Start by marking “The Stranger's Wife (Detective Dan Riley, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Stranger's Wife (Detective Dan Riley, #3)

The Stranger's Wife

(Detective Dan Riley #3)

Beth and Cath are leaving their husbands.

This is a story about two very different women.

One is wealthy and having an affair with a man who gives her the kind of love that her cold, detached husband does not.

One is living hand to mouth, suffering at the hands of a violent partner who would rather see her dead than leave him.

You may think you know these women alread
Published January 16th 2020 by Bookouture (first published January 13th 2020)

To ask other readers questions about The Stranger's Wife, please sign up.
Kristen Johnson Nope! I didn’t realize this was part of a series until the end, but I really enjoyed the story!

Start your review of The Stranger's Wife (Detective Dan Riley, #3)
Maureen
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
*4.5 stars *

As psychological thrillers go, this is a fine example of how to do it right. Third in the Detective Dan Riley series, this is easily read as a stand-alone.

Two main protagonists - the first one, Beth, is very wealthy, yet she’s locked in a loveless marriage, but she’s also conducting an affair with local landscape gardener, Nick, a kind and loving man, the complete opposite to husband Evan.

Our second protagonist, Cath, is living in utter poverty, with a physically violent, and mentall
Sumit RK
Jan 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Stranger's Wife is the third book in the Detective Dan Riley series but this can be easily read as a stand-alone. As far as a domestic thriller goes, this book gets it just right. With an engrossing storyline, some compelling characters and a clever ending, this is one of the well-written thrillers out there.

This is a story about two very different women, Beth and Cath. Beth is wealthy and having an affair with a man who gives her the kind of love that her cold, detached husband does not. C
Berit☀️✨
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
A Fait Accompli!

Anna Lou Weatherly brilliantly weaves together a psychological thriller and a police procedural. A tense page turner filled with well developed characters and a riveting storyline. This is the third book in the Detective Dan Riley series, but it can absolutely be read as a standalone. Two women from completely different backgrounds. Beth lives in a wealthy neighborhood with her adorable daughter Lily and her distant and deranged husband Evan. Cath’s circumstances are quite d
Ceecee
Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
I’ve found a new lead detective I like in Dan Riley! I’ve not read this series before ( it’s perfectly possible to read as a stand-alone) and had seen such good reviews I was intrigued and happily dove in!! Beth Lawler is in a loveless marriage to cold, passionless and emotionally stunted Evan. He provides well for her and their daughter Lily but that’s the extent of the relationship. Then she meets Nick Wainwright and wham, she falls in love. The second female protagonist is Cath who is a punch ...more
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: Something in the garden suddenly catches Beth's eye, on the back lawn. At first she thinks it's maybe something the builders have left; they're having a swimming pool dug out at the moment and the garden is in a state of disarray, filled with equipment and tools.

She pushes her face closer to the glass and squints. Instinctively, she opens the sliding doors and goes outside. She strides across the lawn with urgency, still in her socks. It's drizzling heavily, the kind of rain that gets
NZLisaM
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
From the 'eerie' opening to the 'gasp aloud' last sentence I was utterly and totally focused.

June, 2018 – Beth Lawler arrives home to find her four-year-old daughter alone in the house, napping upstairs, her nanny nowhere to be found. Marta's car is still in the driveway, handbag on the table, but her cell phone, and items of clothing are missing. Did the young women, who's always been 100% reliable, leave of her own accord, or is there something more sinister at play?

October, 2018 – Detective D
Mandy White (mandylovestoread)
Thank you Anna-Lou Weatherley for The Strangers Wife. When I picked this up I was starting to think I was having a reading slump as my previous 2 kindle reads had not been great and my current audio book isn't grabbing me either. The Strangers Wife has broken the drought in a big way - fantastic and addictive! I would have read this a lot quicker if it hadn't been for Christmas and a lot less reading on my part. But my goodness, this book is good!!

While this is book 3 to feature Dan Riley it can
Louise Wilson
Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Detective Dan Riley #3

This is a story about two women who have different backgrounds. Beth is in a loveless marriage while Cath is in an abusive relationship. Both women would like to escape their situations. The story begins with the disappearance of Beth's Nanny. It then moves on to Beth and Cath's stories giving us the reasons why these women desperately wanted to leave their husbands.

The story is told from Cath, Beth and Dan's points of view. My heart went out to both women who were controll
Mark
Dec 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another really good psychological thriller mingling well with police procedural thanks to ‘Dan’ who is back

Firstly I really like Dan, no flies on him, he loves his police work and takes it seriously but without being pompous or heavy handed, he has no sides to him and he really is one of the ‘good guys’, he does have a personal life that comes into the story but doesn’t overpower it or take over from the main tale

So that’s Dan, the policeman

Now meet Beth and Cath
Both women with troubled lives, b
Bharath
Feb 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is my first book by the author. It has a decent story and good pace. A story about two women – Beth and Cath who are struggling with marital issues, and the stories converge well at the end.

Beth is married to Evan who is wealthy, but there seems to be little else to the marriage. She wants to move in with Nick, but it is not going to be easy and there is her young daughter Lily to consider. Cath is married to Saul, who is addicted to drugs and indulges in violent abuse. The scenes describin
Melanie (mells_view)
Jan 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Fear was a governess most people did not understand, not really. It muddles your mind. No one understands anything until they have truly lived it.

3.5

This was my first read from Anna Lou Weatherley. I didn’t realize that this book was number three in the Detective Dan Riley series, but it was fine because although some characters remain the same, there isn’t really an ongoing story. At least I didn’t pick up on one as I read The Stranger’s Wife. Which was a pretty twisted tale. I don’t want to sa
Monnie
Dec 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
When I started this book, I didn't realize it's the third in a series featuring Detective Dan Riley. And by the time I finished, I was bummed that I haven't read the other two. That's not because this one doesn't stand alone - it does just fine on that score, thank the author very much - but rather because I really like the character. Oh well - now I'm looking forward to reading the next one.

The story follows two abused women; Beth's suffering is largely psychological, bestowed by her cold, unca
Gloria Arthur
Jan 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Stranger's Wife was a gripping, fast paced psychological thriller, absolutely the kind I’m drawn to. It’s one of those books you want to race through to the end as it just hooks you in!

The Strangers Wife is a story about two very different yet similar women.

BETH is living the rich life but she’s in an unhappy and loveless marriage to Evan. They have a beautiful four-year old daughter Lily who is adored. Beth’s having an affair with Nick who she is in love with. The story opens with Beth re
Natalie M
Not quite 4-stars but still an enjoyable psychological read/listen.

The downside first - the link between the stories of Beth and Cath, seemed forced and at times unbelievable. It did feel like a novel about Beth with everyone else being added to make the storyline work. Detective Dan Riley, whom I thoroughly enjoyed in the first two books in the series -where he had a significant role, seemed a little marginalised through the main part of this plot.

On the upside, it is a very well written book a
Sue
THE STRANGER’S WIFE is the third book in the Detective Dan Riley Crime Thriller Series by author Anna-Lou Weatherley. Even though this is the third book in the Detective Dan Riley series, this is easily read as a stand-alone. After really enjoying the first two books, I was anxious to start the third book in the series; The Stranger’s Wife…and again another winner! I was not disappointed! I loved it! This book will clutch you right from the beginning until the last page.

The Three books in the s
Shalini
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
There was a saying - Marriages are made in heaven. Are they? Are they really? After reading this book with the fantastic cover and reading the plot emerging from a dark mind like Anna Lou Weatherley, you wouldn't think so... Nah... No ways..

2 women Beth and Cath, both in a lousy marriage, met on a train, and found similar things in their lives and things happened. And don't even think the movie you were thinking... 😂 😂

My second book by this author, I was so happy that the book went in the same d
ʚϊɞ Shelley's ʚϊɞ Book Nook

4.5 Stars

(view spoiler)

He wasn’t born a monster, monsters are made.

When I requested this on NetGalley I didn't realize it was the third book in a series. No worries though as it reads great as a stand alone. I enjoyed it so much I am looking forward to reading the first two books and am hoping for more from Detective Dan Riley. That is saying a lot from me as I do not usually go for serial books.

The au
Melike
Jan 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
In the Stranger’s Wife, we meet Beth and Cath, two women who are suffering at the hands of their violent, abusive and psychopathic husbands. Although they lead very different lives and don’t know each other, their paths will cross in a perfect fait accompli. Will these two women be able to get away from their abusive husbands and live without fear of their lives again?

The book was a page-turner for me even though I was able to see the twists coming. It didn’t take away one bit from how much I e
Brandy
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
“He was the stranger she married; a man she never really knew.”

Holy freaking sheep shit, Batman!! Jezzzy petes that was one fun ride on the crazy train. Wow, Weatherlery hits the ball out of the park with this one! She makes you really think hard with regards to just how well can you really ever know someone?

The Stranger’s Wife gives crazy a whole new meaning. Yes my friends, as you read, you think you’ve reached the bottom of the crazy barrel but then Weatherlery, hits you with a hidden underg
Linda Strong

Two women are poles apart in their lives. One is extremely wealthy, has everything anyone could want. The one thing she lacks is a loving husband, so she has an affair. The other woman is living in near-poverty with an abusive husband.

These women are destined to meet and when they do, they find they have a lot in common... and their lives will forever change.

Although well written, this plot has been done again and again over the years. It seemed to drag in places, maybe because I knew what was c
Denise
Jan 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
"The heart wants what the heart wants."

This third installment in the series featuring DI Dan Riley blends domestic drama with police procedural to create a satisfying mystery novel. A crime thriller that touches on many different issues and introduces some interesting characters has a familiar plot but unique pacing. I read it in a single sitting over a couple of hours and it kept me fully engaged throughout.

Two different women suffering at the hands and antics of their husbands who are abusive
Stephanie
Jan 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you Ann-Lou Weatherley and Netgalley for this book!
Before I give my review, I think it's important that this is a standalone book and the 2 Detective Dan Riley novels that come before aren't needed for this story to make sense.

I've been in the mood for thrillers and this book hit the spot for sure. There are a few parts that I saw coming (I chalk that up to being an avid reader) for the most part, I was kept on the edge of my seat, dying to know what was happening next.

Beth and Catherin
Vikkie
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I didn’t realise this book was part of a series, I’m now desperate to read more by this author. I think I’ve been in a bit of a reading slump, my last two reads have been a little boring and left me feeling a little deflated.
This however, grabbed my attention pulled me into the book and made it utterly impossible to put down. This is another new author to me which always makes me a little anxious but I’m eagerly heading to look for other books by this author.
This is one of those psychological th
Robyn
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Stranger’s Wife by Anna-Lou Weatherley is the third book in the Detective Dan Riley series. Even though this is part of a series, it can still be read as a standalone. To be honest, I never even knew it was part of a series until AFTER finishing the book. Now, I am going to have to pick up the first two books as this story was AMAZING!

I do admit the synopsis of the book really doesn’t say much and kind of leaves you in the dark for the most part. Needless to say, I was rather intrigued and h
Hanlie
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
WOW! What a brilliant domestic thriller! I kept wanting to read faster and faster and at one point I got so upset I felt like strangling something or someone!

"He wasn't born a monster......monsters are made."

June 2018 - Beth Lawler comes home to find her nanny/best friend missing and her daughter sleeping. Marta would never have left Lily on her own with the baby monitor turned off and the sliding door wide open. Beth calls the police as well as her husband. She knows she will have to tell the
Julie Lacey
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a great read that had me hooked throughout.
I loved the way we got to know Beth and Cath through chapters a year apart and how this all came to a head.
Beth leaves her husband as their marriage has become stale but Evan doesn’t take it well. He makes her life a misery and pushes her too far.
Cath is in an abusive relationship and after a really nasty attack she loses her baby and her partner has no sympathy. All he cares about are drugs and she reaches her limit.
The two women meet on a
Diane Merritt
Jan 16, 2020 rated it liked it
Didn't realize this was one In a series.
Was overall an ok read, none of the characters really drew me in. Felt myself waiting to just be finished with this.
Won't be reading anymore in the series if there is any more
Betty
Dec 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Despite my best efforts, once in a while I end up with a book that (unbeknownst to me) is part of a series. Such was the case with The Stranger's Wife. Neither the book summary nor the cover gives any indication of it, but this is the third book in the Detective Dan Riley series. I wish I'd known that before I started reading it. Even though this book seems to have more of a standalone feel, I still know things I wouldn't have known if I'd read the previous books first—which is precisely why I t ...more
Bridget
Anna-Lou Weatherley writes a hugely engrossing and entertaining, gripping drama that contains issues of revenge, abuse, lies, loss and grief.

Even though The Stranger's Wife is part of a series featuring Detective Dan Riley and his partner-in-crime DS Lucy Davis, the focus of the story is very much on Beth Lawler and Catherine “Cath” Patterson.

Beth and Cath are two very different women but share one thing in common; they are both in relationships with men from whom they wish to be free. Told thro
Deanna Walker
Jan 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
It’s really, really good book! Absolutely loved the series!

At first, I read the halfway, so I keep thinking that they’re twins or not in the book so I don’t think that they both twins or any family related at all..they both had a different scenarios of their husbands..One of them is gone but don’t know where she is hmmm? Poor Lily, she’s being brainwashed by her husband Evan and it’s terrible things that he did to every woman and even his own mother!

Looking forward to read more book series soon.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• The Man She Married
  • The Last Sister (Columbia River, #1)
  • Nine Elms (Kate Marshall, #1)
  • The New Husband
  • The Night Caller (Detective Carrie Flynn, #1)
  • Her Last Whisper (Detective Katie Scott, #2)
  • A Cold Trail (Tracy Crosswhite, #7)
  • Keep Him Close
  • Dear Edward
  • A Minute to Midnight (Atlee Pine, #2)
  • Perfect Kill (D.I. Callanach, #6)
  • The Trip
  • The Italian Cure
  • The Wife and the Widow
  • Eight Perfect Murders
  • Woman on the Edge
  • If I Never Met You
  • Of Mice and Minestrone: Hap and Leonard, The Early Years

Detective Dan Riley (4 books)
  • Black Heart (Detective Dan Riley, #1)
  • The Couple on Cedar Close (Detective Dan Riley, #2)
  • The Woman Inside (Detective Dan Riley #4)

News & Interviews

“Yes. I am. I’m sorry, Evan; please forgive me. But we’re both to blame for…’ She stops herself short, doesn’t want to sound like she’s trying to make him responsible for her actions. She knows she’ll just have to wear it. ‘I know I shouldn’t have done this; I know it was wrong, but I don’t want to live a lie, and I don’t want you to, either. You deserve honesty; we both deserve to be happy – everyone does, don’t they?” 0 likes
“sill” 0 likes