete, like the story had goals it never really met. Plus the language was very flowery, and that is not what I expect from her nor what she is skilled at. I didn't understand what felt like a sudden connection between the MCs, and it felt like I was told that they cared about each other, but I never really saw it on page. I didn't get ...more
cupcakes and bookshelves
Slow burn romance at it's best. I always know I'm in for such a ride when reading a book by Garrett, and this one didn't disappoint. No-one portrays lifes moments and struggles interwoven with sweetness quite like Garrett. What a treat this was, LOVED IT!
4.5 Stars

*ARC kindly given in exchange for an honest review, thank you so much*
blue night
Jan 25, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rockers
If you like your stories mild and tension free, this is perfect. I usually dont find Garrett Leighs books fit that category, but this one did. I found it unengaging and sort of boring. I guess they cant all be what I want. ...more
Rita
Jan 20, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't love it, I didn't hate it, but I also didn't really get the connection between Ollie and Shay. The book has an interesting premise that came together a bit clunky.
Annie Maus
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Garrett Leighs writing, and found The Edge of the World to be one of her best books. Her characters, Shay and Ollie are highly appealing guys whose flaws only enhance their allure. Whats more, these guarded men unveil themselves in an intriguing manner.

Shay is a shy musical genius who loves his indie band and their road trips, playing and improvising with multiple instruments on stage. When his manager reminds him hes agreed to be filmed while revealing his ancestry, Shay cringes. He
Jacque
Jan 08, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
ARC provided in exchange for an honest review.

I want to start by saying that it's been difficult for me to voice my opinion on this book, and I'm trying to give a fair rating and review here.

I've read all of Garrett Leigh's books, and as a whole I love her writing. She always has had this ability to bring to life her stories with her amazing descriptions and insightful looks on real life issues - be those issues illnesses or physical trauma.

And this book is no exception.

.... and yet I hated
Melissa
Everyone probably already knows Garrett Leigh is one of my favorite authors and I was stoked to have new reading material from her. This woman is a literary genius and the universe that she writes in is so intricately built and her characters are so very normal or broken or just plain real that its so dang easy to relate to them. I mean the way that she takes her characters from other books and gives them their own stories is epic. I always go into a Garrett Leigh book expecting angst and heart ...more
Anne Barwell
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
I love stories that involve music and musicians. I enjoyed how Shays music wound around and through the storyline and how an ethnic instrument tied in with the final reveal about his heritage. I could visualise the bands shows very easily, and I loved the feeling and adrenaline of performance, which I thought the author captured fabulously well. I love Smugglers Beat as the name of the band. Perfect.

Shay and Ollie were both interesting characters who grabbed me right from the beginning and
« previous 1 3 next »

• Pretty Perfect (Boys in Makeup, #1)
  • The Dichotomy of Angels
  • Cancer Ships Aquarius (Signs of Love, #5)
  • The Lost Boy (The Impossible Boy #2)
  • Principles of Spookology (The Spectral Files, #2)
  • Throwing Hearts
  • Virgin Flyer
  • Tough Guy (Game Changers, #3)
  • Danger Zone (The Elite, #1)
  • To Have It All
  • Caulky (Four Bears Construction, #1)
  • Reindeer Games (Ace's Wild, #6)
  • Changing the Rules (Crashing, #3)
  • Shots on Goal (Stick Side #3)
  • A Boyfriend for Christmas
  • Fake It 'til You Make Out (Love & Luck #1)
  • Finding Finley
  • Above and Beyond (Twist of Fate #4)
She/Her

Bonus Material available for all books on Garrett's Patreon account. Includes short stories from Misfits, Slide, Strays, What Remains, Dream, and much more. Sign up here: https://www.patreon.com/garrettleigh

Facebook Fan Group, Garrett's Den... https://www.facebook.com/groups/garre...

Garrett Leigh is an award-winning British writer, cover artist, and book designer. Her debut novel, Slide,

News & Interviews