Start by marking “Knock Three Times” as Want to Read:
Knock Three Times

Knock Three Times

(The Wizards of Once #3)

Cressida Cowell, author of How to Train Your Dragon, brings us the next thrilling installment in the internationally bestselling Wizards of Once series!

Xar and Wish are heroes with a huge task ahead--confronting the Nuckalavee is not for the faint hearted. But with Magic and Iron together, they might just have a chance of saving their beloved homes from those who seek to
Published May 14th 2020 by Hodder Children's Books (first published September 19th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Knock Three Times, please sign up.
Smiley
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Knock Three Times
Gavin
Jul 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Being the third in a series I don't want to spoil anything that happens, because the plot is ticking along nicely and it's setting up for the fourth and final book (and I am so excited to read it!). This was a very good instalment in the series and I think it just edges Twice Magic as my favourite so far. The series has gotten better and better with each book. ...more
Helene
Jul 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I got a proof copy of Knock Three Times and I am so blessed.

I feel like Cressida took this to a new level.
The emotions, twists and reveals hit harder, or maybe that’s just because I was so excited to read it.
This book is also a lot darker. It’s not every day there is a (minor) named character death in the first 50 pages and a cold blooded murder on-page.
The first few chapters were INTENSE

I won’t say too much about the story yet, but I feel like the majority of it is character driven instead of
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Nov 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
1.) The Wizards of Once ★★★★★
2.) Twice Magic ★★★★
3.) Knock Three Times ★★★★
4.) Never and Forever [ON TBR]

-----------------------------------------------

“Notice how the crucible of the story changes those who listen to it, those who are within it, and the person who is telling it, all at the same time.”

representation: none that i can remember!

[trigger warnings are listed at the bottom of this review and may contain spoilers]

★★★★

these are SO much fun.

trigger warnings: fantasy violence, loss o
Jessica
These books are SO FREAKING ADORABLE.

I especially loved meeting Caliburn's sister Perdita, and Bodkin's storyline in this one! It seems like we're in the endgame now, the fourth one comes out soon and I am willing to bet it's the last. *sobs* I will miss my little friends! But I do want to know who the narrator is! I have my suspicions . . .
Becky
Jun 20, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-reads
Interesting how the story progressed in this one, but i can't ignore that it took me so long to read the last ~200 pages. I lost interest for a bit in the middle, and it didn't pick up again until the last 50-100 pages.
Think this was just middle of the road, didn't enjoy it as much as Twice Magic.
Robin Stevens
Dec 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another brilliant, magical book in Cressida Cowell's Wizards of Once series. I'm her biggest fan! (7+)

*Please note: this review is meant as a recommendation only. If you use it in any marketing material, online or anywhere on a published book without asking permission from me first, I will ask you to remove that use immediately. Thank you!*
Hadaiyah
Dec 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I didn't realise how much I missed Cressida Cowell's writing until I read this book. Her books always feel like home. ...more
Mehsi
The third book and what a ride it was!

I just adore the book’s titles they are always so much fun and I love how they fit with the number of the book. I am quite curious about what the fourth, and I am guessing last, book will be called. I can’t wait!

In this book our trio and all their fairies/sprites/animals, and oh yes Crusher the giant are out to find the last ingredients they need for the spell to finally get rid of the witches. We meet new people, see them have a semblance of normal lives wh
Emma
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ARC provided by publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Now I must be honest, I am sorry but i did not get round to reading this prior to its release so ended up reading my pre-ordered copy.

I do not want to get into the plot as this is the third book in the series but I have to say they just keep getting better and better. I loved the character development of everyone which seemed to progress so much further in this book. I even love the side stories and characters that come t
Meredith
Wish, Xar, and Bodkin continue their quest to find the ingredients for the spell to get rid of witches.

This book begins not too long after the previous installment Twice Magic left off. Wish, Wish’s enchanted objects, Bodkin, Xar, and Xar’s entourage are on the run with their respective parents as well as the witches in close pursuit. They find shelter at Pook's Hill, which is a school for magical learning, whose headmistress Perdita is the sister of Xar's talking raven Caliburn.

Pook's Hill, th
Radha
Mar 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Third book in one of my favorite book serie! I can see that it’s coming to the end, and on one side I’m excited that it can come to an end when I still enjoy the entire experience of reading this saga, and on the other side it will be terribly sad not to have more books inside this world with this amazing characters. Specially spoon and squeezjoos ☹️.
As always I recommend listening to the audiobook while reading de actual book! It’s an entire whole experience. David Tennant does an amazing job n
Marie the Librarian
I enjoy this series so much! I like that the adults are hopeless and that their kids are the hope. Its dramatic, funny, scary and magical. And I adore the illustrations!
Fi's Journey
Keep hoping... Keep guessing... Keep dreaming...

I love stories. I always have since I was a child especially Fantasy and Fairy-tales.

Stories like Wizards of Once are brilliant (and my favourites) as they have fantastic elements, witchcraft, nature, great characters, settings and a fun, adventurous story to tell. Stories that have morals and lessons to be learned and show that knowledge is power.

But that's not it. This is a middle-grade book but I'm a strong believer it can be read by anyone and
Tammie
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read- August 2019 for the Hocus Pocus Readathon (Read a book with supernatural or paranormal elements)
- I freaking love this series so much! Cressida Cowell is the most amazing story teller.

1st Re-Read- April 2020 for the O.W.Ls (History of Magic- book featuring wizards/witches) and the 24 Hour Raedathon (hosted by JadeyRaeReads)
- Every time I read a book in this series I can't get over how much I love them. Cressida Cowell is easily my favourite middle grade author of all time.

2nd Re-Read- Janu
Zulfiya
Aug 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing! Exciting! Wonderful! Breathtaking! Full of love and life and my childhood!

I read the book in two days, and because of everything in 2020, it has been sitting on my curently reading shelf since the beginning of the pandemic.

Two things you need to know:
a. It is a Briish book, and the nation has a cultural cushion to write wonderful books.
b. It is a juvenile book, and not the obnoxious angsty YA.

I am looking forward to the final one already. I only hope it will not take 4 months to pu
Barbara Band
May 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The continuing wonderful fantastic funny amazing magical adventures of Xar and Wish …

I love these books. So many loveable characters (but NOT the witches!), plot twists and turns, thrilling escapes, magic with unexpected consequences. What's not to love?

I actually listened to the audio book - read by David Tennant - complete with accents, music, singing!

Would give it 6 stars if I could ...
Summer
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked it a lot, but the series is not quite as good as How To Train Your Dragon.
Jim
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cressida Cowell would full marks for the sheer inventiveness of this series. She obviously has major talents in writing and drawing, and has massive stores of creativity. But... (see end of review for caveat)

I found the third book in the Wizards series to be more about the characters and less about the questing/action. That's not to say there isn't a lot happening, but it definitely takes a back seat to the growth and maturation of Wish, Xar, and Bodkin. We also get to lean plenty of details abo
James
Jan 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Knock Three Times continues the journey of Wish and Xar to save their kingdoms. In this book their task is to collect the scales of the Nuckalavee. Wizards will take the journey to this monster on Shadow quests, but they very rarely return. Wish, Xar and Bodkin will need everything they've learned to simply reach the island of the Nuckalavee. Actually getting the scales is even more difficult. Luckily along the way they meet Caliburn's sister, Perdita. She's sort of a gigantic bear. I think she' ...more
Rachel Meyer
"Love is weakness. . . But what a very nice weakness indeed."

These books keep getting better and better. This one made me happy and made me sad. I loved it and I can't wait to read the finale.

All the characters continued to grow and learn as the story progressed. We got new information about the parents and they made me sad. So did poor little Squeezjous. I just want everyone to end up happy when the story is over, but I'm afraid that isn't going to happen.

It was great, a bit of breather before
Stephanie A.
Third round of being here strictly for David Tennant Reads A Bedtime Story and my enthusiasm has waned even for that, as after a confusing opening battle (did the last book end on a cliffhanger I don't remember?), this is half a boring side detour to go to a school of magic and half a confrontation with the Nuckalavee, to whom I paid minimal attention because he used the most horrible raspy and guttural voice. Witches randomly attack and/or dive-bomb them throughout the story (which admittedly i ...more
Chelsea R.H.
Feb 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this book was a bit disappointing for me compared to the last two. It lacked a lot of the excitement the first two held for me and I wasn't quite on the edge of my seat anymore. But there was still a lot of character development and the plot moved forward and I'm looking forward to the next book.
I also feel that Cressida Cowell had just read Howl's Moving Castle before she wrote this ;)
Dinnu Reads Books
Nov 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A very original and adorable children's book with fun illustrations! 😊
The interesting thing is that I haven't read this author's best known book series How To Train Your Dragon but I have seen the movies based on it and they were so incredibly lovely! I can't believe I still haven't read them... 🤦‍♀️I will fix it and read them eventually! 😃 But before that I have this series' finale to read! 😉
Charlotte
Oct 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, rc19
this was my favorite book of the series to date, becuase of the nicely peaceful interlude at magic school! I love peaceful magic schools....
María
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Extremely enjoyable. One of the best book series that I have read!
Meg
Feb 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just love this series so much.
Greenglasses
Feb 24, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
This was an okay book it might have been because I didn't read the first two. ...more
Haley Jones
May 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-my-shelves
3.5 rounded up
Anne Weaver
Dec 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun Middle School fantasy, with cute illustrations.
Eef
Jun 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this series. The different characters are refreshing. Their love for learning is inspiring. David Tennant reading the audiobook makes it even more fantastic!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
The cave: How To Train Your Dragon 1 2 Jun 29, 2020 08:18PM

• Willow Moss & the Forgotten Tale (Starfell, #2)
  • Moonchild: Voyage of the Lost and Found
  • Frostheart (Frostheart, #1)
  • Escape From Aurora (Frostheart #2)
  • The Land of Roar
  • Hollowpox: The Hunt for Morrigan Crow (Nevermoor, #3)
  • The Strangeworlds Travel Agency (Strangeworlds Travel Agency #1)
  • Jungledrop (The Unmapped Chronicles, #2)
  • Gargantis (The Legends of Eerie-on-Sea, #2)
  • The Highland Falcon Thief (Adventures on Trains, #1)
  • Wonderscape
  • The Castle of Tangled Magic
  • Tilly and the Map of Stories (Pages & Co., #3)
  • The Griffin Gate
  • The Vanishing Trick
  • The World’s Worst Children
  • Ghostcatcher (Potkin and Stubbs, #3)
  • A Sprinkle of Sorcery (A Pinch of Magic, #2)
Cressida Cowell grew up in London and on a small, uninhabited island off the west coast of Scotland. She was convinced that there were dragons living on this island, and has been fascinated by dragons ever since. She has a BA in English Literature from Oxford University, a BA in Graphic Design from St Martin's and an MA in Narrative Illustration from Brighton. Cressida loves illustrating her own w ...more

The Wizards of Once (4 books)
  • The Wizards of Once (The Wizards of Once, #1)
  • Twice Magic (The Wizards of Once #2)
  • Never and Forever (The Wizards of Once #4)