Start by marking “Who I Was with Her” as Want to Read:
Who I Was with Her

Who I Was with Her

There are two things that Corinne Parker knows to be true: that she is in love with Maggie Bailey, the captain of the rival high school’s cross-country team and her secret girlfriend of a year, and that she isn’t ready for anyone to know she’s bisexual.

But then Maggie dies, and Corinne quickly learns that the only thing worse than losing Maggie is being left heartbroken ov
Published September 15th 2020 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about Who I Was with Her, please sign up.
Nita I'll have a preorder link up as soon as one's available!! So glad you're interested in the book.…moreI'll have a preorder link up as soon as one's available!! So glad you're interested in the book.(less)

Start your review of Who I Was with Her
Nita
May 24, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Well I wrote it, so!
I can’t wait for all of you to meet Corinne, my messy, complicated protagonist whom I love.
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Oct 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Oooooof, this hit me right in the sad queer girl feels. I liked it so, so much.

TW: death of a loved one, alcoholism, homophobia, slut shaming
Ellie
I read this all through in a day whilst listening to my sad sapphic yearning playlist (yes, I have one of those) and basically it resulted in me crying a lot.

this is a sad yet quietly beautiful and hopeful little book that had some aspects that unexpectedly dug a little deeper for me than they will do for some others, but I did really love it.

full review to come soon <3

> 4.2 or 4.5 stars

two thoughts:

a) this cover is stunning
b) I am absolutely going to need a box of tissues in reach before I
Lea (drumsofautumn)
the cover of Who I Was With Her on an ipad, lying on top of a blanket with simple fairy lights around it, the cover is pink with two girls on it, one slightly faded

“Now my heart is with a girl in a coffin in the ground. But that girl wanted me to be better, she wanted my heart to be in it, so I could keep running with her. So for her, I’ll try.”

Who I Was With Her is an incredibly powerful YA Contemporary about grief and figuring out what you want from life.

This story is about 17-year old Corinne, whose girlfriend, Maggie, suddenly dies in a car accident. But because both girls were still in the closet, nobody knew that they were in a relationsh
˗ˏˋ lia ˎˊ˗
stories with bisexual protagonists dealing with grief? my kink i guess.
theresa
Sep 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Who I Was With Her is a novel about grief, acceptance and finding yourself. Corinne Parker’s girlfriend, Maggie, dies suddenly and tragically in a car crash and we follow Corinne as she deals with this loss. The situation is made more difficult because Corinne isn’t out and no one knew that the girls were together. Grieving publicly means outing them both and Corinne isn’t prepared to do that. Instead, she finds solace in Maggie’s ex, the only one who understands.

I was hesitant going into this b
Claude's Bookzone
3.5 Stars

CW: (view spoiler)

Well that was quite a raw exploration of grief. It was heartbreaking to watch Corinne dealing with the loss of her girlfriend but not be at liberty to grieve openly as their relationship was a secret. Corinne had not been ready to be openly bisexual so the year long relationship had remained hidden from family and friends. I felt emotion in all t
Amber
Jul 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book really just ripped my heart out of my chest -- repeatedly. The premise of this book tells you that it's going to be painful to read, but going into it, I don't think I quite realised just how much this book would hit me. This story is stunning, captivating and the pain and grief is so, so raw. The dual timeline was super helpful to driving the story forward and giving us some insight into the characters and how they got to where they are now.

A gorgeous, heart-wrenching story about gri
destiny ♡ howling libraries
This sounds like it’s going to wreck every inch of me and I’m going to love it 😬
solanne
Jan 10, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2021-reads
fuck. i don’t remember the last time i actually cried while reading. so much of this book hit home for me; i can’t recommend it enough.
Anniek
Oct 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I cried my way through this. Literally. I have a headache now from crying so much. But it was just so damn good.

I expected the book to be mainly focused on the theme of grief, and it was, and it was very sad. But it also dealt a lot with the pressure to come out, and how terrifying it is to come out, and not being sure if you even want to. This resonated with me a lot.
Iris
Nov 07, 2019 marked it as to-read
anyways I just started crying reading something the author tweeted about this so I think the book itself is going to BREAK me
R
Aug 27, 2020 rated it liked it
Corinne always expected a nightly text from Maggie. The text never came. The next day at school, her cross country teammates were causally discussing the death of girl from a car crash. The girl was the captain on the cross country team from their rival school. Maggie was the captain of that team from their rival school. Corinne heard Maggie’s name. Maggie was dead. Her secret girlfriend of almost a year was dead… and Corinne had to hide her tears and grief for the girl she loved and could no lo ...more
jut
Oct 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-s-books
"I am a girl with a secret.
(I am a secret.)"
micah ➳ canonicallychaotic
”take a breath. look in the mirror. say it again.
‘i’m bisexual.’
i burst into tears.”

told in the timelines of “before” and “after,” who i was with her is the story of corinne— a closeted bi girl whose secret girlfriend dies suddenly, with no one knowing about their relationship.

this is a book about coming out. and not just in the way were used to seeing in queer narratives.

this is about coming out to yourself. admitting to yourself who you are, saying those words out loud to your reflection for
Jena
What beautifully written book, in so many ways, but I'll focus on the main two, as they are the most important and complex issues. For one, this book explores grief beautifully. It explores it in the way you'd expect from a book with this premise, but it also explores the darker sides of grief, such as anger, jealousy and the possessiveness of memories, without painting any of the characters as bad people for feeling these things. Secondly, this is one of the best "coming out" stories I've read ...more
rey
i, too, have fallen for my ex’s ex 😔✌️
kate
Jan 11, 2021 rated it really liked it
A beautiful, devastating and hopeful exploration of grief, sexuality and figuring out your place in the world. Easy to read and gorgeously written, with nuanced discussions surrounding coming out, bisexuality, asexuality, alcoholism and the pressures surrounding pursuing higher education. I'm very excited to read more from Nita Tyndall in the future.

TW: homophobia
Celine
Nov 12, 2020 rated it it was ok
alaska
This is a hard one to review for me, if I’m being honest. I LOVED the representation in this and it was amazing to read about a bisexual main character!

The thing with this book, though, is that it’s on the edge of being amazing. The story was good, the characters were good, the message was good, but it’s literally a few steps away from giving satisfaction, too.

I couldn’t fully connect with the characters. At some points the emotions were written really well, but it was still on the edge of actu
akacya ❦
4.5

corinne isn’t ready to come out as bisexual to her conservative southern town. then her girlfriend, maggie, dies, and corinne has no one to talk to about it since their relationship was a secret. well, no one except elissa, maggie’s ex girlfriend corinne didn’t know about. she tries to cope with balancing her secret grief, secret sexuality, and secret hatred for cross country (something her dad has pushed her to do) during her senior year of high school.

this book made me tear up quite a few t
Susana
4 stars

Some things are just impossible no matter how much you try.

Corinne Parker is a closeted bisexual teen whose girlfriend Maggie is a part of her school's rival cross-country team. When Maggie tragically dies in a car accident, Corinne is forced to mourn her alone since she's still not ready to be out to the world and let her relationship be known. That is until she meets Maggie's ex-girlfriend, who completely understands her pain and who she might be starting to have feelings for.

Grie
Althea
This book hit me so much harder than I was expecting it to and by the end of it I was quietly sobbing alone in my room at 1am as I turned the final page! This definitely had similar vibes, to me, of other hard-hitting sapphic ya, such as We Are Okay by Nina LaCour and I really enjoyed it. I did feel that some of the plot lines got a bit tangled up and perhaps too much was trying to be tackled all at once, but overall this was a really great read and I can't wait to see what Nita Tyndall has in s ...more
dezzy
2.5 stars.

I'm honestly not sure how to describe how I feel towards Who I Was with Her. Even though 2.5 stars is not a great rating, I still liked this book enough to finish it. (If I truly dislike a book, I would get bored and DNF it right away.)

Who I Was with Her, at its core, is a book about grief, the complexity and struggles of coming out, and trying to figure out what you want, as opposed to what you think everyone else wants for you. The main character, Corinne, is left heartbroken and al
Andy
I'm just gonna cry forever after this beautiful yet devastating piece of literature. Seriously, pick this up if you want to feel sad or need to cry (internally or externally should get you on both counts).

Who I Was With Her is an exploration of grief, family, love and coming out. Corinne Parker is at a loss when she finds out her girlfriend is dead. The thing is no one knows Maggie Bailey was her girlfriend even though they'd been dating for a year. Corinne has only come to figure out that she
Gabriella
Thank you to NetGalley and HarperCollins Publishers for the ARC of this book.

I was prepared for this book to destroy me when I started it, and it certainly lived up to my expectations. This book was bleak from the very first page; there's no lead-in and no beating around the bush. Corinne is messy and real and isn't always easy to like, but you can't help but feel every aspect of her grief right along with her. Tyndall's writing is succinct and evocative, which made this book easy to binge-read
m. (archived)
Sep 26, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: lgbt, family, sapphic
2.5

basically three hundred pages of people trying to force a self absorbed girl to come out (including the two girls she's dated telling her they can't be together otherwise.) it was all addressed in the end so at least that's something but it didn't make the process of reading all the frustrating arcs any better.
M.
I’ve read this book twice and love it so much. It’s a gorgeous story about how being queer isn’t just something easily labeled and how life is complicated. It’s a beautiful book, and I just think everyone should read it.
Angel
Jun 24, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Corinne, a high school senior full of anxiety and confusion whose first lover died abruptly in a car accident, is the main character of Who I Was With Her, which alternates between two timelines - the time before and the time after Maggie's death. There are many messy exchanges, and Corinne is a confused character, but I thought this gave the plot more complexity. Nobody is flawless. They injure each other, say inappropriate things, and ignore details. However, love, friendship, ties, and growth ...more
Sophie_The_Jedi_Knight
Apr 15, 2020 marked it as to-read
4/15/20:

First off -

For the love of all things good and holy, why does this sound so much like a book idea I've been nursing and working on? Why does this always happen?

I have to say I don't like the added element of the MC falling for her dead girlfriend's ex, that just sounds like a major crapstorm. And really, when someone they both loved just died would they really be in a good place to genuinely fall in love? Really? *coughClockworkPrincesscough*

I'm interested, but this looks like it's goin

• Disappearing Earth
  • Technically, You Started It
  • The Yellow Wall-Paper
  • Boy Queen
  • Recipe for a Perfect Wife
  • Head Games (Locke & Key, #2)
  • When We Were Orphans
See top shelves…
Nita Tyndall is a passionate queer advocate and literary translator who writes the kinds of books they needed in high school. Their translations from the German have appeared in World Literature Today, and they have previously written for outlets like Autostraddle and were part of the Lambda Literary Writer's Retreat in 2017. You can find them on Twitter and Instagram at @nitatyndall. They live in ...more