Start by marking “Out with the Ex, In with the New” as Want to Read:
Out with the Ex, In with the New

Out with the Ex, In with the New

You know when you sleep through your alarm, trip over running for the bus, and then someone points out that your dress is stuck into your hotdog-print knickers? That’s basically my life right now.

Gemma didn’t expect her life to look like this. She’s still living with her mother, who steals her leggings and tells her off for leaving crumbs in the butter. After twenty
Kindle Edition, 2nd, 396 pages
Published December 3rd 2019 by Bookouture (first published June 15th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Out with the Ex, In with the New, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Out with the Ex, In with the New

Start your review of Out with the Ex, In with the New
Toni
Dec 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, chick-lit
Having recently finished 'No, We Can't be Friends', I really wanted to read another book by Sophie Ranald. This one focused on one of Sloane Cassidy's clients, Gemma Grey, her vlogging career and her search for self-identity and a stable rewarding relationship.
I was surprised how young Gemma sounded compared to Sloane. Sophie Ranald is a master of characterization. It was absolutely clear that this girl is only 24 years old, and is still trying to understand what she would like to do with life.
Jessi ♥️ H. Vojsk
Woah, sadly that was a dnf at 56%.

It was like reading about the daily life and struggle of a YouTube star on the rise.
And i thought surely now something exciting will happen... or now... or now... or now...
but no.
Berit☀️✨
Dec 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: blog-tour, fun, 2019, arc
This book was fun, flirty, and filled with whimsy! Gemma is 24 and at a bit of a crossroads in her life. She has finally landed a job after looking forever. Excited to share this news with her boyfriend Jack, who she is certain she will be moving in with soon, Gemma gets a bit of a shock. Jack has decided he’s going to tour the world and not with Gemma but rather his friend Olivia. So now Gemma finds her self finding a new place to live in London alone, and she finds a room in a house with a ...more
Finitha Jose
Since I loved her previous work 'Sorry not Sorry' I didn't think twice before requesting this novel. Previously published as the Truth about Gemma Grey, this tale of self-discovery opens before us the glittering world of vlogging. With unexpected success which her sudden-impulse video garnered, she gets entry to the world of vlogging celebs along with its false charm.

More than a romance, this novel traces Gemma's path from ruin to instant fame and the prize she will have to pay in order to keep
Obsidian
So this was a so-so romance/chick lit which changed mid-stream into a more "serious" novel that didn't really work. I don't know if Ranald handled it very well. The book also left a couple of things that I would have been interested in seeing handled into a fade to black type moment. I really wanted Gemma to just stand on her own two feet (which she seemed ready to do) but she seemed to only be focused on a relationship. Some readers may feel a bit out of depth with this book's focus on YouTube ...more
Romancereadingaddict
This novel was okay. I would read it again. This novel discusses the life of Gemma. She was first introduced with having a boyfriend named Jack. They have been together for 4 years. They seem to have a good relationship when Jack tells Gemma that he is going on holiday with Olivia his bestfriend. They discussed doing a long distance when Jack and Olivia the bestfriend get together. He breaks up with Gemma which causes her to go onto her YouTube channel and rant about breaking up. This caused her ...more
Ad Rocks Socks (semi hiatus)
3 stars

//Really long review.

Overall Thoughts:

Out With The Ex, In With The New by Sophie Ranald is a contemporary novel centred on 24 y/o Gemma, a small-time YouTuber who lives in London. With central themes of social media popularity, finding oneself (as people in their twenties are wont to do), and romantic agonising, this novel makes for a quick and fun read.

The story (no spoilers; only things available in the blurb mentioned here, in my own words):

Gemma, after months of looking for a job,
Els
Dec 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
When you read a feel good book, you are certain about one thing : a happy ending. It does not mean that the whole story is captured in a rosy cloud, that violins are playing or that everything is lovey-dovey.

More than once the road to happiness is very bumpy and twisty, but in the end you get where you want to be.

When you are being dumped, you are on a rollercoaster of emotions. You are sad, angry and a lot of scenarios for revenge go through your mind.

Suddenly you realise your heart is on the
Alison
Three and a half stars.

Gemma thinks getting a job at Clickfrenzy as a junior writer is the start of all her dreams coming true. Finally she'll be able to leave home and get a place in London with her long-term boyfriend Jack. But when she breaks the good news to Jack he tells her that he's resigned and is going to travel the world with his friend Olivia. Suddenly all Gemma's hopes and dreams are left for dust in Jack's wake, made even worse when he dumps her via email and announces that he and
Laura ☾
Nov 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
*Thank you to the publisher and Netgalley for providing an ARC in exchange for an honest review *

This book is a rom- com set in London, wherein Gemma's boyfriend Jack leaves her to go travelling because he doesn’t want to settle down. Gemma makes a video about her breakup which goes viral and she turns into a blogger/influencer.

While this was an entertaining enough read, it was veeeery slow, and seemed to be mostly about Gemma just going about her daily life.

Also, there are lot of specific
Sharon
Dec 15, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: audiobook
Gemma Gray is a YouTuber who goes viral unexpectedly when she uploads a very raw reaction to her boyfriend dumping her. With her newfound fame comes a new love interest and lots of new career opportunities - she is thrust into the world of #sponcon, brand ambassador deals and agents.

I found this a bit boring - Gemma is dull, she had no likeability for me at all. I didn't really feel like I ever got to know her personality. Her Mum seemed like a much more interesting character. There was zero
Toya
Nov 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Sophie Ranald is known for her heartwarming contemporary fiction that’s laced with some good laughs. Out With the Ex, In With the New is no exception.

Poor Gemma just can’t catch a break. She finally lands her first career position out of university to find out that her long-term boyfriend Jack wants to go galavanting around the world with his best friend Olivia in tow. Of course he promises that they will work things out and that everything will be wonderful…until he decides to send a Dear
thewoollygeek (tea, cake, crochet & books)
A lovely read, very funny but also touches on important issues and handles them so well. It’s a great book, steady pacing, well written and nice characters. A fun read.

Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for a free copy for an honest opinion
Shalini
I generally don't read chick-lit or any of the lighter books, unless well recommended. This book pulled me in due to its title. That resonated with me...

Gemma was a part of a couple till Jack broke off with her over an email. Her heartbroken story went viral via vlogging and YouTube. An overnight sensation with a good job and product endorsement deals, Gemma had it made. But something was missing wasn't it?

My first book by Sophie Ranald, I liked Gemma. She cane across as honest and endearing.
Storme
I knew I needed this book when Bookouture shared it would be published on Twitter. So I requested it on NetGalley ASAP, and I’m so lucky I was approved.

Gemma seems to have a good life starting for her when the book begins. She’s found a new job, and she’s in love with her boyfriend Jack. She is still living with her mom, but she’s planning a move to London so her commute is shorter. However, Gemma is thrown for a loop when Jack reveals he’s not ready to live together and settle down. He wants
J.B (Debbie)
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The story begins with Gemma Grey very excited about telling her boyfriend about her new job in London. However, he has some news of his own. Plans of his own that don't involve her. Gemma, a vlogger soon uses this medium to tell the world exactly how she feels and soon is launched into a surreal type of fame with her Youtube channel suddenly becoming the hottest thing out there with lots of interest from people who want to make her an internet sensation. This opens up lots of opportunities for ...more
Pooja (Penningtales)
Gemma Grey is a beauty guru YouTuber with a few thousand followers, who’s struggling to find a job in social media. But the day she lands a job at ClickFrenzy, Jack, her boyfriend of four years, breaks up with her to go on a world tour with his best friend Olivia. Heartbroken, drunk, and with no one else to talk to (all her friends being technically Jack and Olivia’s friends first), Gemma ends up venting her soul out to her YouTube followers. The next day, she discovers she has became
Karen
Dec 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
OUT WITH the EX, IN WITH the NEW
BY SOPHIE RANALD

I really loved this book that isn't something that I usually read. I thought at first that it was going to be silly and a farce but it really touched on some serious subjects such as domestic violence. I really loved Gemma's character as she wasn't at all superficial she had some real depth to her. I loved her mother also who stood by Gemma and I loved their closeness despite Gemma striking out to live in a shared house with Hannah, Richard and
Connie Fischer
Dec 27, 2019 rated it liked it
After living with her mother and commuting to her job in London, Gemma has just landed a job as a junior writer at Clickfrenzy. Now, she’s hoping she can move in with her boyfriend, Jack. But when she tells him about her new job, he then tells her that he has quit his job, He has decided to travel the world with his friend, Olivia, with whom he grew up. There goes their relationship even though Jack promises he will return to Gemma.

Since Gemma’s job is in London and two hours away from where she
Sarah Robbins
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 rounding up to 4. I really enjoyed this contemporary fiction. It's kind of a romantic comedy but with some depth. It was just right for Saturday night, connecting me to the characters as well as contemporary issues. I wish the main character had had a little more personal growth but still a good read.

Triggers: domestic violence, gaslighting, some coarse language
LianaReads blog
Dec 12, 2019 rated it liked it

Because I’ve read other books by the author, I wanted to read this one as well.
Unfortunately, I couldn’t like it as much as the first one. It’s interesting and there are many moments that felt like the heroine is one of my real friend but it also has moments that I wanted to quit reading because it seems like dragging a lot for my liking.
Overall it’s a good story and I’m looking forward to read more books by the author.
Shalini

J_Mc 251
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
While I was able to relate to Gemma a little bit (mainly due to her job and “The Great British Bake-Off” references) I was not able to get behind her fully. I thought she came across as whiny and I didn’t feel like her journey from beginning to end was natural. An opening scene on her first day of work also left a bad taste, as I am tired of the potshots taken at America for no plot value. This book may appeal to many people and I would recommend giving it a try for the few humorous moments (the ...more
Sara Oxton
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Out with the Ex. In with the new Sophie Ranald a four-star read that will surprise you. I nearly gave this three-stars but went with four as overall it was well written, it just lacked in a few places. Gemma is a great character, you will love her, and you will want to shake her, but most of all you will want to hug her and make it all right for her. This was a sweet story, but it does have its moments, one in particular about domestic violence that may upset some, but overall, I liked the theme ...more
Oiza Cavallari
Nov 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Thanks to the publisher Bookouture and netgalley for the ARC for an honest review.

I started out well into this book and then I started to lose interest completely.
We follow the life of .Gemma a youtuber who has a few followers but that changes after she post a video, showing how her boyfriend of four years suddenly broke up with her and broke her heart. Her video goes viral and everything changes.

I love that the book gives a good insight to the youtubers world, how some YouTube careers starts
Donna Hines
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, netgalley
I just want to stop and give Gemma a hug as this poor girl can't catch a break!
Recently landed a media journalism job while enjoying her new found fame on YouTube and now can finally move forward with her plans with her boyfriend Jack and subsequently leave her mom's house behind.
Well not so quick because it seems there's two men on the scene vowing for the coveted title of Gemma's heart but who will she choose or does she even want to make a selection?
Sadly things are going in a downward spiral
Olivia L
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Although the premise for this story is typical for the usual chick-lit book, 'Out With the Ex, In With the New' is anything but typical. In the span of five months, Gemma gets a new job, a new home in London, a new career path, and most of all, a new sense of self. After Jack and Olivia's betrayal, Gemma finds herself alone and depressed, trying to get her professional and personal life back on track. However, as her vlogging career becomes more successful, along with her new relationship with ...more
Janice
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book and read it really quickly. Apparently it’s part of a series that’s loosely based around a coffee shop called The Daily Grind in the trendy London suburb of Hackney.

And here we find Gemma Grey who’s just moved into a house-share nearby. Her life’s not quite turning out to be what she’d planned. After what seemed like an eternal search, she finally landed what seemed like a fairly acceptable job at social media company, ClickFrenzy. Yay! She’s one step closer to accomplishing
Caroline Kerdouci
Out with the ex in with the new is a sweet charming novel set in the world of social media,vloggers and social influencers. This is a lightweight,easy read with likeable characters and I found myself quickly swept up in the life of Gemma Grey, newly single, having moved to London starting a new job at Clickfrenzy and lodging with the odd couple that are Hannah and Richard.
Yes this read is predictable;I could see exactly where this was heading after a few pages but I expect that from this type
loopyloulaura
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Gemma is thrilled to tell her boyfriend Jack that she has a new job but he drops the bombshell that he is going travelling without her. They promise to commit to a long distance relationship but that soon collapses.
Heartbroken, Gemma bares her soul on her YouTube channel and it goes viral… Her life changes forever as she gets swept up in a life of glamour and celebrity that makes her yearn for early nights and junk food.
As an influencer, content creator, blogger, occasional vlogger, whatever,
« previous 1 3 next »

• Sooo Not Looking For a Man
  • Unexpected Lessons in Love
  • The One Who's Not the One
  • Lucy's Last Straw: A feel good, laugh out loud romantic comedy
  • You, Me, Forever: The glorious brand-new rom-com, guaranteed to make you laugh and cry
  • The Lies We Hide
  • Will You
  • Finding Felix
  • Single
  • The Man She Married
  • The Girls in the Lake (Beth Adams #2)
  • The Event (The Creek Water Series, #1)
Sophie Ranald is the youngest of five sisters. She was born in Zimbabwe and lived in South Africa until an acute case of itchy feet brought her to London in her mid-20s.

As an editor for a customer publishing agency, Sophie developed her fiction-writing skills describing holidays to places she’d never visited. In 2011, she decided to disregard all the good advice given to aspiring novelists and