Start by marking “Always (The Lost Princesses, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Always (The Lost Princesses, #0.5)

Always

(The Lost Princesses #0.5)

A fierce elite guard. A loyal lady in waiting. They must work together to save three princesses from certain death.

On the verge of dying after giving birth to twins, the queen of Mercia pleads with Lady Felicia to save her infant daughters. With the castle overrun by King Ethelwulf's invading army, Lady Felicia vows to do whatever she can to take the newborn princesses and
Published August 13th 2019 by Northern Lights Press (first published August 2019)

Start your review of Always (The Lost Princesses, #0.5)
Heidi Robbins (Heidi Reads...)
This is a great novella for introducing us to the backstory of the three lost princesses in Jody Hedlund's exciting new YA series! The reader is thrust into the action which never slows down- danger is nipping at the heels of Lance and Felicia throughout the story which gives it a quick, suspenseful pace. The world-building is vivid and I felt like I got a good sense of the setting as well as the dynamic of the kingdom, its people, and its enemies. The author skillfully weaves in character devel ...more
Melissa Tagg
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I ADORED this novella! I can't say that I read a ton of novellas, but of the ones I have read, not many have felt this rich, romantic, and action-packed...and with such fully fleshed out characters, too! And Jody Hedlund perfectly sets up her new series--I can't wait to read more! Meanwhile, I'm going to go back and read her other YA series (the Noble Knights series) because how in the world have I not read them yet? :)
Deanne Patterson
Aug 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the first young adult novel I've read by this author and I can see I've been missing out. Geared toward teens, as an adult I enjoyed it a lot myself and I also enjoyed that it was a clean read.
This novella sets up the backstory for her new, The Lost Princesses series, which I look forward to reading and continuing the adventure!
Immaculate research from the author sets the story line in this medieval time line.
A true adventure fraught with danger will be yours while reading this exciting
Nicki Chapelway
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Words cannot express how excited I am for Jody Hedlund's new YA series. I absolutely adored her last one. And with this novella this series is already off to a great start.

This story has everything: adventure, romance, cute little babies, and sassy nuns. I must admit that I have not read a straight up romance for a while so it took some time for me to become readjusted to the genre. It was a little abrupt at first but it is a novella so that is a given. The detail was rich and the world building
Emma Rose
This was the sweetest, most enchanting novella I've ever read. There were times I wanted to laugh, to cry, to just close the book and throw it at the wall yelling "noooooo!!!" (I would never do that to a book😅)
I thought I had it all figured out, but it turned out I didn't! I just can't wait for the rest in the series now!
Melissa
Wowza! I was completely shocked how much I loved this. This is an amazing start to this series. I hope it is as good as this one was. So impressed with the writing and the composition of this short story. It had everything I love in a good adventure romance. This is a sweet romance with a bit of violence. This also has a very well done Christian element. It was so natural and peaceful. So happy I found these. On to the next!
Gretchen
Feb 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Now THIS is a 5 star novella! Novellas are so tricky, but Jody Hedlund has mastered writing a wonderfully crafted story into a shorter amount of pages.

I loved everything about this story- the adventure, the sweet knight/hero, the kind heroine, etc. I was never bored & there were more swoony moments in this novella than in other full length historical romances. 🤣 I loved the romance between the two characters and how it didn’t feel rushed like a lot of romances in novellas feel. They had great c
Carrie Schmidt (Reading is My SuperPower)
“Sometimes, when we think we’ve come to a dead end, we’ve arrived instead at God’s stepping stone on the way to bigger plans.”

Oh my heart. Y’all. This is “just” the prequel novella. But there’s nothing “just” about it… unless you count “just beautiful”, “just perfect”, “just ripped out my heart”, “just left me in a swoony little puddle”.

I was immediately immersed into this emotional, romantic, high-adventure story – right from the very first page – and I couldn’t put it down until the very end.
Beth Erin
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Full review on FaithfullyBookish.com

As much as I love Jody Hedlund’s stories, I initially borrowed this title not for myself but for my daughter. However, the aforementioned daughter offered to read part of the story aloud to me as I was driving and then I was hooked.

The young adult genre isn’t usually one I reach for and, as I said, I wasn’t exactly “sitting around with nothing to do” and yet I thoroughly enjoyed this story. I highly recommend Always to all fans of medieval fiction and I plan
Shalini
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A perfect prequel which told me what I needed to know about the backstory of the three sisters and how they were separated from their mother, hidden and protected by Lady Felicia and Lance.

The author Jody Hedlund is a masterful storyteller who painted a vivid picture, weaving in the story amidst the danger that surrounded the protagonists. Emotions rose in me at every page and action dodged my steps.

A novella which whetted my appetite for the book 1 in the series of The Lost Princesses.
Susan Snodgrass
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
'Sometimes, when we think we've come to a dead end, we've arrived instead at God's stepping-stone on the way to bigger plans.'

Tasked by the dying queen to keep her newborn twin daughters safe when the castle is overrun by an army, Lady Felicia fears for their lives. As she is packing to leave, she is confronted by Sir Lance, knight of the king's elite guard. Lance, too, has been tasked by the king to protect his twin newborns, including the 3 year old crown princess. Lance and Felicia have no tr
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
I've been anticipating this book and this new series by Jody Hedlund since I first heard about it! I was so anxious to get started. This novella really sets the stage for the following books. It's an in-depth look into the series of unfortunate events leading up to the lost princesses. Honestly, it was heartbreaking. Two countries are at war, there is death and destruction everywhere. King Ethelwulf is a brute and will stop at nothing to gain the victory, the throne and the treasure. What he do ...more
Lori
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book so much!! I stayed up all night even though I was still tired from my trip to Michigan!
The story was delightful and so many adventures!! I was kept on the edge of my seat and holding my breath to see what happens next!! Jody does have that effect on us.
That's what I love about her writings.
With God all things are possible. All we need to do is ask!!
Trouble is, a lot of people myself included think they can do it all on their own. At some point and time we're all going to need de
Toni Shiloh
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a great book! I have to start #1 immediately now.
Megan
O my! This novella is the stuff my dreams are made of! “Always” is the novella which is the prequel to Jody Hedlund’s new series entitled “The Lost Princesses.” So why did I love it so much? This fairy tale-esque story is set in a medieval-like time, has princesses and is full of adventure and budding romance! There is a daring escape amidst danger on every side. The story is fast-paced. I love that it is clean and it is a great book to give to teens that are looking for an amazing read (but it ...more
Rebecca
Aug 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
"In all the years I'd relied upon my own strength, I hadn't needed God's. Now I was coming to understand the truth of my father's claim that God's grace and presence shine the strongest in our humblest moments."

It was going to take a miracle. A member of the king's elite guard, Lance has just vowed to carry the dying king's infant daughters to safety, along with the keys to an ancient treasure. When he enters the queen's chambers, he discovers her majesty to have already passed from one life int
Haley S
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a super sweet book. Literally that is the main thing I can say about it. It was a perfect read when I was looking to just relax on a hot summer day.

This is a novella, meaning it is shorter than a novel but longer than a short story—so right in between! But it still made me want to turn the pages so fast. I didn’t want to stop reading. Jody has a way of pulling readers into the story, which makes the story come alive. I love it.

I cannot wait to read the next three books in this series. Li
Abbi
Aug 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
This little novella got started with a bigger bang than I anticipated and the story just kept moving right till the end! My heart was racing as Lance and Felicia fought to keep the princesses safe from those who chased them! I greatly admired the way they both thought nothing of sacrificing everything to protect the rightful heirs to the throne! I really liked both of their characters and enjoyed seeing their relationship develop.
Hedlund created a great story world and perfectly set up the books
Linda
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am a longtime fan of Author Jody Hedlund, and I can’t believe I had never read one of the books in her Young Adult genre. I realize after enjoying Always I have been missing some excellent reading. The author’s research into medieval times is meticulous and the descriptions were so real. A definite page-turner! I think it is suitable for both Young Adults as well as adults. It’s a good, clean romance and who doesn’t enjoy a story about princesses and strong, handsome knights in shining armor. ...more
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
I loved this introduction to the Lost Princesses. You know you are in for a good series when you can't put down the prequel! I really can't wait to see how the Princesses lives have turned out and how they will beat the evil that has taken over their kingdom.

This novella features Felicia, a lady in waiting to the Queen. She is to take the newborn twins and the heir to the throne to safety. She and one of the King's guards, Lance, take on a perilous journey to save the Princesses. The story was f
Malia Saldaña
Jun 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: good-books
This book was such a sweet, medieval novella. I enjoyed it very much. I can’t wait to see what happens in the rest of the series, and that cover is gorgeous.
Kav
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"Sometimes, when we think we've come to a dead end, we've arrived instead at God's stepping-stone on the way to bigger plans."

Stunning cover delivers exactly what it promises. Knights and ladies; dire danger and plenty of action. And sweet, chivalrous romance. What a spellbinding start to Jody Hedlund's Lost Princesses series. The author sets the stage for the three enchanting tales to come in this novella. But don't be fooled by the shorter length -- Always is chock-full of page-turning delight
Becky
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
Prequel novellas seem to be the "in" thing lately. Sometimes, these novellas are just a fun "extra" ... and other times, they're vital to the story. Always is definitely the latter, as it introduces the three Lost Princesses and explains how they came to be lost.

Always is the story of Lady Felicia and Lance, a member of the king's guard, who escape the castle with the three princesses once new king Ethelwulf overtakes the throne. They're reluctant to work together at first (especially Lance), bu
Trisha
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this fast-paced, exciting story!
Full review at: https://joyofreadingweb.wordpress.com...

From the very first page, until the last, I was blissfully along for the adventure of a lifetime. I couldn’t get enough of this story. I inhaled it like a hungry book dragon and absolutely loved every moment!

This story may be short, but it packs an impressive punch! Jody Hedlund has weaved a dynamic story with endearing characters that will have you holding your breath and rapidly turning pages for mo
Jessica Baker (A Baker's Perspective)
What an amazing start to a new series by Jody Hedlund! If you plan on reading The Lost Princesses series, you need to begin with this novella. There is so much backstory here that I know is going to be important when reading future installments. Not only that, but it's good! Hedlund provides a story that will keep you on your toes, surprise you, and toy with your emotions. I literally read this in one sitting because I could not put it down. You won't be able to either!

A series for any age, not
Kailey
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a book that you won’t want to put down! I couldn’t read it fast enough! The details were rich and kept me immersed in the story the entire time. I really liked that this book can be entertaining for young adults and adults. I just can’t wait for the rest of the series!

I was given a complimentary copy of this ebook from the author, but was not required to write a review. The thoughts and comments are my own.
Clara
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If the novella was this AMAZING imagine the full length novel 😍😍

Promising new series! Full of mystery, legends, adventure, romance - and I mean, true-loves-kiss-worthy romance! These characters have endeared to my heart and I can’t wait to catch up with them!
Camille
Always is a prequel novella for The Lost Princesses series, and it not only sets the stage for the stories about each of the lost princesses, but is a cute love story in its own right.

When an evil king takes over a kingdom, Felicia, a lady-in-waiting to the queen, and Lance, a guard to the king, risk everything to take the newborn twin princesses and the young heir to the throne to safety. During their adventure of outrunning the evil king’s men, the two enter a marriage of convenience and fall
English
Sep 02, 2019 rated it liked it
I decided to borrow this since I have a month left on my Kindle Unlimited subscription, and I decided to see what all the fuss was about.

I admit, I read all 5 of the books in the previous Medieval YA series by this author, I really could not get on with some of them. This series, I would say are set up as more Fantasy than the last series which some people seemed to think were actual Historical Fiction, a matter not helped by the dates given at the beginning and the use of actual of real place
Bess
Nov 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: borrowed
This one took a long time for me to finish. Not because it was difficult or boring. I had other commitments. I am glad I read this cute novel. It was so sweet that both gave of their supposed roles to join in life together!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Heart of a Royal (Daughters of Peverell, #1)
  • The Piper's Pursuit (Hagenheim, #10)
  • On Wings of Devotion (The Codebreakers, #2)
  • The Spice King (Hope and Glory, #1)
  • A Match for Emma (Mitchell's Crossroads, #3)
  • Storing Up Trouble (American Heiresses, #3)
  • Vying for the Viscount (Hearts on the Heath)
  • Diamond in the Rough (American Heiresses, #2)
  • At Love's Command (Hanger's Horsemen, #1)
  • A Gilded Lady (Hope and Glory, #2)
  • Christmas at Whitefriars
  • A Portrait of Loyalty (The Codebreakers, #3)
  • A Clever Alliance (Regency Brides: A Promise of Love, #1)
  • A Pursuit of Home (Haven Manor, #3)
  • The Peasant's Dream (Hagenheim, #11)
  • The Earl's Mistletoe Match (Belles of Christmas, #3)
  • Serving Up Love: A Harvey House Brides Collection
  • The House at the End of the Moor
Jody Hedlund is the author of over thirty historicals for both adults and teens and is the winner of numerous awards including the Christy, Carol, and Christian Book Award.

Jody lives in central Michigan with her husband, five busy children, and five spoiled cats. Although Jody prefers to experience daring and dangerous adventures through her characters rather than in real life, she’s learned that

The Lost Princesses (3 books)
  • Evermore (The Lost Princesses, #1)
  • Foremost (The Lost Princesses, #2)
  • Hereafter (The Lost Princesses, #3)

News & Interviews

“Sometimes, when we think we've come to a dead end, we've arrived instead at God's stepping-stone on the way to bigger plans.” 5 likes
“Now I was coming to understand the truth of my father’s claim that God’s grace and presence shine the strongest in our humblest moments.” 2 likes