Start by marking “Shocked by the Bible: The Most Astonishing Facts You've Never Been Told” as Want to Read:
Shocked by the Bible: The Most Astonishing Facts You've Never Been Told

Shocked by the Bible: The Most Astonishing Facts You've Never Been Told

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  129 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
How well do you really know the Bible? For instance, guess how many doves were aboard Noah's Ark. The answer is not two.

And guess on which day the Bible says Jesus died. Believe it or not, the Good Book doesn't mention Friday, and even more surprisingly, while the Bible says Jesus rose from the grave, it does not say it occurred Sunday morning. Remember, Jesus' followers f
Published September 28th 2008 by Thomas Nelson (first published December 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Shocked by the Bible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shocked by the Bible

Susan
Jun 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
One would be amazed at the things that are in the bible, if only he would take the time to read it well. Joe Kovacs obviously read his bible well and presents the facts in a way that are accessible to someone who may not be very literate in the bible.

The book will make you angry because you don't want to change your beliefs; make you angry because you've been lied to all your life by a church; or make you re-examine what you believe and possibly change what you believe.
Beverly
Feb 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Those who have attended church most of their lives on a regular basis may not be very shocked by Kovacs' revelations, but those unfamiliar with the Bible may learn new things.
Melanie
Jan 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is a quick read, and VERY interesting. Learned alot!
Conway Salmon
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Can GOD do as recorded in HIS WORD?

Sadly most professing Christians in the west at least are quite selective in what they choose to believe in GOD's revealed word perhaps they believe in a lesser god?
Deena Brannon
Jun 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Easy to read. Sometimes funny. There really are things that I KNEW that were WRONG.
Doug
Aug 31, 2009 rated it did not like it
For anyone looking for revelation of secrets or perhaps a new perspective on the text of the Bible, keep looking. Kovacs doesn't bring anything to the table that a person with basic reading comprehension can't discover for himself.

Seriously, he makes it sound like some kind of brilliant discovery that there is no mention of Easter or December 25th in the Bible. Really? Anyone who is willing to look at the Bible as a documentation of history and some moralistic teachings understands that there ar
Monica
Mar 22, 2009 rated it it was ok
This book promises to "shock" - but really.... if anyone has actually READ the Bible, there's nothing at all shocking about what's in here. What did shock me was the lack of any historical perspective or supporting documentation for the author's conclusions about such things as "Jesus didn't REALLY die on a Friday and rise on a Sunday" (has he read ANY early Christian authors? If they were within one generation of Christ, and knew the people who were THERE, and THEY say he died on a Friday and r ...more
Ryan Mercer
Aug 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
While this text is quite informative for those that haven't read the bible cover to cover... it is pretty lacking on anything 'shocking', 'astounding', or 'facts you've never been told'.

Would make a great gift though for young-adults to spark an interest in the bible, or anyone for that matter. Would also be a great gift for people that make a lot of assumptions and assume things in movies and Christmas songs MUST be in the bible... might open their eyes. However, for anyone with at least an ele
Ana
Apr 02, 2016 rated it liked it
A few really surprising and/or eye-opening chapters, but mostly things any regular Bible reader would know.

Specifically recommended to people who don't tend to get into the word very often for themselves. In that case, this book would be an informative companion to read alongside the Bible, and may even spark a greater curiosity for scripture.

If you're already in the Bible reading habit, you may still get something out of this book. I'd suggest at least flipping through it to the chapters that i
Brett
Nov 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
I don't think this book is meant to be the definitive bible study reference tome. It's more of a teaser for various misunderstood elements in scripture. But what it lacks in detail and supporting evidence, it makes up for in the breadth of material. I would recommend it as a way to get someone interested in bible, if only to learn about some of the common misconceptions that are pervasive among christians.
Brent Wolters
Oct 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religion
This book answered a lot of questions that have been bothering me concerning what I've read in the Bible and what I've heard in churches. Eye opening book that shows most Christians are in deep trouble with the God of the Bible if they don't get their act together and really read from the source of their beliefs, instead of relying on traditions and ministers who don't tell (or don't know) the whole truth.
Jadah
Jun 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
THIS BOOK WAS SIMPLY AMAZING AND I ENJOYED READING AND LEARNING AS I ENDULGED FROM CHAPTER TO CHAPTER! I LOVED EVERY MINUTE OF IT! THIS BOOK WAS SO INFORMATIVE AND IT ANSWERED ALOT OF UNANSWERED QUESTIONS IN MY HEAD THAT I ALWAYS OFTEN WONDERED BUT NEVER HAD TIME TO RESEARCH THE INFORMATION! THIS IS WORTH EVERY MINUTE OF YOUR TIME AND I SUGGEST YOU TAKE HEED TO MY WORDS AND CHECK IT OUT
Don Paske
Apr 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Three stars is actually a gift. There wasn't much shocking that I learned. I do wonder, in this day and age, why would Mr. Kovacs quote from the King James bible. Not the New King James bible, the original! I suggest folks actually read the bible rather than this simplistic book.
ReeKee
Sep 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Joe Kovacs is very knowledgeable when it comes to the Bible. He didn't add or explain away anything from the Bible that most would want to do away with as it isn't politically correct. God is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow. No apology needed!
Ronnie Sanders
Jun 08, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Is this intended to discuss biblical topics? Ignore it.
Douglas Reedy
Jan 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this book. It was very informative and humorous at times. It wasn't to deep or mind numing. I would recommend this book to anyone with an interest in the Bible.
Kriste
Aug 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian
This book was informative and I learned things I hadn't known before. The author takes a lot of things extremely literal in the Bible, but overall I did learn a lot from this book :)
Janice
Jan 31, 2013 rated it did not like it
Read the Bible instead.
Nanette
May 02, 2013 rated it did not like it
Ok, I thought about a few new things. I also thought, buddy, use the original Greek and Hebrew, not Darby's paraphrase. Duh!
Missye
Joshua Cox
Mar 14, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Bible Answer Book
  • What's a Christian to Do with Harry Potter?
  • Scientific Creationism
  • The Design Revolution: Answering the Toughest Questions about Intelligent Design
  • Last Days Madness: Obsession of the Modern Church
  • The Ten Commandments: The Significance of God's Laws in Everyday Life
  • How Evil Works: Understanding and Overcoming the Destructive Forces That Are Transforming America
  • Revelation:  Four Views: A Parallel Commentary

• Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Fall Down 7 Times Get Up 8: A Young Man's Voice from the Silence of Autism
    $13.99 $1.99
  • I Am Not Myself These Days (P.S.)
    $13.24 $1.99