Start by marking “The Call of Death” as Want to Read:
The Call of Death

The Call of Death

Fourteen-year-old Hannah Priestly crashes into a terrifying future. She wakes up in her dorm room now knowing the name of an infamous serial killer, Norman Biggs. He will attack her in the future unless she and her three male friends can change fate.

Hannah is an obsessive-compulsive California girl dropped off at an English boarding school by her celebrity mother. Hannah h
Published November 5th 2019 by Parliament House

To ask other readers questions about The Call of Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Call of Death

Start your review of The Call of Death
Candace Robinson
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the second book I’ve read by Garcia and it was wonderfully written with mystery and romance and both were done amazing well! It also has a character driven plot and you’ll definitely fall in love with these characters! Even after finishing it, I just keep thinking about the story!
Dianne
What a fabulous fantasy/mystery! R.J. Garcia’s THE CALL OF DEATH tells fourteen-year-old Hannah’s story as she struggles to unravel dark visions, as her future nightmares become a reality and the boy she has a crush on becomes the pivotal point in solving a crime that has not been committed yet.

The ultimate California teen, Hannah finds herself currently enrolled in an English boarding school where those she meets can be best friend material or outright evil as she unravels time itself to stop a
Donna
Visions, dreams of future events, four good friends, romance, suspense and twist/turns of a thriller. What a ride!!!

Garcia’s writing is incredible!! You are grabbed right from the first page and taken for a thrill of a rollercoaster ride!! The characters are endearing, frustrating and some are plain evil. Hannah and Rory start off as best friends and crushing on each other. As the story progresses they grow up and begin to realize their feelings are becoming more than a crush. I loved watching
Amber R. Duell
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Garcia's writing is beautiful! It dragged me in on page one and kept me reading until the end. The plot is expertly written and the characters jump off the page. If you're looking for a book full of suspense with romance, this is it!
Christina
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars, ya-a
I was fortunate to be able to read an early copy of this! As with R.J. Garcia’s previous story Nocturnal Meetings of the Misplaced, this was a well plotted story with unique young characters who take it upon themselves to change their futures. The weaving of plot lines was fantastic!

Hannah’s home is in California but she attends school in England because her celebrity mom thinks it’s the best idea for her. She just wants to get through school like anyone else, while being an outsider far from ho
Angela
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received this as an eARC to read for free in exchange for my honest review. Thank you to The Parliament House and R. J. Garcia for giving me access.

Visions, young love, the four Musketeer’s of sorts, a haunting mystery. Oh my!

WOW! This was a rollercoaster of a story! The Call of Death constantly had me sitting on the edge of my seat! You are immediately pulled in, just to find out that this isn’t the story. WHAT?!

While the ending was perfect, I was left wanting more. More of Garcia’s writing
Gerardo Delgadillo
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
THE CALL OF DEATH is paranormal mystery at its finest. We follow Hanna’s journey in the present and other discontinuous timelines–near future, distant, and far. A thing I loved, because all these disparate dreams or premonitions or whatever they are, tie together to build an extremely creepy reality, a reality Hanna knows will happen. Meaning, Hanna must convince her friends help her figure out a way to stop the psychopath at hand.

The writing shines, characterization is extremely strong, and the
Dawn
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A unique page turner with thrills, chills and lots of heart.
Yesha- Books Teacup and Reviews
Mar 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paranormal
You can read all my review on Blog - Books Teacup and Reviews

The Call of Death was paranormal YA, part horror, part romance and suspense. It revolved around Hanna and her psychic ability. The book was about friendship, romance, doing right thing, using gift to help others, bravery, and good vs evil.

Writing was gripping, thrilling and captivating. Characters and events were well described. It was first person narrative from Hanna and Rory’s perspective.

Book started with Hanna’s nightmare from fu
Permanently_Booked
Mar 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways-arcs
This is my second book by Garcia and I was not disappointed. Echoes of the supernatural holds the hand of mystery and suspense well in this read. Together they trot down the plot line weaving a story of young love, premonition and murder.

Hannah, Rory, Paul and Christian are the prevalent characters in the book though Hannah and Rory share the main character title. When Hannah is shipped off to a boarding school she becomes close friends with this crew. As young love blossoms between her and Ror
Tracy Auerbach
Jan 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed the combination of well-crafted characters and creepy circumstances in this book. My favorite was Rory, the often underrepresented non-heartthrob love interest. Both he and Hannah had a lot of depth, and it was nice to watch them evolve as people throughout the book. The side characters tugged at my heart as well. Love you, Paul! This book sucked me in and kept me glued to see what would happen next. It opens with a bang, and I kept reading to see how the mystery would unfold. A ...more
C.M. Turner
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hannah, Rory, Christian and Paul, are four best friends attending Allston, a boarding school in England.

Hannah, the heroine of the story and her friends, is no ordinary fourteen-year-old. An American girl, she is sent to the school by her actress mother, where she becomes haunted by horrific dreams and visions that take her on an unwelcome journey into the life of a renowned serial killer called, The Creeper. Through her dreams, she becomes aware of his true identity, bringing the foursome even
Bethanye Winters
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! R.J. Garcia brings us another incredible, intense read.
This paranormal thriller has you hooked from the first chapter to its intense finale. Hannah's dark gift sets her and her friends on a path so terrifying they may not make it out alive.

Its Switches between Hannahs POV and her friends Rory's POV. It gives you a insight into both sides of the outcome of Hannahs gift.
As the story ramps up there are twists and turns that they must overcome. Every choice they make alters thei
Beaird Glover
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a fourteen-year-old romance that mostly takes place in a British boarding school, but look out young love, there’s a killer on the loose! The author has uncanny insight into the innocent, curious minds of youngsters. The kids are obsessed with kissing and exchanging looks, sparks fly and jealousy comes yipping at their heels. “I tried to calm myself. Sure, I disliked him at that moment, but I also loved him. Most of all, I didn’t want him to get killed.”

They search for proof of love, an
S. Sollay
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was feeling like a fangirl when I requested an early copy, but couldn't wait! It starts when Hannah Priestly has a terrible dream after she and her three male friends walked near a river where a serial killer had struck. They were joking around but something seemed to follow Hannah home, and even weirder visions were to come. Great characters, visceral details, and the building and releasing of tension make this book a great read. Toward the end of the book when nervous, by the book, Hannah ta ...more
Calina Edwards
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This beautiful and haunting story gripped me right away. Hannah is an American girl living at an English boarding school. She wakes up knowing the name of a serial killer who will attack her unless she and her friends can change fate.
Like R.J. Garcia's first novel, Nocturnal Meetings of the Misplaced, The Call of Death is a roller coaster ride of suspense.

It is a story about first love, friendship and loss, interwoven with dark twists the reader won’t see coming. I really liked Hannah and Rory
Dillon Walker
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was a constant thrill that had me on the edge of my seat wanting to know what was going to happen next. I would highly recommend this book to anyone that loves suspense, amazing characters, and realistic teenage romance... and murder. There's some of that. I can't recommend this book highly enough.
Nick
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a thrilling ride! In The Call of Death, R.J. Garcia combines a charming coming of age story with a suspenseful plot involving murder, courage, and selfless heroism. This is a page-turner with a plot littered with tension, emotion, and supernatural undertones that work really well together. I highly recommend!
Maddie
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Call of Death made me smile, cry and hold my breath at times. The romance was as frustrating as it was entertaining and beautiful. I rooted for Rory and Hannah so hard. The darker, Norman Biggs moments laced throughout made it so you never knew what was coming around the corner. I was oddly protective of Hannah and her friends. I'm still thinking about these characters.
Stingy Strawberries
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I want to write a love letter to The Call of Death. It is everything I Iike in a book. Mystery, romance with paranormal elements and characters that I won’t forget for a long time. A sequel, please.
Jess
Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I want to thank R.J.Garcia for a copy of this amazing ebook in exchange for an honest review.

In this fast-paced novel, we follow Hannah & Rory on an adventure of "psychic dreams...." Hannah has these dreams and Rory and their friends follow along to try and fix the horrible dreams.

I couldn't put this book down for several reasons. First, there's the mystery of what will transpire from these dreams. Second, of course there's a bit of romance in it to keep you in the edge of your seat- just waiti
Ellen
Dec 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book! A young teenager starts having dreams, but they seem so real... and they start becoming real... like the serial killer she sees over and over again. Thankfully she has an amazing support group of guy friends who are all half in love with her to have her back. I loved the jump from LA to England and back, I loved the character development and relationships between the friends, other schoolmates, and families. It was realistic with the little bit of dream visions that I believe ...more
Alice J.
Dec 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fourteen year old Hannah struggles with her daily reality alongside having visions of a killer and her future. She confides in her friends, Rory, Paul and Christian who are always at her side because she is away at boarding school and together, they solve the riddles of her visions and dreams to figure out who the killer is, why she's targeted, and try to stop him before it's too late.

This book was a rollercoaster that kept me guessing what was coming next!
R.J. Sorrento
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-reviews, ya
The Call of Death, R.J. Garcia’s second novel, is a chilling delight of a read with twists and thrills at every turn.

The book is told via two POVs, Hannah and her love interest Rory, which added richness to the plot. I enjoyed seeing the story through contrasting eyes. Garcia has a knack for writing teenagers. The dialogue was authentic, and the teenagers’ arguments, worries, and ever-changing emotions felt very genuine.

The heart of the book is both the urgency to solve a killer mystery and Hann
Alexa Whitewolf
Feb 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book... Wow. A mix of friendship, thriller and crazy pacing that had me biting my nails to the very end! I love Garcia’s ability to write teenager minds. It’s incredibly hard to do, but she pulls it off like a magic trick out of a hat, time and time again. This is my second novel I’ve read by the author and consider me hooked! If you’re looking for your next thrilling read peppered with romance, you’ll want to pick this one up, TODAY!
Guy Ricketts
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recently finished reading this fantastic adventure - what a pleasure of suspense, characterization and fun that kept me going from start to finish! It's a complex story, yet quite easy to follow our heroes through their suspenseful journey.
Emma Katherine
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Read my full review here: https://lifesanovelty.blogspot.com/20...

Opinions: The beginning of The Call of Death lacked a defined plot but made up for it with fun, flowing, and tension-building scenes. The introduction was hooking and foreshadowing, making for an interesting and engaging read all the way through. As I previously anticipated, the characters were relatable and realistic (excluding the fantastical elements) which enhanced the reading experience. Hannah, the protagonist, was easy to s
Scarolet Ellis
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Call of Death by R.J. Garcia Oh my gosh this was an amazing read for me. This is first time I have ever read this author and I can not wait to read more from her. I highly recommend this story to all.
SassyGirl
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow. The story starts off as intriguing but really picks up speed and I couldn't put it down. The story is about first love set against a young girl's visions of a serial killer. I like the coming of age part and that it wasn't confusing but angsty and suspenseful. The characters are amazing and there are twists and turns you won't see coming. It got my heart rate going! The ending was perfect. I hope there is a sequel because I love more of these characters.
Nancy (The Avid Reader)
Fourteen-year-old Hannah Priestly is a California girl whose mother is an actress and sends her to an English boarding school. Hannah lives life like any average girl of her age. Her best friends are all guys one of which Hannah has a crush on.

Yeah Hannah and Rory like each other very much both of them are very shy in making that first step as they are afraid that the other one doesn’t feel the same and don’t want to make a fool of themselves. But over time with season changes and a few school

• The Redpoint Crux
  • Child of Nod (The Balance #1)
  • Lullaby of Flames (Campfire Fantasy Tales, #1)
  • Marrow Charm (The Gate Cycle, #1)
  • This Will Kill That (This Will Kill That, #1)
  • Shadowed By Despair (Laith, #3)
  • Avocado Bliss
  • Dearest Clementine: Dark and Romantic Monstrous Tales (Letters, #1)
  • Masks
  • Lyrics & Curses (Cursed Hearts, #1)
  • The Memory Thief
  • Disenchanted (Disenchanted, #1)
  • Tin (Faeries of Oz, #1)
  • Hook & Crown
  • Blinding Night (Blinding Night, #1)
  • The Shrike & the Shadows
  • Gilded Ruins (Blinding Night, #2)
  • Dearest Dorin: A Romantic Ghostly Tale (Letters, #2)
R.J. Garcia is a wife and proud mom. She earned her MSW and worked with foster children and as a school social worker. Writing has been her other great love. She has published several non-fiction pieces. She has been writing short-stories for as long as she can remember. To her amazement, those short stories became novels!

If you would like to learn more about R.J.'s break out novel, Nocturnal Mee