Start by marking “The Oldest Enemy” as Want to Read:
The Oldest Enemy

The Oldest Enemy

David Lighthouse was once a hard-hitting investigative reporter for the Denver Post - before he was accused of the brutal murder of his fiancée and his life unraveled. Now, six years later, he’s once again the prime suspect in the murder of someone close to him. Beth Barkley’s body has been drained of all its blood, and there are two strange marks on her neck. David fights ...more
Paperback, 1
Published by MJWebb Books (first published September 25th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Oldest Enemy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Oldest Enemy

Start your review of The Oldest Enemy
Peter  Younghusband
May 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
In The Oldest Enemy, author Michael Webb, takes the main character, David Lighthouse, on a journey that will connect the murder of his fiancé six years earlier to the current murder of one of his parishioners, together with the secret past of his estranged father that all leads to reveal the deceptive motivation of a German billionaire who seeks to unleash a worldwide holocaust.

All efforts by David, his father, Michael, Lauren , the sister of his murdered parishioner, Beth Barkley, and stranger
Julia
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Oldest Enemy by Michael J Webb is a complex Christian novel about the spiritual battle between good and evil. It is a battle that has been raging since the dawn of time. The Oldest Enemy is grounded in historical facts that Michael J Webb has blended with his imagination to produce a tale that consumes.
The novel shows there is a very real spiritual battle as a character made an oath with the Prince of Darkness. Evil cannot be defeated in our human strength. We must call on the name of Jesus.
Angie ~aka Reading Machine~
I honestly don't know where to begin. The Oldest Enemy is a book with surpassing power to keep your attention from first to the last page. I was blown away by the mix of the biblical text and current relations of Israel with other countries. The Nazi element through me for a loop but it was seamlessly explained throughout the whole book. I do believe I've found another male author that can hold my interest for more than a few pages. I highly recommend this book to conspiracy junkies.
Merril Anil
Forgive me oh Lord ! For I know, what I am about to do. I am going to rant on this book over and over again. I really tried but the way it kept dragging in between, the book made it difficult for me to stay put and patient with the book. With the dipping pace and overload of past and information, I felt there was too much that was going on in the book. So The oldest enemy might make an enemy in me for the author, who would definitely not like my review of the book.

The oldest enemy undoubtedly
Dennis Moss
I just finished reading The Oldest Enemy and I was captivated and chilled at the same time. Micheal did an excellent job of taking the reader with him on this journey through the war and back to the present. It made me want to look up some of the events that actually happened during the war and also look up the verses in the Bible. Thank you, Michael, it was interesting and thought-provoking. I look forward to your other works!!

Miamikel SS
Jan 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If I was to read just a few book this year, The Oldest Enemy would be at the tip-top of my list! Once started, this book is impossible to put down. This is my first novel by this author, Michael J. Webb, and I am impressed beyond measure. I received a copy of this e-book to review and could not be more thrilled with this happenstance. Mr. Webb's writing style is simply over the top, destined to be a name in lights in the literary world!

>>>David Lighthouse was once a hard-hitting
Jennifer Clausen-greene
My Review:

I am so glad a book like this is out on the shelves. Spiritual Warfare is alive and very active even today. It is not something that just took part in the days Jesus walked the earth, but it happens here, now in 2013 and beyond.There is tremendous advantage gained by the believer who recognizes and can exploits the weaknesses of the enemy. We are engaged in war, the stakes are enormous and our enemy is Satan. Our enemy is God’s enemy, and that enemy is Satan, a created being. In order
TWJ Magazine
Nov 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The Oldest Enemy" by Michael J. Webb is NOT for the faint of heart, or for the chicken-hearted! Exorcism, spiritual warfare, Israel and the supernatural are all tackled in this very ambitious and well-written novel.

Investigative reporter turned pastor, David Lighthouse attends the funeral for a member of his congregation, certain that he should have done more, been more, and sheltered her more than he did. Memories of his past are stirred, and they are not of the pleasant nature. Will he ever
Lana
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a complex book. It took me almost half the book to understand it but I just couldn't put it down. Kept me interested even though I was confused a few times.
Stox4story
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I could say this book is spellbinding, diabolical and full of drama .... and I wouldn't be wrong. It certainly is all that. BUT, it's so much more. It's a storyline that reveals truths. It shows battle lines and explores the battle fields where a real war is being fought. This is a battle for you, for your mind, your soul, and yes, your body.

It’s warfare…. warfare of the unseen kind. This is not a battle between flesh and blood, however it’s ‘flesh and blood’ that is skin deep in a war that
Ibjoy1953 Hannabass
My Thoughts On This Book

The Oldest Enemy is a perfect title for this book because it is just that, about the oldest and absolute worst enemy we all face every day, and that enemy is satan and his demons. And in his new book, author Michael Webb pens a story that will grip your heart and mind in unique way and not let go until long after you finish reading.

I usually don’t read books that deal with supernatural events, but this one was really awesome, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The cast of
Debbie
Jan 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

The Oldest Enemy by Michael Webb gets 5 stars from me. The fact that I give a supernatural thriller 5 stars is surprising, I don’t usually like this type of book or even consider reading this genre but since becoming a reviewer I am reading and even liking different genres. This story kept me turning the pages because I couldn’t wait to see what was going to happen next. This novel is about demon possession and how Josef Rauch/Eric Reinhardt tries to destroy Israel because of his hatred of the
Cathy
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received a free copy of this book from the author. I had the opportunity to review or not.

This book reads like a historical mystery from a religious view. It has many religious references, but it is beyond religion. There is love, mystery, drama, horror and inspiration. Don’t be put off by the religious angle. You will miss a great story if you are so inclined.

David Lighthouse’s fiancé was murdered years ago. He was considered a suspect in her murder, but he was cleared of the crime, but
Shirley Scurlock
"The Oldest Enemy" is filled with suspense, mystery and supernatural adventures. Some of the imagery is startling, and for thrill lovers this would be a must read.

The Oldest Enemy, the devil-is revealed in a horror flick way and in a truly vivid fictional story. I would certainly recommend it for those who like the Chiller Theater book or movie, but not for those who are prone to nightmares.

Mr. Webb writes very well, using words with descriptive imagery and true to life story line. This book
Barbara Derksen
Sep 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Author Michael J. Webb spins a hair-raising tale about corruption on a grand scale with threads of demonic activity in The Oldest Enemy. David Lighthouse, associate pastor of a church in Florida, joins forces with Lauren Barkley, the sister of a recent brutally murdered young woman, and Ben Landers, a former Auschwitz survivor, to find and make impotent Eric Reinhardt, a billionaire bent on the destruction of Israel.

The cast of characters all have a story of their own with lots of secrets that
S
Aug 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Will admit this book was not what I expected from the blurb. The story had a lot more of a biblical context than I realized, while not a bad thing it just wasn’t what I was expecting.

The author does a great job of weaving the old with the new. For me the pain and suffering of what entire race went through is something that still affects me when I read anything about it. My brain still can’t fathom how other countries didn’t step up sooner.

Putting that aside David’s character draws you into his
Larry B Gray
Oct 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“The Oldest Enemy” by Michael J Webb is an exciting thriller which will keep you on the edge of your seat throughout the entire book. I could hardly wait to see where the next twist or turn in the story led. This is a great book full of international intrigue, a few spies, detectives and several heroes. To make it even better it is a Christian novel.

The author did an excellent job with the storyline. His style of writing made the book easy to follow and even more believable. He tied all the
Jim Baton
Aug 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dealing with demons is not for the fainthearted! The best books and movies that delve into the supernatural realm are based at least in part on spirit-world realities, not just imagination. I've encountered many demonic manifestations in my years living in Indonesia. They are real, they are scary, but their power pales in comparison to God's almighty power. Michael J. Webb illustrates this beautifully in a story that tracks a specific demonic assignment from the Holocaust into the present day. ...more
Stefano
Oct 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I discovered this book by chance, having read other Christian books from Risen Books I decided to give a try.
Well the plot is intriguing, if you like history in this books you will find it masterfully interwoven with fiction.
It's is pretty long for a novel but not a single page is out of place and I read it in every free moment to know the end. The prose of the author flows easily and i really hope to read more of him.
Just a note: be aware that you will find plenty of quotes from the Bible, so
Emma Right
May 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book Review of the Oldest Enemy by Michael Webb

If you love suspense, mystery, and paranormal, with a twist of biblical truths thrown in, you're going to love this book. It has many political undertones, and ties together everything (i don't want to add spoilers here,) by the end of the book. Kept me guessing, kept me on my toes, even as i lay on my bed into the night. i have to say some parts are quite scary. Also if you enjoyed This Present Darkness books, this is even better.
I highly
Capryce Marbury
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The battle between good and evil ensues! Who will prevail? I was on the edge of my seat throughout the entire book. The characters were fully developed and you could like, love, dislike or hate them. The story was thoughtful, the conversations were impactful and scenery beautiful. This book contains Biblical and contemporary history, Bible verses, intrigue, drama, thrills and chills. I enjoyed it very much.

Lana
Sep 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Pat Eroh
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a really awesome story that captured me immediately and kept me reading! Further, as a Christian, I was pleased to finally find someone who could write from a biblical viewpoint on the spiritual warfare that currently is being waged around us. Finally, an exciting, intense story that all can enjoy.

Kay Mcleer
Aug 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always enjoyed reading a mystery with a little supernatural elements in there. I'm glad I was able to eat this as I really enjoyed it.
Annarella
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An engrossing and entertaining book. I appreciated the plot and the character development.
Highly recommended!
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine.
Yvonne Anderson
Nov 16, 2012
Marjorie Parker
Jul 28, 2018
Tim Blake
Aug 13, 2019
Norma
Mar 08, 2013

• The Tourist (Milo Weaver #1)
  • The Look-Alike
  • The Long Call (Two Rivers, #1)
  • Small Spaces (Small Spaces, #1)
  • Curing a Cowboy (Real Good Men of Oklahoma #4)
  • Ocean's Drift (Hope Rising Book 3)
  • Hell Spawn
  • Fade
  • The Shiloh Series: Books 1-3
  • Stillwell: A Haunting on Long Island
  • Sanctified (The Saga of the Nano Templar Book 2)
  • Not Until Us (Hope Springs #4)
  • The Jumpgate
  • The Silent Surrogate
  • The Dragon's Rebel
  • My Apple Farmer (Man Card #8)
  • Death Cult (Saint Tommy, NYPD Book 2)
  • The Vigilante Chronicles Omnibus: Vigilante, Sentinel, Warden, Paladin, Justiciar, Defender, Protector
Michael Jack Webb graduated summa cum laude from the University of Florida and obtained his J.D. from the same university. Over the past forty years he has travelled the world in search of adventure.

Michael is a history buff, both ancient and modern, and is fascinated by the intersection of the scientific, supernatural, and Biblical world views. He's studied and taught from the Bible for more than