Start by marking “Fight Like a Girl” as Want to Read:
Fight Like a Girl

Fight Like a Girl

The Beauty of the Moment meets Exit, Pursued by a Bear. Award-winning thriller writer Sheena Kamal delivers a kick-ass debut YA novel that will have fans crying out for more.

Love and violence. In some families they're bound up together, dysfunctional and poisonous, passed from generation to generation like eye color or a quirk of smile. Trisha's trying to break the chain,
Published March 10th 2020 by Penguin Teen

To ask other readers questions about Fight Like a Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fight Like a Girl

Start your review of Fight Like a Girl
Erin
Mar 06, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, kindle
Thanks to NetGalley and Penguin Random House Canada for an egalley in exchange for an honest review.

A debut YA novel set in Toronto, Sheena Kamal's main protagonist is Trisha, an 18-year-old of Trinidadian descent living in the east end of Toronto with her mother. Trisha is a determined Muay Thai kickboxer who longs for that big win in the ring and acceptance into the business management program at Ryerson. But when her father dies, Trisha is concerned with the behavior of her mother and her
Lea ♞ That_Bookdragon
4/5 ⭐

Thank you so much to Hot Key Books for providing me with a free ARC of this book in exchange for an honest opinion!

/! TW for abuse /!

This book is a wildly gripping and intense read. In it we follow Trish, a young Muay-Thai fighter training to become the best of the best, but also because being at the gym allows her to get away from her family and especially from her violent dad. One day, however, Trish sees her life being turned upside down after an accident causes the death of her father.
Zoë ☆
Feb 09, 2020 rated it liked it
Fight Like a Girl is a very quick read but it definitely leaves an impression after youve finished it. The mystery aspect of the story kept me turning the page throughout the book, which is also why I read it all in one go. 🙊 The writing style in this book is very raw and a bit aggressive even, and while it definitely fits the topics discussed in the story, it made me feel a bit uncomfortable while reading. And because it was such a short story and there were a lot of time jumps which felt a bit ...more
Max Lau  • Maxxesbooktopia
Dec 02, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 1-star-books
I thought this novel inaugurated with a plethora of serrated footings and even the first page itself provoked me to a certain degree. The fifth paragraph which is written on the first page by the author already allow me to determine whether or not I cherish the writing style of the novel and, lo and behold, I did not like the writing style of this novel at all.

It is written in a very informal way with an overabundance of brackets and dash to either express the main characters emotions or random
Amybibliophile
Mar 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Hot Key Books & Bonnier Books for an advanced reader copy of Fight Like A Girl. This honest review is my own and by no means influenced by the publisher in any way.

This was not one of my usual books that I would have sat on my shelves at home but I am SO glad I have read it! At only 200+ pages it is a short one but it packs an almighty punch! (See what I did there?)

Trisha hasn't had a great upbringing, being Trinidadian living in Canada the only two things that matter in her
SecretsOfaBookworm
Bonnier Books UK for sending me an ARC of Fight Like a Girl by Sheena Kamal in exchange for an honest review! Make sure to keep a look out for the publishing date, 10th March 2020.

What did I think?
Firstly, I really enjoyed the aspects of Muay Thai especially as I myself have experience in Martial Arts. Fight Like a Girl doesnt make every kick, punch and push-up seem unnaturally easy like most stories but it highlights the perseverance and real hard work that is
Emily (emilykatereads)
This book packs a punch that I wasn't expecting.

It's a short, fast-paced read, but it holds weight in the topics is tackles. Trisha goes to the gym to practice Muay Thai and fighting to escape her home, a violent home. After her dad dies, there is uncertainty about her family, and questions to be asked. But she sees her home fall back into the same pattern when her Mom's new boyfriend shows up.

Trisha is angry, and that anger is felt in this book's writing. It really conveyed the emotions she
Lois (thecarrotstories)
Fight Like A Girl was a very intense read that centers around love and violence.

Being someone who has an interest in Muay Thai and MMA, I was intrigued by this book (I dont practice that sport though). Firstly, the cover had a girl in the ring with wrapped hands. Secondly, the sport was featured in the story. What made it even better was the featuring of female fighters! I just personally think its darn cool!

Besides that, there was an element of mystery that kept me absorbed in the read. There
Sheena Kamal
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
This is probably the most outrageous thing I've ever written. I'm absurdly proud of it. It was a blast being inside the mind of someone so frenetic as Trisha, and it was also almost too much fun to write about Muay Thai, a sport I've been training on and off for over a decade.
The Bookish Faerie
Fight like a Girl is not what you think it is about. It does not teach a girl how to fight but rather face adversity like a girl - strong and fierce. It teaches readers that even though you are a girl in a world with vultures and eagles waiting to prey on you the moment you falter, you have people you can rely on when evil befalls.

The story was unexpectedly action-packed. I first thought it would be about Trish and her journey on her boxing career. It was that, and more. Trishs parents are from
legenbooksdary
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
A moving story about a young girl navigating through life after a tragedy struck her world upside down. Yet, she remained strong with her battles and is persistent to uncover the truth among all circumstances.

This is a short book but its packed in with a lot of things that I couldn't have possibly asked for a better story. It talks about one's culture, identity and family struggles. But it also involves a myth that I'm still as confused as ever regarding what actually happened in all that
Jasper Oostveen
While reading this book, I was thinking of rating it 4 stars... right up until the last 35 pages.

Fight Like a Girl is well-written and well-paced, at the exact pace that I would expect from a YA novel. The quick developments and character exposition reminded me of a lot of teen and YA books I had to read in high school English class, which is not necessarily a bad thing since they are staples of this demographic genre. Moreover, it has some elements of magical realism, combining Trinidadian
Sakina (aforestofbooks)
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: books-i-own, 2020
(Major trigger warnings for physical and emotional abuse)

I actually don't know what to say.

This book was weird and creepy and a little confusing.

I wasn't a huge fan of the writing style. It was fine to read, but just not my favourite. There's a lot of broken up sentences, which I guess is used to show how Trish is feeling and processing her thoughts and emotions, and I think that fit with how this story is told, but it did feel a bit jarring to read.

The setting itself was nice in a way. It
Katie
Mar 08, 2020 rated it liked it
Firstly, I want to say thank you to Hot Key Books for sending me an ARC of Fight Like A Girl, I really appreciate the opportunity.

It is safe to say that when I went into this book I didn't expect to get out of it what I actually did. Don't get me wrong, I thought I would enjoy the book or I wouldn't have asked for a copy however I didn't realise I would enjoy it to the extent that I did.

A lot of physical and pent up anger is explored in this book. Trisha is definitely one angry teenager who has
Elizabeth
Feb 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-reads
thank you to Hot Key Books for sending me a copy to review
Fight Like A Girl is out on 10th March 2020

Fight Like A Girl
Sheena Kamal

TW and there is abuse mentioned in the book

Trisha is a Muay-Thai fighter, its her life, she wants to win.

When in a horrible accident in which she kills her her abusive father in a car accident things start to change in her life, her mother is lighter and more free, but also has become more secretive and more attentive to what Trisha is doing.

Struggling to deal with
Liz Barnsley
Feb 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Review to follow.
Trisha
Have much to ponder. Imaginative and a strong narrative voice.

Intense.
Bee
Feb 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Fight Like a Girl is Sheena Kamals debut novel released on the 10th March, and it is one whopper of an entrance. I was kindly gifted it by Hot Key Books and from the moment I saw it I found the blurb intriguing, especially since it tells us that Trisha kills her father straight up. This book is an emotional tapestry of love and violence, based around Trisha, a badass Muay Thai kickboxer of Trinidadian descent. From the blurb I had no idea how hardcore this book was going to be, but I loved it.

Nandika
Mar 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
(4.5/5)

A huge thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with an eARC of Fight Like a Girl in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own and not influenced by anyone.

I was drawn to Fight Like a Girl by its cover. I wanted to know what the colour, the emotion and the girls face represented and the reasoning behind it. The description of the book just made me want to read it even more.

Its never been easy for Trisha, a Trinidadian Muay Thai kickbox fighter. Her
Aishah Humaira'
Feb 16, 2020 rated it liked it
I had thought that I have no expectations on this book when I started itnot because I think it would be bad, I just had no idea what to expect from it. But after finishing Fight Like a Girl, I guess I probably expected something out of it, because way after the end, somehow I felt that it was not quite... what I should be expecting?

Confusing, huh? That's probably the best explanation for my feelings that I can muster after reading Fight Like a Girl.

Plot-wise, I considered it like a slice-of-life
My Yorkshire Litmosphere
Jan 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Well: that was not what I expected at all...

This is a very intense book. Theres a lot of violence...I mean yeah shes a Mauy Thai boxer in her spare time but there is a lot of aggression and violence on top of that 😂

It was actually really interesting for two reasons. 1. There are a lot of interesting concepts to this book such as trying to understand why someone puts up with domestic violence and why people big up loosing their virginity. And 2. I know next to nothing about Trinidadian culture
Deborah
Mar 09, 2020 rated it liked it
2.5 Stars

I would like to thank Hot Key Books for an ARC of this book. Here is an honest review:

I felt like this book was trying to be too many things. I think this is one of the reasons I never really connected with several aspects of the story, the author didn't have the time to develop these different accepts of the main characters life. It was like as the reader I got this glimpse of different parts of her life but I wasn't invested in them and I feel like some of the issues weren't resolved
Renee
Mar 31, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: teens, arcs
This book was received as an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

This is a difficult one for me, because I may not have the cultural background to understand what's going on, but I can definitely say that it was a weird read. It was alright, short and to the point, but... There was a lot going on. Too much, in my opinion, for one book to handle. Something feels shallow about it, despite content matter, like it wants to be more than it is but just can't make it happen. The writing style is a bit
Moon
Mar 10, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5 I was provided with a proof copy for free fromt he publisher but all opinions my own.
This is the gritty pack a punch and hit you hard kind of book that you need to be prepared to read because otherwise it is hard to get through. As such, it has violence, domestic abuse, gaslighting, murder, other types of abuse (parent to offspring) that should be trigger warnings.
Trisha is doing her best despite having an odd family and not really liking her dad, until an accident puts him out of the
Jill Jemmett
Mar 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs
Trisha is a fighter. She practices Muay Thai kickboxing. She is of Trinidadian descent, and she lives with her mother in Toronto. Her dad comes to visit from Trinidad, and is killed when she accidentally hits him with her car. However, she suspects that there is more to his death. She throws herself into her fighting to distract her from her suspicions about her fathers death and her mothers new boyfriend.

This was such an original story. There were unexpected twists. There was also lots of
Geneviève (thefreckledbookworm)
*I received an ARC of this book through Netgalley*

I was really looking forward to reading this book - I couldn't pass up the idea of reading about a strong, young woman of color, who is a badass Muay Thai fighter.

There were definitely some interesting concepts in this book, like when Trisha questions what leads her mom to tolerating domestic abuse, when she's such a strong, independent woman when her dad isn't around. Or when she has her first sexual intercourse and it isn't amazing at all,
Haley Renee The Caffeinated Reader
Mar 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: earcs

3.5 /5

After the terrible accident that leaves Trishs father dead, she starts to wonder if theres more to it than just an accident and follows a trail that could irrecoverably change how she sees her mother and the women in her life. This also means that she tries more and more to escape to the gym.

I dont want to spoil this story, its fast-paced and theres a lot of facets to Trish and the problems in her life. Overall I would say I really enjoyed this, I
Megan
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arcs
I received this ARC from Netgalley.

Fight Like A Girl by Sheena Kamal is a story that I was excited to read. The idea of strong girls fighting back is one that we need more of, and Sheena mostly delivers.

The best thing this book has going for it is that its a quick read, but honestly, I felt let down by the time I finished it. The closure for the characters, especially Trisha, just wasnt there for me. The book, marketed as a thriller, also feels a bit too shallow to really thrill.

My biggest
Brandy McGlaughlin
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was ok
I found this book very difficult to like. I really wanted too... I loved the cultural history of it and Trisha was such a badass character... but nobody was really likeable. Not Trisha, not her trio of smothering females and nobody at the gym that she fought with. I felt like the book tried to be about the strong female warriors out there and instead I found myself lost in a book about a drowning child who nobody rescues.
Paola
Feb 04, 2020 rated it liked it
After reading other peoples reviews, I just wanted to say that I actually really liked the informal narration. I think it really gave Trisha an authentic voice, and lemme just say that Trisha is FIERCE, okay? She is BADASS.

Overall, this was an INTENSE read. There are things I liked and things I didnt, but I definitely think its a book worth checking out!

• Thorn
  • Havenfall (Havenfall, #1)
  • A Throne of Swans (A Throne of Swans, #1)
  • And The Stars Were Burning Brightly (And The Stars Were Burning Brightly, #1)
  • The Last Paper Crane
  • Of Curses and Kisses (St. Rosetta's Academy, #1)
  • The Giver of Stars
  • Only Mostly Devastated
  • Blood Heir (Blood Heir Trilogy, #1)
  • Are You Watching?
  • Break the Fall
  • Gods of Jade and Shadow
  • Bringing Down the Duke (A League of Extraordinary Women, #1)
  • Raybearer
  • All Your Twisted Secrets
  • Foul Is Fair (Foul Is Fair #1)
  • Book Love
  • The Stars We Steal
Sheena Kamal was born in the Caribbean and immigrated to Canada as a child. She holds an HBA in Political Science from the University of Toronto, and was awarded a TD Canada Trust scholarship for community leadership and activism around the issue of homelessness.

Sheena is a winner of the Kobo Emerging Writer Award. Her first novel, The Lost Ones/Eyes Like Mine won a Strand Magazine Critics Award