Start by marking “The Return” as Want to Read:

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  11,872 ratings  ·  1,181 reviews
In the romantic tradition of Dear John and The Lucky One, #1 New York Times bestselling author Nicholas Sparks returns with the story of an injured Navy doctor -- and two women whose secrets will change the course of his life.

Trevor Benson never intended to move back to New Bern, NC. But when a mortar blast outside the hospital where he worked as an orthopedic surgeon
Published September 29th 2020 by Grand Central Publishing (first published June 22nd 2020)

·  11,872 ratings  ·  1,181 reviews

Start your review of The Return
Sheyla ✎
Oct 17, 2020 rated it liked it
The book centers around Trevor Benson, a Navy doctor.

During a tour in Afghanistan, Trevor suffered multiple injuries, including losing a few fingers terminating his career as an orthopedic surgeon. He is suffering from PTSD but he's in therapy to help him deal with it.

Trevor recently lost his grandfather whom he loved and while waiting to begin his second residency as a psychiatrist, he moves back to his grandfather's town in North Carolina. Here he meets two women.

One is a young girl by the
Natalie Rampling
I have been a huge fan of Sparks' previous work, but this did not hit the mark. The Male protagonist was unlikeable, as was one of the females Natalie. He was too full-on, and she was too guarded, and I was seriously frustrated reading their conversations.
The plot around his grandfather and the beehives was much too slow to keep my attention.
Larry H
Oct 25, 2020 rated it liked it
The Return isn't quite as Sparksy as Nicholas Sparks' other books are, but it still delivers a good dose of drama and intrigue.

Trevor was a surgeon whose career ended when he was seriously wounded in Afghanistan. After recovering, hes on the cusp of starting a new career as a psychiatrist helping veterans with PTSD. But first, he travels to his grandfathers house in New Bern, NC, following his death, to tend to the mans beehives and get his affairs in order.

Not long after arriving in town he
B.
Oct 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
3.75 stars.

It's my 17th Nicholas Sparks book. And it was a very Nicholas Sparks-esque book. I enjoyed it very much. This isn't one of his best books but definitely not one of his worst either. It's a very enjoyable one. I really liked it. I wish there was a bit more of the romance. I also liked the mild mystery part surrounding the mysterious Kelly, his grandfather, and why Natalie won't commit to Trevor. But after reading 17 of his books, I knew exactly what Nicholas Sparks was aiming at. 😂
Jackie
Aug 21, 2020 rated it it was ok
The story was just Eh.
Took too long to get into it and the protagonist was unlikable. In my opinion, not the best from Sparks.
Reading Mama
Aug 27, 2020 rated it liked it
Have you ever "outgrown" an author? My love for Nicholas Sparks started when I was younger and movies like "A Walk to Remember" and "The Notebook" came out. I was was so excited when I found out they were based on books; I read them and have been a fan ever since. Even though some would regard Sparks' writing as formulaic, cliché, and predictable, that was something I kind of enjoyed, like I could always count on him for a good story. His last book, Every Breath, was disappointing to me, but I ...more
Bookphenomena (Micky)
Nicholas Sparks excels on the quirky, small-town feel with this book. He created some rather ordinary characters, at first glance uninteresting and at second glance, they were everything I wanted to read.

The protagonist Trevor, recovering veteran and retired doctor had a life that was secluded, involved focus on recovery, health and bees. Beeshonestly, I adored this aspect of the story, the foundation and focus it brought to all the characters in the book . And my favourite character? Trevors
Natalie M
Nov 01, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
Dry eyed and mostly satisfied!

No tissues required for this contemporary but slightly uncharacteristic Sparks novel.

Protagonist Trevor, a war-veteran surgeon who finds himself home in New Bern, North Carolina. He is there to recover and retrain, after a career-ending injury in Afghanistan. Suffering from PTSD and physical injuries he returns to his grandfathers house, following his death, to tend to his bees and decipher the message he was given from his grandfather's death bed.

Natalie, a police
Brandi Morpurgo
Aug 17, 2020 rated it it was ok
Its been a long time since Ive read a Nicholas Sparks book, and I thought heck, its a new one - why not?. This book was told from the male p.o.v. and I felt the narration was tedious, too much inner monologue and none of it was terribly engaging. I am not one to step on an authors hard work, but this one was not for me. I didnt care about any of the characters, it had multiple plot lines which didnt evoke any emotion or interest in me and when it was over, I felt nothing. The cover, however, was ...more
Pauline
May 31, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Trevor is recovering from injuries he received while serving as a navy doctor in Afghanistan.
He hears that his grandfather is seriously ill and immediately goes to visit him. When his grandfather dies Trevor moves into his house to look after the bee hives and decides to repair the cottage.
He befriends Natalie who works for the Sheriffs office and the pair become close.
A wonderful summer read with some lovely characters and I learnt a lot about bee keeping.
♡ Kim ♡
Aug 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars - really enjoyed this one!
Mary Jackson _TheMaryReader
Oct 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
I just love a good romance. Sparks has done it again. If you love romances and happy endings then you should grab a copy of this one. I bet we see this one on the big screen in the future.
5 stars and I HIGHLY recommend this book.
Meagan (Meagansbookclub)
Oct 21, 2020 rated it did not like it
DNF.

Poorly written. Shallow character development. Flat plot line (enough about the bees!!!).
Kate Southey
I will preface this review by saying I loved The Notebook and have read and enjoyed many of Sparks other novels but this one just fell a bit flat for me. It has been some time since Ive read one of his books and I do wonder if because I loved The Notebook so much and yet not this one was because of the passage of time. I read the others in the late 90s and early 00s when attitudes to women were different and at the risk of sounding terribly woke I felt Trevor was a bit sleazy. I dont think Spark ...more
Mo
Nov 01, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The last "Sparks" book I read was a "one-star"... this one is joining the pile. OMG, what a load of drivel. At one stage I was going to give up but I decided to persevere just to see HOW he is a best-selling author. Talk about juvenile ... very little character development. The main guy, Trevor, acting like a silly teenager. I cannot find anything good to say about this... even the Bees bored me. So long, Nicholas, won't be picking up one of your books in the future ...

Gloria Arthur
Nov 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
⭐4 Stars⭐

The Return by Nicholas Sparks (author of The Notebook) is a well-written, charming and touching story of a navy surgeon who is sent home after being severely injured by a mortar explosion while working in Afghanistan.

Trevor Benson has PSTD also known as post-traumatic stress disorder, he struggles with the darkness because his injuries were so severe from the explosion that went off while he was outside the hospital he worked at.

Trevor returns to New Bern, North Carolina to heal and
Tamsin Preece
This was a nice book. I use the word nice deliberately as it wasnt dreadful but it also wasnt outstanding. It was a nice, average book.

Our main character Trevor is a good guy, but hes a little creepy for my liking. Almost obsessive and stalker like in places. Natalie is a bit unlikeable. She could have explained her situation quite easily and spared them both heartache!

I did enjoy the story and, whilst predictable, Im glad it ended as it did.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publishers for my copy
Zoe
Oct 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Hopeful, heart-wrenching, and bittersweet!

The Return sweeps you away to the small town of New Bern, North Carolina and into the life of Trevor Benson, a young doctor and wounded war vet who inadvertently stumbles across a mystery and unexpectedly falls in love when he heads to his late grandfathers home to regroup, refocus, heal and prepare to move on.

The prose is smooth and effortless. The characterization is well-developed with a wonderful cast of characters that are multilayered, strong,
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
*https://mrsbbookreviews.wordpress.com

Most importantly, its the story of two different women, though one was really just a girl at the time.

An author regarded as the master of love and romance stories, Nicholas Sparks is a worldwide sensation. With over thirteen contemporary romance novels to his name, published worldwide and translated into over fifty different languages, Sparks is a novelist who needs no introduction. A highly anticipated read by his fans, The Return is a touching
Vanessa Menezes
I'm a huge fan of Nicholas Sparks, so I had high hopes on this book and was eagerly waiting to read it.

Initially it took me some time to actually get into the story and there was also a point when I thought of setting it aside for another day. However, I continued to read on since I was curious to know what happens.

The plot moves extremely slow and nothing much really happens until the last few chapters. Also, I felt that chemistry between the main characters, Trevor and Natalie, was slightly
emily • emilybookedup
Sep 22, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020-books
3.5 stars for now, subject to change as I reflect more. I was expecting an emo love story, but its certainly not like the majority of his work. Its more about a friendship vs. a love story. But, its a quick read that had me guessing and had very strong characters. Full review to come on my Instagram on pub day (9/29) ...more
Chandrima Ghosh
Aug 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Return by Nicholas Sparks

My feelings after receiving this book:

Well, from childhood I have three fantasies, One) I will date Harry Potter, Two) Chris Evans will reply to my msgs, Three) One day I will receive a copy from Sir Nicholas Sparks or the publisher of his upcoming book!
2 years back the last fantasy was as impossible as me dating Harry Potter or the other one!
Mr. Sparkss books are the reason that I ever started reading novels. I still remember the year 2014, for the first time I
So Starry
Sep 23, 2020 rated it did not like it
Nicholas Sparks

After reading this book, I'm amazed that I ever liked any of Nicholas Sparks books. In hindsight, I realise that I perhaps liked the movies better, because of the added factors of music and good-looking faces. If this book is like any of his previous books, then suffice to say that these stories are abysmally boring and pathetic, and if you like Nicholas Sparks and hate on twilight, then you are literally worthless and have zero appreciation for good writing.

Nicholas
Sara Oxton
May 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Return by Nicholas Sparks a four-star you will return too. This was like a story of two parts the first half I nearly didnt finish multiple times, but the second half was all five-star read. The first half wasnt a bad story, it was just so descriptive, and repetitive, normally I like a good description, but this just kept going. The thing I did enjoy so much was Carl Haverson a man we didnt meet physically but a man who left a hole, big and dark and needing to be filled, ideally with the ...more
Laura Rash
Aug 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Classic NS. All the feels. This one gave me a few chuckles along the way as the narrator tells a great story.
Monica
Oct 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
I have never read a Nicholas Sparks book but I have been wanting to for a long time. When the opportunity came up to read The Return, I took it.

Trevor Benson moved back to New Bern, North Carolina after his grandfather passes away. He moves into his house and tends his grandfather's beloved beehives. Trevor was a navy doctor who was devastingly injured in Afghantistan and is looking forward to becoming a psychiatrist to treat other wounded vets with PTSD--a condition he has also been dealing
Kathy
Oct 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Every once in a while, I love the read a Nicholas Sparks book. They follow a formula but it is always an enjoyable journey. It is easy to relate to the characters and their situations.
Donna Kass
Oct 26, 2020 rated it liked it
This was a sweet book- not too deep or thought provoking. (the ending at least).

The instant romance was a little hard to believe.

Learning about bees and ptsd was very interesting.

The mystery came a little late for me but was believable.
Jenny Jo Weir
The theme is definitely different. First off his background is diverse, the grandpas story is interesting, Nat's story has a twist, Cali's is mysterious and the town is quirky. It's a very different storyline than I was expecting from NS but I'm glad this one made it to my read pile.
Justkeepreading85
Jul 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Return Review

I was so unbelievably excited when I got the email from Grand Central Publishing saying I could now download a copy of the newest Nicholas Sparks book. I was definitely not disappointed. I completely fell in love with Trevor from the beginning, he was charming and funny and I loved reading this story through his perspective. As usual the writing is fantastic and gripping and I found myself completely lost in Trevors world. I didnt want to put it down. The only problem is, now I

• The Family Journal
  • Let's Pretend This Never Happened: A Mostly True Memoir
  • Written in Bone (David Hunter, #2)
  • Whispers of the Dead (David Hunter, #3)
  • The Chemistry of Death (David Hunter, #1)
  • The Calling of the Grave (David Hunter, #4)
  • Die ewigen Toten (David Hunter #6)
  • Totenfang  (David Hunter, #5)
  • When I'm Gone
  • High Achiever: The Incredible True Story of One Addict's Double Life
  • If You Tell: A True Story of Murder, Family Secrets, and the Unbreakable Bond of Sisterhood
  • When We Believed in Mermaids
  • Love Her or Lose Her (Hot & Hammered, #2)
  • Immortal Reign (Falling Kingdoms, #6)
  • Trapped With My Teacher
  • Imaginary Friend
  • 27 Ways to Find a Boyfriend (27 Ways, #1)
  • Last Day
Nicholas Sparks is one of the worlds most beloved storytellers. All of his books have been New York Times bestsellers, with over 105 million copies sold worldwide, in more than 50 languages, including over 75 million copies in the United States alone.

Sparks wrote one of his best-known stories, The Notebook, over a period of six months at age 28. It was published in 1996 and he followed with the

Articles featuring this book

“Because who is ever really fixed when it comes to mental or emotional health? Life takes radical twists and turns, and hopes and dreams shift” 2 likes
“other than to observe that friendship has to flow both ways. Both of you have to be willing to invest in the friendship in order to maintain” 0 likes