Start by marking “The Heart's Stronghold: 4 Historical Stories” as Want to Read:
The Heart's Stronghold: 4 Historical Stories

The Heart's Stronghold: 4 Historical Stories

Love on the Edge of the Unknown

Join four brave women making their mark on history at Colonial forts. Faced with tragedy and distrust they will fight to bring civility, family, and love to the frontier.

Virginia Company Bride by Gabrielle Meyer
James Fort at Jamestown, Virginia, 1608
In September 1608, Anne Burras is the only woman in Jamestown when her mistress dies
Published March 1st 2020 by Barbour Books

To ask other readers questions about The Heart's Stronghold, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Heart's Stronghold

Start your review of The Heart's Stronghold: 4 Historical Stories
Deanne Patterson
Mar 12, 2020 added it
Recommended to Deanne by: cnnamongirl@aol.com
4 novella length stories with each taking place on a different fort from the early days of Us history.
I found it especially fascinating because I also live in an unincorporated area, Fort Loudon, PA which is rich in history . The fort here was built in 1756 during the French and Indian War and reading these novellas I could vividly picture what life was like at the fort during this time.
Inspirational stores that will give you hope, they tell of life's struggles,turmoils,forgiveness,truth,triumph
Debbie
Feb 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Historical fiction readers Christian Fiction
The Hearts Stronghold is a wonderful book containing 4 delightful novellas of historical fiction. Although the novellas are stand alone reads, each story pairs beautifully and progresses smoothly from the year 1608 to 1778 and revolve around a different fort, a particular time in American history and a sweet love interest. Although the stories and some of the characters are fictitious, the forts themselves and periods of time are historically accurate.

In the Virginia Company Bride by Gabrielle
Susan Snodgrass
Jan 10, 2020 rated it liked it
Four novellas comprise this collection featuring authors Gabrielle Meyer, Angie Dicken, Amanda Barratt and Kimberley Woodhouse.

Spanning the years 1608-1778 and set in the earliest years of our nation's history, these stories will satisfy any lover of the American Frontier. I was thoroughly interested in the history here and the hardships the earliest colonists suffered in the dawn of our nation.

*I received a complimentary copy of this book from Barbour Publishing via Net Galley. I was under no
Paula Shreckhise
Four novellas that peek into history in Colonial America.

VIRGINIA COMPANY BRIDE by Gabrielle Meyer. James Fort At Jamestown, Virginia. 1608
The author shows how difficult and dangerous life was at the beginning of the colonization of our country. Anne Burras is the only non-native woman in Jamestown. Hardships and dangers are made real as Anne decides whether to return to England or choose a husband.

EMBERS OF HOPE by Kimberley Woodhouse. Castle Island, Massachusetts. 1673
A small island guards
Maureen Timerman
Feb 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
This read consisted on four novellas with a time period spanning from 1608 to 1778, and focuses on the founders of our Great Country.
We are given a sweet romance in each of these locations, but we also get to walk in the shoes of these people who gave so much, and didnt have easy lives.
From the Virginia Colony, where we ended up with the gift of the first child born in this Country, to the building of what would become Fort Independence in Massachusetts, to enlarging of Fort Oswego, a place near
Karen R
Dec 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A slice of early American history provides a unique setting for these four inspirational stories. From 1608 Jamestown or Fort James, to 1778 Boonesborough, Kentucky, the history was quite interesting, including real people, places and events.
"In a land where life was short and precious, hed found that love grew quickly."
Battling superstition and treachery within, and dangerous conflicts outside the walls, the early forts made good backdrops for quickly developing romances. Soldiers,
Tracey
Mar 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love a good historical and Virginia Company Bride by Gabrielle Meyer in The Heart's Stronghold collection was a perfect fit! Being a Virginian myself and having walked the Jamestown settlement a number of times, I couldn't wait to see how Gabrielle would portray the earliest settlers of 1608. I loved every word of it!

The characters were interesting and well drawn, some charming and some aggravating. The love story between Ann Burras and John Layton was totally believable and I could imagine
Rebecca
Mar 12, 2020 rated it liked it

Such lovely collection of colonial fort stories; each exhibiting courage and bravery in its varying forms, for life was hard and love was a precious gift. . . . . not to be hastily grabbed, but tenderly grasped.

"Women aren't the trouble . . . It's the men who cannot control themselves where women are concerned that bothers me most." - Gabrielle Meyer, Virginia Company Bride

"It was really happening. For the foreseeable future, she'd have to live on an island - the only woman among men."
Sandra
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
I love reading stories of brave, strong women in history or any time period for that matter. The authors are some of my favorites, so I knew I would like these novellas. Gabrielle Meyer, Angie Dicken, Amanda Barratt and Kimberly Woodhouse all give us a view of what the American Frontier was like. Spanning the time from 1608-1778, There were many hardships and life could be very short. You will be taken on a exciting journey back in time with each of these short stories. I received a copy of this ...more
Amanda Geaney
Mar 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Authors like Lori Benton and Laura Frantz have endeared me to this period of historical fiction. If you've enjoyed their work, I encourage you to pick up a copy of The Heart's Stronghold. Below, I've rated the individual stories with what I saw to be their greatest strengths. In my opinion, the depth and heart of the books built into a lovely crescendo (hence the reason I've listed them in reverse order).

A Promise for Tomorrow by Amanda Barratt
Fort Boonesborough, Kentucky, 1778
My Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Faith
Mar 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
These are four novellas taking place in the early years of colonial settlement in the New World. Hardships abound and death comes quickly and easily from illness, climate and danger too. These are heart warming, stories with the main character in a variety of situations. What is most important in these stories is the curse of women being anywhere near a fort. Each and every time something bad occurs, these women are blamed as the cause even if they were not anywhere near these accidents.

Company
Becca-Rae Weidel
Virginia Company Bride by Gabrielle Meyer
I adored this one! I liked that it was based on real historical people and that the author looked for the story within what was written in the history books. It was an intriguing premise and I think she did a great job with it. It was highly engaging and easy to read in just one sitting.

Embers of Hope by Kimberley Woodhouse
I am a pretty huge fan of the Daughters of the Mayflower series, so I was pretty excited to see Kimberley Woodhouse choose to create a
Kerri
Mar 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a great book with four very different stories all set in early America. Each story gave a glimpse of the hardships that the early settlers had to deal with.
Virginia Company Bride gave a taste of what life would be like for the only female in a settlement. I liked Anne's tenacity as she had to live among so many men. The way that the settlers had to overcome diseases and attacks from those that didn't want them in the area showed great strength.
Embers of Hope showed how superstitions
Carolyn Bryant
Feb 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Journey back to the rugged American frontier with these entertaining stories to meet four young, memorable, courageous heroines who face illness, harsh weather, superstition, and other hardships and conflicts; and in the midst of all this, find love. Set in four real-life forts during the 1600s and 1700s, these romantic novellas are chocked full of historical detail making them educational as well as enjoyable. The characters are well-developed and engaging. Real-life characters and events are ...more
Rosie
Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Heart's Stronghold contains four very well written stories that take place between 1608 and 1778. The stories do not depend on each other. Each is a well researched piece of American history in a different that gives insight into the struggles our forefathers (and mothers) faced. Each story was my favorite as I read it. I loved some of the characters, did not trust others and really wanted to get rid of a few.
One of my favorite quotes comes from "A Promise for Tomorrow." "'Twould not be an
Jane
Feb 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Heart's Stronghold 4 Stories of Love on the Edge of the Frontier
by Kimberley Woodhouse, Gabrielle Meyer, Angie Dicken, Amanda Barratt. The stories are Christian Historical Fiction set in early United States History. If you have read the series Mayflower Brides this book is similar in that it has many historical details of early America, Christian perspectives, romance and lots of thrilling action.
I appreciated the admonition to share the Gospel and remember those who will perish without Christ
Continent78yahoo.Com
Feb 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A worthwhile read. Four stories, set in early American times will give you a glimpse into parts of our countrys history that may be very unfamiliar to many of us. The stories also give you a glimpse into the lives of women, greatly out numbered by the men, yet brave and ready to live on the frontiers of a new land and face danger and threatening attacks.
Each author does a great job giving as many historical details as possible. Every story held my attention wondering what would happen next!
Emily Yager
The Heart's Stronghold is four sweet novellas that are set during the early days of America - spanning a hundred years (1608 to 1778) across the wilds of the frontier forts. The characters and stories are captivating and the world of these early forts is brought to life. I enjoyed each of the stories and honestly can't choose a favorite amongst them. Great glimpse into history and a bit of heartwarming romance.
Christie
Mar 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book consists of four novellas that each focus on a different fort from the early days of the US. Each story is historical fiction, so I found myself googling different people/places/events as I read. It was interesting to learn more about that time in our countrys history.

I received this book through Net Galley. I was not required to give a positive review.
Lindsey
Jan 07, 2020 rated it liked it
This collection of four-novellas was a little hit and miss for me. I loved some of the titles, but not all. However, overall they were a great compilation of historical events and locales with danger, romance, and conflict. No objectionable content or language so you should feel comfortable giving to your tween or your grandma to read - lots of faith-based content.
Emily
Mar 26, 2020 is currently reading it
very great encouraging stories, I loved the writing how this to me didn't feel too far apart as far as the author's styles changed from story to story one of my favorite collection of short stories I've read in a while. The only things id change more shows of Ann's life outside of feeling alone at the beginning of "Virginia Company Bride" it did feel a little repetitive.
Paula
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A Heart's Stronghold is a combination of stories that take place in the 1780s or prior. Each story is a beautifully written story by various authors. Each one has a good enough premise to be a full novel. I enjoyed each story very much and wanted it to continue on. Great stories, great writing!
Leann Arave
Feb 27, 2020 rated it liked it
Hearts Stronghold
This is a book comprised of 4 short stories. They all are set between the early 1600s and the late 1700s. During the early settlements of the colonies. They told of the hardships of limited supplies, rough winters, dealings with the French, English, Spanish and the Native Americans. Women were frowned upon, or ogled,if they were anywhere near the forts and soldiers. I have not read any of these authors before. They were ok, but nothing outstanding. By the last two stories I
Subhajit Das
Beverly Knudsen
Abigail Harris
Heather Byrd
Dec 15, 2019

• The Blue Cloak (True Colors)
  • The House at the End of the Moor
  • The Chisholm Trail Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower, #12)
  • The Blizzard Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower, #11)
  • The Mail-Order Bride Standoff: 4 Grooms Are Stymied When Brides Get Cold Feet
  • Unveiling the Past
  • The Fifth Avenue Story Society
  • The Land Beneath Us (Sunrise at Normandy, #3)
  • On Wings of Devotion (The Codebreakers, #2)
  • The Gray Chamber
  • More Than We Remember
  • Out of the Embers (Mesquite Springs, #1)
  • The Rebel Bride (Daughter of the Mayflower, #10)
  • An Uncommon Woman
  • Collision of Lies
  • The Crow's Call (Amish Greenhouse Mystery #1)
  • One Little Lie (The Pelican Harbor #1)
  • Veiled in Smoke (The Windy City Saga, #1)

ECPA best-selling author Amanda Barratt fell in love with writing in grade school when she wrote her first storya spinoff of Jane Eyre. Now, Amanda writes romantic, historical novels and novellas, penning stories of beauty and brokenness set against the backdrop of bygone eras not so very different from our own.