Start by marking “The Vanished” as Want to Read:

(Point Horror Unleashed)

There are all kinds of stories about the school, about the city: ghost stories, hauntings, mysterious disappearances. They make entertaining copy for the school newspaper, then Fraser begins to wonder if some of them might be true.
Published (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Vanished, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Vanished

Start your review of The Vanished
Cora Tea Party Princess
5 Words: School, mystery, disappearance, horror, family.

I've pretty much lost count of how many times I've read this book. I still remember the first time I read it. I was twelve years old, in maths, and we were doing a statistics exercise about word count and letter count in books. I picked this one.

This is a great little horror, and as much as there is such a fantastical ending, it feels very much grounded in realism. It's quite a chilling read, and even now (well over ten years since my first
Holly
Jul 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Absolutley amazing overall , but it did give me some creeps when i read it at night !! It wasn't quite what i was expecting because a friend recommened it to me to read as it was to scary for her to read and it wasn't quite the way she described it .The end had to be my favourite part because thats when it was all revealed about the missing people in the woods . I would definetly recommened it to people who like creepy things that give you alot of suspence , but i won't tell you any more incase ...more
Angela
Dec 11, 2018 rated it liked it
I wanted a quick audiobook to listen to while at work and it was a nice quick one. I didn't hate the story, but I also didn't love it. To me it was like other ghost stories that I have read and watched. Still enjoyable though.
Rhonda
Aug 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you don't have time to read this book then let Shirley Barthelmie read it to you! In this five CD set lies a terrible secret, a blood chilling horror that only begins with every parent's nightmare...and THEN it gets scary.

Alistair Fraser is new at high school, suffering emotional anguish caused by a family tragedy. Jake Saunders is the school geek, a talented photographer, and doting brother of little sister Amy. Both boys like Cassie, editor of the school newspaper, thus becoming the cause
Jessica Hobson
Feb 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
The Vanished

Celia Rees, "The Vanished" is a gothic novel that will send shivers down your spine. A group of kids from the school come together to write a school newsletter, when they create fake stories about vanished kids to encourage students to read the newletter. Suddenly kids begin to disappear, leading into an investigation.

This novel includes fears to self, vioence, death, incarceration and judgement.

Clara
Jan 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I think I've read this book 5-6 times at least. When I was younger, I used to borrow this every summer. I wasn't much for scary movies or books, but this one I could read over and over again. However I don't want to ruin the memory of it by reading it again now that I'm older. Something tells me I wouldn't enjoy it as much. Anyway, the mash of the untold and vanishing children, coming together in some science fictional place... It's basically a great mash-up of genres.
Allison
Sep 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
Students are trying to make their school newspaper more popular. Why not try some creepy creative stories of some around-the-town haunting? Their ploy works, newspaper circulation soars, and then creepy occurences become reality. Jake, Fraser, and Cassie investigate. This is a good one for your teens who like to be spooked. It spooked me!
Adele
This was a good book - kind of creepy with a nice twisty original, unpredictable plot. I really respect that in a novel!
Julie
Jan 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Creepy, exciting, and very hard to put down.
Tricia
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I liked this book. It was a ghost story with a difference.

When a new boy joins a school he convinces the school newspaper to start reporting on mysterious incidents that are happening at the school. Then more incidents start happening and a mysterious "Billy" seems to be linked to a number of these stories. This is overshadowed by a girl going missing. And then there is the creepy game that the pre-schoolers are playing.

This was only a short book but it was fast paced. It definitely kept me on
BooksAndRae
Jun 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Unfortunately not as good as Celia Rees other books in my opinion but the plot and storyline was great as were the characters
Georgia Newman
Apr 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Loved this book. I read it over and over again. It catches me up in it's scary stories.
Maham Siddiqui
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've lost count on how many times I've read this book. Everything about this book is amazing. The plot, the storyline, the character building. I love it so much.
Raine
Dec 13, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: ya, read-this-in-2011
Rachel Brand
Oct 23, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, 2003, fantasy
My review at age 11:

"Odd/freaky sometimes, but good."

I was SO scared by this book when I first read it. I was used to generic, Point Horror-style horror, so a decent book was an enigma for me. I remember sitting in the garden with my family while reading this, in the blazing sun, and still being scared that some creepy, dead-but-undead child was hiding behind me. And the cover! I hated looking at the cover; super creepy! Even six years on, I can still remember loads of details about this book -
Sophie Lewy
Jul 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, fiction
I think for a short horror book it was quite effective.
I like how the book centers around Fraser and Cassie's reletionship developing and them getting to know one another through a dark circumstance.
The fact that it isn't too frightning to cause nightmares makes it an excellent read for young teenagers or people who hate to be terrified.
My favorute character had to be Billy, as a character he shows how everyone has a good and bad side.
Maria
Jun 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(May 1998) I was already a mahoosive Point Horror fan but didn't know about the unleashed series until my cousin and I spotted this freaky cover from across the bookshop. I loved it because unlike the regular Point Horror series the characters here were British like me and more relatable. I remember being genuinely creeped out, may need to dust off my old copy for a re-read soon.
Rhiannon
Pros:
- Good YA horror story.
- Suitably creepy for its intended audience.
- Some interesting settings and environments.

Cons:
- I didn't feel that connected to the characters.
- Possibly could have benefited from being 100 pages longer. It felt cut down, there were plot details that could have been interesting but are ultimately left hanging.
Any Length
Mar 10, 2012 rated it liked it
When reading this book I felt reminded of Stephen King's "It". The setting in underground tunnels beneith a city and the threat to kids was just too much of a reminder.
It's a good young adult book with probably enough scaryness for young and middle teens to hold their attention and a few good morals and a bit of street savyness thrown in.
Stacie
Oct 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio-book
I am really liking this author and this is my favorite book I have read of hers so far, Pirates is a close second. I finished this book in one day because I just couldn't stop listening. I had to find out what was going to happen and weather Billy was good or bad. A great quick read.
Ellie Cobley
Mar 24, 2013 rated it liked it
This was really good I thought, creepy but thrilling: especially the story Billy told about his sister. Scary!!! The Vanished
Tim DeFrange
Jan 13, 2010 rated it liked it
I like getting creeped out now and then and this was a good trip to dead, gross and deadly places from the seemingly harmless starting point of a couple of high school kids doing school newspaper work.
Ylice Webb
Great little bed time / bath time book, enjoyed the story line & concept. Young adult /teens read. small enough to pop in a handbag for short reading break time.
Marilyn
Apr 28, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: 7th - 10th grade
I listened to this and it was creepy enough that I couldn't listen before bed in the dark. Good for anyone who likes scary stories.
Carrie
Feb 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't sure how much I would like this at first but I was pleasantly surprised.
Whitney Warburton
Oct 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
When I read this book, it was the first real supernatural book that I had read, and I can attribute this to helping me become a huge supernatural book fan.
Courtney
Exciting story. Would have been pretty scared if I was under 15.
Zoe
May 02, 2013 added it
very good loved the characters
Anush
Nov 06, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Easy reading. I liked how the author kept the mysterious line, though the ghost story was not quite what I was expecting at the end with some questions left unanswered.
Tess
Oct 20, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
children have been disappearing for centuries
now things are getting worse

• Love Letters
  • Paralysed
  • The Story of My Life
  • Tough Love
  • Roboten er løs! (Roboten Matilda, #1)
  • The Arsonist: A Mind on Fire
  • The Place on Dalhousie
  • The Hunted (Vampire Huntress, #3)
  • Numbers (Numbers, #1)
  • The Bitten (Vampire Huntress, #4)
  • The Forbidden (Vampire Huntress, #5)
  • The Erratics
  • Wicked Fox (Gumiho, #1)
  • One Hundred Years of Dirt
  • The Beautiful (The Beautiful, #1)
  • In the Night Wood
  • The Things She's Seen
Celia Rees (born 1949) is an English author of children's literature, including some horror and fantasy books.

She was born in 1949 in Solihull, West Midlands but now lives in Leamington Spa with her husband and teenage daughter. Rees attended University of Warwick and earned a degree in History of Politics. After university, she taught English in Coventry secondary schools for seventeen years,

Point Horror Unleashed (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • Blood Sinister
  • At Gehenna's Door (Point Horror Unleashed)
  • The Carver
  • Catchman
  • Darker
  • House of Bones (Point Horror Unleashed)
  • The Hanging Tree
  • Eve's Party
  • The Ghost Wife
  • Skinners (Point Horror Unleashed)