Start by marking “My Sister Marilyn: A Memoir of Marilyn Monroe” as Want to Read:
My Sister Marilyn: A Memoir of Marilyn Monroe

My Sister Marilyn: A Memoir of Marilyn Monroe

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  391 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Few people know that Marilyn Monroe had a sister, and even fewer know the story of their relationship during Marilyn's rise from obscurity to fame. In MY SISTER MARILYN, Berniece Baker Miracle, working with her daughter Mona Rae, tells the story she has kept private for fifty years. The book includes more than forty photographs of Marilyn and her family and friends. "This ...more
Published January 6th 1994 by Algonquin Books

To ask other readers questions about My Sister Marilyn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Sister Marilyn

Louise
Mar 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The picture on the cover is worth a thousand words. The two women could be fraternal twins. They look strikingly modern despite their 1950's bikinis and hair dos. Your eye goes right to Marilyn. Her head is up. She is striving to be taller, as she actually is, on a less than level beach. Marilyn looks up and right at you through the camera. Bernice tilts her head slightly down, shyly looking slightly off camera. Both are fresh and young. They appear open and naive and represent the energy, innoc ...more
Sharon
Aug 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography
What a charming book about Marilyn Monroe by someone who should know...her very own sister. I haven't read any other books on Marilyn but this book intrigued me because it was written by her sister. I felt thankful that Marilyn's sister would want to open up and share her precious memories. Her stories were heartfelt and you got the sense of getting to know what Marilyn was really like, beyond the Hollywood image she portrayed so well. This book made me sad for Marilyn, sad for Berniece and Mona ...more
Kelsey
Mar 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Though this took me 20 days to finish, it wasn't due to lack of interest. In fact, if I wasn't such a busy person, I could have finished this in two days. It was so interesting.

What I really enjoyed about this book was the fact that it was written by Marilyn's sister, Berniece, who knew Marilyn before she was Marilyn. I've always been a fan of Marilyn Monroe, and was interested to get past all the media and news stories, which were mostly fabricated. With this book, you really get to the heart o
Laurie
Mar 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
A dear friend gave this to me years ago and I'm so happy I finally got around to reading it. This makes me want to run right out and read all I can find on Marilyn, if only I could trust the veracity of the information or the motives of the authors. In the early years Marilyn is described as a fun-loving, loyal and confident woman that you would totally want to hang out with. Boy, does super-fame seem ever nutso and sad. Great read.
janet Burke
Sep 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was a very interesting book written by Marilyn Monroe's half-sister, Berniece Baker Miracle and her niece, Mona Rae Miracle about the person who they knew as Norma Jean and loved as family. It dispels much of the rumor and sensationalism that surrounds this interesting, iconic woman and sheds light on what sounds like a sweet, very ambitious, smart, insecure and tragic human being.
Sara
Jul 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
What a great change of view for Norma Jeane. It is so tragic that she died the way that she did when she did. She truly was a very private person. I dont believe that she showed all of her true self to anyone. One was lucky if she even shared a moment.
 PuMbA's MoMmy*•.♥.•*
This was an ok book for me. I think this is because there wasn't any new information on Marilyn that I had not read before. Still I'm sure Marilyn Monroe fans will find it enjoyable since it was written by Marilyn's sister and neice.
Joey Traughber
Nov 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Berniece Miracle's book "My Sister Marilyn" is a wonderfully written tribute to Marilyn! I loved it!
Sally Edsall
May 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography
I recommend this book to anyone vaguely interested in Marilyn Monroe, not merely the die-hard fan. I do not fall into that category, , but am aware of her enduring presence as an icon. This book lived up to its intriguing promise of providing ANOTHER viewpoint about Marilyn – other than the myriad biographies which have been about Marilyn by ‘outsiders’ and those enriching themselves on the proceeds.

This is very much the biography of Norma Jean Baker as she came to be known by her sister.
The pic
Alicia
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is about Bernice and her sister Norma Jean. They had a family and careers. They tried their best to do right. They encouraged each other and helped their family. Then things happened that spoiled everything. Norma Jean lost her life and Bernice lost her sister. Oh, by the way, Norma Jean was really good at acting, and always had a goal for better roles than the ones she was type-cast in. But she never got the chance.
Isabelle
What a jewel, thank you dear Bernice for sharing with us memories of your sister.
In your words, Marilyn was more alive than ever. The fake childhood created by Hollywood is finally cleared up. It is also lovely how Marilyn wanted to protect her family and how on your side you protected her by not disclosing your pain with the journalists, intruding in your life.

I wish I had read it first when I discovered Marilyn, simply it was not yet published, and was soon out of print in my own language.

We
Tahsin
Feb 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Berniece Baker Miracle was the half sister of Marilyn Monroe. I didn't even know Marilyn has a sister until I stumble upon this book a couple of months ago on Goodreads.

I didn't really learn anything new, but it was a nevertheless book on Marilyn Monroe by her relatives and it had many photos I'd never seen before and many anecdotes.

I don't think Marilyn really trusted her since she begged her after every telephone call not to release pictures of her to the public. This could be just her or ma
Kaethe
Jul 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I'm not particularly interested in Marilyn Monroe, and I actively dislike the efforts of some to make her a stand-in for every attractive woman ever. But a clever friend discovered Miracle's writing, and this I did find intriguing. How weird is it to be a regular person with an internationally-recognizable family member? Bittersweet.
Saturday's Child
Dec 13, 2014 rated it liked it
This is a book that I first noticed some years ago but had not got around to reading. It offers the reader an insight into the life of Marilyn Monroe as seen and understood by her sister and niece.
Jessica
Mar 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
I was worried about reading a book about Marilyn Monroe, because sometimes they can be a little too salacious. This one was showed a whole different side to Marilyn that we don't usually hear about, and I liked how interjected throughout was Berniece's thoughts.
Dolmadez
May 20, 2007 rated it liked it
The only book about Marilyn Monroe worth reading, in my opinion.
Gia
Jan 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Sweet book.
Eve
Mar 19, 2008 rated it did not like it
I'm a big Marilyn fan, and I have read most biographies of her life. This one was so poorly written, I couldn't get through 3 chapters. Don't bother.
Linda
Apr 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Nice bio of marilyn from her half sisters point of view. Contains alot of never before seen photos. great read!
Adrienne Simpson
I never knew that Marilyn had such a complicated life. Her mother being diagnosed with paranoid schitzophrenia must have really been hard for her.
Vicky  Rodden
Jan 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
The author is Berneice Miracle who was Marilyn's half-sister. Berniece wrote a beautiful,
thoughtful and sweet memoir about her sister Norma Jean Baker.
Julie