Start by marking “Just Like That (Albin Academy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Just Like That (Albin Academy, #1)

Just Like That

(Albin Academy #1)

Summer Hemlock never meant to come back to Omen, Massachusetts.

But with his mother in need of help, Summer has no choice but to return to his hometown, take up a teaching residency at the Albin Academy boarding school—and work directly under the man who made his teenage years miserable.

Professor Fox Iseya.

Forbidding, aloof, commanding: psychology instructor Iseya is a ciph
Published June 30th 2020 by Carina Adores

To ask other readers questions about Just Like That, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Just Like That

Start your review of Just Like That (Albin Academy, #1)
* A Reader Obsessed *
3.5 Hearts

Full disclosure. I’ve never read anything by Cole McCade or his other alter ego Xen., but that doesn’t mean I haven't seen him around GR with the multitudes of praise he’s gotten especially over his Criminal Intentions series. Hence, I’ve been intrigued, and when this came across the blog, I thought why not? The publisher states that this is a “highly romantic contemporary love story”, and if that’s what you’re seeking, then come on over!

As per the blurb, Summer returns home and to the
Lyn❤Loves❤Listening #AUDIOBOOKADDICT
Audio 4.5 Stars
Story....3.25 to 3.5 Stars

I can't put my finger on why I didn't enjoy this more. All I know is that having read and loved several Cole McCade books, I expected more. The writing is still outstanding, but the story lacked a certain je ne sais quoi. 🤷🏽‍♀️
Bex (Beckie Bookworm)

Genre-wise this is a M/M age-gap romance.
It was very well written and instantly drew me in with its easy style.
This had such a beautiful flow to it and the prose used here was just so lyrical.
Summer Hemlock returns to his roots in Omen Massachusetts to be close to his mother and to take up a position as a TA at his former school Albin Academy.
Summer is now working under his former teacher and crush’s shadow the frosty and rigid processor Fox Iseya.
When the professor brings attention to Summers r
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
#1 Just Like That ★★★★★
#2 Just Like This

How strange, he thought. How strange indeed, that the world suddenly became more real, more crisp, the colors sharper about the edges in the slow span of breaths it took to wait for Summer to answer.

Good gods, where do I even begin with how utterly trash I am for Cole's characters, and how wholly captivated I am by this story?

But in certain circumstances, someone's name could be a love word. Intimate and shivering, rolling off the tongue.

As I've foun
Nicola
Jun 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020-reads, m-m
4.5 stars.

It’s off to an all-boys boarding school for the first in Cole McCade’s Albin Academy series where the focus is very much on the staff’s extra-curricular activities, and in this case that’s the blossoming romance between Professor Fox Iseya and Albin-alumni/his new teaching assistant, Summer Hemlock.

description One kiss for one brave thing each day?”

Aside of the fact I’ve been reading the author’s work for years, the blurb for this sucked me right in from the mention of an aloof, guarded prof
Sabrina
Jul 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
NOW LIVE!
Amazon US * Amazon UK

I love the mix of a super shy and quiet character and a grumpy and stand-offish one and this book did that combination so well. Summer and Fox blended their differences together amazingly well and it made for a very sweet and tender romance. There were a lot of moment that we got to see the unsure Summer actually be brave and stand up to the easily irritated Fox. It was a surprising thing to see just how much that happened since Summer was so shy most of the time bu
Chris  C - A Midlife Wife
This book is a wonderful, heartfelt, touching surprise.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Looking for a change of pace I decided to read and review this book. I’ve never heard of the author and the synopsis sounded intriguing.

Even from the first few chapters I knew this book was going to be something special. The ability to write in a markedly different manner just really sets this book apart.

This is a male/male relationship but just the way the author describes and tells the story is in a very sensiti
Lisazj1
It's a fact that I love everything I've read from Cole McCade/Xen Sanders so far. His characterizations and his writing are among the very best that I've read, and that applies here as well.

I really loved Summer and Fox. They are true opposites in every way, age, experience, outlook and personality. I enjoyed the way they played off each other and the development between them, both individually and as a couple, (view spoiler)
Claire
Jul 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: shit-hot-series
4 - ...Be brave… Stars!

It has been a while since I have read anything by Cole McCade, and the first time for it to be an M/M offering. Truth be told I am not a huge M/M reader in general, but on occasion I like to dip a toe into the genre, and the synopsis for this one sounded right up my ‘trope preference’ alley.

Ready to start again. Ready to try…

Age gap romance, with a touch of the forbidden; TA to Professor, are both themes that I enjoy, and Summer’s eager pursuance of his old tutorly
Santy
When I read the blurb and subsequently requested for this ARC, I assumed I knew exactly what I was about to read; i.e. a simple novel about a former student who returns to school and wins over his former professor. I honestly do not know why I thought that when Cole McCade's books are as far from "simple" as can ever be.

This was a book chock full of brilliantly flowing language used to weave a nuanced tale about overcoming grief, the rebirth of something thought to have been lost, and the discov
Ariana
Jul 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
4,25 stars

Emotionally intense.
Beautifully poetic.
Deeply complex.

What I loved about this:

1. Both MCs are very relatable, and I rooted for them from the bottom of my heart. Summer is so positive, so full of energy and light “a puppy in human form”, while Fox, the ”resident ice queen of Albin Academy for decades” is so vulnerable and raw once we get to know him better.

2. The age gap: Fox is about 20 years older than Summer. Loved that although the age gap is there, it’s ultimately not defining the
Sahitya
CW: anxiety and on page panic attacks, depression, talk of suicidal ideation, bullying, loss of spouse and parent in the past.
There are other content warnings which are mentioned in the beginning of the book.

I know I don’t read enough ownvoices gay romance stories even though I like the genre a lot, but I’m always looking out for more. And Cole McCade is definitely one author I look forward to even though I did abandon his Criminal Intentions aerial after reading nine or ten episodes because i
True Loveislovereview
Jun 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbtq, 2020
Summer Hemlock and Fox Iseya

Oh boy.
Fox Iseya is a sharp-tongued man with an ice-cold demeanor. After his wife died many years ago Fox just stopped living. His attitude is the only thing he has to keep humans at distance.

Summer is a twenty-five, anxious, brave, young, and delicate, who unarmed Fox at first sight.
His soft voice, kind smiles, and knowing eyes, Summer sees right through him.
Fox tries everything to withstand Summer but he never had a chance.

After seven years Summer is back at the e
Mariah
ARC provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I've been crossing days off of my calendar in anticipation for the next book in the Criminal Intentions series, so when I saw a new book by Cole McCade I jumped at the chance to read it.

It took me a second to place the fact that I had briefly met Summer Hemlock in a Baltimore coffee shop with Malcolm Khalaji during Season 1, Episode 10, and that little connection sent a trail of warmth through me, not gonna lie.

Summer'
Leslie
⭐️⭐️⭐️.5/5 Stars. I decided to come back and round up not down. Because a few days later, I’m still thinking about Summer and Fox. 🥰

The good:
✔️I love Cole McCade’s writing. Some have said he has too much of a purple prose thing going on. For me it almost gets to that point once in a while. But mainly, I tend to love it. It feels sensual and lyrical. I can totally sink into it. A personal preference I suppose.
✔️Age gap. Yes please! This is a big one. 20+ years. It was done right. And for those o
Caz
May 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: aar, queer-romance, m-m, arc
I've given this a B at AAR.

The new  Carina Adores  line from Carina Press promises highly romantic, feel-good stories with a strong central trope featuring LGBTQ+ protagonists getting their Happily Ever Afters.  Carina has a pretty strong track record when it comes to queer romance and I’m really looking forward to trying the new-to-me authors in the line as well as to reading new books from ‘old’ favourites.  Cole McCade has been on my radar for a while (I even have some of the books in his
Gustaf
This did... not work for me.

This was a slippery road of one unbelievable scene after the other. Nothing made sense, nothing was realistic (which I usually don't have a problem with but when it's too much even I am taken aback).
Some scenes actually made me angry.

One star for the writing though. The actual words were beautiful at times.
Trio
An absolutely lovely romance.

In Just Like That Cole McCade spins a tender and emotional story. The characters are deep and intricate, and their relationship is wonderfully complex. With the added bonus of Cole McCade’s truly beautiful writing, Just Like That is a moving story I won’t soon forget.

Audio performed by Kirt Graves, his deep and rumbly tone lends itself well to the angst in this story.

a copy of Just Like That was provided by NetGalley for the purpose of my honest review
Pam
Sep 28, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ku, own
I liked the first 80%, but the end didn't work for me AT ALL. I have never been so happy to see a book end at 94%!! (There's a long preview for another book at the end of the KU download.) Both the writing and plot went so far off the rails for me that it will probably be a while before I try anything else from this author, even though he's always been a solid 3-star writer for me. I wouldn't recommend it, but if you know you're a particular fan of his writing style, you'll probably be fine. ...more
Evie Drae
I received a copy of this book via the publisher and NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Despite having quite an extensive back list, Cole McCade is a new-to-me author. However, I knew I absolutely had to get my hands on this story the moment I read the blurb. There was just something about it that cried out to my readerly heart and demanded my immediate and undivided attention. And I must say, Just Like That followed through quite nicely with its promise.

First and foremost, I fell for Su
Angie
Jun 30, 2020 rated it did not like it
I’ll take shit that would never happen in the real world and is most likely a repurposed fanfic from an anime written by a middle schooler for 600, Alex

Would not recommend to serious romance readers
Valerie ❈M/M Romance Junkie❈
I have to admit that the only other book that I’ve read by this author is Over and Over Again. I’ve never read any of the Criminal Intentions books, but I get the impression that the writing in those books is very different from this. This is all I know, and I love it. I can read this type of book all day long. I loved everything about it. It was wonderfully narrated by Kirt Graves. Dreamy sigh. I’m happy. ...more
Joyfully Jay
Jul 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kenna
A Joyfully Jay review.

I love May/December love stories. They’ve always appealed to me, so when I read the blurb for Just Like That, I grabbed it up. I have to say, at first, I had a difficult time with it. It felt as if it was moving at a snail’s pace, and there was nothing particularly interesting happening. I actually put it down for several days, then came back to it. You guys, I wish I’d have never put it down because it turned into fantastic book! While the first half dragged alon
h ♡
after seven years, summer hemlock is returning to omen, massachusetts for a new job at albin academy as a TA for guarded, cold professor fox iseya—who he was infatuated with as a teenager.

◦ so i was actually really excited for this one from the first page, since right off the bat it was clear that this is a super well-written book: mccade's prose is lush and enthralling, easy to fall into. but the story itself ultimately fell short. it reads like fanfiction—by no means is that a bad thing, neces
haletostilinski
4.5 stars!

My first read of this author outside his CI series and I gotta say that I loved it.

This is about Summer Hemlock who we met briefly in season 1 of CI when Malcolm met him at like a coffee house for a talk.

Summer grew up in a small town called Omen (interesting name :p) and his father worked at probably the town's biggest attraction - Albin Academy, an all boys private high school. Summer grew up with his mother, and they grew up poor, and Summer had gotten in by a scholarship.

And whe
Ezinwanyi Chinyere
This story was okay for me. I had hoped for a faster pace love story but it was a happy one. I am always appreciative of an ending that makes me smile. It just didn’t wow me.

Summer Hemlock returned to his home town to become a Teaching Assistant at his former high school. He was reunited with his former professor whom he had a crush on back in the day, Professor Fox Iseya.

Now that they are somewhat colleagues, Summer makes his move and kisses Fox who doesn’t rebuff him. Instead he issues Summer
Louis Muñoz
Aug 19, 2020 rated it liked it
I received a free electronic copy of this book from NetGalley for an honest review of this book.

I’ve given this book three stars, although it’s really closer to a 3.5. I found parts of the romance compelling, although I can’t say that I completely bought the two main characters, nor how their blossoming relationship played out so publicly (and to kind, a bit recklessly) in the setting of a small private school. (Example: Multiple intimate moments in a school office, where any student or staff me
Sol ~ TheBookishKing
All I have to say about everything that happened in this is a simple, "No <3" ...more
Lori¸¸¸.•*❀Ɍɛɑɗs̱LɪƙɛIʈs̱H̱ɛɍJɔɓ  유❤유
Although this wasn't my favorite of Cole's books, the writing was still lovely. It's just that the story wasn't very exciting. ...more
Kazen
Just Like That is this month's addition to the Carina Adores line, huzzah! I've been meaning to read McCade and this is a fine introduction.

Before I go any further I want to point out that there are tropes with squick potential including age gap (24/pushing 50) and the fact that this is a teacher/former student romance. The content warnings are detailed at the front, but I especially want to point out anxiety (including a panic attack on the page) and suicidal ideation.

The romance is hurt/comfor
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Better Than People (Garnet Run, #1)
  • Best Laid Plans (Garnet Run, #2)
  • Trade Deadline (Hat Trick, #3)
  • Feel the Fire (Hotshots #3)
  • Common Goal (Game Changers, #4)
  • High Heat (Hotshots, #2)
  • Best Laid Plaids (Kilty Pleasures #1)
  • The Sex Coach
  • Burn Zone (Hotshots, #1)
  • The Virgin King
  • Bathhouse Confessions: M/M Gay Erotica Bundle
  • Hungry Hearts
  • The Hideaway Inn (Seasons of New Hope #1)
  • The First Date
  • Beautiful Beast (Those Other Books, #4)
  • Abstract Love
  • Murphy's Law (Havenwood #2)
  • Coffee Girl (Coffee Book #1)
Slender. Angry. (Part) Asian.

Yeah, that about sums me up.

Hi. I’m Cole. Xen. Whatever you want to call me; both are true, and both are lies. My pen names are multitudes, my nicknames legion. Tall, bi/queer, introverted author of a brown-ish persuasion made up of various flavors of Black, Asian, and Native American. I’m cuter than Hello Kitty, more bitter than the blackest coffee, and able to trip o

Albin Academy (2 books)
  • Just Like This (Albin Academy, #2)

News & Interviews

“You break me until I can’t be cold anymore...you make me feel so much, and that frightens me so terribly.” 0 likes