Start by marking “Unscripted” as Want to Read:
Unscripted

Unscripted

Movie star 101: A smile hides all pain.

Quellcrist King has been playing a part his entire life. The more famous he becomes, the more he hides. The only person he ever let see the real him rose with him from nothing to the very top.

They were the king and queen of Hollywood— and then she wanted a divorce. The only way to survive his depression is to bury himself in work. If
Kindle Edition, 1st edition, 280 pages
Published November 6th 2019 by Graybooks

To ask other readers questions about Unscripted, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unscripted

Start your review of Unscripted
Cadiva
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Pretty sure this was my first book by this author and I absolutely loved it.

It would make a fantastic romantic comedy film and it had just the right balance between angst and humour to stop it becoming stale or too obvious.

It's actually quite a slow burn, with Hale and Quellcrist (and I'm sorry but his name - possibly an homage to the Altered Carbon character - made me laugh each time I saw it in full) becoming best friends first.

Quell is still reeling from his separation and his wife is still
.Lili.
Nov 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m
Unscripted by JR Gray was ok. For some reason, I had a hard time connecting to the characters as a couple- both great guys, but together I wasn't invested. I found the story a little slow-moving, and I felt like some aspects of the story weren't completely fleshed out, and not having an epilogue didn't help. If you've read my reviews before- you know I love me an epilogue. I want to know that characters are living happy lives, and I didn't get that feeling from Unscripted. The end was a ...more
Ky
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, read-2019
Quell and Hale started off as co-stars that slowly evolved to friends and confidantes before they eventually became a couple. The UST during the first 50% of the story was unbelievable between them, especially considering that their characters had a complicated romantic relationship in the series.

When they met, Quell was an already known and highly paid actor, while Hale struggled to make ends meet with whatever part he could score so he wouldn't have to work a second job to support himself.

Lizzie
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
Okay...so clearly I'm in the minority. Like, really in the minority. But I must be honest with my rating and review.

If you don't want spoilers of the book please do not continue reading.

First off, I was not blown away. This is my first book by J.R. Gray. I read it because I was intrigued by the description of the story.

So, I'm just going to get right into what was interesting and what I liked, and what I didn't like.

For anyone who's read any of my other reviews, you may have come across me
Waleska 'Wally'
4.5 Brilliant Stars ! A slow burn story that gave me all the feels.

Unscripted by J.R. Gray is one of those stories that grabs your interest and curiosity from the first chapter . And as the story unfolds , it throw you into a maelstrom of emotions that it's near impossible to stop reading or/and thinking about it until the end.

A tale that smartly and with a lot of compassion deals with mental health issues as depression ; as well as, friendship, loneliness, self discovery/sexual
Denise H.
* A wonderful tale of deep longing and first true love. These two men each need what the other can give.
Quell, @29, is a famous movie star

who bought the rights to an M/M fantasy adventure to make for streaming TV. Quell will be the kidnapped Prince Flint. He's very excited to begin his princely role, and it will take his mind off of his separation from his wife, and the divorce.
Hale is 24, 6'4" tall, a lean and younger unknown actor,

who is perfect for the part of the sexy pirate, Sehver.

haletostilinski

I debated with myself whether to round up or down with this, but too many things bothered for me to round up to 4 stars.

So I really liked parts of this. Quell and Hale's - interesting first names - growing friendship and romance for part of the first half was good and I was loving this. Despite some typos or weirdly worded sentences or grammatical things here and there like no comma when there should have been, I was enjoying it, and it wasn't so overt that it took enjoyment out of
Myriam
Fandom has perfected the "Gay For You Friends To Lovers On A Film Set/Movie Set" formula ages ago so the bar this had to clear for me was high. Unfortunately the author mostly phoned it in and failed at establishing the most basic requirements to make this kind of story work.

Let's start with the friendship. There isn't really one. Sure, we are told over and over again that Quell and Hale are Best Friends but are they really? They fall in lust at first sight at the audition, proceed to awkward
Elizabeth A
Nov 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Look, I like a Hollywood romance. A queer Hollywood romance? Even better. And this one seemed really promising in an indulgent way (our megastar's name is Quellcrist King, I had no illusions here), especially with a protagonist dealing with depression (with a name like Quellcrist, who could blame him). And I did quite like the first half of this book when everything was on-set banter and increasingly obvious pining.

The writing started to fall off in the second half. The influence of the evil
Steph ☀️
Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Awe

I really and truly liked this one, even with a few flaws . Even with the whole friend thing seeming a bit more weighted for one more than the other, the story still had me. It seriously had me wishing there might be a bit more to their story; maybe even a possible two book series. Regardless, the ending did leave the two MCs in a good place.
Lori
Nov 16, 2019 added it
DNF at 30% for now at least.

The writing just wasn't working for me. It was confusing, like English isn't the author's native language. It was kind of proper and there was slang that I hadn't heard before and I couldn't find when I tried to look it up which made it more confusing. It took me out of the story that I was already having a hard time following.

Maybe it's the wrong book at the wrong time and maybe I'll try again later. It just didn't gel for me.
Liber_Lady
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really good slow burn MM Romance
Also an Own Voice book.
Between two actors.
The chemistry was really good.
I love that the romance developed over time.
It's a little long but I really liked these characters.
Between a straight actor playing a role of queer guy, and it starts from there..
Highly recommend it..
Donna
Nov 07, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars!
Calila
*Received A Free Copy To Review From The Author*

This is a bit complicated. I really liked the characters, the plot was interesting. That was all good. But MAN did the middle drag. So much hand wringing and waffling. Just MAKE A CHOICE. This book could've stood to lose at least 20% of "oh no, I like him but he can't possibly like me back, so I'm going to just be his friend and angst." from both men. Sometimes that works, but in this case I wasn't a fan. However I did enjoy the initial set up and
Mandy Jones
Nov 08, 2019 rated it did not like it
I tried, but just can't finish

I tried with this book. I read word for word until the character that didn't have depression started talking about his depression. Confused? Me too. Then I started skimming. When it said no one knew about him and his wife being split up except Mel and he'd already told Elle twice I was done.
I rarely leave negative reviews, but this book had potential. The idea was great. It needs A LOT of work though. The characters need more depth, not more problems, more
N.M. Pratt
Nov 10, 2019 rated it liked it
This book had a lot of potential...
Unfortunately typos, boring dialogue, and mixing up the MC’s names took me out of the story.
I ended up scanning the second half of the book. This one wasn’t for me.
AussieMum
Dec 06, 2019 marked it as nope-not-for-me-not-interested
DNF 31%
Inconsistencies. Editing issues. Other reviewers have gone into detail about these, so I won’t. I was interested in the characters and the setup, but the writing isn’t strong enough for me to keep going.
Lisa
Dec 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow

This is a new to me author, but the cover, title, and blurb drew me. Quellcrist (interesting name) and Hale have such an awesome story. Quell is going through a divorce, struggles with depression, and has to act out gay scenes with an openly gay co-star. Both he and Hale are good guys who are considerate and I love them. Quell's ex sucks big time but they do have good friends who are supportive.

This isn't just a light and fluffy love story. It is so many feels, ups and downs, I was totally
Lea Setegn
Dec 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I can’t get this book out of my head. I loved Quill and Hale, and I HAVE to know what happens next!!! I really hope there’s a sequel, because I feel like there’s more in store for them.
Joyfully Jay
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: michelle
A Joyfully Jay review.

4 stars

This is a strong book from J.R. Gray and I enjoyed reading about Quell and Hale. Quell is already a successful actor and Hale is trying to find his hit and there is about ten years between the men.

Although Quell is highly successful, he suffers from anxiety and depression. He relied a lot on his wife and the routine of the life they had helped him, but now that they are separated, Quell doesn’t know what to do besides work. His separation is not public knowledge;
Brandi
It's been a long time since I've sat down with an MM book and just devoured it.
It's been a long time since I've found that love for a story, one that wouldn't let me put it down.

JR Gray gave me that love of reading, that love of inclusion, that love of storytelling. He gave me that with Unscripted.

I don't know why this one spoke to me as much as it did, but from the first snippet I saw over on B+M, I knew this would be a book I would read.
I don't know which part appealed to me the most, but
Valeen Robertson (Live Thru Books Blog)

When Hale is cast in the role of a lifetime aside a gorgeous, very straight, Quell, it changes his life in more ways than just professionally. When a friendship springs up between the two men, neither expected the way things would end up. Will Quell be able to be out with Hale AND keep his career? How long is Hale willing to be kept a secret?

Unscripted is a slow burn story that deals with some serious subjects. I like how the author treated the mental health issues that Quell suffered from, and
Jojo92
Jan 08, 2020 rated it liked it
Thé pitch was perfect and the caractère also but it was missing something, a little bit to much talking of the depression and not enough of sex and fun. The end was cut short.
JenCW
Nov 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, contemporary
4.25 Stars!

Quell is trying to bury himself in work, especially a new series where he'll play the role of a gay character. He loved the books that the show is based on and can't wait to bring it to life. Hale comes to the show's cast call expecting to read for a minor part, only to find himself meeting Quell and reading for a main character. It was an amazing experience, but he never expected to get the role, let alone become friends with Quell.

This story is a bit of a slow burn. I enjoyed
Cee Brown
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
•*) .•*)
(.•4.5 hawt stars.

"I'd never feel this way about another person again. I was soul tied to him. ~Quell

November 10, 2019 –
So. The moment I saw this book advertised I knew I'd be reading it. Thanks to my friend A for gifting me with a copy. She heard about it all during "gushing session" during our three week road trip this fall.

As for the book. I. Just. Can't!

Truthfully, paranormal is as close as I get to fantasy. But this is truly fascinating. One well known actor, Quell decides to
Kelly
Nov 30, 2019 rated it liked it
2 1/2 - 3 stars

Unscripted is a m/m romance which features a slow developing romance between the 2 main characters Quell and Hale. Both are experiencing strong attraction and feelings for the other but are hesitant to act on those feelings for the majority of the book. I enjoy reading m/m romances, and this is the first I've read by this author. It was an okay read.

SPOILERS BELOW

The relationship drama thrown in right at the end ( 90% + Mark ) had me thinking Unscripted wasn't a standalone, and
Natosha Wilson
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a truly amazing read. It has topics that are a major issue in life for some like Depression and mental illnesses such as depression. But it so much more then that. It is a book about ones life seemingly falling apart only to figure out what truly living means. Sometimes it takes stepping out of our comfort zone to find what truly makes us happy and to learn things about ourselves that we may have never explored. This book has drama upon drama in it but I will say that it may be drama ...more
JD Crittendon
Nov 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Never Too Late To Find The Real You!

“Straight” Actor Quell & struggling Actor Hale weather the romance storm of love. This story was intriguing enough for me to finish the read. However, the storyline seemed off, like I was waiting for the other shoe to drop. I didn’t quite buy the megastar and the unknown actor vibe. Also, the desperate
need to have companionship as a symptom of depression is at odds with the isolation theory. Finally, the lackadaisical conversation about the use of condoms
ButtonsMom2003
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: xd-assigned-read
My first book by this author and I loved it!

Unscripted really packed a punch for me. It's been quite a while since I've read an "out for you/gay for you" story. I know they can be controversial, but I admit that I like them a lot.

Quellcrist King is an actor going through a secret divorce he didn't want but his wife did. He's always thought of himself as straight but the chemistry he has with his new co-star of the new TV series he is producing has him asking himself a lot of questions about his
Ruthie Taylor
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
~~I received a free copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads ~~

I really enjoyed this book - it has so many layers of interest to it, so many questions which it addresses, and such a lovely, slow burn, deep and intense romance at its core.

Quell is the big movie star, perfect marriage, always at his wife's side ... until she decides she's had enough of following him around, and that though he needs to support her public events for the next 18 months, they should quietly divorce. This
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Guy in the Window
  • Adore (On My Knees Duet #2)
  • Someday, Someday
  • Worship (On My Knees Duet, #1)
  • Boyfriend 101 (Fever Falls #6)
  • Rocket Science (Love Logic, #1)
  • I'm Straight, Right?
  • The Christmas Deal
  • Best Man (Close Proximity, #1)
  • The Night (Love in O'Leary #5)
  • After the Crash (Small Town Hearts #1)
  • Mr. Right Now
  • Beautiful Temptation (So This Is Christmas #2)
  • Reunion (Ace's Wild #7)
  • A Boyfriend for Christmas
  • Lust Hate Love (Fallen Angel, #4)
  • Just a Bit Dirty (Straight Guys, #10)
  • The Mysterious and Amazing Blue Billings (Black and Blue #1)
When not staying up all night writing, J.R. Gray can be found at the gym where it's half assumed he is a permanent resident to fulfill his self-inflicted masochism. A dominant and a pilot, Gray finds it hard to be in the passenger seat of any car. He frequently interrupts real life, including normal sleep patterns and conversations, to jot down notes or plot bunnies. Commas are the bane of his ...more