Start by marking “Turning Point (So Done, #3)” as Want to Read:
Turning Point (So Done, #3)

Turning Point

(So Done #3)

Distance threatens to tear apart a friendship. That is, of course, if a secret doesn’t ruin it first.

Told in dual perspectives, this provocative and timely stand-alone companion to Paula Chase’s So Done and Dough Boys will resonate with fans of Jason Reynolds, Rebecca Stead, and Renée Watson.

Best friends Rasheeda and Monique are both good girls. For Sheeda, that means keep
Published September 15th 2020 by Greenwillow Books

Start your review of Turning Point (So Done, #3)
Kathie
May 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Edelweiss+ and the publisher for an eARC of this book to review.

I absolutely love this author’s writing, so I was delighted to get a chance to read this September release ahead of time. TURNING POINT is a stand alone story, but focuses on characters from The Cove we know from SO DONE and DOUGH BOYS. This story is told from the dual perspectives of Mo and Sheeda, and their very different summers apart from each other. Mo attends a with a three week ballet intensive with Mila out of t
Ms. Yingling
Jun 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
E ARC provided by Edelweiss Plus

This is not listed as So Done #3, but since the plot involves characters from So Done and Dough Boys, this feels like it is.

It's summer, and Monique (Mo) is conflicted about going to a prestigious summer ballet program for three weeks with fellow dancer Mila. She wants to dance, but feels that the primarily white environment isn't a good fit for her. Rasheeda (Sheeda), on the other hand, is stuck at home for that time without her best friend, and is tired of alwa
Abbie
Oct 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is the third book in Paula Chase's So Done series, but it can be read as a stand-alone. I loved the portrayal of female friendships and how they are affected by distance and romantic relationships. Mo's story arch is compelling as she tries to determine how many of her problems are due to the nonacceptance of a White world and how many are due to her own perceptions. I also really appreciated her conclusions about classical ballet which felt totally earned and realistic. Sheeda's struggles ...more
Alicia
Two different friends are on different paths for the summer and the group feels a little strained. Not only is their a romance between a friend and the other friend's brother, but there's plenty of prejudice at the dance corps institute that the girls are at as the only Black ballerinas. And it feels off. The girls address the fears and stand up against the discrimination.

There is a bit about ballet but not overwhelming for those that don't know much about it and plenty of texting drama and com
Laura Gardner
Oct 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Turning Point is the third book by @thatpaulachase about friends in the same neighborhood. Rasheeda and Monique have been best friends forever, but this summer the two are separated. Mo is in a ballet intensive for three weeks, but she’s only one of two Black girls and she feels underprepared. Meanwhile, Sheeda is lonely; most of her time is spent at church with her aunt or texting Mo’s brother Lennie. This incredible coming of age novel addresses body image, sexual harassment, racial prejudice ...more
Reviews May Vary
Thanks to the publishers for a free copy of this middle grade book.

Monique and Rasheeda are best friends who are about to spend a summer apart. Mo's headed to an elite summer dance experience with a bunch of privileged White girls who have been dancing since they were two. Sheeda is staying home and expected to help lead the youth ministry at church. They both have things to learn about being honest with themselves and their friends.

Great book about friendship and finding your own stengths.

TW:
Afoma Umesi
Jun 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I adored this book. Turning Point by Paula Chase is a compulsively readable upper middle-grade book (more mature than the average but not quite YA) that explores a horde of important themes. This book handles everything from female friendships, body image, sexual harassment, religion, racial prejudice, to ballet, If you're looking for a middle-grade book about ballet, I'd highly recommend this one. As at the time of this review, it's the best I've read. Claire Swinarski's What Happens Next f ...more
Ellie M
Sep 10, 2020 marked it as to-read
We've heard from Mila and Tai and Rollie and Simp in the previous books So Done and Dough Boys. While this book's cover doesn't match the other two, it is the third Cove story in a series, this time from the points of view of Sheeda and Mo. I wasn't able to remember very much about them from the earlier books, so it was exciting to see their points of view the summer before high school. They almost reminded me of Mila and Tai themselves.
Rasheeda Jenkins is basically alone for the summer. Mila an
Elizabeth
May 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Summer is the time for friendship- hanging out with the people you like most, doing all the things that make you happy. Or, at least, it is supposed to be.

This summer, Monique (Mo) and Rasheeda (Sheeda) are split apart when Mo gets accepted to a ballet summer intensive and Sheeda is stuck with the church friends she'd rather avoid.

Mo is excited to be going to the summer intensive, along with her friend Mila, but is worried they will be the only black girls there. Upon arrival, she finds that h
Akoss
Sep 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: colorinyamg
Thanks to Harper Collins Children's Books and author Paula Chase for this advance reader copy.
All opinions are my own.
---
Summer break which is supposed to be filled with hang outs and shenanigans turns out to be anything but when Sheeda's best friend Mo leaves for a ballerina intensive camp. But the boredom Sheeda anticipates shows up with a life changing twist.
Mo takes a leap of faith to go on the ballerina intensive but she quickly realizes it's more than she bargained for when she finds out t
Annamarie Carlson (she, her)
Monique is thrilled to be accepted to an exclusive summer ballet intensive. But when she gets there, she discovers that she is one of only two black girls. Many of these other girls have been dancing at programs like this one for years, and Mo isn't feeling as prepared as she did before she left home. Life at the camp is an adjustment--from the things the other girls talk about and the food in the cafeteria to passing remarks that feel...racist.

Rasheeda is stuck at home all summer while her bes
Kristen
Sep 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs, blm
Netgalley provided me a DRC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Another winner by Paula Chase set in the same world as So Done and Dough Boys and featuring the same crew.

This time the story focuses on the friendship between Rasheeda and Monique and the time they must spend apart while Mo is off at an intensive dance retreat with Mila. While Mo struggles with being one of the only black ballerinas at the retreat, Sheeda struggles with her strict aunt and feeling out of place with churc
Kendra  Walker
Oct 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I would like to thank NetGalley and HarperCollins Publishing company for the opportunity to view an ARC of "Turning Point" in exchange for my honest review.

"Turning Point" is written by author Paula Chase. This book was a delightful read that hit on so many valid topics and issues but in a manner that made them go down easy.

We are introduced to our main characters Rasheeda and Monique. They are best friends that have such polar personalities. "Sheeda" is laid back. She does not welcome conflict
Donna
Jul 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Mo and Sheeda are best friends who are about to spend a big part of the summer away from each other. Mo is going to a ballet intensive while Sheeda is staying home with her aunt. Each girl has a lot to deal with, and neither will end the summer the same. Mo’s confidence is shaken in the almost all-white ballet intensive, while Sheeda struggles to meet her aunt’s expectations and explore her feelings for a boy.

The author’s writing is engaging, and this book is difficult to put down. The story is
Oct 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaway-winners
This is a stand-alone book in the So Done series. The story follows two friends, Rasheeda and Monique, through the summer before high school. The girls are both trying to figure out their place in the world as their relationship with each other and their growing individualism change over time.

This #representationmatters and #ownvoices middle-grade novel touches on many tough topics. The author does not shy away from racism, rebellion, and difficult relationships. There is a lot here to encourage
Laurie
Oct 29, 2020 added it
Shelves: read-in-2020
Paula Chase is one of my favorite upper MG authors, and I loved TURNING POINT just as much as her others! This is such a powerful, compelling, smart story about friendship, ballet, religion, and race. I loved getting to know Mo and Sheeda better after meeting them as secondary characters in SO DONE and DOUGH BOYS. They are memorable, lovable, fully realized characters, and this story is as thought-provoking as it is entertaining. HIGHLY recommend Paula’s MG for middle school readers and 7th and ...more
Gina Malanga
Oct 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Sheeda and Mo are best friends but when the summer before high school they have separate experiences, both eye opening, they aren’t sure if absence really does make the heart grow fonder. Sheeda is stuck between the church world her aunt occupies and the “normal” teen world she wants to occupy. Mo struggles with finding her identify as a young woman and as a dancer at the elite dance camp she attends for the summer. A great middle grade novel about finding yourself, speaking your truth, learning ...more
Rachel (Life of a Female Bibliophile)
This novel is a coming of age story that follows two friends, Monique and Rasheeda, who spend a summer apart. Monique is going a ballet intensive program while Rasheeda stays at home helping out with her church’s bible camp. This is a coming of age story as much is a tale about friendship and finding yourself. Both girls are put in different situation where they out of place both separated, but are only able to stay connected through text....

Read the full book review on the blog: https://www.lif
Laurie
Aug 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Definitely a recommend for junior high/early high school readers. It's nice to find a YA book that focuses almost entirely on the friendships between the characters. YA readers will be able to connect to the emotions and concerns facing each character - crushing on a boy, worrying about fitting in, outgrowing friendships. There are some mature themes in the book, however, but they are briefly mentioned and are not graphic.
Zenita Dee
Jun 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviews
This is a wonderful coming of age story about the paths we choose to walk in life and how to fit into them while remaining true to ourselves.

I think it's a book my younger self could have used.

I go into it a bit more here
Suezette Given
Aug 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Perfect title for this book: the characters are figuring out life and how they fit into the world--and the changes that come in your teen years. Strong characters and a clear picture of their lives. Dating/relationships explored. Racial issues. Will definitely recommend this book to many readers.
K.C
Oct 17, 2020 rated it liked it
For some reason, I just couldn't get into it that much. It was enjoyable, but just not up there.
Faith Rice-Mills
Nov 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
We need more books like this.
Thindbooks
Jul 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
*This book was given to me by the publisher to give an honest review in return*

This book was an enjoyable read. It's about two best friends who have to spend their summers apart. Mo is going to camp and has to deal with racism and body image and Sheeda is religious but falls in love with Mo's older brother. The beginning of this book was a little slow and I wasn't interested in the story until page 50. After that, the story got really interesting. I did enjoy the author's writing and plot story.
Faith
Jun 19, 2020 rated it liked it
"There. It was done. She'd forgiven him. Not because she was worried he'd be mad with her if she didn't/ Because the anger made her feel like she was walking underwater. Because , if she didn't forgive herself [. . .] she'd drown in it."

Mo and Sheeda have been best friends for years and spend every Summer together. But this year all that may change when Mo gets into a prestigious ballet intensive and Sheeda stays home to face weeks of church activities with her aunt. On the cusp of becoming teen
Melissa Cheresnick
Lauren
Oct 06, 2020
« previous 1 3 next »

• Twins
  • Class Act (New Kid, #2)
  • Fighting Words
  • What Lane?
  • Dress Coded
  • I Am Every Good Thing
  • Black Brother, Black Brother
  • The Canyon's Edge
  • Before the Ever After
  • We Dream of Space
  • City Spies (City Spies, #1)
  • Thirteens
  • The Girl and the Ghost
  • King and the Dragonflies
  • Ways to Make Sunshine
  • Everything Sad Is Untrue
  • Chirp
  • A Thousand Questions
I'm a creature borne of pop culture. It's created a volatile mix of hope and cynicism within me that I help myself understand by putting my young characters through the world's paces.

I have a big heart for young readers. Young Adult and Middle Grade novels are my home.

And because no one lives in a vacuum, I co-founded The Brown Bookshelf to ensure that the spotlight on children's lit created by pe

So Done (3 books)
  • So Done (So Done, #1)
  • Dough Boys (So Done, #2)

Articles featuring this book