Start by marking “Victory of Eagles (Temeraire, #5)” as Want to Read:
Victory of Eagles (Temeraire, #5)

Victory of Eagles

(Temeraire #5)

For Britain, conditions are grim: Napoleon’s resurgent forces have breached the Channel and successfully invaded English soil. Napoleon’s prime objective is the occupation of London. Unfortunately, the dragon Temeraire has been removed from military service–and his captain, Will Laurence, has been condemned to death for treason. Separated by their own government and threat ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 374 pages
Published May 19th 2009 by Del Rey (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Victory of Eagles, please sign up.
Jonathon Nichols Imagine how a dog "coils up on himself". Less like a snake, but more like a big dog. Remember, in the previous book she liked to make a heated pit to…moreImagine how a dog "coils up on himself". Less like a snake, but more like a big dog. Remember, in the previous book she liked to make a heated pit to sleep in. I imagine her spines aren't poky...hence them being spines and not spikes.

I always imagined her more like a spiny bearded dragon.(less)

Manisha
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of historical fiction.
With each book, I have a clearer understanding about what kind of series this is. I will never recommend this series to fantasy readers. If anything, I will recommend this series to historical fiction readers.

Yes, there are dragons, a completely fantastical element that is the focal point in the storytelling.

However, the dragons themselves have their own personalities and histories. The issues that occur in the story are military based and more in line with problems arising in historical fictio
Kelly
Jul 12, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kelly by: Merrin
Emily
Jan 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Out of the five Temeraire book I've read, this is my 2nd favorite (after book 1). Every time I read one of these books I fall in love with Temeraire all over again - best dragon ever! Not much else to say about it a this point -if you're considering reading Victory of Eagles, you already like the series.

OH - PS - I love the narrator on the audiobook. He sounds exactly how I imagine Temeraire to sound.
Rebecca
Jul 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone, but read the first four first
Shelves: fantasy, past-earth
So, at the end of Empire of Ivory, Laurence and Temeraire agree to commit treason to deliver a cure to a draconic plague to France -- Temeraire feeling that the lives of thousands of innocent dragons isn't worth victory of the war, and Laurence agreeing. Laurence then wishes to return to Britain, despite knowing he will be imprisoned or hanged for it, and Temeraire confined -- his own honor prevents him from staying in Europe, either as a French officer or a civilian. The book picks up several ...more
Jack +Books & Bourbon+
Well, here we go. It definitely feels like we are getting close to the final stretch in this series. Victory of Eagles certainly has that “setting up for the endgame” feel to it, especially as the playing field starts to shift to equality, pretty much for the first time. England has always been reactive to Napoleon’s tactics and numbers, but we finally get a sense of strategy and forethought from our British military leaders (a nice switch).

Picking up shortly where Empire of Ivory left off, we s
Christine (AR)
Feb 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sff
Can I give this six stars? It's the best book in the series since His Majesty's Dragon, and I've enjoyed them all.

No spoilers here, but I read this entire book with my heart in my throat. I came away thinking what an incredible commentary it was on how the right choice isn't necessarily the easy or popular one, and how making a moral decision can still exact an unbelievably high cost. I admire Novik so much for never taking the easy way out, for making her characters pay the consequences for th
Hailee
May 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

There will be spoilers in this review for the last book in this series Empire of Ivory and the information the blurb on the back of this book provides.

After being left on a bit of a cliffhanger in the last book I was relieved to finally have time to read this and find out about the consequences of Temeraire and Laurence's so called treason of preventing the slaughter of thousands of enemy dragons through poison. Temeraire and Laurence spend about I third of this book separated and it wa
Monica
Sep 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this installment of the Temeraire series, but I had to take a big break after book 4. This is the type of series that gets a little repetitive if you try to read the whole series at once, but it is still a great series that takes you to many different places in the world in the time of Napoleon. It is wonderful how well the fantasy element fits in with the history!
Kitvaria Sarene
As you might notice, I quickly got addicted to this series! Just finished book 5 - and especially enjoyed this one! Not 80% of travel again, but real progress for both of our main characters and crews - if the progress might not be for the good, it is another thing completely...
It really was a step up again from the last two books, and I bought book 6-9 right away too now.
Fani
Sep 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The circumstances were not ordinary. Laurence was a man already dead in law.

After the way things ended in the last book for Laurence and Temeraire, I was a bit scared for them in the beginning of this one. This series proves that it’s not necessary to have romance as the main relationship between the characters in order for the story to be interesting.

Friendship is an interesting relationship to explore in the books especially when it is between a human and a dragon. There was nothing more h
Donna
Jan 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This book is the 5th one in the Temeraire series by Naomi Novik. I found this a very enjoyable series. The little dragon is all grown up and working some things out on his own. His attachment to his human is still binding and very sweet. Speaking of his human, I really like Lawrence. Even with his British stiffness, he is easy to like and flexible to a certain extent. I think his personality plays well off of the other humans and even the dragons.
Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten*
Another excellent installment, and a good in-betweener sort of book; Laurence and Temeraire spend the majority of the book dealing with the consequences of their actions in Empire of Ivory. Lien did make for a spectacular arrival toward the end, and Iskierka is unfortunately becoming something of an insufferable little brat. I adored her in Black Powder War and Empire but she truly seems to be wearing on Granby, which I'm not pleased about because I love him and he deserves all the good things. ...more
YouKneeK
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Victory of Eagles is the fifth book in the Temeraire series. I really enjoyed this one, at least as much as the first book. Unlike the fourth book, there weren’t any niggling annoyances to distract me from a story that I had been otherwise enjoying. There was a small change in the storytelling format that I particularly loved.

I’m going to put the rest of my review within spoiler tags so I can freely discuss some things in more detail.

(view spoiler)
Jeffrey
Jul 19, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy fans of historical fiction
Naomi Novik continues her winning alternative history series with Victory of Eagles. For those fantasy fans who have not read any of her books, you should venture to the local library and get into the books because they are a wonderful combination of history and fantasy.

In the last novel in this series, Laurence and Termeraire (his dragon) discovered a cure for an epidemic that was killing all of the dragons. Laurence brought a cure back to England but the lords decided in a little smallpox idea
Scott Sigler
Aug 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A stellar tale. Some fantastic battle scenes. And Laurence becomes a more real character, IMHO, as the consequences of his actions catch up with him.
Mark
Jul 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
In which Temeraire receives lessons both formal and informal about how to be a leader from Field Marshal Arthur Wellesley, whom in our own pages of history we know also as the Duke of Wellington.

What is it about Wellington that makes him such a compelling character when he shows up in the pages of a real world/fantasy novel? He is a vivid personality in his limited screen time in a book like Jonathan Strange and here he shows up in the fifth book of the Temeraire series as well, maybe not charac
Richard Derus
Rating: 3* of five

Series books always run a big risk: They can feel "phoned in" or less than exciting to the writer; or they can feel place-holder-y, like the book is a bridge to the next one in the series, without an obvious and unique place in the series's created universe. A little of both happens here.

I wasn't in any way doubting that Novik would take me back into Temeraire's alternative Earth with dispatch; she certainly did that. This is a writer who knows what mood she wants to create and
Leseparatist
Mar 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
This novel shows that a great set-up a great novel makes. The excellent, game-changing ending of the previous novel dictates the repercussions here and it's as good as expected, or maybe even better.

The best Temeraire novel by far, Victory of Eagles takes those elements of the previous novels that really worked for me (characterisation, conflict of values, honour versus pragmatism, dragons being adorable) and adds unprecedented depth to the characterisation by making the characters face hard cho
Julie Davis
Sep 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was filled with a kind of wild glee at Temeraire's peremptory actions on behalf of the nation. It never occurred to me to consider his fate once Laurence had been condemned for treason or that each might be held as hostage for the other's good behavior. Temeraire on his own gives us a better look at dragon priorities, natural behavior, and capability for adaptation.

Here, too, we get down to brass tacks as Bonaparte invades England. Unlike many of the battle oriented parts of the previous books
Cherie
Very emotional but interesting story with the Dragons embroiled in fighting Napoleon and fighting for their rights to pay and rank in the service.
Ben Babcock
Kerry
Nov 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Man, I almost want to give this four stars because I enjoyed it so much! But it's still just fluff, I don't know if I can give fluff four stars. We'll see. It's a solid 3.5 though. (And I should say, in addition to fluff, there was definite actual WAR in this one. Like, people and dragons dying in horrible terrible ways that reminds one that war is a real thing, even if dragons are not, and it's fucking terrible.)

So Laurence was in a funk for much of this book because he's a traitor and whatnot
Brownbetty
Mar 15, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just got to this book, since I'm not planning to buy it in hardcover, since it wouldn't fit on my shelves that way. My mother read it before me and complained that it wasn't as good as the previous, since it consisted mainly of logistics; I however think logistics are pretty awesome, and have been known to give up on books which cannot explain to me how the foot-soldiers got from A to B, so this is perfectly all right with me.

This book is not, however, rolicking good fun, or not quite so much
Juushika
When Laurence and Temeraire are separated, Temeraire assumes a commission of his own. The introduction of Temerarie's PoV is only briefly disorientating; it is, on the whole, a great addition, because this book is all about consequences--of the recent cliffhanger, but also of Laurence's actions throughout the series, and to see them from without, via a character unaware of that complicated social and moral position, is especially effective. It also keeps this book from becoming too dour--so too ...more
Marina
May 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, 4-star
Great instalment, but not as good as the last one.

There's a lot happening in this novel, a lot of new characters, a lot of old characters, in this mix, so sometimes it was just a little bit hard to remember who's who.

There's a lot of action as well, but while it is exciting at first, it gets bogged down towards the end.

I'm kind of glad their lives have become a lot more complicated and that Laurance wasn't forgiven and sent away with a slap on a wrist. It really give a lot of complexity to the
Kaethe Douglas
2011 September 23

This volume brings the war home to Britain, and it is ugly, of course. but it's also amazing, that Novik can draw the reader in to issues of supply lines and transportation, and make the very mundane fascinating. A thrilling story which makes the routine discomforts and privations of war more stark. And she never loses her keen moral vision, allowing characters to debate and consider different viewpoints. Brilliant.

Library copy.
Dichotomy Girl
3.5 Stars
Kathy Davie
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys Cornwell's Richard Sharpe series or Patrick O'Brian.
Fifth in the Temeraire historical military science fiction series and revolving around a Celestial dragon and his captain.

My Take
I love Victory of Eagles, and I hate it. I love that Temeraire forms up his own fighting unit — prison break!! — and confounds the English. That colonel business cracked me up. And Temeraire gets one of his dearest wishes, lol. He gets his chance to incorporate some of what he learned in China and makes a number of farmers happy.

It's a matter of proving that dragons an
Garrisson_wings
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Can I give this six stars? Can I give it more?
Ambrosia
Dec 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've been a fan of this series from the start, even if I did think the third book (Black Powder War) dipped a little in terms of quality. The others have all been excellent, however, serving up some surprisingly-well-thought-out alternative-military-history with a good dose of character development seasoned with a soupcon of social conscience.

This one, however, manages to excel even past the series' already high expectations. Laurence, having in the last book followed the dictates of his conscie

• Dragon Avenger (Age of Fire #2)
  • The Alchemist in the Shadows (The Cardinal's Blades #2)
  • Within the Sanctuary of Wings (The Memoirs of Lady Trent, #5)
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • The Griffin's War (The Fallen Moon #3)
  • Ink and Steel (Promethean Age, #3)
  • Dragon Soul (Havemercy #3)
  • Territory
  • Without a Summer (Glamourist Histories, #3)
  • Ha'penny (Small Change, #2)
  • King's Shield (Inda, #3)
  • The Flight of Dragons
  • The House of the Stag (Lord Ermenwyr, #2)
  • The Privilege of the Sword (Riverside, #2)
An avid reader of fantasy literature since age six, when she first made her way through The Lord of the Rings, Naomi Novik is also a history buff with a particular interest in the Napoleonic era and a fondness for the work of Patrick O’Brian and Jane Austen. She studied English literature at Brown University, and did graduate work in computer science at Columbia University before leaving to partic ...more

Temeraire (9 books)
  • His Majesty's Dragon (Temeraire, #1)
  • Throne of Jade (Temeraire, #2)
  • Black Powder War (Temeraire, #3)
  • Empire of Ivory (Temeraire, #4)
  • Tongues of Serpents (Temeraire, #6)
  • Crucible of Gold (Temeraire, #7)
  • Blood of Tyrants (Temeraire, #8)
  • League of Dragons (Temeraire, #9)
“No; they nearly drowned you, and not even on purpose but only through carelessness. I am not letting them have you back,” Temeraire said.” 15 likes
“[Maximus] put his head down and said in a conspiratorial whisper, “Tell Temeraire that Lily and I have not forgotten our promise; we will not let them hang you at all."

Laurence stared up at the immense Regal Copper. All his crew looked deeply distressed, as well they might, the outlaw remark being perfectly audible several clearings over.”
15 likes