Start by marking “Mythical Me: Finding Freedom from Constant Comparison” as Want to Read:
Mythical Me: Finding Freedom from Constant Comparison

Mythical Me: Finding Freedom from Constant Comparison

Do you ever find yourself stuck in the comparison trap? Speaker and author Richella Parham knows what this feels like. "I couldn't break free from admiring one person's achievements, someone else's personality, another's skills, yet another's relationships. And don't get me started on how I looked at other people's appearances," she writes. "I was haunted by the admirable ...more
Published October 22nd 2019 by IVP Books

To ask other readers questions about Mythical Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mythical Me

Start your review of Mythical Me: Finding Freedom from Constant Comparison
Michele Morin
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When is the last time you walked into a room full of women and just fully enjoyed everyone?
The talkative and the more reticent?
The natural leader and the sweetheart with the gift of helps?
The carefully coiffed and manicured and the all-natural girl without a speck of makeup?
My natural tendency is to compare, contrast, and to find myself lacking. In a conversation with the natural leader, I feel fluffy and not very bright. Standing beside Nature Girl, I’m overdone, but listening to Mrs.
K.J. Ramsey
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mythical Me is easy to read and full of time-tested wisdom. Parham’s voice is relatable and kind while gently challenging the ways we treat ourselves as far less than the beloved, unique reflections of God we are. I particularly loved how she grounded her whole argument in God’s nature as a community of love, three particular persons in perfect union. Freedom from comparison isn’t found in our individuality but our relationship to one another as distinct-yet-connected bearers of God’s love.

Also,
Allie
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was the honest reflection on comparison that I needed. Richella is so wise and faithful, but was very open about her own struggles. Not only did she give inspiring encouragement, but also helpful challenges that I have kept and applied to my life. This is not a book you read, put down, and forget about. It sticks with you and I'm glad it has.
Dr Michelle
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a clinical neuropsychologist, one of the greatest issues I see among patients is that of comparison. We compare who we are, what we've done and what we want to those we know and those we aspire to be. But how much more peace we would have if we'd focus only on being who God designed us to be and what He says about us. Richella shares her own journey as she comes to realize she's created a mythical me, a woman she can never measure up to instead of the woman God created her to be and loves her ...more
Lori Neff
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a welcoming and honest voice! I've long struggled with comparison and perfectionism... though, I feel I've been able to release that more as I've gotten older, it's still pops up at the most inopportune times. Richella gets it and is passionate about pointing toward a way of freedom.
Jodi Grubbs
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book Mythical Me: Finding Freedom From Constant Comparison has helped me understand that the correct way we see God, helps us understand how we see ourselves and others.

Because we were made in the image of God, we are image bearers. And as image bearers, what we believe matters and determines our behaviors.
I love how the author brings the importance of the Trinity into this topic, reminding us that there is no subordination in the Trinity because they don't need it. God reveals himself to us
Maureen
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Have you, like me, ever struggled with comparing yourself to others? Does social media fuel your insecurity and lack of contentment? Do you ever think “If only I had that person’s figure, or job, or house, or talent, or faith, or...fill-in-the-blank?” Richella Parham understands first-hand what it’s like to live a life of comparison. In her new book, MYTHICAL ME, she shares her journey from comparison and insecurity to confidence and compassion. She skillfully weaves passages from Scripture and ...more
Janna Northrup
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was so happy to read Mythical Me since I've heard Richella Parham speak before and have followed her on social media for a while and knew she was a woman with a lot of wisdom and insight. This book hits the mark addressing issues that so many of us face (actually who doesn't) regarding how often we waste time comparing ourselves to others instead of 1. embracing who God made us to be, 2. embracing community, 3. living with vulnerability that comes with acceptance of both weaknesses and ...more
Robin
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In a social media world where we're tempted to compare our ordinary lives to the best moments of others, Mythical Me invites you to reconsider who you are in light of who God is. This is one of those important books that will help you break decades-long habits by unpacking the origin of comparison, how it can be beneficial (and not), and how you can find freedom by understanding your position in Christ. I can't recommend this highly enough...Richella is a thoughtful, engaging writer who builds a ...more
Sandi Rae
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Richella Parham shared such incredibel insight and personal struggles in her book, Mythical Me. I have compared myself to others since I was a little girl and it only got harder. Richella shared her own journeys of comparison and its effect upon her life. She also wrote of the power of bible verses and stories to help us combat our own battles of insecurity and comparison. Thank you Richella for helping us feel not so alone and to feel understood.
Shelly Wildman
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
For every woman who has struggled with comparison (and let’s face it, that’s all of us), there is hope. Richella Parham shares her life-long struggle with comparison and self-acceptance in a vulnerable yet hopeful way. This is not a self-help book—it’s a God-will-help-me book. Parham is a clear and careful theologian as, throughout the book, she points to Scripture as a way to transform our minds, to remind us who God is, and to encourage us to rest in His love for us.

Gretchen
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading this book. The author shares her personal struggles with comparisons throughout her life. This book flows as if she is next to you telling you her story over coffee. The book goes into different ways that we compare ourselves to others, how these comparisons hurt our relationships, and the truths God tells us. This is a great read if you are constantly comparing yourself with others.
Elissa Watts
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mythical Me is a refreshing escape from the pixel-crazed comparison trap called the Digital Era. Richella J Parham's thoughtful book is rooted in truth and vulnerability, something in short supply these days. She draws on the wisdom of many faithful people who've since moved on--Henri Nouwen, Eugene Peterson, Thomas a Kempis, C.S. Lewis and more--and shares both her personal struggle and her victory with candor and compassion. This is a book to read and share. Thank you, Richella.
Ronne Rock
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mythical Me isn't a book to be taken lightly. Richella shares with wisdom and uncanny honesty the dangers of comparison in a culture that thrives on it. But she doesn't stop there. She walks through the journey of letting go and rising up to embrace our God-given design. Mythical Me is the beginning of a conversation we should have with ourselves, our friends and family, our communities.

I received a copy of this book directly from the publisher.
Shelley Sisson
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Who doesn't compare themselves with the perfect other woman/momma, that Pinterest perfect craft, or those perfect children seen on social media? Richella Parham compared herself to a “mythical” perfect other woman. She discusses the problems that comparison creates and then the beauty of how God actually sees us. She offers practical suggestions in avoiding and overcoming the comparison trap.
Amanda
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"In our struggle with accepting ourselves, we've trained ourselves to be afraid of making mistakes."
I appreciated the kindhearted empathy and personal honesty of the author. She shares her own journey out of the comparison trap through deconstruction of the lies about others, ourselves, and God, and hands-on practical tips for how to retrain our thought processes.
Dorothy Greco
Super helpful book for any of us who struggle with comparison—meaning all of us! Richella vulnerably shares her personal experiences of comparing herself to others and how that deeply and adversely affected her life. The book explores the reasons behind our choices and then helps readers to realign ourselves to God's truth. It's a wise and liberating read. (Plus it has an awesome cover!)
Terri
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As one who falls into the comparison/perfectionism trap, this book spoke deeply to me. Rachella shares her story of the hard-fought wisdom she's gained, and provides powerful, practical ways to release of the crippling grip of comparison. Would be great to study in a small group. Highly recommmend!
Bronwyn Lea
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Firstly: this is just the BEST book cover. Brilliant!

But since we're not supposed to judge books by their covers, let me add that there is time-tested and accessible wisdom in this book which my own soul—buffeted as it is by seeing the shiny sides of every one else's life—desperately needs.
Judy
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mythical Me Richella Parham
Comparison creates unrealistic expectations, competition, jealousy. And destroys the true and beautiful portrait that God has created in each of us. Richella Parham in Mythical Me will help to set you free.
Cat
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed her book. I cried, laughs and was joyful with her. What a great reminder of how God makes all of us different. His work is good.
Arwen
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
- I received this book from the publisher. This review is based on a complimentary pre-release copy.

Have you ever read a book you liked so much that you could hardly review it? That’s Mythical Me, in my mind.

This book came to me at just the right time in my life and it delivered just the right wisdom.

Insightful, inspirational, and raw Richella delivers her wisdom from a personal struggle with comparison. Her battle with it really struck a chord with me. Her gentle way of moving you through the
Amanda
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don’t feel like I can do justice to “Mythical Me.” I got lost in this book several weeks ago, and finished it in one sitting (neglecting any household responsibilities along the way). Reading Richella’s thoughts on the topic of Comparison felt like we were sitting together on my sofa, drinking coffee and having a heartfelt conversation. Richella doesn’t shy away from sharing her own painful history of comparing herself to a distorted, unrealistic, mythical, composite woman. She thoughtfully ...more
Paula Skulina
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have followed Richella's blog for many years and when I learned that she was writing a book about comparison, I was eager to read it. Like Richella, I have struggled with comparing myself to others which many times left me feeling inadequate. Reading how Richella compared herself to a mythical composite woman sounded all too familiar to me and as I read I was encouraged by how Richella learned that there is no such thing and how she freed herself from the trap of comparison. If you struggle ...more
Victoria Askew
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
First, I'm not a big non-fiction girl. I like to read historical fiction about strong women and about far away places that sound exotic. But, with that said, this book is so worth reading because it will honestly change how you see yourself, how you see others, and the truth about it all when seen through God's eyes. I LOVED it!!

It took me a while to finish it because I would read sections over and over because they were so good and I could so totally relate. The heavy theology kicked in around
Ginger Hudock
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In Mythical Me, Richella Parham talks about the comparison problem she had. Parham created a “mythical” perfect other woman who consisted of the best traits she saw in other women and then compared herself to this. In the first part of the book the problems that are caused by unhealthy comparisons are laid out. The middle section discusses how God sees us and the final section gives suggestions as to how we can overcome the comparison trap.

I really found this book to be useful. I have
Nov 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Patham has written a quick read that is full of valuable and thoughtful discussion on the myth of perfection and the ills of comparison. A timely word for our culture, reminding us each the importance of identity in Christ and how to make our way in the world with that has the foundation.

And the cover! So good.
Stephanie Reeves
I have read a number of books on comparison, but this one by Richella Parham has a completely different feel to me. The focus on knowing who God is makes a huge difference. You really can't have an accurate view of yourself if you don't have an accurate view of God. Parham's book is easy to read and very insightful. I highly recommend it!
Patricia
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I could instantly relate when Richella Parham wrote that she grew up feeling “different” and developed a habit of comparing herself to others, always coming up short. The author shares many examples of times she felt insecure, less-than, or just plain lacking when she observed others around her.

If you’ve ever struggled with insecurity or comparing yourself to others—the “perfect” mom, the gorgeous friend, the accomplished family member—this book is a breath of fresh air. It helps point out the
Sherry Mitchell
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So beyond a self-help perspective, Mythical Me: Finding Freedom from Constant Comparison reminds us of the loving relationship we were created to have with our Heavanly Father.

Richella breaks down the myths our society and our selfishness have taught us to believe and returns us to the reality of our creation. We have been created uniquely by God and for specifically designed purposes. Our confidence should be found soley in His word. Recognition of the talents and gifts of others is not a sin;

• When You Love a Prodigal: 90 Days of Grace for the Wilderness
  • What Does Your Soul Love?: Eight Questions That Reveal God's Work in You
  • The Next Right Thing: A Simple, Soulful Practice for Making Life Decisions
  • In Want + Plenty: Waking Up to God's Provision in a Land of Longing
  • Write Better: A Lifelong Editor on Craft, Art, and Spirituality
  • The 40-Day Sugar Fast: Where Physical Detox Meets Spiritual Transformation
  • The Grumble-Free Year: Twelve Months, Eleven Family Members, and One Impossible Goal
  • A Life of Listening: Discerning God's Voice and Discovering Our Own
  • Sacred Endurance: Finding Grace and Strength for a Lasting Faith
  • Shades of Light
  • Resistance Women
  • Adorning the Dark: Thoughts on Community, Calling, and the Mystery of Making
Richella Parham is a writer, speaker, and the author of A Spiritual Formation Primer. She serves as vice-chair on the board of directors at Renovaré, and she is also the worship coordinator at The Gathering Church and a member of the Redbud Writers Guild. Richella lives in Durham, North Carolina, with her husband, Jack.