Start by marking “Finish Your Dissertation Once and for All!: How to Overcome Psychological Barriers, Get Results, and Move on with Your Life” as Want to Read:

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  55 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Combining psychological support with a project management approach that breaks tasks into small, manageable chunks, experienced dissertation coach Alison Miller shows you how to overcome negativity and succeed in completing your dissertation beyond your own expectations.
Published January 1st 2009 by American Psychological Association (APA) (first published December 15th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Finish Your Dissertation Once and for All!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Finish Your Dissertation Once and for All!

Theryn Fleming
One-sentence synopsis: "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, I'm going to finish this dissertation!" Yes, all I kept thinking about whilst skimming this were Stuart Smalley's daily affirmations. From the title I was hoping for something directed at people who are already in the midst of working on their dissertations—more concrete ideas about speeding up the process. Essentially I'm already doing everything suggested in this book. So while it was an affirmation (ha) that I'm on the ...more
Tom Uytterhoeven
Dec 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Does this book give you practical advice on writing a dissertation? To some extent it does. There are some exercises, some lists, some hints and tips on how to do things. I would advise reading chapters 2-5 (overcoming negative feelings and procrastination, structuring your work, planning your work), but chapters 1 (general intro) and 6-8 (on working with your supervisor, handling feedback, taking care of yourself) are in my opinion rather common sense. That makes about half the book being a bit ...more
Melissa Norrbom
Jul 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book really helped me identify the negative behaviors, thoughts and feelings I was having towards starting to write. Even though I'm a psychologist, I was ironically having difficulty with the psychology of writing my dissertation! I was using all kinds of excuses but this book helped uncover the deeper fears and move past them. I'm only a couple weeks into my timeline and action plan but for once I'm moving forward with clear small manageable tasks that have me seeing the light at the end ...more
Emily
Dec 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Turns out I AM just like every one else. A useful book.
Kimberly Read
Mar 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: dissertation
Let's call this one a 3.5 because I'm vacillating between a 3 and 4. There are some great words of advice and useful tips. However, I found the book highly repetitive, which forced me to skim a great deal. Perhaps this is a deliberate device to hammer home the points? Also, I'm not fond of exercises or worksheets, but that's just me. I will certainly use this book for motivation again as I continue my dissertation.
Lyndon
Feb 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thesis
Part therapy, part 'thesis advisor', Miller's book is the right medicine for those "struggling with struggling" when it comes to a dissertation, and those who need someone to say 'here's a plan, now get on with it.' The right book for me.
Vincent Russo
Jan 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Pretty good, I initially thought this book was going to be filled with vagaries and non-concrete elements of advice, but was pleasantly surprised. This book (like most of the others I've found) are geared toward students that are not in a STEM field, although much of the soft-advice still applies.
Leah
Jan 03, 2011 marked it as to-read
I'm praying to all known deities, friggin paramecium and aliens (just in case; ya never know) that this works!!!
Kelly Dombroski
Jul 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
See my comments in this review: https://throwntogetherness.wordpress....
Georgina
Jan 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Really useful, but not the most useful one... It was the book that ultimately made me dive in on my dissertation. I don't know where would I be without it.
Karen
Jul 01, 2011
MindOverMatter
Mar 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2017
I am not new to the things mentioned in this book. I did meditation, I heard about the unhelpful thinking patterns, she describes. I heard about other people doing the kinds of plans she mentions. I even try to work with them myself. It certainly takes time to build up the habit and I may not be that far yet. However, I thoroughly enjoyed the way Allison Miller describes all these things that I am familiar with - however, not familiar enough to not have learned a great deal from the book. Now I ...more
Jenny