Start by marking “Dances Long Forgotten (Winsford Green, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dances Long Forgotten (Winsford Green, #1)

Dances Long Forgotten

(Winsford Green #1)

On Christmas Eve, Dylan, the man of James Pell-Charnley’s dreams, is on the point of walking out. Then they hear the faint strains of a waltz in the library of the empty abbey. The music is said to be heard only by those truly in love, and it gives James the courage to tell Dylan the story.

In December 1841, Lord Hugo Pell-Charnley is in a terrible mess. The youngest son o
Published December 19th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Dances Long Forgotten, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dances Long Forgotten

Start your review of Dances Long Forgotten (Winsford Green, #1)
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Dances Long Forgotten wasn't even a blip on my radar until I started seeing this stream of 5-star reviews from my friends. I'm not a huge novella fan, so I was tempted to pass by this one, but I'm so happy I didn't. Dances Long Forgotten by Ruby Moone was lovely in every way.

I was leary of the fact that there are essentially 2+ couples in the story, but the author handled everything seamlessly. I was, admittedly, much more invested in Hugo's story, but I enjoyed the modern-day romance of James/
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
This is such a warm, romantic, magical book, it will leave your heart in tatters.

Dances Long Forgotten is about not one but three couples, although Hugo and Lyndon, whose story is set in 1841, take center stage.

At once friends and enemies, Hugo and Lyndon meet again a decade after their boarding school days. Hugo is in stupendous trouble and comes home for Christmas to beg favor of his oldest brother, Simon. Lyndon is a guest at the holiday gathering hosted by Hugo's sister, Jossy, and the men
Cadiva
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was an absolute delight. I love it when authors mix a modern day in with a historical to give me two love stories and that's just what Ruby Moone does here.

The first snippet gives us the latest Marquess of Winsford and his second-in-command who is about to break his heart by handing in his resignation when they hear the faint sounds of a waltz while in the Library.

James tells Dylan the story of his ancestor Hugo and it is this 1814 historical romance which makes up the majority of the book.
Kaje Harper
Feb 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
A fairly simple modern-day romance bookends the more intense and vivid historical story of Hugo and Lyndon, two men reaching for love in a far more dangerous time, when gay men faced ruin, prison and more for whom they loved. The historical romance has drama, pain, poignancy, and a sensual sweetness to it, and the modern frame leads us into and out of it neatly. The ghost/paranormal factor is a very light touch to bring the stories together.
Lelyana's Reviews
Jul 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Dances Long Forgotten is a heartwarming feel good historical romance. It started with a couple James and Dylan on 2014, who heard the music from the past.
This is my second book of this series, so I knew that Hugo and Lyndon already together and happy. Not complaining for the spoiler :)
This is a heartwarming romance, with a little shocking surprise at the end of the story (a good one, a happy one). I loved Hugo's relationship with his family, especially with Simon.
It's also a second chance betwe
⚣Michaelle⚣
The historical aspect took up most of the book, and it's a good thing since I liked the parts with Lyndon and Hugo best. Connecting it to the contemporary story by hearing the waltz was an interesting and innovative choice, but I would have been equally as happy with just the period romance.

And...yeah, even though we got the back-story for Winsford (also a trope I've rarely read in Historical MM Romance) and a bit of how he was (view spoiler)
☆☆☆~Bev's World of Books~☆☆☆
4.25 stars from me.

A much better read of Ruby's for me, mainly because the bulk of the story is centred on the historical pairing, Hugo and Lyndon and bookended by the modern day story featuring James, current Marquess of Winsford and Dylan, his no.2. I have to say I much prefer her historical writing to her modern-day stuff, even though this one, as usual, contained a few typos and errors.

There were unexpected familial revelations for Hugo, and a potential lover from the past who also had cause
JD Crittendon
Dec 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
A Dance Through Life & Love!

A lovely, soap opera-ish, historical-ish/contemporary-ish, Christmas romance between Lord Hugo & Lyndon/James & Dylan. Perfection! A must-read from one of my favorite authors.
Bookreader87(Amanda)
Love for all

An sweet read with happy endings for all involved. A historical romance and a new age romance all told in this one.

I enjoyed it.
Brooke
Ok now THIS is my kind of Christmas goo. So lovely and comforting but smith story a s surprise that I’m just really happy with the read.
Madhu MaBookYard -
Jul 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
My Rating : 4🌟
Kindle/ GRR/ July2020
#mabookyardchallengeJuly2020
Thank you so much GRR for the copy in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own and not influenced in any way.
This book has dual time-lines and we get to see the contrasts and difference between the two main characters in each of them. It's a generation gap timeline with a lot of witty banter, complex emotions and lovely characters!
I really liked the characters in the past setting. Lord Hugo and Lyndon had amazing ch
QuietlyKat
Jul 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Dances Long Forgotten was very sweet and delightfully unexpected. Ruby Moone is a new to me author so I really didn’t know what to expect going into this one. To say that I was pleasantly surprised would be an understatement. I really enjoyed this story and am eager to read more from this author.

KU but I will add that if I didn’t have KU, this is one that I’d buy without an ounce of regret.

4.5 stars.
Ro
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a story within a story. James, the current Marquis, must tell the story of Hugo and Lyndon to his own love, Dylan, in order for Dylan to understand how James feels about him. So we have the modern beginning and end sandwiching the historical story and that worked very well for me.

Hugo is the youngest of the Pell-Charnley family and he believes himself to be nothing spectacular. He had a terrible time at school, can’t do the one thing he really wants to with his life (own a bookstore) be
Caz
Dec 27, 2019 rated it liked it

Sweet and sexy Christmassy story with some interesting plot developments, but it felt a bit rushed. First I've read by this author, but I'll definitely be picking up more.
Tess
Jan 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Lena Grey
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“I don't want to hide. I want to slow dance with you again. I want to dance with you forever.” ~ Sarah Black, Border Roads

Winsford Abbey has been the home of the Pell-Charnley family for over two hundred years. James Pell-Charnley is the fifteenth Marquis of Winsford. He is in love with Dylan, his business partner, but has never acknowledged it. Although Dylan feels the same way, due to a rejection early in their acquaintance he assumes that their relationship is strictly business; he keeps his
Manfred
Sep 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
There are 2 couples in this story, one in the present and one from the past, whose story we learn. While James and Dylan meet in the library they hear classical music and James tells the story of his ancestor Hugo and his lover Lyndon. While we get to know Hugo and his family quite well, the present day couple remains pale, which makes the end a little less endearing.
Reading about 19th century England is often a little depressing, because life for gay men was full of pretending and hiding.
In thi
ButtonsMom2003
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, purchased, blog
What a beautiful love story!

I've been a fan of historical MM romance for several years and this one is a real gem. While this story is set at Christmastime, I think it would be a wonderful one to read at any time of the year. It's one of the best love stories I've read in a while.

It begins in 2014 with James telling Dylan a story about his family from long ago. It's a wonderfully complex story, with a few twists and surprises that I definitely didn't see coming. While this is a novella length bo
RjS
Dec 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this story. The framing device worked well as did the plot twists. I also hope Ruby writes more in this setting. I enjoy her historical Regency books very much.

(Also hoping she’ll return to her Christmas Curse AU too in time - that touch of paranormal was intriguing!)
Ann
This book was beautifully difficult to read. It's warm and lovely and then dark and rough and it took both extremes and everything in between to tell the stories both past and present.

I loved how the story and relationships evolved, it was a perfect historical.
Petronella Ford
Jul 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful

Just so charming and heart warming. Well written story with a couple of big surprises so more than just a simple romance. Throughly enjoyable
Shweta
Oh this was lovely!
Just the perfect fairytale romance!
Loved both the stories-Hugo and Lyndon ; Dylan and James.
Some good writing.
Recommend if you are looking for a short, sweet, comfort read.
Lillian Francis
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: filed
An absolutely delightful Christmas story.

Told solely from the POV of Hugo meant I felt each of the highs and lows as he was rocked by revelations and buoyed by realisations.

Ruby Moone has a deft touch with her historical writing that I really appreciate. The details are there but I never feel swamped by the weight of her research.

And the modern day bookends of the historical story set it off brilliantly.

I couldn't put it down. Highly recommended.
Mike
A bully’s blackmail so bittersweet

This is a rare romance where I was most interested in the plot and familial relationships rather than the romantic protagonists. The chemistry of the backstory of the main couple didn’t particularly sizzle for me, whereas the Regency and family setting hummed along nicely (even if a bit quick and thin).
Charlotte
At the beginning of this book, James Pell-Charnley has just closed up the estate. He finds Dylan in the Library. Dylan has been working for him for a very long time...and sadly... he said "No" the only time James asked if they could be more to one another. What awaits him that night isn't at all what he expects. Dylan says he is resigning. Just at that moment, the two men hear a mysterious waltz coming from somewhere in Winsford Abbey.

James then persuades Dylan that he needs to hear a secret sto
Alexandra Mack
Jul 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I have read very few historical fiction romance novels where the main character was gay or bisexual. Ruby Moone takes the typical historical romance tropes, and turns it into a romance between two male childhood friends, Lord Hugo and Lyndon Cross. I loved this book from beginning to end, but it is chock full of twists and turns!

Lord Hugo is being blackmailed. A man he owed over 1000 guineas to saw him in an alley in a rather compromising position with another man, and is threatening to ruin hi
Anita
Gamahuching!! One of the reasons I read and love historical MM romance is that it allows me to get immersed in the period, setting, ambiance and most importantly, the words! The turn of phrase. The odd wording for everyday things. Small clothes to define underwear. Gamahuching is one of those words. At any rate, I loved this book!! At first blush, I thought it was a harmless little Christmas book that starts out in 2014 and flashes back to 1814. Well back up the truck, because this was an emotio ...more
Mari  Cardenas
Dec 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.75 Stars

Hugo and Lyndon were both likable, even if both of them—mostly Lyndon, though—made some not so good decisions. I did want to shake some sense into Lyndon sometimes and frankly, the way Hugo kept going on and on about feeling guilty over what happened when they were in school, made me want to scream, but they seemed very well-suited for one another and were sweet and romantic and swoon-worthy.

I loved that Vincent, Hugo's brother, was so accepting of him and while I wasn't too sure about
Amy Dufera - Amy's MM Romance Reviews
Ruby Moone's Dances Long Forgotten is a wonderful historical romance.

This is the story of a family legend, taken place in the 1800s, as Hugo finds himself in trouble after being caught with a man.

This is a story of shame, doubts, suspicions, and always the danger of being caught. It's a story of confessions and protecting one's family. It's a story of many family secrets. And most importantly, it's a story of finding love, a family, and peace.

Seriously, I love this story of Hugo and Landon. And
Bo
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Everything As It Should Be--And More

While the first and last chapters are contemporary, this is a Regency MM romance with an extraordinarily surprising, sometimes shocking, but always beautiful story about two young men whose love for each other began early, was then rudely interrupted, and then revived in a sizzling and fraught filled manner.

You will not meet a character as endearing or sympathetic as Hugo, nor could you possibly imagine how his broken life and potentially tragic future could b
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Last Kiss
  • Restored (Enlightenment, #5)
  • Red Heir (Adventures in Aguillon #1)
  • His Lordship's Secret (His Lordship’s Mysteries #1)
  • King's Man (Outlawed #1)
  • Honeytrap
  • Billy & The Beast (Ever After, New York, #3)
  • Merry Cherry Christmas
  • Deven and the Dragon
  • Introducing Mr. Winterbourne (Winterbourne, #1)
  • The Quiet House (Black and Blue, #2)
  • Mr. Winterbourne's Christmas (Winterbourne, #2)
  • Merry Measure
  • Just a Little Wickedness (The Brotherhood #1)
  • The Gentle Art of Fortune Hunting
  • The Stopping Place
  • Down Low (Down Home #1)
Biography
My name is Ruby Moone and I love books. All kinds of books. My weakness is for romance, and that can be any kind, but I am particularly fond of historical and paranormal. I decided to write gay romance after reading some fantastic books and falling in love with the genre, so am really thrilled to have my work published here. The day job takes up a lot of my time, but every other spare mom

Winsford Green (2 books)
  • People Like Us (Winsford Green #2)

News & Interviews