Start by marking “The Heart's Stronghold: 4 Historical Stories” as Want to Read:
The Heart's Stronghold: 4 Historical Stories

The Heart's Stronghold: 4 Historical Stories

Love on the Edge of the Unknown

Join four brave women making their mark on history at Colonial forts. Faced with tragedy and distrust they will fight to bring civility, family, and love to the frontier.

Virginia Company Bride by Gabrielle Meyer
James Fort at Jamestown, Virginia, 1608
In September 1608, Anne Burras is the only woman in Jamestown when her mistress die
Published March 1st 2020 by Barbour Books

To ask other readers questions about The Heart's Stronghold, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Heart's Stronghold

Start your review of The Heart's Stronghold: 4 Historical Stories
Deanne Patterson
Mar 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Deanne by: cnnamongirl@aol.com
4 novella length stories with each taking place on a different fort from the early days of Us history.
I found it especially fascinating because I also live in an unincorporated area, Fort Loudon, PA which is rich in history . The fort here was built in 1756 during the French and Indian War and reading these novellas I could vividly picture what life was like at the fort during this time.
Inspirational stores that will give you hope, they tell of life's struggles,turmoils,forgiveness,truth,triumph
Debbie
Feb 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Historical fiction readers Christian Fiction
The Heart’s Stronghold is a wonderful book containing 4 delightful novellas of historical fiction. Although the novellas are stand alone reads, each story pairs beautifully and progresses smoothly from the year 1608 to 1778 and revolve around a different fort, a particular time in American history and a sweet love interest. Although the stories and some of the characters are fictitious, the forts themselves and periods of time are historically accurate.

In the Virginia Company Bride by Gabrielle
Susan Snodgrass
Jan 10, 2020 rated it liked it
Four novellas comprise this collection featuring authors Gabrielle Meyer, Angie Dicken, Amanda Barratt and Kimberley Woodhouse.

Spanning the years 1608-1778 and set in the earliest years of our nation's history, these stories will satisfy any lover of the American Frontier. I was thoroughly interested in the history here and the hardships the earliest colonists suffered in the dawn of our nation.

*I received a complimentary copy of this book from Barbour Publishing via Net Galley. I was under no
Paula Shreckhise
Four novellas that peek into history in Colonial America.

VIRGINIA COMPANY BRIDE by Gabrielle Meyer. James Fort At Jamestown, Virginia. 1608
The author shows how difficult and dangerous life was at the beginning of the colonization of our country. Anne Burras is the only non-native woman in Jamestown. Hardships and dangers are made real as Anne decides whether to return to England or choose a husband.

EMBERS OF HOPE by Kimberley Woodhouse. Castle Island, Massachusetts. 1673
A small island guards Bo
Kailey
Mar 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a very enjoyable collection of stories. They seemed reminiscent of a Laura Frantz novel since they were set in Colonial forts. I loved the strong female characters. This makes me want to read more from each of these authors!

I received a complimentary copy from the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are mine alone.
Maureen Timerman
Feb 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
This read consisted on four novellas with a time period spanning from 1608 to 1778, and focuses on the founders of our Great Country.
We are given a sweet romance in each of these locations, but we also get to walk in the shoes of these people who gave so much, and didn’t have easy lives.
From the Virginia Colony, where we ended up with the gift of the first child born in this Country, to the building of what would become Fort Independence in Massachusetts, to enlarging of Fort Oswego, a place nea
Karen R
Dec 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A slice of early American history provides a unique setting for these four inspirational stories. From 1608 Jamestown or Fort James, to 1778 Boonesborough, Kentucky, the history was quite interesting, including real people, places and events.
"In a land where life was short and precious, he’d found that love grew quickly."
Battling superstition and treachery within, and dangerous conflicts outside the walls, the early forts made good backdrops for quickly developing romances. Soldiers, frontiersm
Amanda Geaney
Mar 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Authors like Lori Benton and Laura Frantz have endeared me to this period of historical fiction. If you've enjoyed their work, I encourage you to pick up a copy of The Heart's Stronghold. Below, I've rated the individual stories with what I saw to be their greatest strengths. In my opinion, the depth and heart of the books built into a lovely crescendo (hence the reason I've listed them in reverse order).

A Promise for Tomorrow by Amanda Barratt
Fort Boonesborough, Kentucky, 1778
My Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐
Sylvia
Mar 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Virginia Company Bride by Gabrielle Meyer

I loved this novella! I had no idea Anne and John were real people until reading Meyer’s historical note, but that piece of history makes this novella all the more enchanting. Meyer did a fantastic job of blending fact with story, including real historical figures, faith, and the harsh realities of life in 1608 Jamestown. 5/5 stars

Embers of Hope by Kimberley Woodhouse
This one seemed a bit rushed in terms of story. There was plenty of detail and interestin
Tracey
Mar 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love a good historical and Virginia Company Bride by Gabrielle Meyer in The Heart's Stronghold collection was a perfect fit! Being a Virginian myself and having walked the Jamestown settlement a number of times, I couldn't wait to see how Gabrielle would portray the earliest settlers of 1608. I loved every word of it!

The characters were interesting and well drawn, some charming and some aggravating. The love story between Ann Burras and John Layton was totally believable and I could imagine t
Rebecca
Mar 12, 2020 rated it liked it

Such lovely collection of colonial fort stories; each exhibiting courage and bravery in its varying forms, for life was hard and love was a precious gift. . . . . not to be hastily grabbed, but tenderly grasped.

"Women aren't the trouble . . . It's the men who cannot control themselves where women are concerned that bothers me most." - Gabrielle Meyer, Virginia Company Bride

"It was really happening. For the foreseeable future, she'd have to live on an island - the only woman among men."
Sandra
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
I love reading stories of brave, strong women in history or any time period for that matter. The authors are some of my favorites, so I knew I would like these novellas. Gabrielle Meyer, Angie Dicken, Amanda Barratt and Kimberly Woodhouse all give us a view of what the American Frontier was like. Spanning the time from 1608-1778, There were many hardships and life could be very short. You will be taken on a exciting journey back in time with each of these short stories. I received a copy of this ...more
Becca-Rae Weidel
Virginia Company Bride by Gabrielle Meyer
I adored this one! I liked that it was based on real historical people and that the author looked for the story within what was written in the history books. It was an intriguing premise and I think she did a great job with it. It was highly engaging and easy to read in just one sitting.

Embers of Hope by Kimberley Woodhouse
I am a pretty huge fan of the Daughters of the Mayflower series, so I was pretty excited to see Kimberley Woodhouse choose to create a
Hannah Leake
The title and cover of this book initially caught my attention, but the stories on the inside is what completely sold me. Normally I am not a huge fan of short novellas, as they usually seem to rush the stories and leave much lacking, but these were exceptional! I fell in love with each and every character of each story. They were so unique, just like the authors which penned them.

The stories of courage and strength and faith in God almighty were excellent. I look forward to reading more by eac
Faith
Mar 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
These are four novellas taking place in the early years of colonial settlement in the New World. Hardships abound and death comes quickly and easily from illness, climate and danger too. These are heart warming, stories with the main character in a variety of situations. What is most important in these stories is “the curse” of women being anywhere near a fort. Each and every time something bad occurs, these women are blamed as the cause even if they were not anywhere near these accidents.

Compan
Lisa J
Apr 08, 2020 rated it liked it
This book was a compilation of 4 novelettes by 4 authors all writing historical fiction based at the time of when America was still young. They took place when settlers and native Americans were still attempting to figure out whether each other posed a threat, and the settlers were still mostly men taming the land (setting up forts for protection within their walls). I enjoyed all four stories, and the style writing from each of the authors.

I do enjoy a novelette on occasion for a "quick read".
Kerri
Mar 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a great book with four very different stories all set in early America. Each story gave a glimpse of the hardships that the early settlers had to deal with.
Virginia Company Bride gave a taste of what life would be like for the only female in a settlement. I liked Anne's tenacity as she had to live among so many men. The way that the settlers had to overcome diseases and attacks from those that didn't want them in the area showed great strength.
Embers of Hope showed how superstitions r
Carolyn Bryant
Feb 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Journey back to the rugged American frontier with these entertaining stories to meet four young, memorable, courageous heroines who face illness, harsh weather, superstition, and other hardships and conflicts; and in the midst of all this, find love. Set in four real-life forts during the 1600s and 1700s, these romantic novellas are chocked full of historical detail making them educational as well as enjoyable. The characters are well-developed and engaging. Real-life characters and events are e ...more
Rosie
Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Heart's Stronghold contains four very well written stories that take place between 1608 and 1778. The stories do not depend on each other. Each is a well researched piece of American history in a different that gives insight into the struggles our forefathers (and mothers) faced. Each story was my favorite as I read it. I loved some of the characters, did not trust others and really wanted to get rid of a few.
One of my favorite quotes comes from "A Promise for Tomorrow." "'Twould not be an
Jane
Feb 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Heart's Stronghold 4 Stories of Love on the Edge of the Frontier
by Kimberley Woodhouse, Gabrielle Meyer, Angie Dicken, Amanda Barratt. The stories are Christian Historical Fiction set in early United States History. If you have read the series Mayflower Brides this book is similar in that it has many historical details of early America, Christian perspectives, romance and lots of thrilling action.
I appreciated the admonition to share the Gospel and remember those who will perish without Christ
Trisha
Jul 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
If you enjoy reading stories set during the American Colonial period, then you are going to love this collection of dynamic stories. Each one is filled with the grit and determination that the early settlers had in carving out a place, a new home, in this wild untamed, dangerous world.

Heartwarming stories of love amid hardship, and faith in God. Of communities coming together and working together for the greater good of everyone. Each story can be read in one setting, or you can take your time a
Caroline
May 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this collection of 4 stories featuring women struggling with various issues in colonial forts during the 16 and 1700's. It's a fascinating period of American history when life was hard as men and women sacrificed to forge a new life in a rough new land. Each story's writer did an excellent job of bringing their heroine to the page! I only wish there had been more of them. I enthusiastically recommend Hearts Stronghold to any reader who especially enjoys American history with ...more
Marvy Herrera
Jul 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC from Barbour Publishing via NetGalley, this review is my personal opinion.

I must say to all the authors of this collection, well done!. They had an interesting task, and I enjoy this story set on this fort. With many historical details and descriptions that make you feel you were watching the story instead of reading it. And what makes this better was how the faith of the main characters is present and developed, in each chapter. An interesting collection, set in an interesting
Kylie Hunt
Oct 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I originally requested this book because I saw it had a story by Amanda Barratt in it and I adore her writing, as well as the cover caught my eye.

I must say though that I throughly enjoyed all four of the stories and will be watching for future stories by Angie Dicken, Gabrielle Meyer, and Kimberley Woodhouse as well now.

These historical novellas were all beautifully told tales and I appreciated that the ladies in them were well-written and each story had a wonderful message in it.

Definitely rec
Continent78yahoo.Com
Feb 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A worthwhile read. Four stories, set in early American times will give you a glimpse into parts of our country’s history that may be very unfamiliar to many of us. The stories also give you a glimpse into the lives of women, greatly out numbered by the men, yet brave and ready to live on the frontiers of a new land and face danger and threatening attacks.
Each author does a great job giving as many historical details as possible. Every story held my attention wondering what would happen next!
Jennifer K
Apr 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
I have been reading this novella collection as the world faces the pandemic and the timing couldn’t have been any better. These historical stories of life at American forts portrayed the unpredictability and danger of daily life the settlers endured. The struggles experienced by these early settlers were not unlike those our world faces today. Each novella had strong characters that faced fears, enemies, illness and more. I enjoyed watching these characters learn personal lessons of faith. The d ...more
Emily Yager
The Heart's Stronghold is four sweet novellas that are set during the early days of America - spanning a hundred years (1608 to 1778) across the wilds of the frontier forts. The characters and stories are captivating and the world of these early forts is brought to life. I enjoyed each of the stories and honestly can't choose a favorite amongst them. Great glimpse into history and a bit of heartwarming romance. ...more
Jenn
Mar 28, 2020 rated it liked it
I'm not sure if it's best to review this as a whole or as individual stories but I'm going to do it as a whole. This was a new period of time in history for me to read about. Each story wad told about a different place in America pre or just prior to the revolutionary war. Women during this time had to be seriously tough. Several of these stories were about a woman who wad the only female in a fort full of men. I could not have survived this time period. I enjoyed each story in its own way. To b ...more
Hulah
Jun 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Hearts Stronghold has 4 very different stories by 4 very talented authors. Each story was from either the 1600-1700’s and was inspired by true events. Gabrielle Meyer, Kimberley Woodhouse, Angie Dicken and Amanda Barrett really brought these stories to life in the pages of this book. If you are a historical fiction fan; you will definitely want to add this one to your TBR! You won’t be sorry.
Lindsey
Jan 07, 2020 rated it liked it
This collection of four-novellas was a little hit and miss for me. I loved some of the titles, but not all. However, overall they were a great compilation of historical events and locales with danger, romance, and conflict. No objectionable content or language so you should feel comfortable giving to your tween or your grandma to read - lots of faith-based content.

• The Blizzard Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower, #11)
  • The House at the End of the Moor
  • The Thief of Blackfriars Lane
  • The Red Ribbon (True Colors)
  • The Chisholm Trail Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower, #12)
  • Tidewater Bride
  • The Blue Cloak (True Colors)
  • The Soldier's Lady: 4 Stories of Frontier Adventures
  • The Rebel Bride (Daughter of the Mayflower, #10)
  • The Lost Lieutenant (Serendipity & Secrets, #1)
  • The Mail-Order Bride Standoff: 4 Grooms Are Stymied When Brides Get Cold Feet
  • A Life Once Dreamed
  • The Black Midnight (True Colors)
  • The Love Note
  • Hope Between the Pages (Doors to the Past)
  • The Kissing Tree: Four Novellas Rooted in Timeless Love
  • A Bride of Convenience (The Bride Ships, #3)
  • The Haunting at Bonaventure Circus

ECPA best-selling author Amanda Barratt fell in love with writing in grade school when she wrote her first story—a spin-off of Jane Eyre. Now, Amanda writes romantic, historical fiction, penning stories of beauty and brokenness set against the backdrop of bygone eras not so very different from our own. She's the