Start by marking “The Debriefing” as Want to Read:
The Debriefing

The Debriefing

International bestselling author Jeffery Deaver explores the borderline between lies and loyalty in a story of a brotherhood on the brink.

Kindle Edition
Published January 14th 2020 by Amazon Original Stories

To ask other readers questions about The Debriefing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Debriefing

Start your review of The Debriefing
Bill Lynas
Jan 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Here's a neat little short story from thriller writer Jeffery Deaver. The author packs plenty of action into this fast paced tale about a shoot out between the good guys & the bad guys & its aftermath.
As always Deaver slips in a lot of twists & turns & it's an entertaining diversion while I await his next novel.
Kay
Fantastic short story for thriller lovers. This one is about Mexican drug cartel and US - El Paso PD. Great characters, and good action.
Richard
Jan 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: prime-reading
For anyone who hasn’t read author Jeffrey Deaver in short story mode they are missing a treat.
The Debriefing is a case in point. A combined Police / DEA raid goes wrong just inside Mexico where he drug cartels prosper.
El Paso PD acted on a tip off and when long-standing detective Tony Wright hears about it he feels obliged to head out and offer support.
Outnumbered and pinned down something goes drastically wrong from Tony’s perspective and suddenly his presence there is questioned as he is
David Highton
Feb 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Clever plot in this story about a Mexican drug cartel
Ursula Johnson
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thrilling Short with Excellent Twists & Turns

This was my first book from this author. I love the Kindle singles since they give you an opportunity to sample an author's work without a large time commitment. This was a fantastic thriller with excellent twists and turns I did not see coming. A fast paced excellent short. I read this book using immersion reading while listening to the audio book. Scott Merriman did a wonderful job on the narration. I have a few other short stories from this
K
Feb 14, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars for a very entertaining short story. A rather nice plot twist caught me off guard, and only a rather weak ending prevented a higher rating.
Negan88
Jan 28, 2020 rated it liked it
This was fairly decent. At least for a short story. With that said I’m a fan of Deaver. It did make me want more of a story, but cleaver I suppose.
Andrew Tucker
Feb 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Nice little quick story. Audio book narrator voices for the characters was comical and annoying
Andrea Corley
This was a quick, unpredictable quick read that I was able to finish in one setting! Although short, the story was precise and thorough!

I enjoyed listening to The Debriefing!
Clark
Jan 31, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio-book
The story itself probably should be rated 4-Stars, but I’m not a big fan of short stories and feel this book would have been a lot better as a full-length novel where the characters and the story could have been more fully developed.
Mean Drake
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
How many more thrills and action can you pack into a less than 100 page novella?
Mindo'ermatter
Jan 17, 2020 rated it liked it
Great Twists and Surprising Finish

This was my first Jeffery Deaver novella, and it was a totally "blind" purchase when it was released. Not knowing what to expect and always distrustful of most short novella stories I took a gamble just to explore. Overall, I was not disappointed with the fast, action read.

The story focuses on two brothers, both detectives for the El Paso Police Department working to take down part of a Mexican drug cartel. Things go fast fast, starting the short but enjoyable
Gary
Feb 22, 2020 rated it liked it
A short story by author Jeffery Deaver. This author is one of the best at writing short stories that somehow pack so much detail in. This one is much the same and along with a few decent characters make an entertaining read.
In the wake of a disastrous firefight with a Mexican cartel, two El Paso police officers find themselves in a military hospital facing a debriefing about what went wrong. As their accounts unfold, Tony, a by-the-book cop, begins to believe that hotheaded Matt might have
Linda Jean
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant as usual

This is a fairly short book by Deaver but it has you gripped from the start. I certainly did not see the twist coming at the end although there was a sign which seemed at the time incongruous at the hospital. I will not say any more as it could spoil the ending.
Tere Fredericks
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
A Twist Out of Nowhere

Four stars for a Jeffery Deaver book? Am I out of my mind? No. Well, yes.

This book has characters you care about. It has intrigue. It has gunfights. It has everything I love about his books.

Except it is too short.

Way too short. As short as it is, it's exceptionally well written and exciting and that’s what a story should be.
Marie
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Deaver darkness at it's best!

A fantastic short story, Deaver writes intrigue like no-one else, short story or long novel the plot twists just keep corkscrewing on and on, over and over, leaving you exhilarated but dazed by the end.
To be able to read this on Kindle Unlimited is a gift, but even if you have to pay 99p for it you won't be disappointed, Deaver has delivered once again!
Linda
Two brothers survive a shootout with a cartel but Tony begins to believe that Matt was involved with the cartel and knew what was going to come down. As they wait together in a military hospital Tony thinks about asking his brother to tell him the truth but before he can some surprises walk in the door.

An interesting short story by one of my favorite authors.
Mary
Feb 09, 2020 rated it liked it
I have been a big fan of Deaver's books, so I thought I really enjoy this story. The story lacks Deaver's usual detailed descriptions and character development. This would make a good 60 minute TV show or one installment of s popular network series. I just prefer his novels with more multidimensional characters.
Corny
Jan 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thrillers
Fun to read but nothing special Typical Deaver with twists and turns until the denouement but barely credible. The action is fast and furious and the characters black and white but I still love reading these shorties.
Lisa
Jan 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Action, betrayal and lots of twists

Great short story about two brothers and a takedown gone wrong. Lots of action, a possible betrayal and a vicious killer add up to an entertaining thrill ride!
Jon
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was ok
Very simplistic and unbelievable at times. I want a short story to be more together.

there is more need to be accuratehis story may appeal to younger readers. Readers less sophisticated and knowledgeable about police actions.
Nancy Silk
Feb 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
"Great Short Story"

This is another suspenseful story by a superior author. It involves two brothers tasked to take out a drug lord, but something goes wrong. Very riveting from beginning to end. Love Deaver's stories!
Claire E. Harstad
Feb 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good book and holds your interest. A little unrealistic in places but still a good read.

It is a quick read but enjoyable. I have read the author before and enjoy him.i will look for other of his books.
PATRICIA BATES
Jan 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
The debroegong

First one of.his writing I've read and enjoyed. Many twist and turns and i.Look forward to reading more books. The Rhym series on TV just started and can't wait to watch it
Darcy
This one seemed straight forward as it started, but then it turned and you really weren't sure what was going on, which brother to believe. By the end you were glad that Tony didn't get to ask the question that came to his mind.
George Tillett
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Short enough that I couldn't put it down. An end you can't imagine.

I loved it. Read in one afternoon. Realistic characters. Much suspense. Jeffery is an artist with words.I highly recommend this book.
P.J. Bartlett
Feb 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
A riveting short story

A fast-paced story that keeps you guessing and interested. Characters in the story are believable. Jeffrey Deaver always tells a good story.
Gaylyn Hutchins
Feb 14, 2020 rated it did not like it
What is this????

I was excited to start a new Deaver! Just getting into it and POOF! It was over. This was not even a short story, it was more a paragraph!
Matt English
Feb 07, 2020 rated it liked it
Far from Deavers' best.
Debbie Mcnally
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wish it would have been longer. Plenty of Action and suspense. Great short listen for a drive or bus ride.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Praying Mantis Bride (Nameless #3)
  • Red Rain (Nameless #4)
  • The Mercy of Snakes (Nameless #5)
  • Memories of Tomorrow (Nameless #6)
  • Photographing the Dead (Nameless #2)
  • In the Heart of the Fire (Nameless #1)
  • The Names of the Dead
  • Lost Hills (Eve Ronin #1)
  • The Unknown (Jonathan Quinn #14)
  • A Killer's Wife (Desert Plains, #1)
  • The Museum of Desire (Alex Delaware, #35)
  • Lost
  • A Cold Trail (Tracy Crosswhite, #7)
  • Thief River Falls
  • First Blood (series prequel)
  • Deep State (Bear Logan #4)
  • The Raid (Ryan Decker #2)
  • The Toybreaker (Dr Hannah Nightingale, #1)
#1 international bestselling author of over thirty novels and three collections of short stories. His books are sold in 150 countries and translated into 25 languages. His first novel featuring Lincoln Rhyme, The Bone Collector, was made into a major motion picture starring Denzel Washington and Angelina Jolie. He's received or been shortlisted for a number of awards around the world.