Start by marking “Thank You, Garden” as Want to Read:

A celebration of the plants—and people—that grow and thrive in a busy community garden.

Published March 3rd 2020 by Beach Lane Books

To ask other readers questions about Thank You, Garden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thank You, Garden

Start your review of Thank You, Garden
May 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, reviewed
When I convinced my four-year-old to climb onto the couch with me to read Thank You, Garden, we weren't sure what to expect. Let me begin by saying this isn't an average review from me. For one thing, I don't often review picture books (though I adore them). Another thing, I read this to my son on my laptop. Keep these facts in mind, or nothing you read hence will seem wondrous.

Thank You, Garden is a wonderfully earthy picture book written in simple rhyming prose by Liz Garton Scanlon. Shakespea
Alex  Baugh
May 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
"Garden ready / garden new / Garden so much / work to do!" Yes, gardens are a lot of work, but in the end they can be so rewarding. And that is exactly what this simple rhyming text picture book imparts to young readers. In this community garden, a group of diverse neighbors of all ages work all spring and summer for make this a successful garden, coming together at the end to enjoy the fruits of their labors. The text is repetitive and it only took a few reading for my kids to memorize the word ...more
Mary Lee
Mar 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
The text is simple and rhyming. The illustrations bring the reader in and hold them, showing all the things a community garden can be.
Maida
May 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, lsbbt, ebooks
Lyrical captions and superb drawings depicting a diverse community make this picture book a must-buy for purchasers of children’s literature.

Full review is at maidamalby.com
Alice Ball
Oct 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Much joy to be found in this urban public garden!
Kristine Hall
Oh my gosh! The precious factor of Thank You, Garden is off the charts. I'm going to start by gushing about the look of the book because I have never denied the fact that try as I might, I can't help first judging a book by its cover.

The illustrations, done in acrylic and watercolor by Simone Shin, are adorable and reminiscent of Raggedy Ann and Andy with the characters' red, triangular noses and pink-circle blushing cheeks. [Side note: one character's nose is different from all others. I must
Katie P.
May 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs
Author Liz Garton Scanlon brings her beautiful poetic style to a prescient topic, gardening! THANK YOU, GARDEN is a wonderful picture book, depicting the stages of gardening and the joys that come with it. Brilliant colors coupled with fun rhyme schemes bring life to the wonderful subject of a community or home garden.

The narrative follows that gardens do not have to be neat and tidy, nor do they have to be large or small. The author cultivates the notion that gardens take time to grow and all
Christena
May 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thank you, Garden is a picture-perfect read-along children’s book on why gardening is so essential. I remember picking green beans, okra, tomatoes, peas, cantaloupe, blackberries, figs, squash – just to name a few with my grandmothers. I knew from an early age that gardening was important because vegetables and fruits did not all come from the market and okra was always sticky and prickly.

Author, Liz Garton Scanlon created a children’s book that shows not only the importance of a garden, but tha
Julie
May 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received a complimentary e-copy of this book as part of this tour.

Thank You, Garden is a sweet and beautifully illustrated children’s book about a community garden.

The book illustrations follow a lovely poem-narrative showing what a garden is, what you do to tend to a garden, and how to enjoy your hard work. I loved the feast gathering at the end, where everyone brought what they had been working on growing, and the community shared in the celebration of their garden.

My son very much enjoyed t
Ms Threlkeld
Jun 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Minimal rhyming text and elaborate mixed media illustrations complement each other perfectly to celebrate a community garden that is tended to by lots of different people living in a city. The four raised beds are almost empty at the start of the story, but over time and with great care the garden grows "like a child, rosy, leggy, fresh, and wild." The book ends with all of the characters enjoying a homegrown feast together. Young readers will pore over the pictures, searching for all of the tin ...more
Laura Salas
I love the brief rhyming text and the way it brings to life the realities (the work, the waiting!) and joys (frogs, mud, community) of a neighborhood garden. And the art is just lovely! I wish the paper were glossier or whatever quality of paper would allow the vibrant art to shine more. There's so much dark soil background in the art that the matte paper (or the printing process itself, or something) makes this book much darker, visually speaking, than it feels like it should be. But it's still ...more
Christine Turner
A community garden unites children and neighbors in this celebration of all the things that grow there, from flowers and fruits to friendships. In the spirit of her Caldecott Honor­-winning picture book All the World, this ode to friendship, community, and working together for a better world will have young readers gathering their friends young and old to plant something together

Subject: Stories in rhyme.
Community gardens -- Juvenile fiction.
Gardening -- Juvenile fiction.
Erin Buhr
Mar 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-books
Simple and sweet, I highly recommend this story for toddlers and young preschoolers. The text is brief and repetitive. The illustrations are cheerful and full of fun little details to notice. It is the story of a community garden and of springtime, and people of all ages coming together. The perfect story to read aloud in Spring and Summer.
Aolund
In cheerful rhyming text, the day-to-day work of planting, caring for, and playing in a community garden is celebrated. A simple and effective book showing characters of different ages and skin tones working together to create a beautiful garden.

Themes: Garden, Work Together, Plants, Community, Neighborhood
Age range: Toddler through Kindergarten
Mary Louise Sanchez
Aug 08, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book, poetry
A great rhyming book about gardens. While the illustrations are good, especially about showing diverse children with varying facial coloring, it is difficult to see them and the text because the backgrounds on each spread are too dark.
Mary
Aug 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a great story about a community garden in a city setting. The text is simple and rhyming, which makes it a great read-aloud for 3-6 y/o. The illustrations are fine (maybe not my favorite) but the colors are nice and bright.
Caroline
Dec 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
“Garden growing like a child, rosy, leggy, fresh and wild”—a lyrical picture book about a community garden and the diverse group of gardeners who tend it, by the author of one of our family's favorites, All the World.⁣
Edward Sullivan
Feb 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A celebratory look at a busy, urban community garden.
Mary Kate
Mar 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Super cute book! I thoroughly enjoyed the illustrations and the color palette used to create them. This is a great read about the joys of gardening as a community for people of any age.
Jessica
Apr 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
A lovely book!
Pinky
May 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Melanie Borski-Howard
Spot on, very simple book about a community garden.

no CLEL
Liz
Jun 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Story time!
Miss Pippi the Librarian
Rhyming story about a shared garden plot in an urban setting. The story starts at the beginning of planting and goes until harvest.

Reviewed from a library copy.
Paul Terpstra
Jul 16, 2020 rated it liked it
Nice idea, but lacks story. Could have book more than this
Marcie
Jul 27, 2020 rated it liked it
Recommended to Marcie by: Broomfield new books
Must be the day for Garden books. This was nice but the illustrations did not bowl me over.
Cyril
Aug 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Lovely, colorful celebration of gardens and other growing things.
Deb in UT
Aug 26, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: for-alena
This is not my favorite Liz Garton Scanlon book, but it has a good message. Gardens are great.
Jack & Lily Wills
Sep 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Really fun illustrations!
Kelly
I've read a lot of picture books recently about community gardens. This was good. ...more

• Hike
  • Green on Green
  • Outside In
  • All Because You Matter
  • Black Is a Rainbow Color
  • Goodnight, Veggies (board book)
  • Lift
  • Are Your Stars Like My Stars?
  • Nana Akua Goes to School
  • Vote for Our Future!
  • I Talk Like a River
  • The Same But Different Too
  • Positively Izzy
Liz Garton Scanlon is the author of numerous beloved books for young people, including the highly-acclaimed, Caldecott-honored picture book All the World, illustrated by Marla Frazee, and her debut novel for middle grade readers, The Great Good Summer, as well as The Good-Pie Party; Happy Birthday, Bunny!; Noodle & Lou, and several others. Ms. Scanlon is also a poet, a teacher and a frequent & pop ...more