Start by marking “Life 101 : Everything We Wish We Had Learned About Life in School -- But Didn't (The Life 101 Series)” as Want to Read:

With quotes from Aristotle to Mae West, this acclaimed common-sense narrative helps to make up for lost time in the classroom of life.
Published November 30th 2000 by Mary Book / Prelude Pr (first published April 1990)

Start your review of Life 101 : Everything We Wish We Had Learned About Life in School -- But Didn't (The Life 101 Series)
Chris
Mar 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I was surprised that there actually WAS a book with this title out there. And it's chock full of humorous, serious and altogether too true tips to live a better life and avoid the most common mistakes. Everyone should be handed a copy of it at age 18. Of course, most wouldn't begin to understand (or believe) a lot of the contents until at least 25 or 30. lol
Ricardo
Jul 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I found this book literally in the garbage. My grandma cleaned out a bunch of old books from my aunt's house and was going to throw them away so she brought them by to see if there was anything I'd like. The only one that stuck out was this book. It was very obviously a self-help book and I was depressed at the time (sophomore year of high school so who isn't depressed and religion didn't help, which is when my atheism also came about). I figured I'd give it a shot and a lot of it make sense.

Charmin
Jan 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: growth
Highlights:
1. If they are not definite steps on the way to your goals, theyre distractions.

2. Health is the amount of loving energy flowing through the being. The more loving, the greater the health.

3. Wealth is what you can do without. Wealth is contentment, joy, balance, equanimity, inner peace.Wealth is enjoying ones own company. Wealth is being able to love oneself fully.

4. When we learn to give ourselves so fully that our cup overflows, then we may be called to be of service. Service is
Rob
Oct 23, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
One of my Top Three favorite books.
John
Aug 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: all-time-greats
Very interesting and insightful book. It shares some of the insights and tools about life that are very worthwhile. Have you ever pondered WHY LIFE? Insights such as, we are here to learn and do. OK, not earth-shattering, but read it for yourself. It is a great gift for a high school or college graduate.
Kelli
Sep 29, 2012 added it
I just skimmed this book. It has lots of good quotes from famous people/philosophers and so on. It could be a good book for someone who's not already an expert on life, the universe, and everything, like me.
Margerita donithorne
Aug 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I have learned so much about myself from this book. It has helped me accept myself for who I am, and to stop trying to please everyone else.
Aaron
Jul 12, 2007 rated it did not like it
Picked this up from the used paperback store because it looked interesting. It was, but just barely. If I were to write such a book, maybe I could do a better job?
Robert Royal
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really love this book. It's like a breakdown of different Pilar's in life that anybody may go through and gives you a different more humbling way of thinking about things. It helps you with thinking of things you should work on while keeping the balance of not worrying about things you don't feel like you have to work on and knowing that's okay. It has a lot of different motivational quotes in it and overall it's more like a guide that's easily refer able whenever you need some motivation or ...more
DJohnson
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the type of book that you keep on your shelf and reread when you're having a bad day or feel stuck.

I loved the short chapters. The author(s) managed to cover so many different aspects of life!
Andrew
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of the best self help books I have read. Recommended.
Cherie Palmer
Mar 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These kind of books always have a story or two that you will think of long after you have finished the book.
Wes
Jul 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I vacillated between rating this book three stars at around the beginning, five stars towards the middle, and then finally settled on four stars at the end.

At its core, Life 101 is a great primer for people who haven't done much reading in the self-improvement section. It gives you a taste of every topic, with loads of quotes sprinkled in throughout the very short chapters. For me, since I have done my fair share of reading in the self-help section, it was nice to have short little reminders
Amanda
Jan 07, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Out of all the books about life my professor could have picked - she chose this.

There are many issues with this book, some are:

It's more quotes than original thought - The book is packed full of full page quotations by famous people. The even in the written parts of the book, the author again quotes more famous people. Quote after quote.

Cliché - there's a big mix of cliché nonsense and common sense.

Incorrect info - This was my biggest issue. There are things the author states as fact, that are
Matthew
Aug 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
I want to assign this to my kids when they're in 5th or 6th grade. The book is that easy to read, and common-sensical........... which I say with ambivalence because I know PLENTY of people who DON'T live by its precepts. Really lays things out for people who otherwise would make excuses, blame everyone in the world before blaming the (wo)man in the mirror, and otherwise fail to accomplish what they deserve to attempt. A really great read, and desperately important for the underachiever, too.
Kelly
Jul 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was an amazing book. In a funny and non-invasive way, this book challenged me in a lot of helpful ways. I plan to read it again.

Loved the concept of fear (and other perceived negative emotions or things) as teachers. Favorite quote: "We must persistently and convincingly tell ourselves that the fear is here - with its gift of energy and heightened awareness - so we can do our best and learn the most in the new situation" p 209.
Daniel
Jan 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Kind of a fun "self-help" book. The author is a joy to read, but it may have been better as a collection of daily meditations than a manual of life altering ideas. There was just too many cliches, too many ideas, and zero depth. Along with the author's other work "Do It!",there's a lot of remedy's for the quick fix crowd.
Fullfaun Faun
Sep 05, 2016 rated it did not like it
I don't like useless quotes in books. ever since LIFE 101 book. if i had known that I could sell a book with other people's quotes/sayings with me writing transitions phrases between and what they mean to me, I could have done this 30+ years ago.
Aly
Mar 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I found this book on my dad's bookshelf when I was maybe 12 or 13. Intrigued by the cover, I started reading it. I'm 23 now and have returned to it again and again. Worthwhile life advice presented in a non-pretentious way. Plus, the authors are funny.
Fabrizio Stucchi
Sep 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great read, highly suggested. The typical book which can complement the reading of novels as it is built in short chapters that give food for thoughts and action plans daily. Definitely I book that will be permanently stay aside of my bed in case of "emergencies".
Barbara Lovejoy
Nov 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Read one section each day over the last few months. I really liked some of the sections that had great insights.
Mounir
Oct 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: a-to-re-read
wonderfully simple book with deep thoughts about life and living.
Jeffrey Mcandrew
Jan 09, 2014 marked it as to-read
A friend of mine(Dave Duxdtad) gave me this book when I was a young man. Now I am reading it again. Great book!
Lorna
Sep 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-help
This is a life changing book or could be if the advice given followed.
This.is.chrissie
Jul 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
One of me favorite books ever.
Jennifer Moore
Sep 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
read this. and also Do It! (Let's get off our Buts). And enjoy it, because there are no more to come - this fabulous man is dead.
çì-ỳàì çì-ỳàì
Jul 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Highly motivational. Great book to read to help explain some parts of life that might be complicated.
Simon Christensen
Jan 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Amazing. Fantastic. Perfect.
Lynne
Aug 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very encouraging. Loved the quotes.

• What Happy People Know: How the New Science of Happiness Can Change Your Life for the Better
  • Rapt: Attention and the Focused Life
  • The Minds of Billy Milligan
  • Mi vida de Rubia
  • So Much I Want to Tell You: Letters to My Little Sister
  • Method 15/33
  • Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend
  • Where or When
  • Leyendas Mexicanas
  • Storm and Stone (Struck, #1)
  • Con sed de sangre Leyendas de Vampiros
  • Por una rosa
  • Solitaire
  • Love at Second Sight
  • Las batallas en el desierto
  • Yoga Mala: The Seminal Treatise and Guide from the Living Master of Ashtanga Yoga
  • Eastern Body, Western Mind: Psychology and the Chakra System As a Path to the Self
  • Skinny Bitch: A No-Nonsense, Tough-Love Guide for Savvy Girls Who Want to Stop Eating Crap and Start Looking Fabulous!

News & Interviews