Start by marking “Rachel Ray” as Want to Read:
Rachel Ray

Rachel Ray

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  590 Ratings  ·  54 Reviews
Rachel Ray offers a masterly and entertaining evocation of a small community living its life in mid-nineteenth-century England. The novel first appeared in 1863, a year in which public reaction against the excesses of the popular sensationalist novel prompted Trollope to state that he was writing about "the commonest details of commonplace life among the most ordinary peop ...more
Published December 1st 2008 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published 1863)

To ask other readers questions about Rachel Ray, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rachel Ray

Warwick
Jun 26, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, england, devon
Provincial balls, virginal heroines, bumbling clergymen, and lashings of EVOO.
Jim
May 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Written in 1863, near the beginning of his career, Rachel Ray is one of Anthony Trollope's sweetest, tightest, and most charming novels. The eponymous young lady is the daughter of one widow and sister of another. She falls for a handsome young man named Luke Rowan, who is the partner in a local brewery run by Mr. Thomas Tappitt, who has three young daughters to marry off. When Luke falls hard for Rachel, the Tappitt family becomes his enemy -- especially after he impugned the quality of their b ...more
K.
Jul 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely and completely delighful, happy read. :) From my limited Trollope reading so far, I take back what I said about beginning him with "Ayala's Angel" and think THIS book a far better representation of the general feel and scope of his work.

While not anywhere near as thoughtful, or thought-provoking as, say, the Barsetshire Chronicles, more light, fluffy, happy, and, I'll say it--romantic ;) but altogether a novel one wants to fall into and never return from. This is Victorian English Co
Elizabeth (Alaska)
This was a prime example of how well Trollope writes his female characterizations. One of his minor characters has squinty eyes and a narrow view of life, and she is the one who sees something and starts all the trouble. The widowed sister whose sour countenance can be full of dark looks does, indeed, have a sour, dark outlook on life. Young Rachel Ray herself, though shy and obedient, has more fortitude within than one might expect.

The Trollope Society has this classed with the Comic Novels. I'
Penny
Mar 29, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Rachel meets a young man and falls for him; he acts honorably, she acts honorably, but her mother is resistant to their match until she comes to realize how very honorable they both are. Rachel and her beau are both fairly bland characters and there seems to be no particular reason why they should stay apart or, for that matter, come together. Far more interesting is Rachel's battle-ax of a sister, who becomes engaged to a sanctimonious preacher.

About two thirds of the way through the book a sp
Mary Ronan Drew
Nov 22, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This modest, medium-length novel is one of Trollope’s best, and it has an interesting backstory.

The editor of an evangelical magazine asked Trollope to write a novel for them to serialize and he went to work on Rachel Ray, which criticizes, satirizes, and triumphs over its pinched, power-hungry evangelical characters. The magazine refused it and it was published elsewhere.

The story is simple and there are no sub-plots. Rachel Ray is a modest girl who leads a retiring life with her widowed mother
Diane
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anthony-trollope
Loved this Trollope novel. It dealt with the relationship problems of Rachel and Luke Rowen. The only problem was the denigration of Jews that must have been prevalent in Trollope's day, but it was hard to read those words. It was also a shorter novel than usual. Wonderful!!
LifetimeReader
Dec 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
Although this novel is not as widely read as some of Trollope's other books, Rachel Ray is a wonderful place to start your Trollope adventures. The book shows off the author's strengths, is shorter than Trollope's average tome, and is quite accessible. I thoroughly enjoyed the book and have found myself thinking about it quite a bit since I finished.

I should warn you of a couple of weaknesses. First, there really is no plot. Girl meets Boy and they fall in love. Everybody thinks Boy will be dish
Carol
Nov 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's exciting to be able to find so many lost classics in the Gutenberg research project. I long ago gave away my large Trollope collection, thinking that I was done with this Victorian novelist. Time passes, however, and I felt an urge to read Trollope again, and was glad to have easy access to his books and glad that I've ventured in Trollope land many times. The territory is familiar, comforting and funny.

Rachel Ray is not one of Trollope's "heavy" novels, but it is very enjoyable. Trollope
Wendy
Dec 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
A delightful book, a version of Cinderella, in which the wicked characters are Evangelicals. All of Trollope's prejudices are on display here, his snobbism and anti-semitism as well as his loathing for Dissenters, but if you can contextualize all that to the period, of which the book is a little portrait, you will have a lovely time. The curious thing about this edition is that the introduction makes no mention of the anti-semitism that forms a significant subplot. Really strange!
Samantha Glasser
Read this book for free through Project Gutenberg: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/34000/...
Brandy
Apr 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun bit of the drawing room comedy typical of the time, with a few good swipes at the church thrown in.
Marts  (Thinker)
May 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A detailed and descriptive tale by Trollope, Rachel Ray tells of a young girl's family and community life and of her falling in love and becoming engaged despite much opposition to the arrangement...
Al
Feb 25, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anthony Trollope can write more words about less action in a more interesting fashion than any other author I've read. In Rachel Ray, though, he has outdone himself in the more words and less action category, at the expense of the more interesting category. The story of how Rachel meets and falls for the dashing Luke Rowan is a familiar theme, as is the misunderstanding which separates them. But do we have to have Rachel's every thought endlessly retold and analyzed? If it weren't for the inter ...more
Roslyn
Mar 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
achel Ray was written by Anthony Trollope in 1863 and tells the simple story of the eponymous heroine and Luke Rowan. Wrapped around this central tale, Trollope examines in his liberal and wry way, the lot of Victorian women. Mrs Prime, a tough , unlovable widow, faces the problems of modern women, wanting a husband and social standing but not willing to give up her financial independence or her chance to make her mark in the world. Interestingly, Trollope 19s treatment of the clergymen in this ...more
Pgchuis
Aug 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Luke Rowan comes to Baslehurst to enforce his right to inherit a half-share in the brewery. He is resisted in this by the existing partner, Mr Tappitt. Through Mr Tappitt's daughters Luke meets Rachel Ray and courts her successfully. However, as his dispute with Mr Tappitt is heating up he leaves town to pursue legal remedies and Rachel's weak mother is induced by her clergyman to force Rachel to break the engagement off.

I found this novel well-constructed and the brewery storyline was entertain
Dec 09, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
“We, all of us, read more in the faces of those with whom we hold converse, than we are aware of doing. Of the truth, or want of truth in every word spoken to us, we judge, in great part, by the face of the speaker. By the face of every man and woman seen by us, whether they speak or are silent, we form a judgment, — and in nine cases out of ten our judgment is true. It is because our tenth judgment, — that judgment which has been wrong, — comes back upon us always with the effects of its error, ...more
Shauna
I love Anthony Trollope's writing and think he is masterly in creating provincial towns and their various sub-structures. He is also excellent at producing characters from all classes in society and breathing life into them. He is so much better than Dickens at depicting believable female characters. This is one of his most light-hearted novels although he does show the anti-semitism which existed in society at that time and I can see why some readers are offended by this but it happened and it ...more
Jim Jones
Feb 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read that Trollope wrote this in response to the craze of "sensational" novels in vogue in the mid-1800's and wanted to prove a good book could be written about ordinary people where little happens. He succeeded. Beneath the quiet lives of a small English village he raises questions about women's rights, racism (against Jews), and class. Really rather a subversive (and feminist) novel about girl meets boy, girl loses boy, girl gets boy back.
David
Mar 23, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: trollope
This is lesser Trollope, with a fairly standard plot: The lovers seem ill-suited, but are they? And will those who, for various reasons, want to prevent the marriage prevail? Trollope's treatment of Rachel's older sister, in thrall to the evangelical movement, lets him display his dislike for that movement, but he does that better, and with much more humor, in Barchester Towers.
Academama
Aug 19, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This certainly doesn't break any new Trollopian ground; however, it's a fun read, especially because the character of Mrs. Ray [Rachel's mother:] is an interesting depiction of a single parent who is not well-suited to run a household. Worth a read, and you'll probably enjoy it, but nothing too special.
Martha
Jan 11, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This books seems mean to me. His characters are riduculous without being humorous and the treatment of the Jewish candidate in the local election makes it hard to think well of the "good" people in the novel. I wanted to put this aside because "of the time it was written" but could not. Trollope pulls out every stereotype. _Barchester Towers_ is much better reading.
Steven
Apr 17, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book by Trollope. A story of a young woman, a young man and a relationship that is questioned by all. Instead of marrying one of the daughters of his business partner in the local brewery, Luke Rowan falls in love with Rachel Ray. Control of the brewery offers a good subplot. A good story about how people like to meddle in relationships, but eventually love wins out at the end.
Susan  Collinsworth
I liked it. Trollope has great insight into human nature, can make all his observations, pleasant and unpleasant, with a light touch of humor. Able to keep the suspense up. Would like to read more of his work.
Elizabeth
Not one of Trollope's best being rather Seinfeldian in that it's really a novel about nothing. I'm beginning to think that I prefer his political novels far more than the one-offs such as this one, Lady Anna, etc., the glaring exception being Orley Farm.
Cynthia Karl
Jun 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been a patsy for Victorian novels from the time that I read "Silas Marner" and "Vanity Fair" in high school (everyone else hated them). Compared to the writing styles, cultural mores and behavior of today, these novels seem very innocent. I find them very appealing.
Renée
Jan 14, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet story but could not quite captivate me. Trollope is putting out the message that a husband is a wife's lord and master ... ok it was written in the 19th C but still, then I thought Luke Rowan wasn't a very interesting personage. The sheer anti-semitism wasn't very atractive either
Megan
Jul 03, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story overall but I find it hard to swallow that someone could be so in love/pining away after only seeing someone 4 times total & exchanging a few words. He should have built up their relationship much more for it to be more believable. Liked the last Trollope I read much better.
Kathleen
Loved this book. Rachel's innocence might be cloying if Trollope's other characters weren't so delightfully flawed.
Teri
Dec 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Why don't more people read this book? The usual Trollope excellence and uncanny ability to understand women.
Exploring Anthony...: Rachel Ray 2 8 Feb 05, 2015 09:32AM
  • Esther Waters
  • Deerbrook
  • Aurora Floyd
  • The Nether World
  • Miss Marjoribanks (Chronicles of Carlingford, #5)
  • The Dead Secret
  • Trollope
  • The Spoils of Poynton
  • The History of Henry Esmond, Esq.
  • The Moorland Cottage and Other Stories
  • The Egoist
  • Anna of the Five Towns
  • Scenes of Clerical Life
20524
Anthony Trollope became one of the most successful, prolific and respected English novelists of the Victorian era. Some of Trollope's best-loved works, known as the Chronicles of Barsetshire, revolve around the imaginary county of Barsetshire; he also wrote penetrating novels on political, social, and gender issues and conflicts of his day.

Trollope has always been a popular novelist. Noted fans ha
More about Anthony Trollope...
“The most deadly enemies of the Roman Catholics are they who love best their religion as Protestants. When we look to individuals we always find it so, though it hardly suits us to admit as much when we discuss these subjects broadly.” 3 likes
“As to happiness in this life it is hardly compatible with that diminished respect which ever attends the relinquishing of labour.” 1 likes