Start by marking “Don't Close Your Eyes” as Want to Read:
Don't Close Your Eyes

Don't Close Your Eyes

Nestled on the shores of Lake Erie, the small town of Port Ariel, Ohio, is a welcome haven for Natalie St. John. Back home for the first time in years, she plans to visit old friends, mend a broken heart, and take a break from her busy veterinarian practice. But her peace is shattered her first night back, when she discovers the murdered body of her friend, Tamara Peyton.

W
Published November 15th 2000 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Don't Close Your Eyes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Close Your Eyes

Heather *Awkward Queen and Unicorn Twin*
I liked this at first, but in the last third it started to drag. It was a bit dated, with many of the female characters wearing slacks, pearls, and pastels. The setting was good, and I thought the characters were well-drawn. 2.5 stars.
Judy Tolley
Jul 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
I am not typically a mystery book reader but I really enjoyed this book. It was scary in parts and while I had a small clue who the murderer was, there were others I suspected more. So when the end came, I was still surprised. Ms. Thompson has a true gift to keep the reader entranced and I could visualize everyone and every place Our main character, Natalie, goes to her small hometown where the twin sister of her best friend is killed. As the story continues and more people are murdered, Natalie ...more
🌸Natasha🌸
May 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Love this author!!
Plum-crazy
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
A decent suspense story with plenty of red herrings to leave you wondering who the killer is, though I would have liked a bit more romance between the two main characters, Natalie & Nick.

I quite liked the character of Nick's daughter Paige who, with her friend Jimmy attempt to solve the killings. All in all an enjoyable read & will look out for more by this writer.
Courtney
Apr 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
I take my mysteries and my suspense novels with a grain of salt. I have to suspend belief because a lot of is much like TV and just not realistic. My biggest gripe was that any NORMAL female who gets a phone call from somebody claiming to be her friend that was just murdered the other day and who quotes the note left on the body would be calling the cops. But she just shrugs it off as nothing and moves on with her day.

Overall, it wasn't a bad book, but not anything real memorable.
Ariel
Aug 13, 2011 rated it liked it
I liked it , more than I thought I would honestly and I'll probably read more books by this author ( especially since she's from WV! ) . It was missing that something that makes me super excited about a book though , so three stars is all it gets .
Red
May 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of my top favorites, and a very nice happy accident. This book caught by eye by cover alone like many, but actually had good turns, twists, and touches that made it memorable to me. It's one of the books I am absolutely seeking to replace after losing and will be rereading once I have it in my collection again.
Juniper
Sep 26, 2018 rated it liked it
A good suspense but a really awful translation ! I still wonder how the publisher accepted to publish this... I'll try and find the English version of this novel.
Kimberly Suggs
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
This one wasn't bad, it kept me drawn in from the beginning all the way to the end. I will be reading more from her for sure. There were a lot of people that could have been the murderer and I think that she set it up perfectly in the end. I think my favorite characters were the kids in the book, that were trying to solve the mystery.
Charissa Wilkinson
May 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thrillers, other
Overview: Natalie St. John has rushed home after a fight with her boyfriend. She is looking forward to just spending time with her friends. And then the murders begin starting. First up is Tamara Hunt, one of Natalie’s oldest friends. How many will die before the killer gets caught? There’s one thing that Natalie can be positive about, maybe two. These phone calls don’t bode well for her. And there’s nothing that’ll keep her in Port Ariel. Not her dad, not Lilly, and definitely not that cute she ...more
Lucy
May 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
I was really, really enjoying this book . . . right up until the ending. The ending isn't awful, merely annoying; the main character absolutely will not stop leaving the police out of a police investigation. And, honestly, it's hard to take the romance between her and the lead detective seriously when she keeps doing such foolish, disrespectful things.
(view spoiler)
Jul 02, 2012 rated it did not like it
I had not read anything by this author and decided to give her a try, and i probably won't again. Perhaps it was just this book, but every adult character except the two main were obnoxious, whiny and without true depth. The over abundance of suspects became tiresome, especially when the clues for the true murderer came out halfway through. The worse part, however, was the stilted and strange dialogue between characters. These conversations were supposed to give us background, but it became a st ...more
Melissa
Nov 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-read-2006
Book #5 read in 2006

I was very pleased with this book. I picked this up at a library sale never having heard of Carlene Thompson before. I am glad I did. The story was well-written and it kept me guessing for most of the book! I also picked up another of Thompson's books the same day, and I can't wait to read it as well.
Nicole
Jun 29, 2008 rated it it was ok
Eh, A so-so book. Not really worth reading. Took me forever to get through it because the dialogue was too unrealistic. Thought it could have had potential and it initially sparked my interest with the promise of a good mystery, but the characters were not quite developed and the story line looked like it was going one way, and then just completely shut off.
Lisa Kinard
Apr 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very Very Good Suspense!

This book kept me going. It did not disappoint. Great storyline and characters. You will be shocked at the end. Trust me!
I recommend this book highly. Natalie goes home for vacation and gets more than she ever thought. I will read more of Carlene's books.
Alex
Apr 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. I've read it twice and was surprised by the killer both times. Very very good. It held my attention and I was reading into the early hours of the morning. There are some disturbing themes in a few parts but over all it was an awesome read.
Julian
Oct 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
As always, Carlene Thompson has done it again - each of her mysteries gets sicker and sicker and I mean that as a compliment!!! I never saw the conclusion of this mystery coming the way that it did! Highly recommended writer!
Happy reading!!!
Angel
Sep 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
I read this book in high school (it was given to me by my English teacher). I remember that I really liked it, that was probably due to the fact that the author is from WV. But it was also a good story. I need to read it again to see if I still like it....
Jamie
Jun 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I thought this book was really good.. i couldn't put it down, and finished it in two days... Scary how you think you know some people, and they turn out to be the complete opposite.
Peggy
Jul 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pretty Good Book
Tammy
Apr 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book, a great suspense filled thriller.
Marie
Sep 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
Great suspenseful mystery. Fans of Mary Higgins Clark will love this.
Carina
Mar 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was a really good book. I couldn't put it down. I couldn't believe who the killer was.
Misty (Reds Romance Reviews)
Jun 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Thrilling and suspenseful read, kept me guessing until the very end! Ms. Thompson is a master at her craft, highly recommend her books, they never disappoint!
Lori
Mar 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Cant go wrong with her books read when it first came out
Lauren Groseclose
Apr 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Love this native West Virginia writer! Though all of her books follow the same sort of plot, they never fail to attract my interest and scare me just the tiniest bit! Great book.
Kathy
Mar 15, 2012 rated it liked it
This is a complicated story but pretty good.
Doreen
Dec 20, 2013 rated it liked it
a good mystery till the very end!
Leslie
Jul 16, 2015
Adaluz
rated it it was ok
Mar 19, 2012
  • Blind Curve
  • Stolen in the Night
  • The Animal Hour
  • Evidence of Murder (Theresa MacLean #2)
  • Witness for the Defense (Kali O'Brien, #4)
  • As Good as Dead (Griffin Powell, #4)
  • Dying Breath
  • Skin and Bone (Dr. Anya Crichton, #3)
  • Now You Die
  • Garden of Darkness (Pale Immortal, #2)
  • The Echo of Violence (Sweet Justice, #3)
  • The Final Kill
Carlene Thompson is an author of suspense thriller novels.

Her first book, Black for Remembrance, was published in 1990 by Little, Brown and was well received. Her books are suspense novels, often with romantic elements and many take place in Thompson's home state of West Virginia. Her books often feature animals, which she bases on animals she knows in real life.