Start by marking “The Pet Project” as Want to Read:

My people collected--
(Captured.)
--all the bi-pedal inhabitants of a small blue planet in a galaxy that was quite a journey from our own star system.
Tender-skinned and intelligent, these new aliens make interesting pets. Fascinating, actually. And when the rest of the universe realizes this, everybody wants to own one.
Therefore, we need these new aliens to breed.
It’s
Published December 21st 2019

To ask other readers questions about The Pet Project, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pet Project

Start your review of The Pet Project
Bex (Beckie Bookworm)
This was just so weirdly wonderful and surprisingly addictive although got to say upon first starting this I wasn't really sure if this one was going to be quite my bag.
So this is was an unusual alien tale where the dominant conquering species The Cryptops have domesticated the Tender skins: Tenders for short (us Humans.)
So this is all told from a Cryptop doctor and scientists POV, he is the one overseeing the breeding programme to keep this fragile species from extinction and It was definitely
BAK
Dec 30, 2019 rated it did not like it
A dark, depressing and tortuous read. It’s a shame this author felt the need to go on trend and write a dark SFR. She normally writes much happier books, which I’ve enjoyed. This one was depressing.
Do not recommend. Hope she goes back to happier fleeing books.
Kristina
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
Fascinating

I can’t say much without ruining the experience, but just read it. I’m sure you’re checking out the synopsis, trying to decide, but you have to just read and experience this oddball, interesting, little story.
This was so odd and...slightly disturbing, yet at the same time fascinating and...sweetly hopeful, I guess, with a happy ending. I say happy ending in the context of humans kept as pets by aliens who don’t understand them, but find them adorable the way we find a dog or cat
Serena Buffaloe
Dec 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amanda Milo wrote it - therefore I Want it !!

Ok, I just finished this book . Did it have " bad " moments ??
But it was written from the view of an Observer. Would that be third person ???
Anywhoo, it wasn't what I was expecting, not at all.

In this short story we find several humans , one female and three makes . They are essentially " lab humans " , in a breeding program. The main character, a Alien ( from our POV ) . His name is Dr XAN' - Tay,~ , and he is very happy and proud to be
Amanda Perkins
Dec 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, quickie
A divergence from the genre Milo usually pens, The Pet Project is an interesting piece of fiction that leaves more questions than answers. But be aware: this is not a romance novel, at least not in the way we've come to expect them.

Even before reading her afterward thoughts, it's easy to see the idea for this piece came into being around the same time as Contaminated and Contagion. And you know what? I'm really digging these scientific male alien POVs. They're a hoot.

This is certainly a bit
T00zday
Kristi
Interesting story on what if humans were treated like not-fully sentient creatures like humans treat dolphins and various creatures on earth.

There is romance but only shown as witnessed by the alien scientist. I found it a fascinating read and was really rooting for everyone to have a happy life.
Rainbow_Unicorn
**Rainbow_Unicorn Reviews**

SPOILERS AHEAD

So this is a pretty fucked up plot, but boy it was awesome!!

People are called tenders; chicken tenders came to mind and it was hard to ignore. Anyway they are essentially prisoners to these aliens who obviously want them as pets.

We are basically reading about a scientists observations with breeding them and their behaviour. Some scenes are a bit confronting, but really added to the morbidity of the story. I was glued to my kindle the whole time and was
Tina
The Pet Project

Okay this was definitely a different book but I truly did like it. Beastly and Pet were very much in love and even though the perspective was from the doctor you could feel all the emotions with these characters. They came alive and caught your attention. The world building was very unique and fascinating. Ms. Milo thank you for being such an amazing author and bringing such a wonderful story across so well thought out and executed. I would recommend this book.
Alexandra G.
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Damn , that was weird. I'm weird because I enjoyed the hell out of this book.
It's just such an interesting take on aliens and pets and the bonds between people.

You would not believe how much I liked this book. It's a little disturbing when you think that this could happen if aliens would exist. And I'm pretty sure that's exactly how we would react in captivity.

Freaking loved the trivias at the end. And I find the author's mind and inspiration completely fascinating.

No regrets.
E.J. Frost
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: stellar-sfr
Tremendously clever and engaging

This book is unlike anything else I've read. A human petting zoo story from a Jane Goodall point of view. It's utterly engrossing!
Give this unique story a chance. You'll be glad you did.
Gina
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved it

I was nervous going into this one but have learned my lesson not to doubt!! Yet another 5 star for Ms Milo
Rasa Ievkalne
Jan 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
What would happen if we were to aliens as rats are to us? Kept in cages,bred to sell,sentience acknowledged but intellect not,experimented on,kept in a lab?

This book is told from the perspective of an alien who studies and loves his "pets" and while the idea may seem terrible, Amanda Milo in her own way manages to pull it off while letting the reader to like this alien too. Yes,it includes some very dark descriptions, some triggering scenes but overall it is a nice story.

Fair warning-HEA here
Moon Flower
Jan 15, 2020 rated it did not like it
Courtney Green
I Give this book a 5/5 Star Rating.

HEA(?): In My Eyes, Yes. Its a very Unique One! :D
Drama: 3/5
Suspense: 3.5/5
Heat: 3.5-4/5
Romance: This is a tricky one to answer, but 4.5/5
Dark: In My Eyes, Nope so No Dark Rating from me. But the concept itself may be, in other reader eyes.

No Spoilers.
Overall Concept: 5/5(!!!)
This is such a unique story and I’m soooooo in love with it! And I Will Always Remember This Book!
Some people will not like this storyline, but I love it! I Can’t Wait to read more Books
Tia
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Different but in a good way

Didn't know what I was getting into when picking up this book but it definitely was worth the read. Very well written had me engaged the whole time. This isn't a human alien romance book by any means. Mocumentary is the closest way I can think to describe it. It's all written from the aliens point of view who has no understanding of humans language or level of sentience; treating them more like we would a favored dog. Made me feel like I was part of the inside jokes
Vixen
Dec 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Surprised Enjoyment

Did appreciate the warnings so decided to try it out. It really was clever of the author to do it from the Alien’s point of view since it created distance to what was happening. But what was most important was the Alien does care if his charges are happy and healthy. He simply does not see humans as evolved but as highly intelligent animals and wants every comfort for them. It was very interesting seeing it from his POV and liked the epilogue and considered the story too short
Ben
Jan 03, 2020 rated it liked it
It was interesting and fun to read short story that has a great potential to become a proper book of fiction to sink your teeth into. (I completed the book in one morning reading), unfortunately it ended too soon for me, it ended like a predictable fairy tale story - "and they lived happily ever after" Hopefully the writer would consider developing these characters and their experiences on this strange alien planet with their Alien hosts into a fantastical futuristic adventure for the reader to ...more
Jordyn Kross
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, erotic, horror
This story is well-written, a lesson in POV, and kind of disturbing. Milo is a master of letting us see what the non-POV characters are feeling by showing us their behavior through the eyes of the POV character. I also appreciate the brilliant creative mind that can come up with this scenario. So the romance, I'm torn. Kind of? It's not with the POV. So, I'm categorizing this as erotic horror. Because as you read it, if you take the role of the humans or "tenders" in the story...well I'll leave ...more
Heather Neary-Willis
Dec 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
No alien on human, just FYI

I loved that in this book it’s purely a friendly interest in the mating couple and not in a relationship with Pet. It was heart warming reading his input on all that went on and how he made their lives a little better! Love love love pet! She’s funny without even her talking. I felt a little bad for Prime cause you could tell he didn’t want to do anything without Pet being on board. The whole book was a quick great read! Love this so much and the end story by the
Carly
Dec 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Something fresh in the alien world of Amanda Milo!The perspective of this story is interesting, seeing the breeding project from the doctors side.
I never know what to expect with each new release but I am always pleasantly surprised with how A.M. continues to pull out new worlds that are easy to fall into. This is a great one to read if you're in a book hangover or just need a quick read before bed.
IRIS
A new path traveled.

I found myself thinking and rehashing this book in my mind hours after I finished it. I enjoyed the read (duh it’s a Milo) but thinking that humans are pets in this world gets the mind whirling. The acceptance of their captivity probably got me the most but, if that is all they had ever knew, I can understand it. I would have liked to know the thoughts of Beastly and Pet and Prime but I guess we did.
Blue Rose
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amazing!

This was such a thought provoking story! I've read a lot of alien abduction stories (though no one can ever claim to have read them all), and this is the first one I've read from this unique perspective. I love finding out how things work and in another life I probably would have been a scientific researcher, but combining a research story and a romance like this was pure genius! I will definitely be reading more of her books.
Crystal
Dec 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Another one

Amanda Milo always has something good to read. This story was definitely different and intriguing. It gave me both sad and happy feels and that's all you can really ask for in a book. If I could give 3.5 I would! 4 is for rereads so if I ever read again I'll have to change my rating. A great book to read to try and finish that end of year reading goal before the new year that'll leave you satisfied and not like you cheated lol
Courtney ~ bookishcourtney
Jan 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was pretty short indeed, but a decent and interesting read. Told entirely from the doctor’s perspective, which feels different. I actually enjoyed the POV more than I thought I would. But, I’d also really liked to see the perspective of the other characters and a longer story. Overall, a fairly new take on the whole alien doctor - human experiment thing.

If Milo wrote more in this world, I’d definitely read it.
Maudi
Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow! Wow! Wow!

I am blown away by this book! I love how the author stayed true to the voice of the storyteller and didn’t intermingle different voices. We saw this book through the researcher’s eyes and it was amazing! The attention to detail really pulled you in and made you root for Pet and Beastly. I love the ending and how we get to see everyone’s journey. Highly recommend!!!
Mercy
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: rape, abuse, aliens
It's a short book, that's a given, it has an interesting plot and despite the heavy topics as abduction, rape and captivity the note of the writing is high, not just doom and gloom.
The whole story is told through the eyes of the alien abductor which can be fun but at some point, it got too tiresome for me. I would read the next books in this universe granted they are not told by a third person or too short.
Betty Johnson
Jan 01, 2020 rated it did not like it
Wow! "CUTE" Slavery...

The parallels I can draw between this story and slavery in the United States is mind-boggling! What was this author thinking? To frame such vile and sickening actions into a whimsical, light-hearted story is beyond me. This goes way beyond the 'earth damsel in distress rescued by big sexy alien' type of pseudo-slavery stories. Yuck!!!
Megan Dixon
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I wasn't sure what I was getting into reading this book, but it's taught me that I can always count on my favorite authors as I still really enjoyed it. Was quite a bit different from what I've come to expect from this author, but I loved Simmi from her Contagion book and this gave me really similar vibes.
Debbie Kilburn
Jan 01, 2020 rated it liked it
What a mess

Xan'-Tay inherited a pet program and a holy mess. The program is about breeding a group of semi sentient beings. The records from the previous keeper are a mess of box after box of unrecognized files. So, Xan'-Tay doesn't know anything how to proceed. So, he starts with the female he calls Pet.
« previous 1 3 next »

• A Wolvenk Holiday (A Women of Dor Nye Novella)
  • A Son for the Alien Warrior (Treasured by the Alien, #2)
  • Interstellar Human Petting Zoo (Possessive Aliens, #2)
  • When She's Married
  • Chosen By A Beast (Hearts Of Stone, #1)
  • Untamed Hunger (The Infinite City, # 3)
  • Our Pet (Ours, #1)
  • Penny's Protector (Icehome #10)
  • Our Treasure (Ours #3)
  • High Plains Cyborg (Cyborgs on Mars #0.5)
  • Crex (Captured by Aliens #2)
  • The Lion and the Mouse: Cosmic Fairy Tales
  • Veraza's Choice (Into The Dead Fall, #5)
  • Jackie and the Giant: Cosmic Fairy Tales
  • Rampion: Cosmic Fairy Tales
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • The Kraken's Heart (Alien Menagerie, #1)
  • Our Flower (Ours #2)