Start by marking “Grandpa Grumps” as Want to Read:
Grandpa Grumps

Grandpa Grumps

Daisy's Yeh-Yeh is visiting from China, and try as she might, Daisy can't get her grumpy grandpa to smile!

Daisy's Yeh-Yeh is visiting for the first time from China, and Daisy is so excited to meet him! She has big plans for all the fun they'll have together, like tea parties and snow angels, but when Yeh-Yeh arrives, Daisy finds him less jolly than she imagined. Throughout
Published April 7th 2020 by little bee books

To ask other readers questions about Grandpa Grumps, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grandpa Grumps

Start your review of Grandpa Grumps
Abby Johnson
This one is super cute. When Daisy's yeh-yeh from China comes to visit, all she wants is to make him smile, but he seems so grumpy! Her mom suggests that he just shows his love a different way than she's used to. When Daisy suggests cooking something together, the two start to bond and eventually Daisy gets that smile and hug that she wanted. This is an adorable book about a new bond between a grandchild and a grandfather who don't get to see each other much and who experience some cultural diff ...more
Katrina
Jul 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
It took some digging to find that this book is OwnVoices, but I did it! I’m generally a sucker for books like this involving grandparents, having not been close to my own, and this was no exception. Similar to “Draw Together” with a grandfather speaking on language and Chris child speaking English, this book also plays on the cultural differences of a child who is growing up in another place. However, I love that this book is grounded in love and Daisy wanting nothing more than to play with her ...more
Carrie Finison
Jul 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Grandpa Grumps is a sweet, appealing, intergenerational and intercultural story about Daisy, whose somewhat stern grandfather comes for a visit from China. She makes it her mission to make him smile but her usual tactics don’t work. “Grandpa shows love in other ways,” her mother says. When Daisy discovers Grandpa’s delicious chao fan recipe, they’re finally able to spend and enjoyable afternoon together. I love the connected place where this book ends up, and the idea that you can keep trying in ...more
Katelyn Aronson
May 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is the recipe for instant warm fuzzies! More than anything, I love an endearing, character-driven story, and this is definitely that.

Little Daisy eagerly awaits the arrival of her grandpa who's coming to visit all the way from China. But when they finally meet, she discovers he's mostly a frown-y grumbler. So Daisy sets out on the most honorable of missions--to make her Yeh-Yeh smile before his stay comes to an end. It isn't easy, but Daisy isn't easily deterred, either.

5 Stars becaus
Pippa Chorley
Mar 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A delightful picture book about a little girl excited for her grandpa to come and stay with her all the way from China. Yeh-Yeh spends a lot of time trying to make her Grandpa smile with tea parties, hugs and drawings only to find that none of this works. She sets out on a discovery to find out what would make him smile, only to discover that it was doing things together that made him happiest of all.

The main focus of the book is the relationship between a granddaughter and her grandpa but there
Heather Stigall
May 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pb, fiction, reviewed
Daisy is looking forward to meeting her Yeh-Yeh for the very first time, so she’s planned all sorts of fun things they will do together. But when he arrives from China, he’s not the jolly, huggable grandfather she imagined. She tries and tries to un-grumpify her grandpa with no luck, and the language barrier between them makes things even more challenging. But, with a little investigating and persistence, Daisy finally discovers a way to communicate, and she and her Yeh-Yeh learn how to show the ...more
Laurie
May 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
What I love about this book is the way it celebrates "quiet-ness". Sure, the Yeh-Yeh doesn't smile, he doesn't hug, he doesn't do much but grumble in the beginning - but he is loved. And, over the course of the book, although he learns how to connect in a meaningful way with his granddaughter, Daisy, he is still his quiet self. Daisy doesn't give up who she is, either. She is still her boisterous self, but learns how to connect with Yeh-Yeah all the same.

This is a beautiful message, and it is t
Heather Gallagher
Jun 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Oh boy, doesn't everyone know a grumpy grandpa? In this heart-warming tale, Daisy is determined to bond with her Yeh-Yeh (grandpa) who is visiting from China. But he really is a grump and Daisy's attempts to engage him in her enthusiastic play fail. I loved Daisy's determined and resolute character. She doesn't let grumpy gramps get her down - no, she just renews her efforts. Particularly after her mother explains that grandpa 'shows love in other ways'. The pair come together over food which is ...more
Tina Cho
Mar 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
In Moore’s heartwarming picture book, Daisy is excited to meet and play with her grandfather from China. She even made a list of things to do. However, nothing makes him smile until she changes her perspective and finds things he likes. Food brings people together. They cook fried rice, and Daisy not only gets him to smile, but he gives her a big hug and a plane ticket. Yan’s illustrations and details are perfect for this Chinese American family. Children who have grandparents from another cultu ...more
Jenna Grodzicki
Apr 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Daisy is excited about her Yeh-Yeh's visit from China, but when he arrives, nothing goes as she expected. Yeh-Yeh grumbles and harrumphs, and he doesn't even smile. Daisy must find a way to show Yeh-Yeh her love in a way he can understand. This is such a sweet story about the important bond between a grandchild and grandparent, and how that bond can grow even if the two don't speak the same language. The expressive illustrations do a wonderful job of showing both Yeh-Yeh's happy side and grumpy ...more
Sara Fajardo
Apr 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A visit from Yeh-Yeh fills his granddaughter with all sorts of plans, but when he turns out to harumph through her activities, she devises a new one— make Yeh-yeh smile. In the process, Moore and illustrator Xindi Yan assure that everyone else does too. A book full of heart and small moments with a quick ascent to one of our family favorites. As we read this book my little one laughed, clutched her heart at all the right moments, and when we finished said, "I love that book! He's grumpy but love ...more
Adam Blackman
May 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Grandpa Grumps is a lovely layered story about learning to communicate across cultures, even within the same family. Young Daisy has to overcome her dashed hopes for a fun-filled visit when her Grandpa, who’s come from China, meets her overtures with grumpy silence and grouchy looks. She persists though, and adapts, and ultimately learns to recognize how he expresses love. The idea that people express love in different ways is a wonderful message. A lot of adults I know struggle to learn it and ...more
Lindsay Leslie
Jul 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A visit from Yeh-Yeh has Daisy all excited. She wants to play tea party, read stories, and sing Karaoke with him, but Yeh-Yeh is more into "hmmphing", grumbling, and being grumpy. How can Daisy make a connection with Yeh-Yeh during his visit from China?

What an endearing story! One that builds empathy and will make a young reader think about how to make connections with others when it seems impossible. We need more of that nowadays. The vibrant illustrations will have kiddos looking all around a
Christy
Apr 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: juvenile
What a fun story! Daisy is undaunted when her excited anticipation about her Chinese grandfather's visit clashes with the reality of a "grumpy grandpa." When she realizes that there are different ways to show love, Daisy discovers new ways for the pair to communicate and enjoy one another's company. A lively and heart-warming story paired with engaging illustrations that effectively convey the character's emotions, this book will be a hit with young readers.
Aolund
Daisy and her Yeh-Yeh, who is visiting for the first time from China, have different ways of showing their emotions. To Daisy, Yeh-Yeh seems grumpy all the time and she is determined to get him to smile. By the end of the book, when Yeh-Yeh returns to China, grandfather and granddaughter have learned to communicate their feelings of fun, love, and desire for connection to one another.

Themes: Family, Visits, Expressing Emotions, Grumpy
Mandy
Aug 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Picture Book. This is a great story of love across generations and cultures. Daisy is excited that her Yeh-Yeh is coming to visit from China. She has big plans for their time together, including tea party, karaoke, and drawing. But nothing she seems to do gets her grandpa to smile, until she finds a recipe on his nightstand written in Chinese. Together they make Chao Fan, and when her clumsy chopstick skills drop a bit on Yeh-Yeh's slipper she is finally rewarded with a smile and a hug.
Ariel
Apr 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love this book! Daisy has high expectations for her Yeh-Yeh's visit from China, but their interactions don't go according to plan. Daisy doesn't give up, and finds common ground with her grandfather while making a dish together (recipe included!). It's a relatable, intergenerational tale with a ton of heart. The illustrations are wonderful, with new details to spot upon every read.
Molly Cluff (Library!)
May 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Dawww, cuuute. A little girl tries to play with her grandpa when he visits from China, but he's a bit gruff, and there's a language barrier. This reminded me of a younger version of "Drawn Together." They finally connect at the end when Grandpa shows her how to make a rice recipe. Precious and warm-fuzzy.
Katie
Aug 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was a very sweet book, so much so that I teared up a bit reading it. It seems the little girl will never get her Grandpa who is visiting from China for the 1st time to smile and she tries lots of great ways. I won't spoil the end for you but I loved it-from the writing to the illustrating style it was great.
Kataneh Vahdani
Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
So Charming! The book is such an easy read and the illustrations are just breathtaking! You can really feel the character's emotion while reading this book and the character arc is very clear. The compositions and colors are great. I highly recommend this book for our young readers.
Keila Dawson
Mar 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A fun, intergenerational story about Daisy, a little girl who can't wait to meet her Yeh-Yeh (grandfather), coming for a visit from China. But she learns he's a grump! What now? Daisy tries everything until she finds a way into her grandfather's heart.
Kirsti Call
Apr 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love this intergenerational story about Daisy who is determined to make her grandfather smile before his visit is over. Expressive illustrations combine with heartwarming text to create a truly lovely book.
Sue
Irresistible art combines with a heartwarming story of overcoming generational and language divides.
This is a playful look at building a relationship with a relative who is not what Daisy expected, a situation any child can relate to. Spunky main character and art that's just plain fun.
Beth Anderson
Apr 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
In this heartwarming story, a little girl searches for a way to connect across generations and culture and find an avenue into her grandfather’s heart. When he refuses invitations into her world, she steps into his. Tender and lively illustrations bring the tender story to life.
Lynn Baldwin
May 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
When her grandfather visits from China, a young girl has a hard time connecting with him..until she figures out that cooking together is the way to his heart! A lovely story of cross-cultural and intergenerational connection.
Sandra Sutter
Jun 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Daisy is in for a surprise when her Grandpa, Yeh-Yeh, visits from China. She hopes to make him smile, but it proves harder than she thought. Fortunately, Yeh-Yeh has a soft spot, and he's funny, too. Daisy discovers there is so much more to Grandpa Grumps than she had ever imagined.
Amanda
DH read this to Mister before bed the other night, and I listened from the other room while I folded laundry. It was so engaging that I had to read it for myself. Very sweet and the illustrations are fun.
Joan Marie
It takes awhile for little Daisy to connect with her Yeh-Yeh who comes from china to visit for the first time. She tries throughout the week to break through his grumpiness in hopes of finding a happy grandpa. finally she succeeds.
Cheryl
Apr 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful story of a young girl and her grandpa! Love Daisy's spirit and perseverance.

• Dozens of Doughnuts
  • Little Green Donkey
  • Let's Dance!
  • Lift
  • Numbers in Motion: Sophie Kowalevski, Queen of Mathematics
  • Can I Give You a Squish?
  • Why Do We Cry?