Start by marking “The Witches of Willow Cove” as Want to Read:
The Witches of Willow Cove

The Witches of Willow Cove

Its not easy being a teenage witch. Seventh grader Abby Shepherd is just getting the hang of it when weird stuff starts happening all around her hometown of Willow Cove. Green slime bubbling to life in science class. Giant snakes slithering around the middle school gym. Her best friend suddenly keeping secrets and telling lies.

Things only begin to make sense when a
Expected publication: May 26th 2020 by Owl Hollow Press (first published 2020)

To ask other readers questions about The Witches of Willow Cove, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Witches of Willow Cove

Start your review of The Witches of Willow Cove
Rebecca M
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Witches of Willow Cove is my FAVORITE middle grade novel of the year! Filled with magic, daring, danger, and a *ton* of heart, this story will captivate readers and keep them cheering as Abby and her friends work to solve the mystery that's been haunting Willow Cove for centuries. It's the perfect spooky middle grade novel for kids who like reading about friendship and witchy mysteries. What I truly appreciate about this book is that there is a place for both magical and nonmagical kids to ...more
Rajiv
Mar 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A big thank you to NetGalley and Owl Hollow Press for providing me an advanced readers copy of The Witches of Willow Cove by Josh Roberts.

This was such a fun story to read! It is the perfect middle grade novel (that can even pass off as YA) if you are in the mood to read a good Halloween like story about witches. All the characters are distinctive, funny and interesting in their own manner. Amethyst turned out to be my favorite character even though I didnt like her in the beginning. The
Stacy Alfano
Mar 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just received an eARC of this book and I loved it! MG and YA alike will enjoy this mystery full of suspense, friendship, history, betrayal and magic. The flow of the story made it hard to put down! Definitely one to recommend to young readers who enjoy this subject matter and genre!
Daphne Jones
Mar 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes you find the right book at the right moment and it's just pure magic. That was my experience with The Witches of Willow Cove, a spooky supernatural mystery that straddles the line between middle grade and young adult. More than anything, it reminded me of my favorite bits from the first 3-4 Harry Potter books (without being too similar) and more recently of City of Ghosts by Victoria Schwab. The perfect combination of magical adventure and spooky ghost story.

One of things I loved most
Lea
Mar 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thank you Net Galley for the opportunity to review this book.

This is about young witches who have recently discovered their powers, their friends, and a teacher who is also a witch with a secret. It's a super cute middle grade that will also appeal to YA readers as well. It has a little of everything and I really enjoyed it!

I love how all the characters hold their own and have relatable issues while dealing with supernatural ones. They also explore a centuries old mystery connected to the Salem
J.D. DeHart
Mar 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Josh Roberts give us a book that has interesting characters and its own world. As a former middle school teacher, I would have gladly shared this book with my students. I love the creativity and fantasy elements, so infused in a story that works well.
MK Mahoney
Feb 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Josh Roberts novel The Witches of Willow Cove is an entertaining and cleverly crafted middle-grade novel with a range of appealing characters.

Abby Shepherd and Robby OReilly have just turned thirteen, and are wrestling with ordinary dilemmas (friendships, bullies, and romantic feelings) as well as less usual ones (a centuries-old mystery connected to the Massachusetts witch trials and Abbys discovery that shes actually a witch). Abby and Robby are surrounded by a cast of minor charactersboth
Laura Cooper
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is such a well-written book with the perfect amount of magic, spookiness, and betrayal woven in. I wholeheartedly recommend it!
Molly
Mar 23, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Firstly, thanks to Netgalley, Owl Hollow Press, and Josh Roberts for the eARC of this book!

Please take this review with a grain of salt, because I dont actively read a lot middle grade fiction, so the measuring point that I put this book at was alongside the other middle grade books Ive read recentlyHarry Potter, Percy Jackson, Animorphs, Warrior Cats all extremely popular and well-received. Im not very familiar with your average joe middle grade fiction, so maybe this book does deserve a
Melanie Wood
Mar 31, 2020 rated it liked it
The dramatic opening chapter of The Witches of Willow Cove by debut novelist Josh Roberts plunges the reader directly into a world of magic, mystery, and secrets.

Chased off a clifftop one Halloween night, thirteen-year-old Abby Shepherd discovers she can fly. Shes not alone: five of her classmates also evolve witchy powers. The fledgling coven learn magic under the guidance of their mysterious history teacher Miss Winters, but as teenagers they must also navigate first crushes, petty jealousies,
Jess Readit
Mar 26, 2020 rated it liked it
I have been fighting with myself to find the right word to describe how the book makes me feel and after two reads I believe "Wholesome" is the right word. I have read so many genres and sometimes its nice when a book is sweet and innocent. In the Whispering Hills we see the bonds of friendship being forged and changed, families struggling to cope as memories resurface and the reminder that purity and naivety aren't so bad. It really is almost a "coming of age" moment where all our characters ...more
Kirsti Call
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Abby hesitated. How could she be a witch and not even know it? That didn't seem like the kind of thing that just happened to you one day."

THE WITCHES OF WILLOW COVE is a fast paced, engaging middle grade filled with mystery. The teen relationships are authentic and interesting. This is the kind of book that keeps the reader guessing, turning the page, and eager for more long after they've finished reading.
Darby Karchut
Mar 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank you, NetGalley and Owl Hollow Press, for the advanced readers copy of THE WITCHES OF WILLOW COVER by Josh Roberts.

Talk about one wild ride of an adventure! With an engaging ensemble of characters, laugh out-loud humor, thrills and chills galore, and loads of relatable young teen angst, this story will make readers wish they had supernatural powers of their own. Fans of Harry Potter have a new series to fall head-over-broomstick in love with.

Nolly Rnc
Mar 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for providing me with this book.

I absolutely loved it. The characters were great and I enjoyed that boys were involved in it. Though I wish we could have seen a little bit more of Daisy and Delphi, they were quirky and fun but not as present as the others. Piper could also have used more space in the story. Other than that I feel like the book was well-balanced, well paced. I'll have to admit I was never bored ! It was filled with magic and friendship : a
Sarah Pascarella
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An engrossing page-turner that will appeal to young readers and grown-ups alike! Roberts creates a vivid world with unexpected twists and just the right mix of magic and all-too-real everyday pathos. I immediately connected with his heroine, Abby, and can't wait to see where her journey takes her next.
Marti Johnson
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Teenagers, crushes, jealousy, pranks, rivalries, and mean girls sound like a typical middle school? Add a witches coven and some mysteriously dark town history and you start to get a picture of Willow Cove and what may have come between Abby and her best friend, Robby.

Abby and Robby are just friends. But as Robbys dad tells him"Being there for each other, being part of each others lives through all the ups and downs theres no 'just' about that. Its everything.

And this story has its share of
Cori DeVerse
Mar 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-releases
* I received a copy of book this from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. *

"Often there are no good choices. Only good intentions"

I really liked this middle grade novel! It was a quick read that really dove headfirst into the story and kept you in it until the end.

I really enjoyed how this story included boys in a way that many stories about young witches don't. Robby was a really nice character who you rooted for. Similarly, you were pushing for all of the kids to come out of
Michelle Gersbach
Apr 01, 2020 rated it liked it
The Witches of Willow Cove is the perfect middle grade read for fantasy lovers. From the first chapter, readers will find themselves lost in the tale as main character Abby turns thirteen and discovers she isn't ordinary. Even as an adult reader I found myself itching to get to the next chapter to see what other crazy things Abby and her friends would encounter.

The Witches of Willow Cove is darker than the first few pages might suggest but for the most part Roberts is able to strike a balance
Lea
Mar 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank you Net Galley for the opportunity to review this book.

Eric Griffith
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I was a lucky first reader on this book back in its first permutations and it was great even before it reached its final form which is coming our way in 2020. This is a tale that is going to thrill readers from middle-grade up through adults in a way Harry Potter and Eragon and others have done, hopefully with many a sequel to come.
Josh
Jul 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Lorien Lawrence
Jen Petro-Roy
Mar 23, 2020
Jason Clark
Nov 22, 2019

• Small Spaces (Small Spaces, #1)
  • Something is Killing the Children Vol. 1
  • Cat's Cafe: A Comics Collection
  • You do You: Proud to Be Fabulous
  • The Dispatcher
  • A Short History of Nearly Everything
  • Song of the Abyss (Tower of Winds, #2)
  • Red Rising (Red Rising Saga, #1)
  • The Only Black Girls in Town
  • Only Mostly Devastated
  • Coo
  • Mooncakes
  • From the Desk of Zoe Washington
  • Double vie (Rose #1)
  • The Blue Witch (The Witches of Orkney #1)
  • The Naked Face
  • End of Days: Predictions and Prophecies About the End of the World
  • The Battle of the Labyrinth (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #4)
An award-winning travel writer and editor, Josh Roberts has written for publications as varied as USA Today, The Boston Globe, and Business Insider. These days, Josh writes the kind of middle-grade and young adult novels he always enjoyed when he was a kid growing up in a spooky Victorian funeral home. His debut novel, THE WITCHES OF WILLOW COVE, will be published Summer 2020 by Owl Hollow Press.