Start by marking “Maybe This Christmas” as Want to Read:
Maybe This Christmas

Maybe This Christmas

Two best friends. Ten Christmases. One happy ending.

When best friends Alexandra and Lucas share a first kiss on Christmas night their senior year of high school, it feels like the best years of their lives are ahead of them.

Then Alex goes off to college, and Lucas stays behind to work at his dad’s construction business in the small beach town where they grew up. Life, as
Published October 22nd 2019 by Haver Street Press

To ask other readers questions about Maybe This Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Maybe This Christmas

Start your review of Maybe This Christmas
Danielle's
Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Alex and Lucas were best friends for years. Both feelings the spark of something more. Maybe this Christmas is the ten years of them figuring it out. Their families are intertwined and so are their friends. It doesn’t matter the distance these two try to stay close.

This is a sweet story about realising you can’t run away from fate.

#competition win
aarya
Mixed feelings here. I liked the writing and concept (ten chapters cover the ten different Christmases, starting from senior year of high school), but the execution didn’t quite work for me. We hear so much about what happens the rest of the year (so many parental infidelities and relationship changes), but something seemed missing?

I understand that that the MCs have a once-in-a-lifetime friendship/love, but I never quite felt it. The beginning of each chapter always caught up on the seismic li
Susannah Nix
Oct 22, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: authored-by-me

It's heeeeeere!!! Maybe This Christmas is AVAILABLE NOW for only 99¢!

Who's excited to read this holiday romance? I can't believe it's taken me this long to write a best friends-to-lovers book, because it's one of my favorite tropes.

​The story starts in 2010 when the two main characters are in their senior year of high school. I had do some research to remind myself what the world was like ten years ago and to imagine what it must have felt like to graduate from high school that year. A LOT has c
Bex | TotallyBex.com
★★ 4.5 stars! ★★

Maybe This Christmas is the perfect title for this holiday-themed novella. It essentially takes 10 Christmases for Alexandra and Lucas to go from best friends to more-than-friends, grow apart, and finally, come back together again. Every chapter starts with a new Christmas and I kept hoping that maybe this one would be the one where they got it all together.

There's so much packed into just over 100 pages—friendship, sacrifice, patience, turmoil, life-changing decisions, and final
Rebecca Hunter
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Maybe This Christmas has just what I want from a holiday romance! We get Alex and Lucas's love story in episodes, once a year. They start on the night they move from friend to lovers...but that doesn't last, so they go back to being friends-ish. What follows is a sweet and emotional story of self-discovery, especially on Alex's part. Each year, life takes a new turn, adding a new layer of complexity to them and their relationship. It's a story of true love and of a relationship that helps weathe ...more
Leigh Kramer
This was a fun Christmas romance novella! It takes place over the course of 10 Christmases. Alex and Lucas are best friends and everything changes when they kiss the Christmas of their senior year of high school. Each Christmas vignette takes us through their relationship and the years apart, as well as how their respective families change.

They date other people, which includes Alex coming out as bi. (I’m interested in seeing what bi reviewers have to say about the representation.) They break u
Marika Ray
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm a sucker for YA type books, so the beginning of this fresh novella of Susannah's hooked me right from the start! The story line and the characters progressed in ways that are out of the box for romance in general which made my adult romance reading heart happy too. If you're ready for more than the cookie-cutter Hallmark Christmas story line, give Maybe This Christmas a read and become a huge Susannah Nix fan like me!!
Rochelle
Jan 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was such a cute story that spans over 10 Christmases. Alex and Lucas have been friends forever but when they tried a relationship it didn’t work out due to distance. They spend the next 9 Christmases trying to move on and be friends but something always pulls them back. Loved this sweet second chance romance and I am not a big fan of sweet romances but this one had my heart.

Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Maybe this Christmas...they’ll finally get it right!

This is an absolute gem of a story – a sweet second-chance, friends-to-lovers romance spanning a decade!

Alexandra and Lucas were friends FOREVER. Best friends! At the beginning of the story, we meet them over the Christmas holiday of their senior year of high school. Over the course of this heart-warming tale, their relationship evolves into high school sweethearts, to estranged friends, and ultimately to the HEA you just KNEW they could get t
Magie
Jan 07, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've giving this a three star because objectively I know it's good, but it just didn't hit me the way I think it was supposed to. I love Susannah's works and the writing in this is as on par as it is in her other books, but for some reason I just was not as caught up in the romance and the characters. I think it's the trope to be fair, I've only read a handful of stories like this where the couple goes back and forth with being "on" but someone always still has lingering feelings and I've always ...more
Tonya Stinnett
Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. I love how this author was able to put ten plus years on this book and make it all make since and not feel like anything was left out.
It all starts out the year Alex and Lucas are set to graduate and start to date. Then goes through ten years of many ups and downs?
The thing is are they strong enough to make it through? Do they meet other people? Are that able to keep the the same friendship?

This is just a book that you need to read to see what all happens and how life can ch
Kellie
Dec 23, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable the only reason that it doesn't get 4 stars is that it was too short. I just felt like to much happened between every year that wasn't explained enough.
Jeny Carlson
Mar 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had the honor of being a sensitively reader for this book and was deeply impressed with the thoughtfulness around the experiences of bisexual women and that romance can come in many ways. This story also has the nostalgia of “Same Time, Next Year”, which was my favorite romance film growing up.
Shruti
Nov 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.5 rounded up; this was cute! Pretty much what I expected although not quite Christmas-y but definitely very friends to lovers angsty.
Ann
Dec 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 rounded up.

This book is about 2 friends and their relationship over a period of ten years. Lucas and Alex go through changes as each chapter advances by exactly 1 year. Interesting and a fast read.
Prerana
Nov 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
What a cute novella! Obviously, it would be considerably better if it was a full-length novel, but I nonetheless loved how adorable it was and the whole concept of the Christmas thing. It really was very, very cute.

And I'm out.
Becca
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-ebook
Quick, cute read. Like many novellas, I wanted more story but was satisfied with the telling and the way it ended.
Tina
Nov 27, 2019 rated it did not like it
I did not care about this couple. The story was predictable in a boring way. I’ve read stories with the ending revealed, and was still invested to know how the characters ended up there but not these two.
Babel
I have fallen in love with this cover. It's the perfect face for this seasonal treat.

Short and cute, this little romance starts with two friends celebrating a party at the beach in their quaint town. I loved the moment they close the gap and seal their hidden feelings with a kiss. That happens at the beginninig so of course there's going to be some upheaval to cross the would-be lovers. Sadly, they grow apart.

I confess I had a hard time accepting the reason. It seemed reasonable, but how can yo
Anna
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs, kindle-reads
I am so glad to have received an ARC of this book, even though I'm putting my review up so late.

While I’m not a Grinch, I just don’t get excited about Christmas till the holidays are really close. And yet, this book was everything I wanted. It was too short, though. Because I would have loved to see more of Alex and Lucas’ relationship over the years. I feel like if Susannah builds this into a full book, I would drop everything just to soak it up.

I love how relatable the whole story is, because
Brandy Hensley
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
***I obtained an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I love Susannah Nix. I really feel like I can't say that enough. You know how you have that list of authors you anxiously await new releases from? She is near the top of mine.

This adorable story didn't disappoint. It follows Alex and Lucas from their last year in high school through college graduation and young adulthood, taking place on Christmas Day each year. You would think that would be a limited scope, but the characters w
Merry Jelks-Emmanuel
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This small town romance will definitely grab you attention. It is descriptive and well written about two high school friends who share a kiss on Christmas and return each year to celebrate that first kiss. Alexandra was destined for college while Lucas remained in town to work for his father. Each year that they celebrate marks a change in their lives but will it be enough for these two to find closure and move to a happily ever after with each other or will they remain in the same dormant state ...more
Jill Hart
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this Christmas novella! It was the perfect read to put me in the Christmas spirit. Nix is such a masterful storyteller that even her novellas bring out the full range of emotions - hope, joy, sadness, longing, and then back to hope. This is one sleigh ride you'll want to take this Christmas season! ;)
Heidi J.
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love small town romances - I particularly love second-chances - and this has both in one delicious, can’t-put-it-down holiday novella. Nix has such a gift of psychological insight: the jokes that aren’t jokes, why we say Yes when sometimes we mean No, and why we sometimes say No when we really want to say Yes. An absolute gem.
I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Lene Norway
Shelves: reviews
WOW! I am still crying, both sad and happy tears. This is the sweetest, most agonising and heartwarming romance I have ever read. And what a beautiful and intriguing way to tell the story. I am in awe to this author and her ability to captivate the reader from the first letter and right through to the end.

I voluntarily reviewed an Advanced Readers Copy of this book.
Brenda Brown
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this. I loved Alex and Lucas both together and apart, and I honestly can't believe how well I felt like I knew them within a novella! If they could move in next door, I think we'd all be friends. Just saying. Also, the romance is slow burn (my favorite) and so so sweet.
Kimberly Lund
Oct 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Seriously fun read. It started a little slow with the high school bits and as a novella, it’s almost too short to get connected with the characters but if you’re looking for fun and light and happy with a bit of Christmas mixed in, this is your book!
Céline NARICADOU
I like the fact that each chapter is one year, one christmas.
The book is short so the story is effective. I'd like more details on what happen during each year and about the secondary characters.
I was a nice short read before Christmas.
Carey S.
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alex and Lucas are best friends in high school, when they start dating. They stay together until Alex leaves for college, while Lucas stays home to work for his dad and attend community college. Lucas sets her free, and Alex doesn’t think twice about it, because she’s ready to experience all that college has to offer. Their group of friends gets together every Christmas holiday to have a bonfire at the beach and catch up. Some years are awkward, while others are better. There are some good frien ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Christmas in the City
  • Crime and Periodicals (Green Valley Library #2)
  • Shelf Awareness (Green Valley Library, #4)
  • Stud Muffin (Donner Bakery, #2)
  • Prose Before Bros (Green Valley Library, #3)
  • My Bare Lady (Scorned Women's Society, #1)
  • Geektastic (Dorky Duet Book 2)
  • If You Give A Jerk A Gingerbread (Reindeer Falls, #2)
  • No Whisk No Reward (Donner Bakery, #3)
  • Sticking to the Script (Cipher Office #2)
  • Love in Due Time (Green Valley Library, #1)
  • Beef Cake (Donner Baker, #4)
  • Cutie and the Beast (Cipher Office, #3)
  • The One Night Stand Before Christmas (Reindeer Falls, #3)
  • Code of Conduct (Cipher Security, #1)
  • The Boss Who Stole Christmas (Reindeer Falls, #1)
  • Faking Under the Mistletoe
  • Weight Expectations (Cipher Office, #1)
Susannah Nix is an award-winning and USA Today bestselling author who lives in Texas with her husband, two ornery cats, and a flatulent pit bull. When she’s not writing swoony, relatable romances, she enjoys reading, cooking, knitting, and watching British mysteries on TV. She is also a powerlifter who can deadlift as much as Captain America weighs.

Join Susannah's mailing list for the latest upda