Start by marking “Watching from the Dark (DCI Jonah Sheens, #2)” as Want to Read:
Watching from the Dark (DCI Jonah Sheens, #2)

Watching from the Dark

(DCI Jonah Sheens #2)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  429 ratings  ·  178 reviews
One crime. One witness. One question . . . Why didnt he call the police?

When a vibrant young woman is murdered while on a video chat, a small-town detective wades into a circle of friends and lovers with dangerous secretsin the new novel from the acclaimed author of the enjoyably chilling* She Lies in Wait.

*The New York Times Book Review

Aidan Poole logs on to his laptop
Published February 25th 2020 by Random House

To ask other readers questions about Watching from the Dark, please sign up.
Gytha Lodge Sorry for the delay in replying :) It definitely should be, though readers are obviously much better placed to answer objectively! I was conscious of…moreSorry for the delay in replying :) It definitely should be, though readers are obviously much better placed to answer objectively! I was conscious of wanting to make sure the series could be picked up at any point, so I wrote it as a book you could read entirely by itself.

The police team have their own stories that are threaded through but I've tried to ensure you can pick these up easily too. (less)

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Watching from the Dark (DCI Jonah Sheens, #2)
Nilufer Ozmekik
Dec 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, its another fast and intriguing reading burned a lot of my grey cells. (Dunking my head in icy bucket to put down the fire) I have to admit I had a great time ( Even though my grey cells packed their bags and want to abandon my head forever)

The book is starting fast. Were quickly introduced (actually we are not! Correction: We just see a random guy name Aidan who sits in front of his computer and we are not sure if he is pervert or a normal human being! He may be soul twin of Joe Goldberg!
Paromjit
This the sequel to Gytha Lodge's DCI Jonah Sheens of the Hampshire Constabulary series, a sequel I was really keen to read after enjoying She Lies In Wait. This is a multilayered blend of psychological thriller and police procedural, and it has a intriguing and fabulous beginning. Aidan Poole is a lecturer, on his laptop late at night, on skype to his girlfriend, Zoe Swardadine, only she has made her way to have a bath. He is waiting, looking at her flat, when he hears someone enter the flat, go ...more
megs_bookrack
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs-read
**4.5-stars rounded up **

Watching From the Dark was everything I wanted it to be. Gytha Lodge, you have made me a happy girl.

No second book syndrome here!

Signing on to his standard 11 o'clock Skype date with his girlfriend, Zoe, Aidan Poole can tell right away something is off.

For one, Zoe isn't in front of the camera. He observes her, but then she goes into the bathroom and starts running a bath.

Anticipating something kinky may be in the works, he sits back, watches and waits.

Things take a
Liz
Feb 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This is the second in the Jonah Sheens series. I really enjoyed the first book, but it took me slightly longer to engage with this one. Aidan Poole is attempting to Skype with his girlfriend when he sees someone entering her apartment and then its apparent something violent happens off screen. He reports the incident but for some reason, doesnt give his name or contact info. Sure enough, shes been murdered. Will the police believe him? And why the hesitancy about giving his name?

Part of my
Sandy
So imagine this. Youre on the computer late one night, waiting for your girlfriend to appear on your Skype feed. You can see her empty living room & it sounds like shes in the bath. Suddenly, in the corner of the screen, you see the edge of her front door slowly open. Soft foot steps echo down the hallway. The next thing you hear is the sound of splashing water. Minutes later, you watch in horror as the front door quietly closes. Silence.

Aidan Poole doesnt have to imagine it. Hes left
MissBecka
Well that was delightful.
Loving this series and loving Gytha Lodge's style.
I am eager for more cases with these detectives!
Much love to NetGalley & Random House Publishing Group - Random House for my DRC.
Carolyn
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars. Gytha Lodge previously wrote She Lies In Wait, a meticulous police procedural which was one of my favourite books in 2019. I was thrilled to learn that there was a second book featuring the same team of police detectives. Watching From the Dark proves that her first intricately plotted, complex novel which detailed the work necessary in solving crimes was not beginners' luck and places her among the top authors of slow-burning British police procedural/ psychological thrillers.

The
Darinda
Feb 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Aidan is on Skype with his girlfriend Zoe when he hears the sounds of a struggle. He's concerned about Zoe, but his call to the police is cryptic. The police investigate and find Zoe has been killed. Their investigation leads to a unique group of people each connected to Zoe.

This is the second book in the DCI Jonah Sheens series, but Watching from the Dark can be read as a standalone. I've read the first book, and found this second book to be a little better. Both are good reads for fans of
Bridgett
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc
I didn't realize, upon requesting this ARC, that it was the second in a series of books.

I wish I had. Although I suppose you could consider this a stand-alone, the characters (those in the police force) weren't fleshed out at all. As I was reading, it felt as though I should know who all these people were, and their back stories; but I didn't. It was this big, huge hole that I couldn't fill because I hadn't read book one.

Beyond that, the writing had a quality which I found...floundering. The
Amy Imogene Reads

A man waits for his girlfriend to pick up his Skype call. Waiting for her on the webcam, he sees something in her apartment that he wasn't expecting to seeher murder.

Concept: ★★★★ 1/2
Characters: ★★★
Mystery(s)/Reveal(s): ★★★

Watching from the Dark comes out on February 25, 2020.

Watching From the Dark is the second novel in the British detective series centered on DCI Jonah Sheens and his police team, Hanson, Lightman, and O'Malley.

Aidan Poole is waiting for Zoe on Skype one night, and
Linda Strong
Aiden Poole is sitting with his laptop waiting to Skype with his sort-of girlfriend, Zoe. He's waiting for her to get out of the shower, when he's horrified to see that someone is in her apartment. Did she have company? Or is this an intruder?

He hears fighting coming from the bathroom ... and then there's silence ... utter silence. . He is desperate to find out if Zoe is okay. But then why is he so hesitant to call the police?

DCI Jonah Sheens and his team take the case. The phone call they
Nigel
Dec 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, arc
In brief - Decent enough read and very good in parts.

In full
I read and enjoyed Gytha Lodge's first book. While I wasn't blown away by it it was a decent crime read and I did like a couple of the characters in it. One them was DCI Jonah Sheens and this book finds him involved in another puzzling case. Aidan is on his computer late at night to call his girlfriend Zoe on Skye. He realises that there seems to be someone else in her flat and then hears a violent struggle taking place. It all goes
Liz Barnsley
Nov 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved Gytha Lodge's first novel and her second is just as compelling - we have the same detective team but as with the last book the story is mostly driven by the group dynamic of the characters caught up in a murder...

Zoe dies, watched in part from afar by someone with a lot to lose should he report it - from then on in we have a beautifully plotted and presented mystery with insightful twists and turns, an eclectic and absorbing set of darkly intriguing suspects leading towards an
Dave
Watching From the Dark, despite the bright colorful science-fiction-like cover, is a British police procedural. The investigation follows after an online video chat reveals what appears to be a murder in the background. Aidan thinks hell chat with Zoe, but he hears her in the bath, then the sound of someone quickly attacking her. Or at least he thinks she does.

It probably would have been more interesting if Aidan didnt know Zoe in real life. Because then youd have him trying to prove it was
Luvtoread
Mar 23, 2020 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Creepy, Eerie And Suspenseful!

Late in the evening Aiden Poole is on Skype impatiently waiting for his girlfriend to arrive when he hears her splashing in the bathtub and wonders why is she teasing him this way and then he sees a shadow across the room and a door quietly open yet still hears his girl in the bathroom. What's going on? Does she know she is not alone or did she invite a friend over to chat, or? It's very dark on the screen but now Aiden is hearing struggling sounds and the hairs on
Tasha
Jan 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book starts with a bang as we watch Aidan witness what he thinks is his girlfriend Zoe being murdered across a Skype conversation. But why does he delay contacting the police? And then is deliberately vague when he does? As the police team start investigating and looking into Zoes social circle you soon realise that this is a book where everyone has something to hide and its hard to spot the clues amongst the red herrings.

This is actually the second book in the DCI Jonah Sheen series
Janice Lombardo
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Superb! Zoe, an artist, is murdered in her bath. Aiden had been on-line waiting to face chat with Zoe. Instead, he witnesses a person coming in quietly and Zoe in distress. When Zoe is quiet, Aiden sees the person leave .but nothing to identify him/her. Aiden is afraid to alert the police - EVERYTHING would "come out" if he did. He calls the police about an hour later, reporting to the police yet not leaving his name. The following day his guilt at not reporting what he had heard and seen on his ...more
Dana
Mar 13, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review-copies
I was a fan of She Lies In Wait so HAD to get my hands on Watching From The Dark ...

Unfortunately I figured out the killer very early on in the story so the shock value just wasn't there for me. Regardless, I very much enjoyed this police procedural, the characters and the plot. I felt like everything wrapped up really well.

Huge thank you to NetGalley and Random House Publishing Group for my review copy.
Sheri
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Watching from the Dark has a great opening concept: a man witnessing - or rather, overhearing - the murder of his girlfriend via Skype. But why is Aidan Poole so reluctant to report his concerns about Zoe to the police? Hes clearly hiding something. But hes not the only one...

Jonah Sheens and his team, previously seen in the excellent She Lies in Wait, find theres a lot to unravel in the investigation of what happened to art student Zoe Swardadine. Her on-off relationship with Aidan, her friends
Shannon Dyer
Feb 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, mystery, 2020
Review to come at AAR.
Helen Callaghan
Feb 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
Watching from the Dark is the follow up to She Lies In Wait featuring DCI Jonah Sheens. I loved She Lies In Wait and Watching From The Dark does not disappoint!

In this book, Zoe, a promising young art student, turns up dead in her flat. Her secret boyfriend appears to have heard her being murdered via an open Skype channel. This leads Jonah and his team down a series of pathways that eventually result in a nailbiting showdown with the real killer.

There's a lovely immediacy and authenticity in
peggy
A really gripping start but unfortunately for me it never progressed. Her first book was a fantastic 5 star read and I was hoping for more of the same. For me there was too much back story and the police were incompetent and needed to be retrained and learn how to be proper detectives. This book did not grab me or hold my attention. Saying that I am sure other readers will enjoy it more just not for me. Just over 3 stars.
Thanks to Penguin UK and Michael Joseph and Netgalley for the ARC.
Kerry-louise Jones
Feb 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
Aidan Poole logs on to his laptop late at night to Skype his girlfriend, Zoe. To his horror, he realizes that there is someone else in her flat, and Aidan can only listen to the sounds of a violent struggle - and then the chilling sound of silence. Aidan is desperate to find out if Zoe is OK. So why doesn't he call the police?

The whole idea of this book fascinated me especially in this digital age where anyone can watch you in the comfort of your own home! I was intrigued to find out why her
Johnna Whetstone
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
4-5 stars!
Will I find the beginning to be very riveting and engrossing, I also had a hard time keeping all the characters separate and defined. I didnt realize until I had read some, that this was a follow up to to the authors last book, but I did enjoy it once I got all the characters down. I think that it was well written, chilling, thrilling, and shocking! Highly recommend to those who enjoy a good murder/mystery thriller!
Will make sure I buzz it up on all the different platforms!
Kat
Dec 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an excellent police procedural and although I hadnt read the first book in the series it in no way spoilt this one and in fact it can be read as a stand-alone in my opinion. The team of detectives led by DCI Jonah Sheens are plunged into a murder made to look like a suicide and from then on there are plenty twists and turns as the team struggle to find out who the perpetrator may be. I have to say it fooled me right to the end even though I read a lot of mystery thrillers.
The writing
Jen
Jan 16, 2020 rated it liked it
A fun, twisty, psychological thriller! It started off with a bang, lagged in the middle, then finished strong. The lag in the middle was a bummer, I was not invested and not keen to pick it up and continue reading. Im glad I did, as the conclusion was a fun and fast paced ride! I wish the author had filled in more backstory from book one, it was merely a mention. I enjoyed both books in this series and will look forward to the series continuing! 3.5 ⭐ Thank you to the publisher for the advance ...more
Jen
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If I'd read the blurb a little more closely, I may have deduced that this is the second book in a series. I didn't and it is, but that didn't stop me from thoroughly enjoying it and shouldn't stop anyone who hasn't read book one, She Lies In Wait, from enjoying it either. This book works perfectly well as a stand alone and while I may have known a little more about the central police team investigating the case, I wouldn't have learned more about the victim and her strange bunch of ...more
Rachel Calunan-Chiu
Jan 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
WOW. This book was such a great thriller I had a hard time putting it down. Starting from the first Chapter, it dove right into the story plot and for the next 31 chapters, had me guessing who in their right mind would kill such a sweet, love-strucked Zoe. As I was reading this, I felt like I knew her and i felt her pain. I felt how compassionate she was with her friends, putting their feelings above her own. I felt the love she had for Aidan, and how she fell for his lies over and over again- ...more
Katherine
Jan 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
Aidan logs onto Skype late at night to talk to his girlfriend Zoe and, to his horror, listens to the sounds of a violent struggle. But he doesn't immediately call the police. Once he does, they find Zoe dead in her apartment.

Watching from the Dark is multiple point of view, following Zoe, the suspects, and the police. There are two timelines, one present day and the other beginning over a year earlier from Zoes perspective as we get ever closer to the day of her death. Everyone plays fast and
Tracy Wood
Jan 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley-2020, 2020
It should have been the perfect murder; a quiet street late at night, a victim living alone, a perpetrator no one realised had a key, able to slip in and out unnoticed ... or were they? A laptop open on Zoe's desk meant her boyfriend, Aiden, already waiting for her on Skype while she took a bath, sees nothing but hears everything, what will he do?

DCI Jonah Sheens has a team he trusts, a workload which includes a complex blackmail case and a message about a murder which might or might not have
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Strangers
  • The Guest List
  • Our Little Cruelties
  • No Bad Deed
  • Dead Wrong (DC Maggie Jamieson #2)
  • The Silent House
  • The Burning Men
  • The Other People
  • Knock Knock (Detectives Lockhart and Green Book #1)
  • The Dutch House
  • In Plain Sight (Detective Clare Mackay Book 2)
  • Little White Lies
  • The House on the Lake
  • Liar Liar (DS Grace Allendale #3)
  • Keep Him Close
  • A Window Breaks
  • The Memory Wood
Gytha Lodge is a multi-award-winning playwright, novelist and writer for video games and screen. She is also a single parent who blogs about the ridiculousness of bringing up a mega-nerd small boy.

She has a profound addiction to tea, crosswords and awful puns. When not writing, she heads up a copywriting team at a global translation firm, where she generally tries to keep all the video-game

DCI Jonah Sheens (2 books)
  • She Lies in Wait (DCI Jonah Sheens, #1)