Start by marking “Darkness for Light (Caleb Zelic, #3)” as Want to Read:
Darkness for Light (Caleb Zelic, #3)

Darkness for Light

(Caleb Zelic #3)

All he trusts is betrayal...
After a lifetime of bad decisions, troubled PI Caleb Zelic is finally making some good ones. He's in therapy, reconnecting with the Deaf community, and reconciling with his beloved wife.

But he can't escape his past.

A violent confrontation forces Caleb back into contact with his double-crossing partner, Frankie. When her niece is kidnapped,
Published December 2nd 2019 by Echo Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Darkness for Light, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Darkness for Light

Start your review of Darkness for Light (Caleb Zelic, #3)
Paromjit
This is my first taste of this incredible award winning Aussie crime series by Emma Viskic featuring troubled and deaf PI Caleb Zelic, set in Melbourne. I was plunged into the series where significant events had taken place previously, but Viskic gives sufficient information that I didn't feel like that I was flailing around too much. The story opens with Caleb at a children's farm to meet a new client, a meeting organised through the exchange of emails, only to find him dead, shot through the ...more
Brenda
Private Investigator Caleb Zelic had succeeded in turning his life around. Tentatively reconciling with Kat, his almost divorced wife and finding the friends among the deaf community that he’d shunned, he was also in therapy and doing well. But the day he discovered a badly injured person on a visit to her house was the beginning of another horror period of his life – once again connected with his ex-partner Frankie.

Frankie’s life had spiralled out of control and when her niece was kidnapped,
Carolyn
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Emma Viskic's series featuring deaf PI Caleb Zelic series is turning out to be a very strong series indeed, with this third episode being the best yet!

Caleb is back in Melbourne, taking slow steps to reconcile with his wife Kat who is expecting their child. After two miscarriages they are understandably nervous and Caleb is doing his best to make good decisions about his actions to keep them both safe. However, when a new client is murdered before Caleb can even meet him and his ex-partner
Lou
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Darkness For Light is the third book in the superb Private Investigator Caleb Zelic series, set in the stifling heat of Melbourne, Australia. Although preferable it certainly isn't essential to have read any of the preceding instalments to understand and enjoy this one so feel free to jump right on in. Caleb is still trying to pick up the pieces of his life since the fire that ravaged everything a few months previously. But when a prospective client he was about to meet is murdered and Frankie's ...more
Nat K
Dec 08, 2019 marked it as to-read
Super thrilled to see that Cal's back! It's been too long...
Marianne
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Darkness For Light is the third Caleb Zelic thriller by award-winning Australian author, Emma Viskic. Caleb Zelic is in a good place: things are going well in his no-longer-on-the-brink-of-divorce relationship with Kat, who is expecting his child; a patient therapist has him more settled and intent on making good decisions; and he is finding friendship and support in the deaf community he had earlier rejected.

But then his possible new client turns up dead before they even meet, and the AFP are
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
*https://mrsbbookreviews.wordpress.com
Ned Kelly and Davitt Award Winning Author Emma Viskic issues her readers with another thrilling chapter in her Caleb Zelic series. Darkness For Light is the third book in Emma Viskic’s carefully crafted crime thriller series, featuring enigmatic private investigator Caleb Zelic. This new novel consumes the reader from page one, in a deepening tale of corruption, assault, murder, underhanded tactics, kidnapping and money laundering. Author Adrian McKinty
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
Darkness for Light is the third book in Emma Viskic’s outstanding crime fiction series featuring Caleb Zelic.

Following the tumultuous events of Resurrection Bay, and And Fire Came Down, security consultancy Caleb Zelic is attempting to make better decisions. With the help of a therapist he has begun reconnecting with the Deaf community, reconciling with his pregnant wife, and rebuilding his company after his partner’s betrayal.
Meeting a new client at an urban children’s farm might be unusual,
Carol -  Reading Writing and Riesling
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, aww

My View:
I think I’ve been waiting all year for this book!

Those who know me personally, that is, in real life, will have heard me lament what I have experienced as a very lean year for crime fiction readers. Don’t get me wrong I am not saying that the crime fiction books I have read are lacking in readability or excitement, they have just been lacking. For some reason so many excellent literary/contemporary reads have found their way to my mail box – some truly remarkable, outstanding reads but I
Elaine Tomasso
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I would like to thank Netgalley and Bonnier Zaffre for an advance copy of Darkness for Light, the third novel to feature Melbourne based PI Caleb Zelic.

An unfortunate encounter with a State Police detective forces Cal to get in touch with his ex-partner, Frankie, a woman on the run. With neither of them trusting each other they are forced to work together when Frankie’s niece, Tilda, is kidnapped.

I thoroughly enjoyed Darkness for Light which is a rollercoaster read full of violence, double
Chris Wolak
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sooo good! It’s hard to make me LOL in the same story where people are being hunted down to be killed and a child is in danger, but Viskic pulls it off. If you like crime fiction check out Australian writer Emma Viskic‘s Caleb Zelic series. Caleb is deaf, which gives his investigations a unique turn.

Darkness for Light isn’t out in the U.S. until June 2020, so you have plenty of time to read her first two in the series, Resurrection Bay & And Fire Came Down.

Thanks to NetGalley for the ARC.
Linda Sengsourinho
I recently had an opportunity to read Em Viskic’s Darkness for Light as an advanced review copy. The third in her Caleb Zelic series, Darkness for Light was a gripping story, masterfully told, that takes the reader on an emotional ride. If you haven’t yet immersed yourself in Resurrection Bay and And Fire Came Down, then it is highly recommended you start with those two before jumping into Darkness for Light, as the complexity of Caleb is best understood with his back history.

In Darkness For
Cass Moriarty
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a delight to return to the life of Caleb Zelic in Emma Viskic’s latest crime thriller Darkness for Light (Echo Publishing 2019), the third in the series following Resurrection Bay and And Fire Came Down. Caleb, a Private Investigator, is trying to live a quiet life after the traumatic events of the last two books. He’s trying to Make Good Decisions (his new mantra). He’s reconnected with the deaf community and has found his tribe and some good friends. He’s found a helpful therapist who ...more
Denise
Jan 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great Aussie author - Emma Viskic - with the 3rd book in the 'Caleb Zelic' series about the deaf private investigator who can't give up getting to the bottom of the mystery, even when he really should.
Set once again in Resurrection Bay (where is RB? Somewhere down on the coast and, as we saw in 'And Fire Came Down', has some seriously dodgy residents) and Melbourne, we're introduced to Cal's business partner Frankie's family. The plot twists make for pretty compelling reading, and
Jo
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.75 Stars. It is no secret I am a huge fan of Emma Viskic’s Caleb Zelic Thriller series, having nothing but admiration for her taut, propulsive (and brave) writing style and the authenticity and grit of its characters. Read my reviews of Resurrection Bay (Book 1) and And Fire Came Down (Book 2).

I read Book 3 in a single day. I did not think it possible, but the narrative in Darkness for Light is even more taut and compelling than the novels that precede it. Emerging from the shadow of past
Verushka
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Darkness for Light is relentless.

I don’t use that word lightly, because pacing has always been the thing that makes or breaks a book for me, and this one does not let up from the first page — and it is utterly, completely and immensely compelling as a result.

Caleb has kind of found a balance in his life when the book opens — his wife, Kat, is pregnant and they are both cautiously waiting to see if the pregnancy will come to term. Caleb is determined to make things work with Kat now and he’s
Sherryl Clark
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Having read the two previous novels about PI Caleb Zelic, I was really looking forward to this third in the series. Caleb is a character you can’t help but engage with, not because he’s deaf but because he’s got that core of determination despite all the things he stuffs up, and the people he trusts when he probably shouldn’t.
One of these has been his ex-partner, Frankie, and it was inevitable that she’d reappear in Caleb’s life and cause more trouble. Given their past history, Frankie should be
Cel Jel
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How well Emma writes a story that keeps me on edge. Every moment I could I read to find out what was going to happen.
Drawn into investigating the husband of a lady of means, Caleb is again put at a disadvantage at times due to his difficulty in hearing. He has fortunately found a community in others who silently cook, and also need his assistance. Torn two ways, he becomes involved in a larger situation than his original job.
I love the way that Emma includes people from different backgrounds,
Kym King
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This has been my favourite in the series so far. Still so many twists and turns but characters so well developed that you even have sympathy for the bad guys or at least have some understanding of why they are the way they are. I won't disclose the ending but I was still surprised by it just as I was by the first book. I really love the relationship between Caleb and his wife Kat. Held on to by a tenous thread but the most precious thing in Caleb's life. Gripping 'til the end! Highly recommend.
Martin
Jan 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a great book to finish 2019 with. The third in the Caleb Zelic series and just as forcible as the first two. Gritty crime series with a touch of Australian humour~ when talking to a stoned youth (Caleb ) turned on light to lip read…”why haven’t you got a dog…because I’m deaf not blind.". Caleb is an endearing protagonist and one hopes everything works out (including getting back with his pregnant wife). If you haven't read this book start with the first...makes great summer reading.
Julie Cohen
Jan 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: top-rated, read-2020
I'm really enjoying this series. Dark and violent at times, the mysteries are intriguing and complex (sometimes too complex - there were times when I couldn't keep track of who was doing what, but honestly the writing is so good I was ok with that!) Caleb Zelik is really interesting to read, and I love how he notices things visually that I probably wouldn't notice. Look forward to more in this series.
Anne Fenn
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-fiction
Third instalment of the Caleb Zelic series. Set in Melbourne where Caleb is trying to keep out of trouble, working in security. Old friends, innocent children and being in the wrong spot make his return to hunting down criminals inevitable. What stands out about this series is its insight into being deaf. Caleb’s hearing loss is incorporated into the plot, adding suspense and occasional tough humour. Unputdownable.
Rhonda
Jan 07, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: australian, mystery
I read this within a week of reading the first two in the series - definitely recommend reading in order. The action moves at a relentless pace with our somewhat hapless hero suffering from the usual violence (and the body count is high). The plot seemed to make more sense than in the first two, but the weakness here was the poorer sense of place and location. Caleb remains a great character, and is showing signs of more self-awareness.
Helen
Jan 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jane
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
Definitely a good writer and I love the character and set up, but I just couldn't work out what was going on and so it was disappointing. Lots of references to previous storylines or possibly back story that I couldn't recall, so I constantly felt like it would all make sense if only I could remember the previous books better.
Karyn Smiroldo
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this series by Emma Viskic . Once again Caleb gets himself into all sorts of trouble making it hard to put down . Emma has a great writing style & I love how we get an insight into what its like to be deaf & the daily struggles they have that we take for granted . Hopefully more of Caleb Zelic to come .
Veronica
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More very gritty, very twisty and very good stuff from Emma Viskic. I love this series.
Melissa Broom
I loved the first 2 books . This one was slow and boring. I gave 2 stars cos I love the characters.
Jay Dwight
Entertaining crime read.

I do like the Caleb Zelic character, a deaf investigator not being the norm.
Emma Devonshire
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was worth the wait! Another great instalment of the Caleb Zelic series. I hope it’s not the last.
Goodreads Librari...: Please combine Emma Viskic book 2 15 Dec 03, 2019 10:50AM

• You Don't Know Me
  • The Great Divide
  • Hell to Pay
  • In The Clearing
  • Dead Man Switch (A Billie Walker Mystery #1)
  • There Was Still Love
  • Westwind
  • The Siberian Dilemma (Arkady Renko #9)
  • True West
  • Maybe the Horse Will Talk
  • Room for a Stranger
  • Snake Island
Emma Viskic’s critically acclaimed Caleb Zelic series has been published worldwide and won numerous awards. RESURRECTION BAY won the 2016 Ned Kelly Award for Best First Fiction and an unprecedented three Davitt Awards. It was iBooks Australia’s Crime Novel of the Year, and shortlisted for the UK’s prestigious Gold Dagger and New Blood Awards. It is currently nominated for the US Barry Award. AND ...more

Caleb Zelic (3 books)
  • Resurrection Bay (Caleb Zelic, #1)
  • And Fire Came Down (Caleb Zelic, #2)