Start by marking “The Bet” as Want to Read:
The Bet

The Bet

Romantic comedy
Published December 9th 2019 by Independently Published

To ask other readers questions about The Bet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bet

Start your review of The Bet
Mojo_Mama

I wanted so much more from this book. I should have listened to other reviewers. This book covers issues potentially catastrophic to a marriage’s foundation and never shows HOW these issues were overcome.

It’s fucking criminal.
The author failed in her delivery.
COMPLETELY.

I only learned that men were, essentially, pigs if given the chance. Her husband was gross. And because BOTH of their behavior/adventures were so egregious they needed to be dealt with, I needed to know WHY and HOW they
Rejane
Mar 29, 2020 marked it as no-way-jose  ·  review of another edition
Beside all the negative reviews, I am also judging this book by its cover. Ridiculous cover. Read the reviews peeps, just a bad, horrible plot
Pharmgirl
Mar 18, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Disappointing read

I should have known that outside of the couple's bet, there would be cheating. While the couple is in the bet time period they both sleep with other people which I don't consider cheating since they were separated but once they get back together, one of them has an affair. The story gets wrapped up and you don't even know how or why. At the end of one chapter things are unresolved and then at the beginning of the next everything is resolved with no explanation. Don't waste your
Ana Laura
🚨🚨🚨SPOILER ALERT 🚨🚨🚨

The blurb's self explanatory but what is left out is that while he has several OW during the time they are apart of course she gets involved with only ONE man.🤦‍♀️ Then the "Zero" who is very dissatisfied when he realizes that his wife has found a partner decides to end the bet and the couple unites again.
Still not satisfied with so much sexism, the author decided to add one more cliche to the plot: when he heard that his woman was VIEWING HAND IN HAND WITH OM (during the be
Píaras Cíonnaoíth
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A well-written contemporary romance that’s insightful, witty and relatable...

Author Orna Landau weaves a very engaging contemporary romance. With intriguing twists and turns, it will easily captivate the reader’s attention from the beginning. The author paints a mesmerising story addressing issues of a middle aged couple in a very vivid and convincing way. In addition, the characters are drawn with great credibility and conviction. It’s a novel that will keep you engaged from the first page to t
Grady
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
‘Nobody said the world was fair…’

Israeli author Orna Landau earned her degree in Comparative Literature and now teaches advanced creative writing while heading the Translated Fiction department at Israel’s largest publishing house. She has also enjoyed success as a journalist, a television critic, and an award winning novelist for both the YA and adult audiences. She lives in Tel Aviv.

Cleverly introducing her story with a tense Prologue titled ‘How to throw your life away while sober,’ Orna writ
R Huiszoon
Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Orna Landau, ‘The Bet’.

As a Hidden Gems ARC reader I received a free copy and promised an honest review. Here it is.

Rating: 5 stars (of 5).

In general: Separation or Love?

Main characters:
- Sarah (45)
A teacher of adult art courses at a community center.
- Ben (48)
Sarah’s husband for 20 years. He makes documentary films.

During a dinner to celebrate Sarah’s 45th birthday Ben tells her that he assumes that now she’s 45 years old she’ll never leave him for she’d “never find anyone else”.
Sarah is puzz
Michelle
2.5-3 stars. I liked the sound of this book because it seemed like it could be thought provoking and it features a married couple. It’s a good premise, but fell short on the delivery even though the writing was fine. I see that it was originally a best seller in Israel and Germany, but it didn’t quite translate to that level for me, however I can overlook the punctuation and typo errors for that reason. Sarah and Ben reminded me of a hippie couple more than anything as far as how to describe the ...more
Sandra Lopez
Apr 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Bet: a 45-year old woman aims to prove to her husband that she is still desirable to others. For a 3-month trial separation, they would be free to do…whatever they wanted.

Of course, the very next day, when Sarah wakes up from the hang-over and the passionate love-making, she wonders if it was a good idea, especially when Ben starts packing right away. Yeah, never make bets when drunk. Can a perfectly good marriage be broken? It’s only for 3 months.

Throughout the story, Sarah and Ben suffer a
Veronica WordsAreMyDrinkOfChoice
Kerry
May 17, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What happened?

Is the book missing a chapter? I know I didn't miss one in my reading. I enjoyed the book, in parts, but on the whole I'm left with a feeling of disappointment. The explanation of how and why the protagonists find their way back to each other is missing. I'm sorry to say that I couldn't recommend this to anyone.
Jamie  Leigh
Disappointing read

First, I would lime to say the writing was ver good. The book flowed easily. With that being said...I finished it. I love romance books. And I really expected this book to be a LOT different than it was. So disappointed.
Cynthia Villarreal Ortiz
Makes you wonder

How it can go from lust to love to mundane in a 20+ year marriage, this is what this book is about.
How a regular couple can make it or brake it?
A great read. Very insightful and it probably rings true to many.
Liked it very much.
Laney Shupe
Sep 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Atypical Romance

- This is pretty different from other romance books I’ve read. It’s premise was entertaining for this long-married reader and it didn’t go where I thought it would. I really enjoyed the authors writing style of letting us analyze the characters for ourselves.
Ela Meir Shmueli
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. Fun, sexy, anyone in a relationship can empathize with the characters. My husband and I enjoyed the reading and we seriously considered to bet
Paige Smith
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Bet was a page turner for me. A unique storyline woven in well-written prose, this book kept me intrigued.

I will definitely read more from this author.
Racquel
Mar 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thought-provoking and witty. Delves into people's inner thoughts and emotions. Thoroughly enjoyed it! ...more
TheReader
Mar 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Witty, romantic, thought provoking. A book that manages to be light and yet smart. Loved it.
Sandie
Mar 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting story with complex characters
Joan G Leavitt
Jul 19, 2020
ronald chuck
Mar 24, 2020
« previous 1 3 next »

• Campus Call Boy (Guilty Pleasures, #1)
  • Mr. Big Ego (Dirty South, #3)
  • Charity (Heaven Hill Shorts #6)
  • Never Love a Rockstar
  • One Hundred Choices (An Aspen Cove Romance Book 12)
  • The Orientation (The Diary Obsession Book 4)
  • Level Up: Level One: Headshot
  • At Last
  • Special Agent Booker (Undercover FBI, #5)
  • Tempting Taste (Cinnamon Roll Alphas, #1)
  • The Heartless Tide (Tide Series, #1)
  • A Taste of Temptation (Layovers #3)
  • Fake Fiancee's Secret Baby
  • The Singles Club (The Club Series #4)
  • Never Leave a Rockstar
  • Royal Rebel (The Haldonia Monarchy #1)
  • Ante Up (The Casino Players Saga Book 3)
  • Living A Lie

News & Interviews

The book gods, in their infinite kindness, have built second chances into the very structure of the modern distribution business. If you miss...