Start by marking “Her Dark Lies” as Want to Read:

Her Dark Lies

At the wedding of the year, a killer needs no invitation

Jutting from sparkling turquoise waters off the Italian coast, Isle Isola is an idyllic setting for a wedding. In the majestic cliff-top villa owned by the wealthy Compton family, up-and-coming artist Claire Hunter will marry handsome, charming Jack Compton, surrounded by close family, intimate friends…and a host of d
Published March 9th 2021 by Mira Books

To ask other readers questions about Her Dark Lies, please sign up.
Pattie I've read and enjoyed both. The storm and people dying were the only real similarities. They were both really good books. If you enjoyed The Guest Lis…moreI've read and enjoyed both. The storm and people dying were the only real similarities. They were both really good books. If you enjoyed The Guest List - I'm sure you'll like this one.
(less)

Start your review of Her Dark Lies
Nilufer Ozmekik
Mar 15, 2021 rated it really liked it
An exclusive, luxurious high society marriage ceremony set on a majestic-cliff top villa at Italian coast! Yes, from the blurb I got some Lucy Foley’s Guest List vibes : a killer on the run at the most anticipated marriage ceremony of the year: everybody has different agendas. Both groom and bride keep terrible, dirty secrets. Did you get intrigued? You certainly should!

Claire Hunter seems like an ultra talented painter who is still modest about her artistic skills. The tattooed,once upon a ti
Michael David
Dec 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
A scenic setting on an island off of the Italian coast? A group of guests gathering for a special occasion at a beautiful villa? A violent storm that keeps the guests stuck on the island? Power going out? A killer hidden in the shadows? I am here for it!

Claire and her soon-to-be husband, Jack, leave a shocking incident behind at Claire’s home in Nashville, and travel to the Isle Isola island. Here, Jack and his wealthy family own a villa. It’s the perfect setting for their nuptials, among 30 of
megs_bookrack
Jan 29, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs-read
**3.5-stars**

From the start, Claire Hunter, knows that by marrying Jack Compton, her life will dramatically change.

The Compton family is rich and powerful; we're talking top 1%. Claire is an up-and-coming artist, with a studio in Nashville, and not much else. She's new to their high-class world and the circle of predators that can often come with it.

The couple are set to wed at the Compton family's luxury villa on Isle Isolde on the coast of Italy. It is planned to be an intimate occasion, with
James
Mar 25, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1-fiction
By far, this has been my favorite JT Ellison novel. I loved everything about how this plot was put together. We have various POVs, including the villain behind everything. The whole thing felt seamless, at least until the last two chapters when the details fully unfolded. Had it not been for some holes and confusion there, it would've been a five-star read. Wow! A rollercoaster that wouldn't let up on me, and the characters were fresh and imaginative.

The Comptons have everything, including secre
Mandy White (mandylovestoread)
As soon as I heard about Her Dark Lies I was desperate to get my hands on it - thank you so much harlequin Australia for sending me an advance copy to read. JT Ellison is one of my favourite writers, I loved her Taylor Jackson series and it kept on going from there. She has a way of making the settings and characters so real that you can see the story happening as you read it. No character is perfect, they all have their flaws and secrets and I love it.

In Her Dark Lies we travel to a beautiful p
Jayme
Feb 16, 2021 rated it liked it
Claire Hunter is about to marry the man of her dreams at a private villa on an island off of the Italian coast. When a raging storm ensues, the power goes out and a killer is on the loose! What could go wrong?

This book opens very slowly with long descriptions of the Italian picturesque landscape and historical villa. The pace does pick up quite a bit once Jack and Claire arrive at the villa, and from there I was hooked on figuring out the mystery. The story has really good momentum, but ultimat
Nenia ✨ I yeet my books back and forth ✨ Campbell
OK my inner middle schooler is SO excited that deadly party books are coming back in full force in adult clothes because all that Point Horror/Fear Street shit was my JAM as a kid
Chris  C - A Midlife Wife
Damn! The body count is hella high in this one! Engrossing. 4.5 Stars!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This book was written in a different style than what we’re typically used to reading. For one it’s written in first person, which I like. It really allows you to get inside the characters mind.

Second, it seems to start in the middle of the story. We don’t go through the long courting process of this couple. The story drops us in right before they’re getting ready to get married.

The character development is e
Larry H
Mar 28, 2021 rated it liked it
In Her Dark Lies , J.T. Ellison's latest mystery/thriller, a destination wedding turns into a serious disaster.

Claire is more than ready to marry her fiancé, Jack, and really begin their life together. But since Jack’s family is incredibly powerful, well-known, and wealthy, this won’t just be any wedding. They’ll be getting married at the family’s cliffside villa (more like a castle) on the remote Isle Isola off the Italian coast. Sounds like a fairytale, right?

Already on edge from an event t
Sonica
Nov 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing

Thank you Harper Collins/MIRA Books for my copy of Her Dark Lies by JT Ellison in exchange for my honest review. This title releases March 9, 2021.

A wedding set on a remote island.

New and old dead bodies piling up.

Everyone has a secret and anyone could have done it.

It’s no secret that JT Ellison is by far one of my favourite thriller writers of ALL TIME. I discovered her writing almost 4 years ago with her standalone Lie To Me, and have been hooked ever since. I still squeal with the knowledge
Darla
Feb 28, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
For Claire Hunter her dream wedding on a 5-star island off the coast of Italy is turning into a nightmare. The storm coming in has pushed up the wedding timeline. She is unsettled by a home invasion that occurred in Nashville the night before they left for the wedding. Then they arrive at the island just as a dead body is being recovered. Although Ellison does not mention Daphne Du Maurier's iconic 'Rebecca' in her author notes, I saw many themes that reminded me of that beloved title. In additi ...more
Elle
Mar 28, 2021 rated it it was ok
Shelves: from-publisher, 2021
Yiiiiiikes this was not a good one for me. I don’t know exactly what I was expecting but this is one of the corniest and silliest thrillers I’ve read in a while.

Where to even begin? I don’t want to be mean because writing a book is difficult and I’m sure several people worked hard on this. But I don’t write reviews for authors and publishers, I write them for other readers and of course, for ✨ME✨. Also, I’m a little annoyed I read all 400+ pages of this and still got such a dumb ending.

So here w
Morgan-- JUSTONEMOREPAGE_
Nov 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I would like to start this by saying, thank you so much J.T. Ellison for allowing me to volunteer as tribute, and be apart of this book. She is one of my all-time favorite authors, so I am feeling totally blessed right now. Be sure to check this one out, to see just what role I play exactly!
So, does being in this book make me biased? Is it going to make me give this a higher star rating than what it deserves? Hell no. Ellison is one of my favorite authors, because her writing instantly draws yo
Chelsea | thrillerbookbabe
First of all, thank you so much to J.T. Ellison, Bookclubbish, and HTP Books for my free copy of this book. I loved Good Girls Lie, so I was so excited to get my hands on Her Dark Lies! It was so well written and immediately captured my attention. Someone asked me if it was similar to The Guest List, and maybe a bit by plot, but nothing like it in writing. This book is captivating and dynamic, and I loved it!

Thoughts: I really enjoyed all the dynamics at play in this book. All of the characters
Oct 19, 2020 rated it it was ok
In Her Dark Lies, artist Claire is about to marry extremely wealthy Jack Compton on his family's private island in Italy. Then the bad things start happening. Do you like excessive descriptions of landscape and locations? Would you like to read page after page of details about the island and house? Do you like it when the protagonists gloss over the major events of the book so they can continue to describe their environment? Then Her Dark Lies is the book for you! I stuck it out to the end, but ...more
Robin Loves Reading
In this thrilling story with a definite gothic vibe, secrets and death loom over a couple that are about to marry. Claire Hunter was a previously struggling artist who has hit pay dirt, literally. She is about to marry handsome millionaire Jack Compton on his family's private island off of the Italian coast. The setting is beyond beautiful - but it is buried in secrets, lies and dangers that will cost more than one life before and if the wedding could indeed take place.

As they are approaching t
Cortney LaScola - The Bookworm Myrtle Beach
4.5 stars rounded up

I really enjoyed this book! Very atmospheric... a bit implausible at times (but isn't that why we read sometimes, to escape?)

I thought it had great characters and a good story. There was a lot of different POV's which I usually don't mind, but instead of titled chapters, it would have been helpful to have which character's POV it was instead. I had to be sure to finish a chapter before putting the book down or else I had to flip back to figure out who was talking.

Looking for
Ludwig Reads
Feb 02, 2021 rated it liked it
Her Dark Lies is an intriguing “locked room” thriller where each character harbors a secret. This one really takes its time before finally unraveling all of these secrets at the end and it tends to focus less on the plot and more on the setting, which is stunning by the way. This wasn’t as amazing or shocking as I had hoped but it was a fun mystery nonetheless.
Kerry
Jan 05, 2021 rated it it was amazing
What a twisted, addictive story! JT spun a delicious tale with a cast of characters fans of REBECCA (or any gothic thriller) will adore. This book will be one of 2021s best and I'm so glad I had the privilege of an early read. ...more
Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews
Who has more secrets - Jack or Claire?

We meet the wealthy, powerful Jack Compton and the artist with a past Claire Hunter a few days before their wedding festivities that are to take place in a beautiful island off the coast of Italy.

The day before had put a damper on their plans…well it did for Claire...because someone broke into her apartment, and the intruder was shot.

Jack was not even bothered by it. He remained his cool, calm self.

When Jack and Claire get to the island, the police are wait
Kristy
Feb 13, 2021 rated it really liked it
A dark and atmospheric thriller

It's the wedding of the year. Artist Claire Hunter is set to wed William "Jack" Jackson Compton at his wealthy and famous family's villa in Italy. But before they even leave for the Italian coast, things seem off when an intruder breaks into their apartment. On the island, Claire learns a set of bones have just been unearthed: not the start she'd hoped for her romantic wedding. Then her wedding dress is ruined. The family's cyber network is threatened. A storm loom
Brenda ~Traveling Sisters Book Reviews
Fast-paced and brilliantly unpredictable, J.T. Ellison’s breathtaking new novel invites you to a wedding none will forget—and some won’t survive. ~ book summary

In need of an escape? Grab a glass of wine and armchair travel to this luxurious island off Italy’s coast for a paradise wedding with these characters and see who will survive!!! The body count on this one is one I will not forget!!

Melissa (LifeFullyBooked)
This book took me way too long to get into (too much description of the setting), but once I did it was fairly fast-paced and a decent thriller.
Overall, there weren't any huge surprises for me. I saw where this was going right away and there weren't any big twists. Compared to Ellison's previous books, this one was a bit predictable. Yet for a straightforward thriller, I was entertained. The setting is incredibly atmospheric and there are lots of secrets that come to light as the novel progresse
Amanda McGill
Feb 09, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2021, netgallery
Is it just me or is secluded weddings with a killer the mystery theme of the year? I've been reading a lot of these lately. Thankfully I love these types of locked room mysteries so I'm happy to read them!

Her Dark Lies follows Claire and Jack who are getting married on a beautiful private island owned by Jack's family. Of course nothing is as it's seems as past secrets come out and threaten to ruin their big day.

I really enjoyed all the mysteries and secrets that Claire and Jack had to face. It
blondethrillerbooklover
Feb 10, 2021 rated it really liked it
Claire has met the man of her dreams- Jack is handsome, loving, protective and from an extravagantly weathly family.

Their wedding is set to take place at his family’s breathtaking island villa that sits atop a cliff off the coast of Italy.

But, almost immediately after arriving at the villa, things feel wrong to Claire. Then strange things begin happening- escalating quickly from eerie to vicious..... A storm begins raging outside...The power goes out.... 👀
_______________________________

I am rea
jendlo
Mar 15, 2021 rated it really liked it
HER DARK LIES is like a modern retelling of Rebecca.

Fans of that Daphne du Maurier classic, J.P. Delaney's The Girl Before, and HBO's Succession (Romulus is a wolfdog in this tail tale) should really enjoy it.

Fundraiser William Jackson ("Jack") Compton, prone to paranoia, is about to wed artiste Claire Hunter, prone to anxiety attacks. What a marriage theirs will be, if they ever make it down the aisle.

The stage is set: on the Comptons' island estate, Villa la Scogliera (a "Manderley" that I
Rae
Mar 01, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs
Check out vicariouslyvoraciously.com tomorrow for a Blog Tour post on this terrifyingly addictive book!

Thanks to the publisher for sending me a blog tour invite! I read another book by J.T. Ellison last year and loved it, so I'm really looking forward to this one!

_____________________________________

RTC! This was an interesting read..!
Dsbook
Sep 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
J T Ellison is one of my favorite authors but I had a hard time with this book. It was very confusing and I had a lot of questions at the end of the book. Who did kill her???
Nursebookie
Mar 21, 2021 rated it it was amazing
JT Ellison

I am a huge fan of JT Ellison’s writing, so when I saw this book I knew I had to read it, as she is an auto-buy author for me.

Her Dark Lies is definitely a great thriller that I enjoyed a lot. I loved the story telling style where a menacing narrator’s voice is sprinkled throughout the chapters whom we will find out later that is causing havoc for the Compton family and Claire. The setting is on an Island off the coast of Italy at the family’s enormous villa at the Isle I
 Leah
❐ Overall Rating 4⭐ | Narration 😕 = Should’ve had more narrators
❐ Narrated by Brittany Pressley
❐ Listening Length: 11H 54M
❐ Suspense Thriller
❐ The “wedding of the year”
❐ Gothic Atmosphere with a secluded island setting
❐ With a locked-room mystery feel
❐ Secrets, Lies, & Betrayals

description

The Good:

The island setting is descriptive, remote, and creepy. 👌

Nobody was safe in this story. The bodies were piling up. 😱

It was engaging and well written...I was never bored. 💯

The Bad:

There is only one narrator and
Huntsville-Madiso...: Hoopla Pick - March 9 - Her Dark Lies 1 10 Mar 09, 2021 07:54AM

• Every Vow You Break
  • White Out (Badlands Thriller, #1)
  • One by One
  • Every Last Fear
  • Transcendent Kingdom
  • The Searcher
  • The Girls Are All So Nice Here
  • Troubles in Paradise (Paradise, #3)
  • Suspicious Circumstances (Badge of Honor #4)
  • You Betrayed Me (The Cahills #3)
  • Silver Creek Fire (Silver Creek, #1)
  • The Girl from Widow Hills
  • The Cousins
  • Alex Six
  • Deadlock (FBI Thriller, #24)
  • Backlash (Capital Intrigue, #2)
  • Silent Bite (Andy Carpenter #22)
  • The Newcomer
J.T. Ellison began her career as a presidential appointee in the White House, where a nuclear physicist taught her how to obsess over travel itineraries and make a seriously good pot of Earl Grey, spawning both her love of loose leaf and a desire for control of her own destiny. Jaded by the political climate in D.C., she made her way back to her first love, creative writing. More than 20 novels la ...more

Articles featuring this book

“Love is simply a word we use to explain the biochemical nature of species propagation. It’s something we use to justify the base desire to experience pleasure with another person when in fact it’s just about making procreation more palatable. We say we’re in love, but what we really mean is we want to connect so we don’t feel so alone, and in so doing, create stronger familial constructs that allow us to fend off other familial constructs who want to take what we have.” 1 likes
“If adventures will not befall a young lady in her own Village, she must seek them abroad.” —Jane Austen, Northanger Abbey” 1 likes