Start by marking “Counting Down with You” as Want to Read:

Counting Down with You

In this sparkling and romantic YA debut, a reserved Bangladeshi teenager has twenty-eight days to make the biggest decision of her life after agreeing to fake date her school’s resident bad boy.

How do you make one month last a lifetime?

Karina Ahmed has a plan. Keep her head down, get through high school without a fuss, and follow her parents’ rules—even if it means sacrifi
Expected publication: May 4th 2021 by Inkyard Press

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: May 04, 2021
    Enter to win 1 of 10 Advanced Reader Copies of Counting Down with You by Tashie Bhuiyan!

In this sparkling and romantic YA debut, a reserved Bangladesh

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 10 copies available, 2459 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Jan 01 - Jan 30, 2021

Countries available: U.S. and Canada

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Counting Down with You, please sign up.
    Holly Hughes There is a WHOLE LOT to unpack with the use of “clean” to describe the contents of a book, because it implies a binary wherein some books must be “unc…moreThere is a WHOLE LOT to unpack with the use of “clean” to describe the contents of a book, because it implies a binary wherein some books must be “unclean” or “dirty.” Due to your follow-up question, I’m inclined to think you equate queer characters and experiences with the latter... 🙃

This is a novel written for young adults, that features teenage characters, who have a myriad of experiences. Some of those are romantic in nature. The main pairing is m/f, but there are queer supporting characters who have romantic arcs. Nothing about ANY of these relationships is explicit, but even if they were? Still not a dirty book.(less)

Start your review of Counting Down with You
    Tashie Bhuiyan
    Oct 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
    hello, tashie here! (yes, that was an A:TLA reference)

so, shockingly enough, i'm the author of COUNTING DOWN WITH YOU. i wanted to pop in here for the first and last time to give all of you some information about my book... and maybe give it 5 stars since a piece of my heart resides inside CDWY.

TW / trigger warnings for the main character's anxiety (she has a few anxiety attacks throughout the book, as written based on my own experiences), and for mentions of parental abuse (verbal and psycholo
    Elena
    Nov 23, 2020 marked it as to-read
    books blurb: *exists*
    me: *ignores the entire blurb*
    *sees fake dating*
    me: *adds to tbr*
    also me: *realizes this not only has the legendary fake dating trope but it also features a south asian fl, specifically bangladeshi, who fake dates the school's bad boy who promises to buy her dozens of books. every. week.*
    me after: *SMASHES WANT TO READ BUTTON*
    human
    BYE, I'M DEAD

DECEASED

UNLIVING

ALIVEN'T

THANK YOU NETGALLEY GODS. YOU'VE MADE MY 2020.

~~~~~~~~~

oh man, i'm a sucker for fake-dating
    Zoulfa Katouh
    Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    yes, be jealous, people. i know the author and had the gift of reading it EARLY MWAHAHAHAHA!
    Tashie has a way with words. She strings them together and makes you have an Emotion™️ and you just wanna scream into a pillow from cuteness and immediately eat a chocolate muffin.
    The friendship was just everything to me. I demand it to be the blueprint for all future female friendships in books FOREVER!
    And the romance was just... I mean... okay!?!! Ace is just everything and I love his smirks and words
    Chaity
    Dec 05, 2020 marked it as to-read
    BANGLADESHI TEENAGER! BANGLADESHI TEENAGER! BANGLADESHI TEENAGER! BANGLADESHI TEENAGER! BANGLADESHI TEENAGER! BANGLADESHI TEENAGER! BANGLADESHI TEENAGER! BANGLADESHI TEENAGER! BANGLADESHI TEENAGER! BANGL-
    And,
    “...he brings her coffee in the mornings, impresses her friends without trying, and even promises to buy her a dozen books (a week) if she goes along with his fake-dating facade.”
    Take my money!
    Fanna
    Sep 22, 2020 marked it as to-read
    Shelves: 2021-releases
    September 23, 2020: As if everything about this book doesn't sound perfect, especially with an ownvoices anxiety rep in a story with a South-Asian MC, this COVER IS GIVING ME THE BEST FEELS. need need need~ ...more
    Emma Lord
    Dec 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    I was so thrilled for the opportunity to read this much buzzed about book in advance, and even *more* thrilled that it not only lived up to the hype, but smashed past it! Truly *chef's kiss* take on the fake dating trope while still juggling the weight of family, expectations, and everything that comes along with them. Tashie handles her characters with such unique wit and insight that they felt all too real to me; I was a sad bean when it was over because I spent so many evenings curled up on m ...more
    Jackie
    Sep 25, 2019 marked it as 2021-omg
    EVERYONE ADD THIS BOOK TO YOUR TBRS BECAUSE IT'S GONNA BE ON THE NYT BESTSELLER LIST OF 2021 I CAN FEEL IT.

i'm genuinely so so sooo excited for this to come out like i already know miss tashie is gonna hit us right in the feels with this one AND IT HAS FAKE DATING LIKE HELLOOOO.

rep: Bangladeshi-Muslim protagonist
    ✨farwa✨
    excuse me bitch what?
    —bangladeshi muslim brown teenager rep with fake fucking dating and books?
    yes the blurb definitely just hit me in all the right places,I-
    my inner-bangladeshi-brown-muslim-self is wHEEZINg yES mkskskskskskskskjs gimme this!!!
    J. Elle
    This book.
    This book!
    Where to start...

It's difficult to sum up (with brevity) just how enjoyable and powerful COUNTING DOWN WITH YOU is. The author's ability to make me absolute googly-eyed swoon as if I were back in high school is probably my favorite part of this story. This is one of those stories that's like an exquisite piece of chocolate after a long day. You nibble and savor and TRYYY to make it last because the thought of not being able to hide away with this delectable treat is unbear
    dessie
    this is THE debut of the century, i havent read it yet but i know this
    Sana
    Jul 03, 2020 marked it as to-read-so-bad-it-hurts
    This sounds so good! And also features:
    '- a chaotic girl squad
    - #ownvoices anxiety rep
    - a supportive grandma
    - and a boy that plays the piano...'

Basically, everything I want in a book plus fake dating

Source
    Chloe
    Oct 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    *Spoiler free*

I heard fake dating and I was in. I knew the main character, Karina, was going to tutor the resident bad boy, while also going through with a fake dating scheme. That's pretty much where my knowledge ended, but not my excitement for it. The cover is adorable and I'd seen so much love for it online that I was ready to read it as soon as I could. Trigger warnings: anxiety, anxiety attacks, parental abuse (verbal, phycological)

Oh my gosh. Oh my gosh. How do you put into a words the fe
    shan ✰
    Jan 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing
    wow. it's 12:45am, i just finished this book, and i'm sobbing so hard. i never thought i would read a book that so perfectly reflected my own experiences as a south asian girl with anxiety. i absolutely loved this book. everything about it was so enthralling, from the writing to the characters and their relationships. this was one of my most anticipated releases of the year, and it was everything i could've asked for and more. it's definitely joined the list of my favourite books of all time and ...more
    aroa☾
    May 04, 2020 rated it liked it
    thank you to edelweiss and inkyard press for providing me with an ARC in exchange for an honest review

"Ya Allah, I'm in a sitcom. I'm the Muslim girl sitting at a table with a typical all American family about to say grace"
    alright. first let me just say that it saddens me to rate this anything lower than five stars, because i was super excited for this book and the wait has been EXCRUCIATING. and unfortunately that's what happens when i hype a book so much, it's underwhelming.
    i'm also wonderin
    mish ♡
    Nov 23, 2020 marked it as to-read
    i just want to say the main character being Bangladeshi is everythingggg to me skfjdsjkfs (i'm half). also, why can't a fake boyfriend come my way when my parents leave me here.... ...more
    sofia
    Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    I count myself lucky for having the pleasure to read this book and I thank the heavens everyday for having Miss Tashie in my life, her book is full of realistic relatable characters and the struggles that Karina goes through in her everyday life really resonated with me. This book made me laugh, cry and wish that I was friends with the main characters. Words can't describe how much I love this book and how important this story is to not only POC, but anyone feeling like they can't express their ...more
    maisha
    Oct 02, 2019 marked it as to-read
    i know this comes out in 2021 but omg a Bangladeshi-American teen??? this is the kind of book i've been waiting for since i was a kid and i'm so here for it :') ...more
    Lisa Pineo
    "Counting Down with You" by Tashie Bhuiyan, Inkyard Press
    Category: Multicultural YA romance
    *I received this eARC from Inkyard Press via Edelweiss+ in return for an honest review.
    My rating: 4.5 stars
    TW (trigger warnings): Religious/cultural differences

Description from the publisher:
    How do you make one mon
    Mimi (mimiisreading)
    [8 June, 2020]
    [ hold my phone while i scream please ]
    A YA book with a BANGLADESHI-MUSLIM MAIN CHARACTER?!
    SIGN. ME. UP!

-------------------------------------------------------------

[23 June, 2020]
    Can this book come out any sooner? *goes to cry in a corner*
    michelle
    Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    had the honor to read this book and from someone who basically only reads contemporary books now let me just say tashie and this book blew me away. i can’t wait for everyone to read this and fall in love with this story, characters and all the relationships!!
    Isabel ✰
    i was approved for this arc *checks email* nine hours ago, and here we are -- finally time for me to gush about how much i loved this book!

Counting Down with You is the story of Karina Ahmed, a Bangladeshi Muslim teenager who feels stifled under her parents strict standards for her. When they leave Karina and her brother to spend the month in Bangladesh, Karina starts to live the life she'd been hoping for, and is forced to confront her family and herself about what happiness looks like for her.
    ananya
    Jan 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing
    where do i even start
    it was beautiful absolutely heartbreakingly beautiful
    as a south asian girl struggling with anxiety and familial pressure, reading this book felt like i was reading about my life, every single thing hit home so hard. i’m so thankful for miss tashie for writing this book for us brown girls, now i just need an ace clyde and all will be well in the world!

this has definitely become one of my comfort books and the way i felt myself being represented in the very pages of this book
    Alyssa Thomas

Sep 21, 2020 is currently reading it
    the cover!! [soft scream] ...more
    alyssa
    Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    honestly one of my fav books ive read this year (and no i am not biased)!!! i cant believe tashie gave me the HONOR to read it but i will be thankful forever! this is truly a beautiful and amazing book and i cant wait for everyone to read it!!! i hope you all fall in love with the characters as much as i did!
    nick (the infinite limits of love)
    Counting Down With You is a book I wish I had as a teenager because I recognized so much of a young myself in the protagonist, Karina. Debut author Tashie Bhuiyan brings her engaging voice and Bangladeshi background to YA, making this story of a young woman learning to face her fears and fight for her happiness a fresh one. There's so much I adored about this story and I won't go into all the details, but I hope you give the book the recognition and love it clearly deserves.

The story opens up wi
    mith
    There’s always something so surreal about reading a book where the main character is exactly like you. Not in specs of their personality or their humour or the dark parts of them that make you feel lighter about yourself. Just every single thing, down to having the special home name only family calls you. Do you know how utterly strange that is?

Momentary disbelief aside, this book was such a breath of fresh air. It hit just enough for me to be wary of finishing it but it was everything else I d
    afternoonsunjeans
    June 22, 2020: The author describes it as "a chaotic girl squad, ov anxiety rep, a supportive grandma, a girl that writes poetry, and a boy that plays the piano". After having read snippets from her WIPs, the synopsis and now THIS, I'm absolutely ready for everything. The only bad thing is that we have to wait until next year. ...more
    Dany
    Sep 21, 2020 marked it as to-read
    Look at this glorious cover people!!! With a
    🌟gorgeous cover
    🌟 Bangladeshi diaspora rep
    🌟Fake dating
    🌟Fake dating while parents are out with the school's hottest boy AND tutoring him??

This is just diwali wrapped in a package for me!
    « previous 1 3 next »

• A RomaJuliette Christmas Special (These Violent Delights, #0.5)
    • These Violent Delights (These Violent Delights, #1)
    • Perfect on Paper
    • Lore
    • Accidentally Engaged
    • The Moth & the Flame (The Wrath & the Dawn, #0.25)
    • Revenge of the Sluts
    • You Have a Match
    • The Ex Talk
    • Excuse Me While I Ugly Cry
    • Can't Take That Away
    • The Mirror & the Maze (The Wrath and the Dawn, #1.5)
    • In the Penalty Box
    • Wings of Ebony (Wings of Ebony, #1)
    • Ace of Spades
    • The Crown & the Arrow (The Wrath and the Dawn, #0.5)
    • Clues to the Universe
    • All I Want for Christmas
    Tashie Bhuiyan is a Bangladeshi American writer based in New York City. She recently graduated from St. John's University with a bachelor's degree in Public Relations, and hopes to change the world, one book at a time. She loves writing stories about girls with wild hearts, boys who wear rings, and gaining agency through growth. When she's not doing that, she can be found in a Chipotle or bookstor ...more