Start by marking “The Missing Sister” as Want to Read:
The Missing Sister

The Missing Sister

In Paris, her twin sister has vanished, leaving behind three chilling words: Trust no one.

Shayna Darby is finally coming to terms with her parents deaths when shes delivered another blow. The body of her estranged twin sister, Angelathe possible victim of a serial killerhas been pulled from the Seine. Putting whats left of her life on hold, Shayna heads to Paris. But

Published April 1st 2020 by Thomas & Mercer

To ask other readers questions about The Missing Sister, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of The Missing Sister
Dita
Sep 09, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Elle Marr is obviously a talented writer but this is not the kind of book where you just glide through the words and turn pages compulsively. I kept setting this down and picking it up again, struggling to find a rhythm with it.

She wrote good characters and the premise was fantastic but I never felt quite as connected to this book as I hoped. I absolutely recommend it however, as I feel my experience may be unique to me this time.

Thank you to Elle Marr, Thomas & Mercer and NetGalley for
Paige
Mar 01, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller
Waste of time.

Shayna goes to Paris after her sister is found dead. She reads a message in their secret twin language that she is really alive, so decides to retrace the steps of her sisters last days to try and find her.

The story was underdeveloped and mystery was short lived. Ending predictable and it was slow to get there. There is little to no build up for the suspense; I was continuously bored and just wanted to just flip to the last few pages because everything in between was so pointless.
Julie Griffith Buckley
Mar 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Missing Sister captured me on the first page and did not let me go until the last. It explores the depth of the bond between identical twins, in particular, and brothers and sisters, in general. Shayna has come to Paris after the disappearance and possible murder of her identical twin, Angela. All has not been well with the twins of late, and they have not communicated for the past three years. After arriving in Paris, Shayna discovers a message left for her by Angela in a secret language ...more
amanda

Arrete
Cest ici lempire de la mort

Stop
For here is the empire of death

Shayna Darby knows about loss.

She lost both of her parents when she was only 21 years old and now she has to fly to Paris to identify her estranged twin sisters body in the morgue.

When she arrives in France and goes to her sisters apartment she finds a message that only she can decipher:

Alive. Trust no one.

From then on its a race against time to find her twin and discover the truth beneath the layers of lies and the masses of
Andrea Pole
Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
The Missing Sister by Elle Marr is an ambitious novel and, I must admit, I am struggling to articulate my thoughts. The writing and premise are excellent, however I did grapple with the execution of a plot that I think tries to tackle too much, and becomes a bit chaotic at times as a result..

Shayna Darby flies to Paris to identify the body of her twin sister Angela who has purportedly been murdered. While trying to come to grips with this, Shayna sees a coded message that only she and her sister
O Prism
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I delayed reading this book, as I didnt think it would be exciting. Boy, was I wrong - it was EXCELLENT! One twin goes to Paris to search for her missing sister, and finds a clue that she is alive, but to trust no one. There are many dynamics at play here - how twins know things about each other, estrangement, betrayal, trust issues, with each other and nearly everyone they encounter. I thought the story started a little slow and meandering, but the pace quickly picked up, and the ending was a ...more
Angela Groom
Identical twins Angela and Shayna have been estranged for a few years until Angela who lives in Paris goes missing.
Shayna flies from America to try to find her missing sister and finds a message from her sister wrote in a secret script they used growing up. Everyone else thinks shes dead.
Shayna then has to try to discover the truth... Trips to the catacombs, restaurants, secret underground brothels.
Elle Marr is a great writer but I found it difficult to connect to the characters. Shayna seemed
Shkolnikjx
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent book! Had fun reading it, and kept me on my toes the whole time. Great character development and fascinating storyline.
Lynda Kelly
Mar 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is my Kindle First selection for this month. I think all in all I found it a little too heavy on the descriptive for my personal liking, though the story IS an intriguing one. What merited it an additional star for me was that there are NO MISTAKES and if you happen across any of my reviews you'll know this is a bloody miracle !!! It is so impressive and proves it can be done, which is why I get so irritated when 99% of digital books are slung out there with heaps of mistakes.
I was
Jenny
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a twin, so I loved this book, primarily about twins, from the start. When Shayna's sister goes missing in Paris, Shayna has to travel to this unfamiliar city to find out if she's dead or alive, and if alive, where? The author has a great hook at the start, and keeps the reader guessing and urging the protagonist on. A great thriller!

The only two things that turned me off of this book is one, the over-done-ness of the twin thing. I am a twin, and I have never in my life referred to my other
Doris Vandruff
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Angela is missing and her twin sets out to find her. There is a message that she is alive and to trust no one. Surely that warning doesn't extend to her missing twins boyfriend.
In the search for her twin she will encounter all kinds of people. None of them are whom they appear to be.
In the end the only one she can trust is herself. Her determination to find her sister leads her into the most dangerous and difficult places she will ever go. And in the end she does have to learn who to trust and
LianaReads blog
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book so much.
I couldn't stop reading after the first chapter. It's engaging and the mystery is so well done.
I liked the idea of mixed race twins , the description of Paris , all the small details from the taxi drive to the hotel, cafeteria and every shop or surrounding. The underworld as well because we often don't get to much insight about one of the most visited city in the world.
As for the story itself, it's full of mystery and will keep you on the edge until you finished the
Debbie
Nov 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyable. Review to come closer to publication date.
Alisa
Nov 12, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
After learning that her twin sister is dead, Shayna travels to Paris to identify her body. But once she arrives she sees a message written by Angela,saying that Angela is alive and that Shayna should not trust anyone.
I really liked 2 things about this novel. First, that our main characters were of mix race. They were born in the US,while being half Chinese (and half Irish, if I'm not mistaken). So there were interesting discussions on what that feels like,on the sense of belonging, on how rude
Natasha | readwithnatasha
This one is so hard for me to review!

The synopsis (that I'm sure you've already seen, but I'm going to tell you again anyway) hooked me - Sister gets a message that her twin is dead and she needs to ID her body. She flies to Paris and goes to her sister's apartment only to find a cryptic message on her whiteboard "Alive. Trust No One." Like woah. I'm there for that. What happened to the sister? Where is she? What shady thing is she involved in?

I'd like to start with the good stuff - 1. The
Donna Hines
Sep 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, netgalley
"Trust No ONE"
No truly you have to watch out for yourself but for twins it becomes a bit more complicated because they share a special 'bond' a bond that is driven by 'blood'.
Twin sisters Shayna and her estranged twin Angela are about to embark on a journey that's quite odd to say the least. Catacombs in Paris were long used by Nazi's in WWII but now these underground tunnels and darkened areas of history might hold new meaning.
It's a case that involves more than just a mystery as Angela goes
Ashley
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was sent to me in ebook form by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. As always with NetGalley, the cover and description are what really drew me to this book!

I admit this book was a struggle for me to get through. It wasn't a quick read, and it didn't have enough action to keep me turning the pages. However, the synopsis and the characters are what kept me reading. I wanted to know what happened to Angela and more about their childhood, secret language, and what really happened
Jessica (BlogEared Books)
4 stars #themissingsister #netgalley #ellemarr

Great debut novel- non stop action that will keep you engaged and guessing until the end. I loved that the main characters are bi-racial twins- the author herself mentioned in the acknowledgements the importance of inclusion, and I can't agree more.

A brief synopsis- read the description for more info :)

Shayna is notified that her twin sister, Angela was murdered and she must fly to Paris to identify the body. Shayna notices a secret message that
Barb
Oct 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Missing Sister by Elle Marr is set in Paris where two estranged sisters, Angela and Shayna, become involved in a mysterious disappearance. This mystery leads to an investigation with the Paris authorities through the darkest parts of the city of Paris, the catacombs, brothels and the underworld. An interesting study of the emotional connection and dysfunction of these sisters and the underlining story. It is hard to deny the bond and love they share for each other. I received this book from ...more
Jill Burgin
Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Extremely well written, with more depth than most psychological thrillers/mysteries, the story focuses on two twin sisters who have been out of touch for years. When Angela seems to be missing, Shayna flies to Europe to track her down, while everyone else seems to assume she was murdered. Shayna is determined to discover the truth. . The bond and connection between twins and the mystery is at the heart of this book. While the plot has a few holes, the writing elevated the rating.
Lisa Jenkins
Oct 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you NetGalley and Thomas Mercer for the ARC of the missing sister. This is my first book by Elle Marr and the plot really had me interested. The talk of Paris and the underbelly of it had me thinking it might be similar to the Taken movies. I really enjoyed this twisty ride. It kept you guessing and was full of mystery and twists.
Stephanie Jean
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am sorry for the shorter review but Im heading to work and will update a more in depth review at a later date. Let me just say I really found this to be a great read with the perfect amount of suspense.

Thank you Netgalley for the Arc in exchange for my honest review. All opinions are my own and are completely unbiased!
Meredith
Sep 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There isnt a bond that can surpass the bond of sisters. The Missing Sister tests the strength of this relationship when it has been stretched thin for years. While I struggled to get in to this book, a little over halfway through it I found I couldnt put it down. ...more
Yvonne (It's All About Books)

Finished reading: March 15th 2020

"Grief is a bizarre beast that can make us see and do things that don't make sense. Memory adjusts and omits with the slightest nudge, let alone under circumstances like mine."

*** A copy of this book was kindly provided to me by Netgalley and Thomas & Mercer in exchange for an honest review. Thank you! ***

(view spoiler)
Haley F
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Shayna's twin sister, Angela, has supposedly been murdered. Shayna travels to Paris to pack her up her sisters home when she finds a clue left in their secret code that only Shayna will understand: "Alive. Trust no one."

I really enjoyed the descriptive writing style. I've never been to Paris, but I felt as if I could really imagine everywhere Shayna was going. There was great detail but I felt myself getting lost a few times and not understanding how Shayna ended up where she was. Some
Alyssa Smith
Dec 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to Netgalley, the author and the publisher for this ARC.

What a gritty thriller. It had a da Vinci Code type feel to it. The description of the catacombs beneath Paris gave me goosebumps. More than once, I paused reading to google about what the author was writing about. It was an added bonus. I got a good thriller, a few twists and turns, and a history lesson. I had no idea about the 6 million Parisians buried beneath the city. How creepy right? This book was creepy awesome, plain and
Julie (HufflepuffGirl90)
Great thriller that had me hooked from the start. It is a great tale of truth and lies, and of how far a sister's love can go.

Full Review at:
bookshelfadventures.home.blog/2019/09...
Yellagirlgc
Shauna is in Paris looking for her missing twin. The clues were TOO cryptic. It dragged on towards the end and got confusing.

Thanks to Netgalley for my copy to review.
Erika
Sep 23, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to Netgalley and Thomas and Mercer for providing this ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Shayna learns that her identical twin sister, Angela, has been murdered in Paris. She travels to Paris to identify the body and clean out Angelas apartment when she sees a message written in their twin code that says, alive, trust no one. Shayna then begins the search for her sister.

I expected to love this book but it ended up just being ok. I loved the Paris setting and thought it was well
Javier
Feb 15, 2020 rated it it was ok
Reading the blurb I thought this would be a great read. Instead it was a big dissapointment. Try as I might I didn't get into the story at all. I love it when you can't stop turning pages cause you NEED to find out what will happen next. "The missing sister" was exactly the opposite. The story was all over the place, there was no rhythm at all, as soon as it seemed to pick up then it was slowed down again with nothing happening for several chapters... I felt like I had to force myself to keep on ...more

• The Liar's Sister
  • Behind Every Lie
  • The Rival
  • The New Husband
  • Perfect Kill (D.I. Callanach, #6)
  • The Guest List
  • The Look-Alike
  • Close to You
  • Ghoster
  • The Two Lives of Lydia Bird
  • A Killer's Wife (Desert Plains, #1)
  • This Terrible Beauty: A Novel
Originally from Sacramento, debut author Elle Marr explored the urban wilderness of Southern California before spending three wine-and-cheese-filled years in France, where she earned a masters degree from the Sorbonne University in Paris. She now lives and writes outside Portland, Oregon, with her husband, son, and one very demanding feline. Connect with her online at www.ellemarr.com, on ...more