Start by marking “Her Dark Lies” as Want to Read:
Her Dark Lies

Her Dark Lies

3.54  ·  Rating details ·  11,092 ratings  ·  1,569 reviews
At the wedding of the year, a killer needs no invitation

Jutting from sparkling turquoise waters off the Italian coast, Isle Isola is an idyllic setting for a wedding. In the majestic cliff-top villa owned by the wealthy Compton family, up-and-coming artist Claire Hunter will marry handsome, charming Jack Compton, surrounded by close family, intimate friends…and a host of d
Published March 9th 2021 by MIRA

To ask other readers questions about Her Dark Lies, please sign up.
Emilie They do both sound similar, but they are very different books. Personally, I thought The Guest List was much better.
Nancy It certainly has similarities. Powerful man, creepy housekeeper, drowning/boat, mousey (supposedly) heroine. I think you could make the argument that …moreIt certainly has similarities. Powerful man, creepy housekeeper, drowning/boat, mousey (supposedly) heroine. I think you could make the argument that it was inspired by Rebecca.(less)

·  11,092 ratings  ·  1,569 reviews

Start your review of Her Dark Lies
Nilufer Ozmekik
Mar 15, 2021 rated it really liked it
An exclusive, luxurious high society marriage ceremony set on a majestic-cliff top villa at Italian coast! Yes, from the blurb I got some Lucy Foley’s Guest List vibes : a killer on the run at the most anticipated marriage ceremony of the year: everybody has different agendas. Both groom and bride keep terrible, dirty secrets. Did you get intrigued? You certainly should!

Claire Hunter seems like an ultra talented painter who is still modest about her artistic skills. The tattooed,once upon a ti
megs_bookrack ((is on vacation))
**3.5-stars**

From the start, Claire Hunter, knows marrying Jack Compton will alter her life dramatically.

The Compton family is rich and powerful; we're talking top 1%. Claire is an up-and-coming artist, with a studio in Nashville, and not much else. She's new to their high-class world and the predators that often come with it.

The couple are set to wed at the Compton family's luxury villa on Isle Isolde on the coast of Italy. It is planned to be an intimate occasion, with just family and a few cl
Michael David (on hiatus)
A scenic setting on an island off of the Italian coast? A group of guests gathering for a special occasion at a beautiful villa? A violent storm that keeps the guests stuck on the island? Power going out? A killer hidden in the shadows? I am here for it!

Claire and her soon-to-be husband, Jack, leave a shocking incident behind at Claire’s home in Nashville, and travel to the Isle Isola island. Here, Jack and his wealthy family own a villa. It’s the perfect setting for their nuptials, among 30 of
Elle
Mar 28, 2021 rated it it was ok
Shelves: from-publisher, 2021
Yiiiiiikes this was not a good one for me. I don’t know exactly what I was expecting but this is one of the corniest and silliest thrillers I’ve read in a while.

Where to even begin? I don’t want to be mean because writing a book is difficult and I’m sure several people worked hard on this. But I don’t write reviews for authors and publishers, I write them for other readers and of course, for ✨ME✨. Also, I’m a little annoyed I read all 400+ pages of this and still got such a dumb ending.

So here w
Allison (semi-hiatus) Faught
I wanted to love this book for a couple of reasons.
First, the murder at a wedding this is such a guilty pleasure of mine. I can’t get enough of those books!
Second, my parents bought me this book last year for my birthday and I wanted to LOVE it because I think the most heartfelt way they try to connect with me is by my love of books and I think it’s the cutest and sweetest thing when they buy me a book they think I’ll like.
Third, I’ve been itching for a solid 5 star read and went in with high
Brenda ~Traveling Sisters Book Reviews
Fast-paced and brilliantly unpredictable, J.T. Ellison’s breathtaking new novel invites you to a wedding none will forget—and some won’t survive. ~ book summary

In need of an escape? Grab a glass of wine and armchair travel to this luxurious island off Italy’s coast for a paradise wedding with these characters and see who will survive!!! The body count on this one is one I will not forget!!

Sheri
Jun 03, 2021 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, 2021, fiction
Disappointing as this had promise to be a great thriller with scandalous deception. Both Jack and Claire had secrets, and the implication was certainly that they were deep secrets. Yet, none of the secrets were that interesting or even relevant in the framework of where this story actually went. So many things were hinted at or even initially begun, and they could have led to a truly fantastic story but none of led them anywhere. You’re left perplexed as to the motivations of every single charac ...more
James
Mar 25, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1-fiction
By far, this has been my favorite JT Ellison novel. I loved everything about how this plot was put together. We have various POVs, including the villain behind everything. The whole thing felt seamless, at least until the last two chapters when the details fully unfolded. Had it not been for some holes and confusion there, it would've been a five-star read. Wow! A rollercoaster that wouldn't let up on me, and the characters were fresh and imaginative.

The Comptons have everything, including secre
TXGAL1
Feb 05, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, what a thriller!! 😱 My first Ellison read, but not my last. 😉
JaymeO
Feb 16, 2021 rated it liked it
Claire Hunter is about to marry the man of her dreams at a private villa on an island off of the Italian coast. When a raging storm ensues, the power goes out and a killer is on the loose! What could go wrong?

This book opens very slowly with long descriptions of the Italian picturesque landscape and historical villa. The pace does pick up quite a bit once Jack and Claire arrive at the villa, and from there I was hooked on figuring out the mystery. The story has really good momentum, but ultimat
Mandy White (mandylovestoread)
As soon as I heard about Her Dark Lies I was desperate to get my hands on it - thank you so much harlequin Australia for sending me an advance copy to read. JT Ellison is one of my favourite writers, I loved her Taylor Jackson series and it kept on going from there. She has a way of making the settings and characters so real that you can see the story happening as you read it. No character is perfect, they all have their flaws and secrets and I love it.

In Her Dark Lies we travel to a beautiful p
Oct 19, 2020 rated it it was ok
In Her Dark Lies, artist Claire is about to marry extremely wealthy Jack Compton on his family's private island in Italy. Then the bad things start happening. Do you like excessive descriptions of landscape and locations? Would you like to read page after page of details about the island and house? Do you like it when the protagonists gloss over the major events of the book so they can continue to describe their environment? Then Her Dark Lies is the book for you! I stuck it out to the end, but ...more
Anissa
Perhaps my expectations were too high. This had the setup I love: A group gathered for an event at a sequestered location with secrets and before you know it, the bodies begin stacking up. Alas, this turned out to just be an okay kind of read.

There's a mention in the book that the island and its storied property have been featured in Condé Nast and then a passage is entered detailing the stucco work, statuary and flora of the place along with its other appointments and accoutrements. It was a f
Holly
Mar 14, 2021 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, 2021
This was so disappointing. Usually Ellison writes better than this. It was so predictable, absolutely no surprises, the characters were cliches......I just can’t. It was absolutely ridiculous. I was 30% into the book and almost dnf’d it, I wish I had.
Melissa (LifeFullyBooked)
This book took me way too long to get into (too much description of the setting), but once I did it was fairly fast-paced and a decent thriller.
Overall, there weren't any huge surprises for me. I saw where this was going right away and there weren't any big twists. Compared to Ellison's previous books, this one was a bit predictable. Yet for a straightforward thriller, I was entertained. The setting is incredibly atmospheric and there are lots of secrets that come to light as the novel progresse
Darla
Feb 28, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
For Claire Hunter her dream wedding on a 5-star island off the coast of Italy is turning into a nightmare. The storm coming in has pushed up the wedding timeline. She is unsettled by a home invasion that occurred in Nashville the night before they left for the wedding. Then they arrive at the island just as a dead body is being recovered. Although Ellison does not mention Daphne Du Maurier's iconic 'Rebecca' in her author notes, I saw many themes that reminded me of that beloved title. In additi ...more
Cortney LaScola Hornyak -  The Bookworm Myrtle Beach
4.5 stars rounded up

I really enjoyed this book! Very atmospheric... a bit implausible at times (but isn't that why we read sometimes, to escape?)

I thought it had great characters and a good story. There was a lot of different POV's which I usually don't mind, but instead of titled chapters, it would have been helpful to have which character's POV it was instead. I had to be sure to finish a chapter before putting the book down or else I had to flip back to figure out who was talking.

Looking for
Nenia ✨ I yeet my books back and forth ✨ Campbell
OK my inner middle schooler is SO excited that deadly party books are coming back in full force in adult clothes because all that Point Horror/Fear Street shit was my JAM as a kid
Chris  C - A Midlife Wife
Damn! The body count is hella high in this one! Engrossing. 4.5 Stars!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This book was written in a different style than what we’re typically used to reading. For one it’s written in first person, which I like. It really allows you to get inside the characters mind.

Second, it seems to start in the middle of the story. We don’t go through the long courting process of this couple. The story drops us in right before they’re getting ready to get married.

The character development is e
Kendall
Mar 07, 2021 rated it really liked it
Her Dark Lies....

Let me start with that stunning cover. Ok... I wish I was there and could take a trip to that beautiful sight!!

I've always been a pretty big fan of J. T Ellison's work...always has the talent of leaving her readers on edge and flipping those pages.

The book has an amazing atmosphere/setting that is very strong throughout the entire novel.

Once again, those bodies add up in this one and Ellison has some nice reveals and surprises at the end. I loved the entire "wedding on a curse
Javier
May 15, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review published in: https://diagnosisbookaholic.blogspot....

3,5 ⭐️

May is turning out to be “wedding month” in my reading schedule. Her dark lies is the third book I’ve read this month with a destination wedding gone wrong as a central element of the plot, what just comes to prove that it’s better to live in sin!

Last year I enjoyed Good girls lie so I was really anxious to read this one, I had seen some mixed reviews but I gotta say I enjoyed it quite a lot, being a solid 4 stars for the most p
Erin Clemence
May 13, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
J.T. Ellison takes us to a breathtakingly beautiful island in Italy, where a wedding is to take place. But amongst the elite guests, a killer lies in wait. This is the premise for “Her Dark Lies”.

Aspiring artist Claire is living a literal fairy tale come true. Her fiancé, Jack, is heir to a massive fortune, and when he suggests the two of them get married on his estate on a small island in Italy, Claire is ecstatic. But as soon as she gets to Isle Isola, everything starts going wrong. First, bo
Ange H
Jan 29, 2022 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-books
What the holy hell did I just read?

This story about the wedding of an up-and-coming artist to the scion of a fabulously wealthy family, was nuts - not in a good way. I feel like this was written by a committee of hyperactive film students and I got some entertainment value from trying to identify the much better works that they borrowed from: Oh – that’s Jane Eyre! That’s Rebecca! And Then There Were None! Inglorious Basterds! The Godfather!

I listened to the audiobook, and not a full minute wen
Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews
Who has more secrets - Jack or Claire?

We meet the wealthy, powerful Jack Compton and the artist with a past Claire Hunter a few days before their wedding festivities that are to take place in a beautiful island off the coast of Italy.

The day before had put a damper on their plans…well it did for Claire...because someone broke into her apartment, and the intruder was shot.

Jack was not even bothered by it. He remained his cool, calm self.

When Jack and Claire get to the island, the police are wait
Larry H
Mar 28, 2021 rated it liked it
In Her Dark Lies , J.T. Ellison's latest mystery/thriller, a destination wedding turns into a serious disaster.

Claire is more than ready to marry her fiancé, Jack, and really begin their life together. But since Jack’s family is incredibly powerful, well-known, and wealthy, this won’t just be any wedding. They’ll be getting married at the family’s cliffside villa (more like a castle) on the remote Isle Isola off the Italian coast. Sounds like a fairytale, right?

Already on edge from an event t
Derek
Apr 14, 2021 rated it liked it
This is a tough one to rate. The plot hooked me and I couldn't put it down because I needed to know what happened next. But when I finished, I just felt empty inside. I even double checked to make sure I had read all the way to the ending. Don't get me wrong, there is an ending. Just an underwhelming one for me.

It's like a thriller that promises riveting twists only to be pretty straightforward with no actual twists.

I still had fun with this despite my disappointment. I think many others will l
Katie T
Mar 15, 2021 rated it liked it
Weak 3 stars. If I had read this a few years ago I would have probably given this 1 star. I dunno, it's kind of a mess, and stupid and all the characters are unbelievable. But I found a way to mostly enjoy the last half of the book. The first half was unremarkable. Dunno, read at your own risk lol. ...more
Lisa
Apr 09, 2021 rated it it was amazing
The wedding of the year, a dreamy island off the Italian coast, a looming storm, a bride and groom each with dark secrets — what could possibly go wrong? J.T. Ellison weaves the old and the new, art and history, mystery and love story into one stunning tapestry of a novel. This book swept me away on the very first page, and kept me breathlessly diving deeper and deeper into a story so rich in character, atmosphere, and exquisite suspense. Elegant, propulsive, and utterly unputdownable HER DARK L ...more
Chelsea | thrillerbookbabe
First of all, thank you so much to J.T. Ellison, Bookclubbish, and HTP Books for my free copy of this book. I loved Good Girls Lie, so I was so excited to get my hands on Her Dark Lies! It was so well written and immediately captured my attention. Someone asked me if it was similar to The Guest List, and maybe a bit by plot, but nothing like it in writing. This book is captivating and dynamic, and I loved it!

Thoughts: I really enjoyed all the dynamics at play in this book. All of the characters
Wendy
Mar 19, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 5000-2021, mar-21, wom-21
New York Times Best Selling Author J. T. Ellison gives us a twisted thriller with "Her Dark Lies". Her Taylor Jackson and Samantha Owens series are two of my favourites!
For Claire Hunter her dream wedding on a beautiful island, off the coast of Italy, is turning into a nightmare. When a raging storm begins, all power is lost, and a killer is on the loose!
Every character involved (and there are many) has a secret.
With lengthy descriptions the author paints a vivid picture of this alluring island

• White Out (Badlands Thriller, #1)
  • One by One
  • Transcendent Kingdom
  • The Searcher
  • Troubles in Paradise (Paradise, #3)
  • Suspicious Circumstances (Badge of Honor #4)
  • You Betrayed Me (The Cahills #3)
  • Silver Creek Fire (Silver Creek, #1)
  • The Girl from Widow Hills
  • The Cousins
  • Alex Six
  • Deadlock (FBI Thriller, #24)
  • Backlash (Capital Intrigue, #2)
  • Silent Bite (Andy Carpenter #22)
  • This Secret Thing
  • Class Mom (Class Mom, #1)
  • The Four Winds
  • Cobble Hill
See top shelves…
J.T. Ellison is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of more than 25 novels, and the EMMY® award winning co-host of the literary TV show A WORD ON WORDS. She also writes urban fantasy under the pen name Joss Walker.

With millions of books in print, her work has won critical acclaim, prestigious awards, been optioned for television, and has been published in 28 countries.

J.T. lives

Articles featuring this book

“Love is simply a word we use to explain the biochemical nature of species propagation. It’s something we use to justify the base desire to experience pleasure with another person when in fact it’s just about making procreation more palatable. We say we’re in love, but what we really mean is we want to connect so we don’t feel so alone, and in so doing, create stronger familial constructs that allow us to fend off other familial constructs who want to take what we have.” 1 likes
“If adventures will not befall a young lady in her own Village, she must seek them abroad.” —Jane Austen, Northanger Abbey” 1 likes