Start by marking “Das goldene Labyrinth.” as Want to Read:
Das goldene Labyrinth.

Das goldene Labyrinth.

3.43  ·  Rating details ·  382 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
Truth or Dare is a dynamic and at times disturbing novel by Celia Rees--an author who has a particular talent for grasping on to the unknown and developing characters and plots which work together so superbly that the reader finds himself lost in a world that once seemed unbelievable but suddenly becomes all too real.

In Truth or Dare, Josh finds himself lost in the centre

Hardcover
Published March 1st 2002 by Hanser Belletristik (first published 2000)

Lubna_y_145510
Sep 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everybody
This book neither stopped surprising me nor fascinating me. Not even for a minute. The several climaxes that it involved were interesting, mysterious, and would get anyone's attention at the same time. The writer made sure that the reader would feel the urge to keep on reading whenever there was a sense of boredom. Reaching the end of the book gave me such a relief after the long fast heart beating moments to know what will happen next. I can say nothing but that it suits all bookworms regardles ...more
C.
Wow, what a joy it was to read such an intense gripping read again! Very, very well written ,so that it strongly held my interest from beginning to end, with no boring parts at all. I love stories of the Unexplained, so was pleased that this element was part of this book, but no fear all will be explained. Mystery, family saga, sci-fi, all melded together perfectly.

Highly recommended for all ages from middle grades up.
Anne
Nov 18, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really gripping Young Adult novel that keeps you turning the pages as more and more mysterious events unfold. Josh is staying at his Grandmother's house over the holidays, he really would rather be anywhere else until he stumbles upon long-kept family secrets. Just what did happen to his Uncle Patrick? Nobody speaks about him, he died in his teens yet there are no photographs, no grave to visit.

Celia Rees uses a very clever plot to uncover the secret of Uncle Patrick that will particularly ap
Rachel
Apr 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's really well paced and very enjoyable even for an adult reader (which most good teen fiction should be I believe.) I like the comparisons between the summer of 1959 and the current days and how children are so much more mature in some ways with greater freedom of voice, but still completely the same in others; like enjoying adventure games and mysteries, albeit in a different form. This, of course, also shows how inactive many children and teens are now with restrictions on their freedom to ...more
Sham Maf
Jan 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Makes u realise that there are many people whom u may know suffering from some disease and struggling to be part of this overly cynical society.
Celia Rees has wonderfully brought out a story that deals with two different sets of characters in a different ages.
Bethany
May 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I worked out how it was going to end but it was an entertaining and enjoyable read which was a bit creepy at times.
Jinx
Rea
Mar 24, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Can't remember what happens in this book at all but I do know I read it 2 or 3 times during my early teen years so it must have captured my attention when I was the target age. I still have it somewhere and will probably keep it for any future children.

---
After re-read:

Full review can be found here.

The problem with revisiting books from your childhood more than ten years later is that they no longer hold that sense of awe that your memory insists was present all those years ago. It took me about
Keira
Nov 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Truth or dare is an interesting book. There is no way of knowing what will happen next. Josh is an exciting character ; just like his uncle Patrick who died when only 13 years old. When Josh begins to find things out, the truth reveals itself over time. I rate this book 4 stars as I loved it and would recommend it for people over the age of 11.
Amber
Aug 08, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Was read this when I was in year six and the teacher never finished it so I went and bought it myself. I can't remember the plot too well but I know I read it several times so it must have been fairly good!
Lisa
Jan 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just what I needed after Vanity Fair! Although aimed at teens I enjoyed it, even though I could guess what was going to happen and the outcome; the style of writing was very much for a younger reader but all in all it was well written and enjoyable.
Tess
Oct 20, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
compelling. a boy has to stay at his grandparents house for a while while his mother looks after his grandmother then organises the funeral.
his mums brother Patrick supposedly died when he was little. and the boy (Josh) finds out about his mothers childhood and what really happened to Patrick
Helen
Jan 25, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting to read about aspergers through a novel. Made me relate more to a pupil.
Nimue Brown
Sep 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
nicely plotted and full of surprises, I very much enjoyed this one.
Hayley
Aug 17, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Was mostly predictable but still a satisfying read with a good moral.
Stefanie
Mar 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
An interesting book. I felt that it portrayed it's subject matter accurately (from what I know of it) and I liked the twist of the video game.
Robyn Drummond
A strange and intriguing tale that will keep you guessing to the end.
Joy
Feb 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ok read. bit confusing in places and it took a while to get into, but overall a good book
Aug 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romans-jeunesse
Un chouette roman où l'on retrouve un héros attachant ainsi qu' une intrigue qui tient le lecteur en haleine et se dénoue de manière à la fois touchante et originale!^^
Jordan
Apr 18, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was pretty cool, it wasn't what i thought it was going to be about though...i thought it would be about friends and games but it was about a video game
Charlotte
Apr 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Older children and teens who enjoy mystery
Recommended to Charlotte by: School library
The mystery kept me guessing until the end, I enjoyed it when I read it very much.
ChattyNatty
Jul 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this book was amazing!
My favourite character was Patrick.
Sylvia
Josh explores grandmother's house and finds clues about his strange uncle Patrick who supposedly died in his teens. Josh uncovers a family secret about his autistic, misunderstood uncle.
Natalie
This was an ok read, nothing particularly special, and a tad too predictable for my tastes!
Myvi
Jul 31, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This book contains many creative describtion on words. In addition, it gave you a final twisted at the end! great book!
Girl with her Head in a Book
Katy Forrest
Sep 25, 2012
Nicole
Apr 12, 2017
Goodreads Librari...: Please add cover "Tuer n'est pas jouer" 3 13 Jun 03, 2016 07:18AM
What's The Name o...: YA/children's, space race, sputnik, catch a falling star song [s] 13 41 Jan 18, 2013 11:44AM
The Truth Out There 1 5 Jul 11, 2009 05:31PM
  • Jake's Tower
  • Breathing Underwater
  • Blackwater
  • Kite Spirit
  • Alone at Ninety Foot
  • Victory
  • The Revolution of Sabine
  • The Lady Forfeits (Copeland Sisters, #2)
  • Different Like Me: My Book of Autism Heroes
  • The Nose from Jupiter
  • You're Going to Love This Kid!: Teaching Children with Autism in the Inclusive Classroom
  • Please, Please, Please (Friendship Ring, #2)
  • Palle alene i verden
  • The Edge
  • Eight Children and a Truck (Eight Children, #1)
  • The Famous Stanley Kidnapping Case (Stanley Family, #2)
  • His Virgin Mistress
  • Autism: Explaining the Enigma
Celia Rees (born 1949) is an English author of children's literature, including some horror and fantasy books.

She was born in 1949 in Solihull, West Midlands but now lives in Leamington Spa with her husband and teenage daughter. Rees attended University of Warwick and earned a degree in History of Politics. After university, she taught English in Coventry secondary schools for seventeen years, dur
More about Celia Rees...