Start by marking “Cormyr” as Want to Read:
Cormyr

Cormyr

(Forgotten Realms: Cormyr Saga #1)

Cormyr has been ruled by the Obarskyr family since its inception one and a half millennia ago. Now its King, Azoun IV, lies on his deathbed, and the vultures are circling, hoping to usurp the throne for their own. Against this crisis of state, the history of the Forest Kingdom unfolds, relating the previously untold story of a nation, its rulers, and its wizards.
Published December 3rd 2005 by TSR (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Cormyr, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cormyr

Start your review of Cormyr
Daran
Feb 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: forgotten-realms
There are some good forgotten realms books, and some bad forgotten realms books. The same can be said of the writings of Ed Greenwood. On both counts, this was a solid one.

This first novel in The Cormyr Saga chronicles the history of the Kingdom of Cormyr, and tells the story of the poisoning of King Azoun IV. There are two narratives in this novel. The first is a Edward Rutherford style series of vignettes which highlights important moments in Cormyr's history. The second narrative is a mystery
Sicofonia
May 14, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Unless you are a AD&D die hard fan... avoid this book at all cost. The plot is UBER repetitive here, basically the history of the Cormyr kingdom thru different generations and all the conspiracies that several noblemen do upon each king. And it is the same again again and again.
On parallel there goes the current story about... you guessed it, a conspiracy against king Azoun.

I made the mistake of reading another book from Ed Greenwood, this guy should be banned from writing. And I just want to ma
Jeffrey
Aug 19, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: D & D fans
Shelves: fantasy
Imaginary conversation between TSP and Ed Greenwood.

TSP -- Ed we want to tap into the D & D market.

TSP -- Can you write a history of Comyr and its ruling family.

Ed -- Thats a great idea. I'll write a book about the background of a popular D & D game.

Thats all this novel really is. Its well written because Greenwood and Grubb are good writers but its not a story per se. Its kind of like McCaffrey writing the story of Robinton's life or Eddings writing about Belgarath and Polgara.
Jesse
Aug 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: forgotten-realms
I'm not sure how I missed adding this book review when I read it.

I don't recall everything, and I will say that while I've read many of his books and short stories in an attempt to fully immerse myself in Forgotten Realms, I am not a fan of Greenwood's writing.

With that said, I recall really enjoying this book. Some of his best work, as it is choke full of history of Cormyr and a great intro to the rest of the series that takes place in this kingdom.

If you are going to read anything by Greenwoo
Ward G
This has some very interesting openings.
Between dragon and kingdom.

Yet prove to be a very frustrating read.
It serves as a current storyline for Cormyr.
Then at the same time. Provides a historical timeline for the kingdom.

Which results in a back and forth tale.
One chapter current story. Next chapter short story from the past.
It bounces back and forth like this. Through the entire novel.
Most past tales single or two chapters.

Each introducing new characters. That likely have no bearing on anything.
Pierre
Feb 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading this book. It combined the elements of mystery and fantasy literature very well. The book had me spellbound and sitting at the edge of my seat. It was a real page turner.

Unfortunately, this book suffered from two minor flaws. The first flaw was that the book shifted back and forth every chapter between a historic story and the main story. I found myself confused a number of times, thinking that I was reading about one time line, but I was reading about another. The second flaw
J.G. Keely
Apr 10, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: novel, fantasy
I just remembered that I read this, back when I was hugely into big, fat fantasy books. However, I don't think I can recall a single character, event, or scene from the whole thing--which is particularly odd for me, since with every other book I've ever read, I at least remember the basic plot and a few choice moments. Clearly this one, beyond all others, was entirely unremarkable.

Forgotten Realms indeed.
Christopher Hines
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fantasy novels have long served as my go to for reading. Likewise, Dungeons & Dragons has always been something of my favorite past time. So, when I was presented with the chance to read Ed Greenwod’s Cormyr and be able to claim it as research for craft, I more than happily jumped on the chance.

What follows in the pages of Cormyr is an all-around good romp through the history of Cormyr, one of the most successful Kingdoms in the Forgotten Realms setting. Cormyr is ruled by a benevolent monarch,
Katrin
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
Although this book had everything that could make it truly great, I really disliked it. First of all half the book is about a dying king and the conspiracies that develop, nobles trying to grab as much as they can once the king is dead. This was endless pages with politics, intrigues and such. It got very boring, the few times there was some action couldn't save it. Secondly the other part of the book is the whole history of cormyr, told in interrupting chapters with huge time jumps. Why, oh why ...more
Kagan Oztarakci
Dec 02, 2017 rated it liked it
"A poor workman blames his tools."

"It was not a meeting they had time for but then it was not a meeting they could afford to miss, either."

"a lot of us believe what we want to believe and not what the world shows us to be the truth."

"unique method of crashing head-on into problems and wrestling them into submission without ever understanding them"
Kevin Knapp
May 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
May be my favorite Forgotten Realms novel. Tells the history of Cormyr and its royal & magical dynasty through an ingenious flashback story structure. ...more
Chris
Dec 09, 2018 rated it liked it
An interesting, almost historical look at one of the kingdoms of the Forgotten Realms.
J.H. Lillevik
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
A fun read, at least if you like the Forgotten Realms books.
Alice
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Although an avid D&D player, I've never actually read any of the fiction surrounding it apart from the Dragonlance Chronicles. This hit the nail on the head in terms of world - place names cropped up I knew, races acted as I expected, the names were utterly unpronouncable, and so on. The book had me gripped until about halfway through.

The problem with the ending is that rather than continuing to be a play by play of how epic the world had been up until this point - the trials and tribulations of
Scott
Aug 02, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: epic-fantasy
I was pleasantly surprised by this book. I credit Ed Greenwood for incredibly world-building skills and painstaking attention to detail to fill in the nooks and crannies of the Forgotten Realms while still leaving plenty of options for dungeon masters and players to make up their own stories. However, I had not been terribly impressed with his novels before this one when a forum friend on the Candlekeep website recommended this. The story itself is passably told, but the chapters that are compos ...more
Mark
I am a sucker, as mentioned, for march through history books in certain fantasy settings - assuming I am already invested in it, of course. A march through history book about Cormyr is cool because Cormyr is cool. You read the setting book and it stands out as a neat flavor kind of place, or at least it did to me.

Now it's a tumultuous time and as an aging monarch fades away, the history is related to see how we got here. It's cool and I don't care if it probably sucks, because I was 17 at the ti
Marianne
Aug 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Cormyrians
Shelves: mine, fantasy
A history of Cormyr, alternating chapters between distant past and relatively recent, until the two meet. Though some of the recent chapters took a paragraph or two before I could pick up the new thread, when switching scenes, I still felt the book kept a good pace and interest throughout, with a solid writing style.

Not a story to recommend to all my friends, but one I wouldn't mind reading again down the line, and more enjoyable than a lot of the other FR pulp.
Eyjólfur Örn Jónsson
Jun 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
The very first book my fiancée gave me and the start of my love affair with the Forgotten Realms. I had read quite a few FR books previously but Ed Greenwoods fantastic writing in this book really drew me in and has yet to let me go.

I´ll be the first to admit that the FR series are not the first nor even the last thing in proper literature but my view is that they´re a lot of fun and provide an easy and fun break from reality.
Dave
Dec 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very Good 2nd Edition D&D fantasy fiction about a country I'd long been interested in: Cormyr. When I was 16 I visited my sister in Boston and she bought me the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting boxed set for my birthday. I devoured the contents and came to greatly admire the country of Cormyr. This long delayed read was great for me. Ed Greenwood is masterful. ...more
Jax
Oct 17, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, recommended
the concept was good but the writing, wow. these guys cannot write conversations to save their life...and their female characters...and like..what the hell happened to the other daughter? so many things were wrong.
Timothy Boyd
Jan 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I picked this book up on a fluke, but enjoyed it greatly. A fantastic telling of the current story occurring in the kingdom with alternating chapters of the history of the realm. Awesome book, highly recommended
Ramon
Mar 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: forgotten-realms
It is an interesting style of writing, alternating between the present and the history of Cormyr. What I didn't like was the amount of unnecessary characters introduced that served no real purpose, only to be forgotten in the next chapter. But all in all, it was a fun and enjoyable read.
Searska GreyRaven
Aug 01, 2014 rated it it was ok
The time-skipping is what really failed here for me. It started off fascinating, and just fell off about half-way through.
Nate
Oct 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was my first foray into Forbidden Realms fantasy books. I normally stay away from fantasy, but I was happily surprised to see some depth to the writing, plot, and characters.
Jeff Thetford
Aug 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wonderfully done history of Cormyr flashing back every other chapter to its beginning. Well done!
Rick
Jan 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: forgotten-realms
As we set our D&D group in Cormyr, this was an interesting read for me. ...more
Leorin
May 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The first Forgotten Realms book I read and I'm now a huge fan. I hope that pays credit to this book.
David Magnenat
Nov 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Forgotten Realms geeks only need apply, and then only those with a deep and abiding interest in the Realms' history. A bit long in the read otherwise. While I enjoyed it, I meet the qualifications.
Madhu Prashanth
Jan 28, 2013 rated it liked it
The narration starts of well. However, each chapter moves back and forth in timeline. This is not helpful for my reading style, 10 pages per day :(.
Yael
May 12, 2013 rated it liked it
it was a nice book, loved the history lessons but it didnt tie up to the plot which is a major disadvantage

• Exile (Forgotten Realms: The Dark Elf Trilogy, #2; Legend of Drizzt, #2)
  • Sojourn (Forgotten Realms: The Dark Elf Trilogy, #3; Legend of Drizzt, #3)
  • Evermeet: Island of the Elves
  • The Sea Devil's Eye (Forgotten Realms: The Threat from the Sea, #3)
  • The Pirate King (Forgotten Realms: Transitions, #2; Legend of Drizzt, #18)
  • Redemption's Blade (After The War, #1)
  • The Orc King (Forgotten Realms: Transitions, #1; Legend of Drizzt, #17)
  • Homeland (Forgotten Realms: The Dark Elf Trilogy, #1; Legend of Drizzt, #1)
  • Blackstaff (Forgotten Realms: The Wizards, #1)
  • Rising Tide (The Threat from the Sea #1)
  • Under Fallen Stars (Forgotten Realms: The Threat from the Sea, #2)
  • The Crystal Shard (Forgotten Realms: Icewind Dale, #1; Legend of Drizzt, #4)
  • Crusade (Forgotten Realms: Empires, #3)
  • Free the Darkness (King's Dark Tidings #1)
  • Streams of Silver (Forgotten Realms: Icewind Dale, #2; Legend of Drizzt, #5)
  • The Wheel of Osheim (The Red Queen's War, #3)
  • The Halfling's Gem (Forgotten Realms: Icewind Dale, #3; Legend of Drizzt, #6)
  • Song Of The Saurials (Forgotten Realms: Finder's Stone, #3)
Ed Greenwood is the creator of the Forgotten Realms fantasy world, which became the setting for his home D&D game in 1975. Play still continues in this long-running campaign, and Ed also keeps busy producing Realmslore for various TSR publications.

Ed has published over two hundred articles in Dragon magazine and Polyhedron newszine, is a lifetime charter member of the Role Playing Game Associaton

Forgotten Realms: Cormyr Saga (3 books)
  • Beyond The High Road (Forgotten Realms: Cormyr Saga, #2)
  • Death of the Dragon (Forgotten Realms: Cormyr Saga, #3)

News & Interviews