Start by marking “Ink & Arrows” as Want to Read:
Ink & Arrows

Ink & Arrows

An artist who inks magical tattoos....
A prince searching for power..
Published January 25th 2020

To ask other readers questions about Ink & Arrows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ink & Arrows

Start your review of Ink & Arrows
Inkslinger
Jan 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Ink & Arrows by Shruthi Viswanathan

ARC provided by NetGalley and Shruthi Viswanathan. All opinions are mine and freely given.

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Facebook

"You can ease anger with revenge, but you can't ease the emptiness with anything."

01-30: 'Ink & Arrows' is one of those titles that just grabs your heart with both hands, unapologetically, right at the start of the story and then never lets go.

It's no exaggeration to say I loved, LOVED this story, the richness of the main character and her romantic interest to
K.S. Marsden
Jan 16, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
A girl from the Suveri tribe, who are feared for their magic, is bound together with the future emperor.

I received a free copy from Netgalley, in exchange for an honest review.

Rea is all alone, having parted from her tribe so her father could gather more ingredients for the Suveri's magical tattoos. Unfortunately, her father is killed, leaving Rea in a pit of despair. In her depression, she has switched off from the outside world, and hasn't the energy to do even basic things.

Sebastyen is the
Brandy Klocko
Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to the author for an advance Ebook copy!

I really enjoyed this. The writing was super clear and nicely developed for a shorter story. I loved the atmosphere the author created and the culture she brought into Rea's character. The meaning and importance behind the tattooing was such a creative aspect to the book. I'm definitely keeping my eye out for more things to come from this author!
Sasha Clinton
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5 Stars!
This book stole my heart. Deep, complex characters, fantastic world building, an amazing enemies-to-lovers slow-burn romance, and beautiful writing. Must read!

Received an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Laura Young
Jan 21, 2020 rated it liked it
BOOK REVIEW
Thank you to @netgalley & @shruthi.viswanathan for my ARC of Ink & Arrows.
..........................................
This is a short novel about forbidden love, magic and acceptance. Although it was short the story had a nice flow and was well written. I liked the characters and the overall plot. It could have been longer and more detailed but it was a lovely way to spend a couple of hours.
..........................................
Anne Monteith
Jan 27, 2020 rated it liked it
This is a very short novel and if I had known that before I began reading it, I would not have selected this novella. There are two things I hate in any book; insta-love and hate that ends up as love, both are so trite and have been over-done.

Sebastyen releases Rea from prison in return for help in learning about her tribe’s magical tattoos. Rea’s tribe has always been shunned by others for their tattoos and magical abilities. Sebastyen is the eldest son and warlord of the emperor who have
Ixxati
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was ok
Ink & Arrows. I was expecting to read more bout Rea's ability and her tattoos but the author focused more on a predictable romance. The author skip few months for a few times and I feel lost. I don't get what happen within that time span. This book need more details.
The ending felt pretty rushed. Btw I love the cover! Damn pretty

Thank you netgalley and publisher for this arc!

BookSteff
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was ok
Ink & Arrows follows the story of Rea, and Sebastyn. Rea is part of a culture in which they tattoo themselves for art but with the art can also come magical enchantment, and from that enhancement. Her tribe/ people are outsiders, and that is the way she expects it to remain. Sebastyn is an archduke, the emperors heir, and the complete opposite from Rea in all aspects but one; he too lives a lonely life filled with sadness. Ink & Arrows follows what happens when their paths collide.

So as
This_Ginger_Loves_Books (Naomi)
When reading the description of this book I was truly excited about it. It sounded like it could be a very promising Fantasy and unfortunately it did not live up to my expectations.

Honestly? I was bored out of my brains.

The description of the book leads us to believe we are going to learn all about Rea’s ability to create magically imbued tattoos, the story behind her tribe and the history of those magical tattoos, but that never actually happens. It’s glossed over because the author chooses
Destiny Bridwell
Feb 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book for a fair and honest review. I am sure I was ready for this book. It grabbed onto me from the very beginning. I love Rea, she is strong and bold that I wanted to see her get what she wanted. When she means the prince and warrior, Sebastyen, it was intense. It was intense to see if they would end up together or even survive. When I finished the book I wanted more since the book felt like it was just a smooth read. I went to see if the author had anything else. I ...more
Julie
Jan 10, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: netgalley
It's difficult for me to review books that I think would benefit from a good rewrite or solid editing. Very rarely will I choose to not finish a book, and I chose to read this in its entirety, so while I gave it a one star rating, I still thought it was worth reading through. I think one-star reviews should explain what could be done to improve the reader's experience, especially since it's due to be published only later this month. I remember reading Nirvana byJ.R. Stewart and writing a ...more
Jenn
Jan 05, 2020 rated it did not like it
Ink and Arrows by Shruthi Viswanathan

By the description, I was expecting a romance somewhere along the lines of Court Duel (Sherwood Smith) or Archangel (Sharon Shinn), where two people who don’t like each other very much fall in love. That was not the case.
The book starts with our female lead, Rea, locked in a dungeon and losing the will to live. We learn that she is a Suveri, one of a nomadic people who roam the land free as the wind, and who are only barely tolerated because of their ability
Liz (Quirky Cat)
Jan 30, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020-reads
I received a copy of Ink & Arrows through NetGalley in exchange for a fair and honest review.

Ink & Arrows is Shruthi Viswanathan’s debut novel. That stunning cover is what originally caught my attention here, but it was the description that made me curious enough to give this one a read. This is a world in which magic and tattoos merge into one.
Rea is a Suveri, and she is the one who makes the tattoos. The tattoos she makes can be either symbolic – or magical. Mourning the loss of her
Sara Zaninelli
Jan 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
“The star within the circle... signifies eternal love. It means, ‘I pluck the eternal miracle from the skies and give it to you.’”

This was a very fast but very intense read. Rea is an outcast but Sebastyén is immediately captured by her, because she is unique and has a very peculiar way to see life. She is able to create powerful and magic tattoos and, pretending to be interested in learning how to create them, he starts spending time with Rea and he prevents her from falling apart after her
Jeeza
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Look at this cover ! Isn’t it just beautiful?!

Story: Rea is a Suveri, part of a tribe that can create tattoos with devastating powers. Bitter after the death of her father at the hands of a cruel general, she tries to get revenge...only to fail at her mission and be saved by a mysterious stranger who demands to know the secrets of the Suveri's tattoos. Sebastyen is the heir to the throne and a warrior who has shed more blood than any other on the battlefield. Though he may be royalty, his life
Annette Jordan
My eye was initially drawn to the gorgeous cover of this book, the lush and striking palette caught my attention as I was scrolling. While romance is not my go to genre of choice , the premise outlined in the book description intrigued me and I decided to take a chance.
Ink and Arrows is the story of Rea and Sebastyen. Rea is a member of the outcast Suveri tribe, a nomadic people with the ability to create tattoos imbued with magical powers and protections. They are feared, shunned and
Faultsareus
Jan 28, 2020 rated it liked it
Thank you @netgalley for the ARC of this book.

This book is a short read and so it's quite fast paced. Hence it doesn't waste time but at ssme time it's missing out on details. There are so many things just mentioned in passing which actually have quite the influence on the characters and yet they are not elaborated. Like the fathers of both main characters, the brother, the starvation, the battles and the wars the hardships. I feel like there is a lot of backstory missing. This book is basically
Nicole Emerald Book Reviews  McCurdy
emerald book reviews

This book held so much potential but somewhere around the halfway mark it really fell apart and lost its way entirely. It was set up well enough. Readers were given two very different but intriguing protagonists, each with their flaws and quirks, although at times their personalities seemed rather stilted and stiff, their dialogue matching those traits. The world building was interesting, the lands and people and magic, but everything just did not flow as seamlessly as I
Anubha Ghoshal
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
How could I a person who ewww(s) and ugghh(s) at all those cheesy romances rate this one 5 star? I still wonder what's wrong with me or what's so right with this book ¿

This is a fantasy romance book, not just a fantasy book so you get into the book knowing there will come a time when you have to skip some lines to keep you sane, fortunately it happened quite later than expected. The book was rather very cute and sweet, it was like a prince charming story.

The cover of the book and the title of
Nicole
Jan 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a good and quick read. It brings together two people who are enemies, but over time, the hatred turns t tolerance, which turns to friendship, which turns to love. Rea, a Suveri, is able to draw tattoos that can be embedded with magic and give the wearer powerful abilities, but at the cost of the life force of the Suveri. Sebastyen is the archduke, the heir to the empire, who leads the armies into battle for his father who seems to want to conquer everything. Sebastyen wants peace and to ...more
Brit Andrews
Jan 29, 2020 rated it liked it
A short romance and a tale as old as time... poor outsider girl must decide if she should give up revenge for the love of a Prince Charming-Warrior type... they are from two very different worlds abs under normal circumstances would not know each other but of course the circumstances of him liberating her from a dungeon aren’t quiet normal...

Rea is a Suveri, they are nomadic gypsy-type people with the ability to weave magic into tattoos. They are outlasted from society and looked down upon by
Stephanie Panach
Jan 13, 2020 rated it liked it
I enjoyed a lot of things about this book. I thought the world building was very interesting and the parallel's between the world in the book and our own were on-point. There is an overarching theme related to racism - where the Suveri are ostracized for their tattoos but exploited for what people can gain from them. The Suveri seemed very similar to travelers/Gypsy culture in our world.

Rea was one heck of a strong person. Separated from her father by death, and her group by distance, she is
Nour Mazen
Jan 24, 2020 rated it liked it
*ARC provided by Netgalley in an exchange for an honest review*

It genuinely saddens me that this ended up to be a three star read. Because the book had SO much potential, and the world –if given the proper amount of time to be built– was fascinating and I really would've liked to see so much more of it.

One of the stars I took down because the book is only 127 pages and I DON'T understand why and it frustrates me. (Maybe the timeline was pretty long, somehow the book's timeline is over two
Rhiannon
Jan 09, 2020 rated it liked it
Thank-you to Netgalley for my copy of this book - I am not being compensated for this review.

Ink and Arrows follows Rea, a member of the traveling outcast Suveri, and Sebastyen, heir to the throne and a soldier through and through. Suveri are outcast due to their ability to embue tattoos with magic, some of which even have the ability to give the wearer immortality.

I was so excited for this book based on the description but I went in with far too high hopes.

The story jumps months at a time with
Carro Herdegen
Jan 01, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: kiss-the-book
Language: PG13 (12 swears, 0 “f”); Mature Content: R; Violence: PG
Rea, at age 21, is ready to accept imprisonment for the rest of her life after her failed attempt to take vengeance for her father’s death. She’s surprised both by the enemy, Sebestyén, who comes to save her and her impulsive action to live. Trading secrets of magic for wishes, Rea and Sebestyén find more than what they bargained for.
The premise is amazing, though the execution made the story feel more teasing and tantalizing than
Isabella
Jan 16, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs-read
Thank you NetGalley for the e-arc in exchange for a honest review

I give this 3 stars (however a lower three stars). I seem to not be the only one who went in with too high of expectations. I went in really excited but left feeling underwhelmed.

For me, it moved too quickly and didn't go into enough detail to capture my heart. The time frame went from month to month and stuff was happening in the background that we don't see but get filled in which doesn't have the same effect. I would have loved
CR
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
A fantastic tale about two enemies that came to love each other. I was super excited to read this one based on the description about Rea and her tattoos full of magic. Sadly there was more about Rea and Sebastian’s forbidden romance than Rea’s tattoos. We spend most of the book seeing the struggles of the main characters coming to terms with the fact that they love each other instead of hating each other. I would have loved to see more about the Suveri people and the tattoos but overall it was ...more
Stone_Assassin
Jan 24, 2020 rated it liked it
This was an unexpected surprise!
The characters were well developed and stayed true to themselves even as they grew throughout the story. The tattooing gave it a creative as well as unique twist. It was a subtle constant through the plot and I enjoyed that something simple could bring so much meaning.
It is always interesting to see two very different characters come together and form an enjoyable story.
Overall I did enjoy the book, I just felt as though things were rushed. I liked that I was
Danielle Bailleu
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was ok
The Suervi are a tribe that can create magical tattoos with devastating powers. Because of that, they are treated harshly and some even enslaved. Rea is trying to survive after the death of her father at a general's hands. Sebastyan, heir to the throne, stumbles upon Rea and makes a deal with her: she teaches him how to make the tattoos and he will grant her three wishes. Eventually Rea's hate will soften and could it turn into more?

This book has a good story line but not cohesive. There are
Melissa (honeybee.reads)
First off I want to thank @netgalley & the author for my advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.

The book cover is gorgeous and the synopsis sounded to promising this is what drew me into this short story.This was a good short story, I am kind of sad it didn't go further because honestly this book had a great concept. The magic with the tattoos was a very unique thing and I would've loved more. I understand it's a short story but there was so much potential for growth.

This was a

• Mageborn
  • In Restless Dreams
  • The Queen of Nothing (The Folk of the Air, #3)
  • Me Before You (Me Before You, #1)
  • Given
  • Havenfall (Havenfall, #1)
  • It Sounded Better in My Head
  • Lord of Druemarwin (Crown of Tolem, #2)
  • Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda (Simonverse, #1)
  • Masquerade at Middlecrest Abbey
  • Blood Heir (Blood Heir Trilogy, #1)
  • The Earl Not Taken (The Wallflowers of West Lane, #1)
  • Of Silver and Shadow