Start by marking “Styx & Stones” as Want to Read:
Styx & Stones

Styx & Stones

A heartbreaking mature YA novel from the author of the bestselling contemporary romance, Harley & Rose.

Cancer sucks … and then you die.

Alaska Stone is everything I've ever dreamed of.

For years, I’ve watched her in the halls, wanted her, but she never knew I existed.

Not until she walked into my chemo session.

For me, it was love at first sight.

For her? It might take a littl
Published September 3rd 2019

To ask other readers questions about Styx & Stones, please sign up.
Tayah English
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Styx & Stones
❥ KAT ❥ Kitty Kats Crazy About Books
Image and video hosting by TinyPic STYX-AND-STONES MY REVIEW AND OTHERS: can also be found on my blog:
➽ KITTY KATS CRAZY ABOUT BOOKS Image and video hosting by TinyPic
5 LONER BOY STARS

STYX & STONES Is a full length mature YA/Romance novel by Carmen Jenner. Spoken in Dual POV's. In this we meet Styx Hendricks & Alaska Stone...Both have cancer...

I haven’t read a book by this author in a while so I basically signed up blind, I didn’t even read the synopsis 🙈and I begged her to not make me cry!! For the record, yes, I cried!! This was such a sad, emotional, u
Mali Mor ❤️ The Romantic Blogger
Just so you'll know, I'm still crying from the moment I finished reading...
Who am I kidding? I started crying the moment I finished the prologue! 😭
Styx-Stones-GIF

📚 "Cancer sucks.
And then you die.
At least how supposed to go.
Only sometimes, fate likes to screw with you." 📚

17-year-old Styx Hendricks has a rare type of cancer. He has already managed to overcome it once, but the cancer has returned and his chances of recovery are low...
Styx copes by using cynicism (which made a difficult subject, very funny
Na
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
"We're different, and it's okay not to be okay. It doesn't change us."

Carmen Jenner is an author that was on my tbr list for way too long and I'm happy that Styx & Stones was my first book by her. It's such a moving book with such a heavy topic, yet, I enjoyed every word I read.

"I don't know how to focus on anything but him, but I'm scared. Scared of loving him, scared of losing him. I'm scared to live."

I'd like to say that the love between Styx & Stones was doomed from the beginning. But thinki
Lisa (Two Bookish Brits)
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’m an actual mess.

ARC received in exchange for an honest review

How does one describe a book that completely floored me and left me speechless. A book that has left me so emotional I’m weak from crying. It’s like a huge truck has taken to driving over my heart, reversing back and rolling over it again. It aches, I’m emotional and extremely sad. I knew, I just knew that I’d feel like this and I’m absolutely loving that it did. A book that can make me feel like this is a book well written. I love
Andrea Fleury
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Styx and stones and Cancer

Styx has been in love with Alaska stone since 5 th grade. But she doesn't know it yet. Styx has cancer. Alaska just found out she does too. They meet at chemo. Does he tell her he has always loved her?
Jan
You know that saying "may as well make the most of it"? "make good out of a bad situation" well, you could say these characters did that, Styx Hendricks was an amazing and inspirational character and dragged Alaska Stone right along with him on their journey into forever, their positivity was infectious.

Two people each with terminal illnesses, two people who find love and comfort in each other in their last days.

"Our diagnoses brought us together, but it may be the very thing that tears us apa
Whoo Gives A Hoot
* Read more of my reviews at Whoo Gives A Hoot *

description

Styx & Stones is a devastatingly heartbreaking and emotionally captivating love story that will leave you a blubbering mess as you attempt to pick of the pieces of your broken soul after you have inhaled all the words. Carmen Jenner's unique storytelling ability managed to completely obliterate every part of me and has left me crying my eyes out even hours after finishing.

Styx Hendricks and Alaska Stone instantly took ahold of my heart and pulle
Shabby  -BookBistroBlog
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
How do I describe the book which just tore open my chest and scooped out my heart with a blunt spoon!! Carmen is in all her sadistic glory hacking away at readers emotions with a rusty knife, squeezing tears out of driest of eyes.

description

I KNEW Carmen would make me ugly-cry when I picked this book. She made me fall in love with these beautiful 17 year olds whose lives are entwined together rushing towards the white light.
They have numbered breaths and limited days in their tragic existence. But Styx He
Escape into a Booksite
Shelves: kindle
*5 Stars*

ARC kindly received in exchange for an honest review.

I honestly do not know where to start with this. How do you even review a book like Styx and Stones? It's been a while since I've read a YA story like this, but I knew that anything Carmen wrote, I would love, so I was going to read it anyways.

Now, I knew going in that the book would be emotional, given that cancer is the subject matter. But, I did not expect to be getting goosebumps in the damned prologue. What a way to intro a b
Jo - •.★Reading Is My Bliss★.•
It’s been a while since I read Young Adult fiction and I’m so glad that this was the story that led me back into that genre.

Alaska Stone is the girl that Styx has been crushing on for years at school. She has never really noticed him or paid him any attention. He knows that she is way out of his league. Things change when he is at his regular chemo session and she walks through the doors.

"The girl I've loved since the fifth grade just walked into my chemo session, and I feel as if my whole w
TheSassyNerdBlog
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am at a loss for words. My heart. My poor fucking heart. I knew this book was going to be an ugly-cry but fuck me... I am speechless.

Carmen Jenner has talent, that is no secret... and this book just shows you a prime example of that talent. It was flawless, it was gut-wrenching, it was heart shatteringly good. I went into this book blind in a sense. I knew what it was about because of the blurb but nothing prepared me for the flood of emotions that came my way. I was a mess throughout the book
Grace
Aug 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.25 Stars

Cancer.
It sucks.
We all know this.
So, it is best to know going into this book what you are getting - two young teens fighting for their lives.

Styx Hendricks and Alaska Stone have very different views on handling their diagnosis. Styx is a bit flippant about it, cracking jokes about death, while Arizona is just trying to get thru treatment as her world has been upended. So, they don't connect initially. Not for Styx's lack of trying.

The girl I've loved since the fifth grade just walked i
✰  BJ's Book Blog ✰Janeane ✰
ARC received from author for an honest review

Now, I am an old fart, so I don't really read much YA anymore, however this is a Carmen Jenner story, so it is a no brainer that I am going to read it.

The subject matter is not the easiest to read - F&ck Cancer and all that. However I was completely drawn into Styx and Alaska's story, and I ended up reading this book in one night.

Now, I know that the subject matter of this story is not going to be for everyone. I tackles heartbreaking subjects, and yo
Lisa Mandina
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So I was unsure how a YA book by Carmen Jenner would be, since I have known and loved her adult romance books. But I had no need to worry, because this one grabbed me from the start. I'd like to compare it to The Fault in Our Stars, but since the characters themselves name that book and one of them kind of calls it out, I feel like I shouldn't. LOL! Okay, yeah, maybe I shouldn't have an LOL in a review of a book about kids with cancer, but as I loved in the author's other books, her sense of hu ...more
Rebecca
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I knew headed into Carmen Jenner’s newest release that my emotions were going to be put through the ringer, but what I also knew was that I would be a better person for reading it and that I would meet two dynamic and amazing young adults who would teach me lessons that only people like Styx Hendricks and Alaska Stone could teach and that even though there truly only seemed to be one outcome for these two, their journey of friendship and love is not to be missed, regardless of the many tears tha ...more
Amazeballs Book Addicts
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I hadn't read anything but Carmen Jenner before this one so I didn't know what to except. I loved loved this one. It's definitely going to be one of my top favorite read for this year. It has a unique story line. I loved Styx Hendricks and Alaska Stone. They are amazing characters. They are both battling cancer as teens. Styx and Alaska know each other from school but before running into each other at chemo that hadn't talked before. It's tough for them. Styx has a great personality and deals wi ...more
Sakshi *the bookish romantic*
We all have read it before: Two characters, either one or both suffering from a terminal illness, fall in love and actually serve a dual purpose: learn to live a short life to the fullest and preserve that essence of life after death.

Romance novels with terminal sickness automatically creates an aura of dismay and morbidity overwhelmed by a life-threatening prognosis. Love, when it comes, eases pains of sickness and helps seeing the world and life altogether in a brighter light. While reading su
Courtney
Shelves: arc
WOW!!!  I knew going into this book my heart would be wrecked.  But you can't ever prepare yourself for the magnitude of it when Carmen Jenner writes the story.

Styx & Stones will not be a read for everyone.  And Carmen lets readers know that before you start the story, So heed her warning.  And if you are brave enough, grab some tissues and a bottle of wine and prepare for an onslaught of emotions.

This book is written from both Styx and Stones POV and is just really drives home the nature of thi
2OCC Reviews
Shelves: gemma
There are not enough words to convey to readers how amazing this story was from start to finish. I thought reading this author's previous novel Harley and Rose I would be prepared for the ugly cry storyline of this book. But boy was I wrong because it did not stop me from ugly crying throughout the story and my heart constantly breaking. This was a completely beautiful, gut wrewchning, emotional and amazing stroy written by this amazing author. Carmen Jenner knows how to delve into your emotions ...more
Sofia Lazaridou
Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Styx & Stones is a stand-alone novel by Carmen Jenne. Styx appeared in Harley & Rose and Haley appears in this book, but it was so brief that it doesn't really matter. He was just a passing character.

I cannot be mad with the ending we got. We were promised nothing more. And it can be considered a happy ending, but not in the traditional sense. I don't want to go into more details, so I will leave it to that. I will reveal that the heroine's name is Alaska Stone and Styx calls her Stones because
Natasha
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Where do I even begin with this book?!
Styx Hendricks has had a crush on Alaska Stone for years, from afar. But Alaska never noticed him, not until she walked into his chemo session.
This book is about two teenagers who are just trying to live while dying. They want to be just normal teens, just for a little while- before their cancer claims them. I fell in love with Styx from the very first page. This book was heartbreakingly beautiful. It punched me right in the feels, and made me cry. But it ma
Samantha I Love HEA Romance Book Blog
Wow......Just wow... This book....phhewww.. *tears forming...again!!!*
This book is a beautiful, heart-aching, masterpiece. This mature YA novel is not your typical romance and I think that's one of the things that makes it stand out even more. My heart is breaking!!! I bawled my eyes out while reading, so definitely keep those tissues handy.

Styx and Stones are soul mates, through and through. I loved watching them grow as characters together. I loved how fiercely they felt for each other, what
Monique
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have been intrigued by Styx when we first met him in Harley & Rose with his cocky teen attitude, so I was eager to read his full story. I just knew that for all the things Styx had experienced, he would be very passionate about Stones and it would pack a huge punch to read their tale.

This was an epic novel depicting all the angst of a teen romance with the added dilemma of them both having cancer. It’s Styx’s second time having chemo and Stones's first, so he takes her under his wing to expla
Michelle Claypot_Reads
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What is it with me and crying books lately! This one had me crying so hard I woke my husband and might have sent the author rambling tear filled messages.

Styx and Alaska - two YA characters that grabbed hold of my heart and squeezed it until the very end. This one is raw and funny and heartbreakingly sad. Just like in life not every love story gets a happy ending but holy hell is the journey worth it.

Definitely recommend if you need a good cry.

I received an arc of this book.
Reading with 2 book lovers
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This story really made me feel things. My heart broke, I cried and laughed and swooned. Highly recommend this story
Jennifer Juers
Apr 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Just what I was looking to read! I have moments where I want to read sad books. Maybe it's the "life isn't so bad" type of feeling, but whatever it is it worked!!
Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten)
Avidez Literaria
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“What are you staring at?”
“I’m staring at my fucking future, Stones."

Cancer. Six letters. Such a small word, but it carries a huge burden. Styx Hendricks at the tender age of seventeen knows this very well. Having faced this situation in the past, he is facing another round of chemotherapy to try to prolong his life, which is on the brink because a recurrent cancer. His sarcasm is the way he found to deal with everything that is going on. After all, accepting the fact that your future perspect
Sarah Dale
O.M.F.G what has Carmen Jenner done to me! If I thought I was destroyed after reading Harley & Rose then I was wrong as this one has completely broken me.

This book is not for the faint hearted, if your expecting a HEA then this probably isn't the one for you. If you like a good ugly cry, one that will make you want alcohol, tissues and Ben & Jerry's then this is for you.

I normally avoid cancer books as this hits too close to home after losing my dad to cancer but I accidently read Harley & Rose
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• You for Her (The Edge of Retaliation, #2)
  • Then and Now (The Edge of Retaliation #3)
  • Love Drunk (Love Me Duet #1)
  • This for That (The Edge of Retaliation, #1)
  • Beauty and the Badge (Charlotte's Cove #1)
  • Blindsided
  • Bad For Me
  • Between Now and Forever (Forever Trilogy, #1)
  • Hate Crush
  • Closer (Stage Dive, #4.6)
  • Play with Me (Diamond in the Rough #1)
  • Stealing Her (Covet, #1)
  • Outmatched
  • Madman's Method (Madman Duet, #1)
  • Man Cuffed (Man Hands #4)
  • Fallen Saint (All The Pretty Things, #2)
  • Trying to Score (Hot Jocks, #3)
  • Desperate to Touch (Hard to Love #2)
Carmen Jenner is a USA Today and international bestselling author.

A hardcore red lipstick addict and a romantic at heart, Carmen enjoys books—duh!—long walks through Sephora, tattooed boys, and eyeliner so sharp it could kill a man. She lives in small-town, Australia, where she wrangles her two children, a French Bulldog named Busy, her Jungle Jag Python named Bunny, and her very own manchild.

Carm