Start by marking “Diaballein” as Want to Read:
Diaballein

Diaballein

Suspense and fear in an isolated location. Two people, one Other.

A man possessed must choose between proving his research or maintaining his sanity.

Kano Varre seeks a rare mineral in Outback Australia to prove his controversial research — what he finds is a nightmare.

His mind is possessed by the Diaballein, whose only purpose is to open a gateway to this world for his br

Published 2019 by Cage Dunn

To ask other readers questions about Diaballein, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Diaballein

Start your review of Diaballein
D. Peach
Sep 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is an unusual read. The writing style is distinct with short sentences and fragments that almost give it a staccato quality. The narrative is highly “present” with minimal backstory or internal reflection. I felt as though I experienced the story the very instant it happened, each sight, action, and thought recorded with precise detail. My only challenge was that I noticed the fascinating writing more than the tale.

That said, this is an engaging story. It alternates between two characters,
Michael Forman
Sep 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, dark-fiction
Thoroughly enjoyed this short read. The story is tidy and well paced.

It’s also a wonderful snapshot of the spacious, harsh Aussie Outback meeting supernatural themes and fight-for-life sequences. I’m wondering if ‘Nan’ is an indigenous Aussie? Her wisdom became a character all of its own.

Great writing Cage. Four stars. -M
Crastinator
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
An interesting take on a 'journey' to the middle.
Intense and interesting characters, intense setting, a foretelling of something more to come?
I enjoyed the story, and look forward to more in the same genre - will he return?
Audrey Driscoll
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Readers who appreciate speculative fiction.
I appreciated the intersection of intensely rendered physical reality with myth-based symbols and the power of envisioned intention. The first half is about physical struggles with pain, thirst, and terror in a hazardous natural setting. There's mud and water, a bush fire, no help nearby, phone batteries that need charging. One character fears mental breakdown and loss of her grip on reality; the other struggles with an invading alien consciousness. When the two come together, the story enters a ...more
Petrina Binney
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really liked this story. It was tense and dramatic throughout.
Kano is a metallurgist, who becomes possessed in the Australian bush and has to fight against bloodlust and horror, in order to stop himself from providing a conduit for ancient deadly creatures to enter our world.
Eyza is a researcher, standing on the edge of a mental breakdown. She undergoes hallucinations and paranoia, but when the creatures appear, she must trust her instincts and help Kano close the rift.
Really well-written, wit
Cage Dunn
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: fiction
Note: this is an author review, so you may think I'm biased.
The story isn't a blood and guts horror story, more about suspense and fear in places where there's no one to help you, no one to run to.
Alone, even if not lost.
On the edge of nowhere, physically and spiritually.

It's a novella, short and sharp, and I enjoyed writing this one.
It came about because I threw a little tantrum when I got some bad news. And in that tantrum, I wrote this story. In three days. I did a bit of fixing and sent it
Cassandra

• Gale: A Sci-fi Novella
  • Nightmareland
  • Magical Whispers
  • We All Die In the End: Scenes From a Small Town
  • A Boy Named Rabbit (Wake-Robin Ridge #2)
  • A Home for Her Daughter
  • Malice and Forethought: Short Stories of Malice and Murder
  • They Call Me Mom: Making a Difference as an Elementary School Teacher
Cage writes Aussie (outback and urban and rural), thrillers, speculative fiction, scary stuff - tall stories all (and a small foray into allegory).
A Storyteller, a dreamer, an imaginer. Some would say Fibber, Fabricator, Teller of Tall Tales. Yep – storyteller.
Born in the mid-northwest wheat-belt of Western Australia; lived all over Australia, worked at everything from sewage collection to comput