Start by marking “The Very Hungry Caterpillar” as Want to Read:
The Very Hungry Caterpillar

The Very Hungry Caterpillar

4.28  ·  Rating details ·  429,870 ratings  ·  8,536 reviews
THE all-time classic story, from generation to generation, sold somewhere in the world every 30 seconds! Have you shared it with a child or grandchild in your life?

One sunny Sunday, the caterpillar was hatched out of a tiny egg. He was very hungry. On Monday, he ate through one apple; on Tuesday, he ate through three plums--and still he was hungry. When full at last, he m
Board book, 26 pages
Published 1994 by Puffin Books (first published June 3rd 1969)

To ask other readers questions about The Very Hungry Caterpillar, please sign up.
Rebecca You can't read books on this site just rate and review them. …moreYou can't read books on this site just rate and review them. (less)
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeePride and Prejudice by Jane AustenTwilight by Stephenie Meyer
Best Books Ever
55,590 books — 212,984 voters
Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleThe Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
Best Children's Books
4,760 books — 6,148 voters

More lists with this book...

·  429,870 ratings  ·  8,536 reviews

Start your review of The Very Hungry Caterpillar
Chris
Dec 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
I actually gave this book 5 stars, but the very hungry caterpillar ate one of them.

Also, did anyone else get a defective book? My version has a bunch of holes in it.
Mark Lawrence
Apr 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
RIP Eric Carle who died today aged 92.

Former president George W. Bush named this his favorite book from childhood (it came out when he was 23 ... but perhaps he meant his kids' childhood). In any event it's one of my favorites from my childhood, and from reading to my own kids. Was it the first to put holes through its pages? Probably not, but it worked very well. Kids like sticking their fingers in things - genius!

Anyhow - this is one HUNGRY caterpillar! He puts a hole through everything be it
Zoë
Feb 06, 2021 added it
[Book #11 for my grad school Children's Lit class] ...more
Mischenko
Feb 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Eric Carle's books have a special place in my heart. The way he creates his illustrations makes them so colorful and appealing to all.

The Very Hungry Caterpillar is one of our favorite books by him, but we enjoy them all equally. Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?, The Grouchy Ladybug, The Very Busy Spider, The Very Quiet Cricket, and Dream Snow are just a few of our most cherished Eric Carle books.

When you witness a toddler who can't read, recite all the words to these stories, you know
Rebecca
Aug 04, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Bionic Jean
Fun fact for today? A famous picture book, described as “one of the greatest childhood classics of all time” was actually inspired by … a simple hole punch!

Yes, incredibly, it’s true. The author remembers:

“One day I was punching holes with a hole puncher into a stack of paper, and I thought of a bookworm and so I created a story called ‘A Week with Willi the Worm.’”

But his editor suggested that readers may not like a green worm very much, and suggested a caterpillar instead. The idea appealed to
Sam Quixote
Oct 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
There are some books I’m just not smart enough to read but, darnit, I challenged myself and I finally made it through The Very Hungry Caterpillar (after several false starts)! I’m not gonna flatter myself that I unnerstood the depth of the ideas, themes and junk in it, but I liked the colours and pitchers and stuff…

Oooooh man - lookit this lil guy! He eats an apple, two pears, three plums - he’s a beast! Does he stop there? Nuh to the uh! Four strawberries and then FIVE - count it, FIVE - orang
James
Sep 05, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1-fiction
Book Review
3+ of 5 stars to The Very Hungry Caterpillar, a children's picture book published in 1969 and written by Eric Carle. I am sure someone read this book to me as a very small child, but I know for certain that I had it on my shelf and looked through it around 10-years old. It's a delight for all ages with the cute illustrations, the physical design of the book and the quirky personality of the caterpillar.

It's a useful tool to teach young children how a caterpillar grows up,
Manual
Jun 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone looking for a good read
Recommended to Manual by: Bill Bryson
Shelves: fiction
A deeply touching saga of the hardship of a young catapillar's life.
The main character has to overcome his ravenous appetite on his jouney to become a butterfly.
There were were in my eyes and laughter too as I jouneyed with the catapillar in the greatest epic ever told.
We had much to learn from the noble catapillar.
Trina (Between Chapters)
The first time my baby ever laughed was while we were looking at the butterfly on the last page and I was talking to him about butterflies. Instant fave.
Tim
May 09, 2021 rated it really liked it
There are a lot of children's books that feel as if they are really written for the parents. The sort that kids tolerate but adults "ooh and aah" over feeling they're doing their parental duty by reading these fascinating works of children's literature and enriching their lives, where the child really just wants to know how much Dragons Love Tacos. Almost all of Eric Carle's work feels that way to me. I remember hating him as a kid, yet adults love to read him. Hell, go into any large book store ...more
Manny
Feb 18, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: children
I know everyone's supposed to love this book, but I just don't see what's so great about it. The character of the caterpillar is never properly developed, and he comes across as a one-dimensional parody of a larval form. The plot is dull and predictable, as is the language. I'm not thrilled by the artwork.

If it weren't for the fact that George W. Bush praised Caterpillar so highly, I'd unhesitatingly call it vacuous, uninspired rubbish. I must be missing something, but what?
Kate
Feb 23, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
I believe this book is THE MAJOR CAUSE of the childhood obesity epidemic currently sweeping the nation. Still, nice illustrations.
Sean Gibson
Apr 24, 2020 rated it liked it
Eh. I've seen hungrier caterpillars. ...more
Hilary
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Babies and small children
A favourite of both my children. My daughter had a board book version of this that she absolutely loved from about 6 months on. She loved the holes in each page and every single time we read it she had to pretend her little finger was the caterpillar and make eating noises at every hole, and when the butterfly emerges we had to make the book flap into the air. It's not a realistic representation of a butterfly and obviously the butterfly isn't eating usual butterfly food but this was a well love ...more
Destinee Sutton
Dec 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
SPOILER! He turns into a butterfly.
Claude's Bookzone
May 27, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Well this book brings tears to my eyes. I read this to my children nearly every day when they were little. They would point to the food and put their little fingers in the holes. I would have my hand on the other side of the page and tickle the pads of their finger. They would giggle and giggle. Thank you for this wonderful story, Eric, and rest in peace.
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Very Hungry Caterpillar, Eric Carle
The Very Hungry Caterpillar is a children's picture book designed, illustrated, and written by Eric Carle, first published in 1969. One Sunday morning, a caterpillar hatches from an egg. He is known as the Very Hungry Caterpillar, who loves eating, and so he begins to look for some food. He eats through increasing quantities of fruit on the following 5 days. First it's one apple on Monday, then two pears on Tuesday, three plums on Wednesday, four strawberri
Ken
Mar 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the joys of becoming a parent is being able to revisit your own childhood favourites, this classic tale of the metamorphosis of a caterpillar to a butterfly is one of the earliest books I can remember as a kid and was the perfect place to start.

So simple and clever as it not only teaches children to count but also explains a part of the animal kingdom around them.
Cyndi
Mar 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Mr. H, my grandson, loves this book so much he turned it into a play. Great show! The critics (that would be me and his aunt) raved about it! 👏🏻
Alex
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: baby-books
RAPACIOUS CONSUMERISM WORKS!

EAT CAKE
BE BEAUTIFUL
Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen)

small fry’s thoughts were, “If he ate all that food, he probably has to poop.”

————

...what am I missing???

Kid Lit Experiment 2018 #3
Alex ☣ Deranged KittyCat ☣
On my quest for procrastination from reading that book, I stumbled upon The Very Hungry Caterpillar on YouTube. In this video, Eric Carle himself is reading the story.

This is not my first time with the caterpillar. I used to read it a lot when I worked with children. I like that it's short, that it helps them learn numbers and the days of the week. Now that I think of it, I did not have this for my son when he was small and learning to count. Shame on me.
Manybooks
As a three year old (in Germany, in 1969, and thus in the very same year the book was in fact published), I absolutely adored Eric Carle's The Very Hungry Caterpillar (or I should rather say that I loved the German version of the book, that I found Die kleine Raupe Nimmersatt absolutely wonderful, and that I have in fact only read the English version but this one time, being today, and as a Kindle download). And if I therefore am mostly rating The Very Hungry Caterpillar with my memories of chil ...more
♥ℂĦℝΪՖƬΪℕÅ
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
4 Very Hungry ★'s

“One Sunday morning the warm sun came up and - pop! - out of the egg came a tiny and very hungry caterpillar.”

This is the all-time classic picture book you'll love passing down from generation to generation. I love being able to share all my childhood favorites with my little niece :) This book gives me so much nostalgia. I read this countless times when I was younger. The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle is such a wonderful book and it helps teach children the days o
Pirate
Oct 24, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kid-books
kids: 3
times I've read this book: zillions
times I've loved reading this book: every single one
Sophie Crane
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals
Very nicely made. Small enough to carry about only down side the ‘fruit holes’ to small to put your fingers through but your baby will love it.
✨    jami   ✨
Oct 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
if u haven't read this book wyd !!!! absolutely iconic, 11/10 would recommend my first fave book

it follows a very hungry caterpillar as he navigates this cruel, cruel world in search for a decent feed. Everyday he must rise and eat in a terrible, repetitive cycle that teaches us early of the mundanity of the working week.

But do not worry, for at the end (spOILER ALERT !) he becomes a beautiful butterfly, and all the time he's spent existing and living within this capitalistic society which dema
Jimmy
Feb 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Very differcult read. recommended for advance readers only.
Ayse_
Aug 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviews
simple counting/bug life book, wish the drawings were more appealing

• The Cat in the Hat (The Cat in the Hat, #1)
  • Green Eggs and Ham
  • How the Grinch Stole Christmas!
  • Oh, the Places You'll Go!
  • Where the Wild Things Are
  • Goodnight Moon
  • The Lorax
  • If You Give a Mouse a Cookie (If You Give...)
  • The Giving Tree
  • Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?
  • One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish
  • James and the Giant Peach
  • The Runaway Bunny
  • Corduroy
See top shelves…
Eric Carle was a children's book author and illustrator, most famous for his book The Very Hungry Caterpillar, which has been translated into over 30 languages. Since The Very Hungry Caterpillar was published in 1969, Eric Carle illustrated more than seventy books, many best sellers, most of which he also wrote, and more than 71 million copies of his books have sold around the world.

News & Interviews

When it comes to whiling away the dog days of summer, nothing is better than a good book. Or two. Or three. Let’s say ten! We’re getting...
“On Saturday, he ate through one piece of chocolate cake, one ice-cream cone, one pickle, one slice of Swiss cheese, one slice of salami, one lollipop, one piece of cherry pie, one sausage, one cupcake, and one slice of watermelon

That night he had a stomach ache.”
89 likes
“He built a small house, called a cocoon, around himself. He stayed inside for more than two weeks. Then he nibbled a hole in the cocoon, pushed his way out and...

he was a beautiful butterfly!”
63 likes