Start by marking “Violets are not Blue” as Want to Read:
Violets are not Blue

Violets are not Blue

Roses are red.
Violets are blue.
Forget everything good you’ve been told about love, because none of it’s true.

You don’t agree?
Spend a day in my shoes and you’d curse love too.

My name’s Blue.
Yes, you read that right. Blue Daniels.
And I hate love.
I despise every single thing about it.
Published November 1st 2019

To ask other readers questions about Violets are not Blue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Violets are not Blue

Start your review of Violets are not Blue
Ga Books LoverX
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What happens when the guy who can have anyone has finally met his match?
Can he show the girl that doesn't believe in love how true his feelings are?
Well he has 30 days to do it!

I freaking loved Violets are NOT Blue! This is my first time reading Melissa Toppen, but it will not be my last. She is a fantastic author and this book was super funny, so freaking sweet, and holy smokes was it HOT!!! I loved how jaded Blue is on the whole romance thing and how snippy she can be, it makes her seem so fr
Roxs Reads
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Melissa Toppen is a “must-read” author for me and while I absolutely love everything she writes, I was very glad for this ‘lighter’ read. When my tears fell this time, they were tears of happiness and connection with the characters--not sadness—which is exactly what I needed after her last two books. I found there was a little angst, but it only enhanced the story and the tingly feelings when things got better.

Harris and Blue’s story was the perfect remedy to my rather mundane and boring love li
Renee
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was ok

Roses are red. Violets are blue. Forget everything good you've been told about love, because none of it is true. You don't agree? Spend a day in my shoes and you'd curse love too. My name's Blue. Yes, you read that right. Blue Daniels. And I hate love. I despise every single thing about it. I despise every single thing about it. In my thirty-two years on this earth it has brought me nothing but heartb
Danielle S.
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Blue Daniels doesn’t believe in love, well she kinda does just not for her. Not since she had her heart broken years ago. Now she lives her life for fun. Hey...it works for some guys, right?

Harris Avery is the hot office womanizer, at least that’s what Blue believes he is.

One thing leads to another which leads to a bet which leads to....feelings!?!

I enjoyed this story! It was fun and easy and sexy!
Gladys
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. This enemies to lovers romance was very well written. I really liked Harris. He is hot, charming, flirty and quite the playboy until he firmly sets his sights on Blue. Then you see he is a very sweet, funny, determined and totally swoon worthy book boyfriend. I wish I could say that I loved Blue as much, but honestly, I just didn't. I felt for her and completely understood the walls she had around her badly battered and wounded heart. That being said, denial is not just a ri ...more
Michelle
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
This one will be hard to review. While I LOVED Harris, Violet's 'no love' stance got old fast and it was harped on the entire book. Like 97% of it.

What could have been a great love story, was just eh and something I don't like in books. Much like with Hallmark movies, declare love and it's over. I want my love stories to go beyond the 'I love you'. I want the grittiness OF LOVE.

While I adore Harris and his flowers and poems, I never understood how he could still chase Violet.

There were also s
Angel
A non spoiler review....

A sweet and sexy story.
Harris had me swooning like a teenager. He’s the ultimate Book Boyfriend ladies! The way he he try’s to win her over is... ahhh I just love him.
Gahhh I seriously adore this story and these characters. There’s a bit of everything in this book, enough to keep you turning those pages.

Blue and Hannah cracked me up. I adored their friendship. I adored their interactions. Love when a best friend is written in.

It’s a fun lighter read with relatable char
Nicole
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a cute romantic comedy, but I was less than impressed with Blue's outlook on love throughout the book (I wanted to shake her sometimes lol). But as this is Melissa Toppen's fantabulous writing, the dialogue is fresh, funny, flirty and sweet.
Tania's Book Blog
Oct 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Blue and Harris were very entertaining since the roles were reversed; she didn’t believe in relationships and he was determined to wear her down and that’s where there adventure begins. Blue was adamant that she want anything to do with Harris but deep down she had feelings for him. Harris was attracted to her from the first time he met her and his pursuit for her never gave up. It was admirable to see how persistent he was. Very good read.
Trescina Bell
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this couple. Harris was serious about getting his girl. It had me from beginning to the end. I couldn’t put it down. Love love this book. Grab it.
Kimberly
Jun 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
3. 75 ☆☆☆

This is an office rom com about Blue who doesnt believe love exists after being hurt in the past. She thinks that its just a chemical reaction in the brain and it's not real.

Enter Harris Avery who has worked at Blue's office for 6 months and has a reputation for being a ladies man. She despises him. She thinks he is a womanizer, and does not like him at all.

I would have really liked this book more if it wasn't for Blue's character. It seemed like every other sentence she was dissing h
Kimberlie
I enjoyed Blue and Harris's story, but it wasn't anything special. There wasn't quite enough sexual tension for me before they "hooked up", but some might appreciate that. It's a low angst, light romance that was great for my Saturday afternoon.

Harris is a real dreamboat... totally different public image than who he is on the inside. He knows what he wants and never waivers about getting it.

Blue is bordering on the annoying female line though; her reaction to :the spoiler: was weak. I dislike
Lisa
Aug 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio
I absolutely loved this story! It just made me smile multiple times. The story is so sweet! He secretly likes her but was told hands off...now he has a chance and he is not going to waste trying to get her to be his...forever. These characters are simply wonderful. He has a poor reputation and she is off love. There is Some challenges made with each other and each thinking they are a shoo in to win. What I love is all the sweet things he does for her to get her to fall for him.

I really enjoyed
Rady Reads
Sep 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was simply lovely and entertaining like a breeze of fresh air. It was my very first read by Melissa Toppen. I was laughing and I was sad and I very much loved the rhymes.
I loved Harris' persistence and Violet's denial, they actually fit like a pair of gloves. From hate to love, from disappointment to happiness.I truly enjoyed the whole story and also the narration was greatly done.
SyLvIa
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2-read, 3-assorted
[1.5 star] book is not terrible, just that the author keep repeating the same thing about the heroine. dont want love, dont want a relationship, dont want a boyfriend blah blah blah. meh.....
Megan Stein
Dec 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Smitten

Absolutely love! So very well written. Truly enjoyed the highs and lows with each character. Love stories you can relate to. Melissa is such an amazing author.
Shierly
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love it! Harris is so sweet!!!
Doris
Could have been a 5 stars read...

I loved Harris so much - he's sexy, funny, charming, romantic *swoon* ❤️

... and then there's Blue. Unfortunately I didn't love her as much as I loved him. Yes, her heart was broken and she wanted to protect herself with these walls she built around her heart but her anti-love-motto was annoying. She kept him at a distance and denied her feelings.

Otherwise the story was great. 👍🏻
Rebecca Austin
Nov 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: review-companies
Blue Daniels hates love and doesn't believe that it exists after catching her now ex-fiance cheating on her. She is a business analyst for a medical technology firm and is best friends with Hannah who is trying to convince her that she just hasn't met the right guy yet.

Harris Avery is a really good looking guy that works with Blue but she also sees all the women fawning all over him and knows his reputation of getting around the office.

One night Harris and Blue end up making a bet and it's Blue
Kathy Wideman
***3.5 Stars***
This is the first book I have read by Melissa. I was torn with this book. Harris and Blue have a love/hate relationship in the beginning of the book. Blue’s feelings toward Harris change as the book goes on. They get to know each other through a bet. What had me torn is how they are in the beginning. They way they talk to each other. If some part of Blue didn’t like him it would have been considered harassment. They make a bet and if she loses then Harris gets her. While it does h
Jennifer Pierson
"Roses are red.
Violets are blue.
Forget everything good you’ve been told about love, because none of it’s true."

It was these three lines that had me expecting a whole lot of fun in this story, but it just wasn't that. First of all, it took me a minute to get into the story but that wasn't the issue. My big issue was how much Blue had to talk about not believing in love, because honestly?! A couple of times would have sufficed to be honest, and after that, it just got on my last nerve. Now, Blue D
Amy  Crull
Nov 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
The only reason I gave this book such a high rating is because of Harris. I absolutely LOVED him but didn't get the appeal of Blue. He obviously saw something I didn't. He was charming and romantic. Yes he attracted the ladies and may have had some fun along the way but when it came to Blue, he put his heart out there and had it smashed so many times. She held up the walls until the end of the book. I get that she was burned by several bad relationships that made her hate love but she was determ ...more
Stacie Christensen
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Roses are red.
Violets are blue.
Forget everything good you’ve been told about love, because none of it’s true.

You don’t agree?
Spend a day in my shoes and you’d curse love too.

My name’s Blue.
Yes, you read that right. Blue Daniels.
And I hate love.
I despise every single thing about it.
In my thirty-two years on this earth it has brought me nothing but heartbreak and disappointment.
Love is a void. Something we’re taught we need if we want to live a happy and fulfilled life.
Well I disagree.
Some s
Shawn
Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is the story of Blue & Harris. Blue doesn’t believe in love anymore so her life consists of “hook-ups” no relationships. She’s been burnt in the past and her motto is “love is just a chemical reaction in the brain”. She mentions this a lot in the book.
Then we have Harris who’s a work colleague of Blues and she looks at him as a big man-whore/player. She totally ignores him. He on the other hand has been admiring her from a far. Finally; he makes the first move and talks to her but Blu
Jasmina
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-books
Oh, how I Love books b Melissa Toppen.
She nails every book.

Do u believe in Love?
Well, Blue doesn't. She had her disappointments so she decided that love for her doesn't exist. She believes Love is not real. And not for her.
So when her coworker starts to prove her that Love do exist, she accepts the challenge. But who will win in the end?

This story is so cute, funny, even hilarious at some points and heartwarming. I can say if a man will do stuff to me like Harris is doing it for Blue, I am def
Erin
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Violets are not Blue is another out of the park smash for Melissa Toppen.

Blue has experienced her share of heartache and disappointment when it comes to love and therefore she has decided she is not willing to get into a relationship with anyone. So when Harris, the man she believes to be a womanizer and man whore from work shows interest she puts her walls up. Harris however, is drawn to Blue and is determined to show her that he is not what she things.

One night Harris decides to take a chanc
Erin
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
What begins as a simple bet turns into so much more in this enemies to lovers/office romance. Harris and Blue may come from entirely different places in the world but the old saying holds true of "never judge a book by its cover". Harris's determination to show Blue that true love does in fact exist (even from a playboy like him) was charming and endearing. I think I may have fallen in love with him a little.
Violets are not Blue had a good story, great chemistry and some witty banter but I want
Emily Goodman
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
An office love pursuit begins when relationship cynic, Blue, is paired off with the office playboy, Harris in Melissa Toppens new romance, Violets Are Not Blue.

Dead set against romance in the workplace, Blue lives a cynical life. Work, gym, more work, until office playboy Harris makes a point to pursue her during the 9-5. If you are a lover of love/hate stories then you are in for a treat with this one.

Harris is annoyingly sweet as he pursues Blue. From leg brushes to compliments this supposed
Chelsia
“Roses may be red,
But violets are not BLUE.
I don’t think it’s any secret
That I’m falling for you.
Have I won yet?”

Melissa Toppen was the best author I have stumbled upon and she quickly became one of my favourite authors. I did not think that Melissa would be able to top Fin & ables’s story but this one comes right even! Thank

In Violets are not Blue, We meet Blue and Harris who both work in the same medical technology firm:
Blue has been burned by men before on Her life & takes an instant dislike
Kate
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Violets are NOT Blue is an adorable story about a girl who has been burned one too many times by love. Blue is living her life the way she likes; work, gym, family, friends, and a little freaky on the side. She has no desire to ever fall in love and believes that she has a choice in the matter. Harris is the office playboy, or so it seems. Blue can't stand him simply out of principal. Harris is a persistent fellow and no longer wants to fight his attraction to Blue. Blue's snarky comebacks, not ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Treacherous
  • Malicious
  • Love Drunk (Love Me Duet #1)
  • The Virgin Gift (The Gift #2)
  • Hate Sober (Love Me Duet #2)
  • Wait For Me
  • Pierced Hearts (Southern Charmers Book 1)
  • No Vacancy
  • The Best Kind Of Surprise (Best Kind Novella, #2)
  • With Every Breath
  • Dirty Secret (Slayers Hockey, #1)
  • Win Big (Wynn Hockey, #3)
  • Focused
  • Demanding Redemption (Forbidden #5)
  • The Fake (Smart Jocks #4)
  • The Mighty Anchor (Rogue Academy, #3)
  • Hate the Game
  • Warrior Blue
Melissa Toppen is a USA Today Bestselling Author who specializes in New Adult and Contemporary Romance. She is a lover of books and enjoys nothing more than losing herself in a good novel. She has a soft spot for Romance and focuses her writing in that direction; writing what she loves to read.
Melissa resides in Cincinnati Ohio with her husband and two children, where she writes full time.

Connect