Start by marking “Spellbound After Midnight (Ever Dark, Ever Deadly #1)” as Want to Read:
Spellbound After Midnight (Ever Dark, Ever Deadly #1)

Spellbound After Midnight

(Ever Dark, Ever Deadly #1)

A spellbinding mystery leads an unlikely pair on the hunt for a killer.

Tessa Daniels needs a miracle. Preferably, the kind that comes with cold hard cash. Her magic shop is failing, and she'll be tossed into the street unless she clears her debt.

When a financial boon arrives in the form of a young woman determined to attend the prince's ball, a risky spell turns out to be
Published March 2nd 2020

To ask other readers questions about Spellbound After Midnight, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Spellbound After Midnight (Ever Dark, Ever Deadly #1)
Mahima
May 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

***ARC received in exchange of an honest review***

This was one of the best mysterious-romance I've read. This is my first book of the author but I would say her writing style is commendable.
The way this story flowed was mesmerizing. With each and every turn I could feel my excitement build up inside my heart.

Every character was so well establish. Being a mystery book the author has done really well to make the end as unpredictable as it could be, which has worked out really well. I loved T
Aly
Mar 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Tessa Daniels inherited her mother's magic shop when she died, and technically she's a witch, but let's just say that she might not be the best at magic. Not that it stop her from trying (a girl got to pay the rent and eat anyway😉). But she still had to borrow money and might now be in trouble. Surprisingly, not her biggest problem right now. Yesterday, a customer came for a spell and now Tessa just learned that the lady was murdered at the Prince's ball. The detective working the case is an han ...more
Micheal
Mar 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
This is the 1st novel in the series, "Ever Dark, Ever Deadly" by author; Jenna Collett. This is also my first read by this author. The first couple chapters I thought...."Oh no.....not another retelling of a Disney Princess story" but I kept reading anyway and it was not what I was expecting at all. I actually enjoyed reading this novel. I loved the characters and the chemistry, some parts had me chuckling. A very intriguing paranormal romantic mystery that really keeps the reader wanting to fin ...more
Lexie
Oct 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It'll cost you Detective.

What a lovely book!

It reminds me a little of the magical fantasy-romances by Kathryne Kennedy (the Relics of Merlin series primarily), though this had a lighter, more mischievous tone overall.

Romance of course happened, with some fun nods to several fairy tales along the way. What I liked most however is that Collett built a world that felt living without telling us. While exposition existed, largely the world was felt and seen it moreso.

Tessa's glibness and Derrick's br
Leah
Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
Spellbound After Midnight
ARC review
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
This book has some characteristics of Cinderella. It's more like a murder mystery retelling of Cinderella. Which to me was very intriguing.
I really enjoyed the characters in this book. The leading lady is a witch, whose spells don't always turn out like she planned. The main guy is a detective, he is serious and very devoted to his work. The supporting characters were all so interesting and diverse. I enjoyed them all, especially the best friend.
I found
Sunny
This is a honest review in exchange for an ARC provided to me by the author.

I loved this book. It's a wonderful mix of paranormal romance with a fairy tale twist. I adore Tessa because she's not this all powerful, fated to be, only woman who can save the world character. She's real. She makes mistakes, finds it difficult, has good moments and bad ones. She's so relatable and I loved it! ❤️ And Detective Derrick isn't the macho stereotype, instead he's real. And behaves like a normal person, whi
Kari Valdez
Apr 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing

I downloaded Spellbound at Midnight awhile ago. I kept passing it over to read something else. Big mistake! Jenna Collette I loved your book. The chemistry between Tessa and Derrick is off the charts. They are such polar opposites. That’s why watching them come together made my heart sing.Tessa is a witch who is terrible at doing spells. She’s not always a follow the rules kind of girl. Derrick on the other hand is a detective and goes Straight by the book.⁣

I love how its like a “Cinderella”mu
mary
Dec 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. This was such a fun read and one that I did in one sitting. I loved the chemistry between the main characters so much and the mystery wasn't too bad. The only thing I wasn't too into was how modern the text sounded. It kept taking me out of the time period it's supposed to be in.

I'm glad that this was the book I wrapped up my 2020 reading with. Can't wait to continue the series.
Dilesha
Jan 29, 2020 rated it liked it
The book is awesome.
Maya
Feb 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Captivating paranormal mystery, with a novel Cinderella Twist.

Tessa, an indifferent witch, is drowning in debt and thinking things can't get any worse when a customer dies within hours of buying a spell from her. Unfortunately, this attracts the attentions of Derrick, a terse, witch-disliking detective who instantly slaps her with a fine! In order to clear her name she reluctantly teams with Derrick to solve the mystery. There are twists and turns in the mystery which kept me guessing until the
Nessa
Mar 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
FIRST BOOK BY THIS AUTHOR, AND IT GOT ME HOOKED READING IT TILL 1 AM. I HONESTLY DIDN'T KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT FROM THIS ONE, AND WHILE IT LACKED INTENSITY IN PASSION AND IT WAS MILDLY CLEAN ROMANCE, THE EMOTIONS WERE ENOUGH TO MAKE THIS A SOLID.

THE SETTING WAS MY FAVOURITE. REMINDED ME OF 18TH CENTURY LONDON YET WITH A HINT OF MODERN SOCIETY. IT WASN'T STEAMPUNK, BUT IT ALSO WASN'T WHOLLY OLDSCHOOL.

DERRICK is the son of a wealthy family, except his ambition lies in becoming a great detective. The
Dani H
Feb 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
*I received an ARC copy in exchange for an honest review*

I have read many Cinderella retellings because I happen to be a bit of a sucker for them, which actually makes me pretty picky about if they're good enough or not. And let me say that Spellbound After Midnight is the best Cinderella retelling I have read! From the moment I first read the synopsis I was hooked completely. Jenna is a genius! I had late nights awake, I skipped meals so that I didn't have to put it down...reading the book was
Sherise Mitchell
Jul 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Some books just get everything right and Spellbound After Midnight by Jenna Collett is one of them. If you like fairytale retellings with a twist, fantasy, romance, and quirky heroines, then you’ll love this book.

The author gives us a witch named Tessa who is flawed, sassy, and has dubious magical abilities. She’s mired in debt, but trying to keep her mother’s shop going but her reputation of magic gone wrong isn’t helping matters. When she uses illusion to give a girl the outfit of her dreams
Morgan Lechtenberg
Oct 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Refreshing Take

I love a great fairytale retelling, and this story did not disappoint. Spellbound After Midnight crafts a new twist in the classic aged tale of a woman losing a glass slipper. Tessa, a clumsy, spellcasting witch (aka, Fairy Godmother) takes on the task of helping a woman in need. But, when murder is thrown in the mix, Tessa meets the handsome but stern detective Derrick Chambers to solve the devious mystery.

This story had an interesting world that kept me engaged and excited. The
Amy
Mar 16, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the Kingdom of Ever, Tessa is the worst witch--ever. Her spells are catastrophes, her clients are demanding their money back, and so is her debtor. However, when her last client ends up dead, Tessa has a whole new set of problems, and she has a deadline to pay up or her bill will become past due indefinitely.

Here's what I didn't like: Cloaks do NOT have sleeves. It is widely accepted that the one thing cloaks and capes have in common is that they are a sleeveless garment. The last quarter of
Kat
Feb 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
I'm writing this review after receiving an ARC from the author. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

3.5 stars, rounded to 4, because it's adorable and funny.

---

An unlikely partnership forms when a witch and a detective start looking for the same killer. A mix of every day life in a Kingdom with magic and ghosts hidden in the cracks. Fairytales and a murder mystery...

Tessa is a witch without much skill, but her sass knows no bounds. I couldn't help but love her humor and ability to get back up o
Kaye
Mar 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
ONE SPECTACULAR JOURNEY!!!
Feel the need! Jenna presents one thrilling approach, presenting this gem with on point realism, showcasing such acumen, enthusiasm, fervor and unique insight propelling this jewel to staggering heights. Anarchy, escapades and havoc run amuck, kicking this gem into a tempest, blasting it into a hissy with a mind-blowing culmination. The characters are genuine and original with depth and qualities that transform into amazing personalities. The dynamics and presentation i
Sydney Winward
Sep 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A bit of murder. A bit of mystery. A bit of romance. This book caters perfectly to everything I love in a book. The romantic tension is drawn out so well, with the perfect amount of romance to keep the reader interested and wanting more. I loved the characters. Tessa and Derrick had great chemistry. I absolutely loved Tessa’s personality. She’s fiery, confident despite her shortcomings, and her humor is so entertaining.

This book has been on my to-read list for the better part of a year, and I’m
Brad
Feb 13, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Had Me at Cinder Ella

The story starts with Ella, her clothes covered in cinder ash, wanting to go to the ball. There’s a gown, glass slippers, and a pumpkin that blows up. By then, it was clear this story was going to have some familiar elements (like a Charming Prince) while being a very different story.

Tessa, a bumbling witch and our protagonist, gets involved in solving Ella’s murder at the ball. That puts her into a strained relationship with Detective Derrick. This is a murder mystery and
Sara Sigler
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Tessa was a witch who had her spells go haywire most of the time. Ella went to her to get an illusion spell so she could get in the prince’s ball then she was killed. Then the detective Derick asked her questions about what she did for Ella since she was the person that had contact with her before the ball. Ella started to haunt her so she went to tell the detective about it the prince decided that they should work together. Ella gave her some leads to help them with what she could remember. The ...more
Angela
Feb 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: all-time-faves
Spellbound After Midnight is witty and fun, written with a fabulous mixture of fairy tale nuance and modern attitude. Tessa is my favorite kind of heroine, think underdog meets Calamity Jane, with thick skin over a lot of heartache. Anyone who has hit hard times can empathize with her insecurities and the devastation she feels every time she has to visit the pawn shop. The chemistry between zany Tessa and rigid Derrek is hot, in that opposites attract sort of way, and builds into a romance that ...more
Rebecca Barnes
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Jenna is amazing! It's my first time reading this book, or any of Jenna's works, I received an ARC and honestly I could not put it down. The plot is brilliant, nicely spaced and timed. The characters are amazing, each individual brings something different, and you fall in love with them all! The twists and turns keep you guessing, the relationships keep you on your toes.... I loved it! It's fresh, it's a fun read, it's a lovely twist to a well known tale and it has been executed so thoroughly. I ...more
Book Bin Divers
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Cinderella has been retold one too many times. Or so we thought.

Spellbound After Midnight blew our minds by retelling the old fairytale without keeping the spotlight on Cinderella and Prince Charming. In Jenna Collet’s paranormal romantic mystery (Cinder)Ella seeks the assistance of shop keeper, Tessa Daniels, to get to the infamous ball.

From there the story becomes Tessa’s. Think of the fairy godmother that turns the pumpkin into a carriage. Except Tessa’s a witch and her pumpkin carriage blows
Aleera Ceres
Oct 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story was super friggen cute. I loved the fairy tale twist. Instead of following Cinderella like we usually do in stories like these, we followed the witch (or fairy godmother, as it were)...

Her relationship with the detective was perfection. I adored them as a couple, their dynamic was fun and just super cute.

Mild romance. Basically a YA novel, in case anyone was wondering about steam level. There really isn't any. That didn't make the story NOT enjoyable, though.

I can't wait to dive into
Kate
Mar 07, 2021 rated it really liked it
Decent

This was a pretty good book. It barely touches on Cinderella, with Ella as the murder victim and our heroine solving the crime. My only annoyance was the world set up. I kept wanting to read this as an urban fantasy, instead of a fairy tale kingdom. Beyond needing carriages instead of cars, and gowns instead of jeans & tees, this felt more like a modern city drama.
Beyond that it was well written, the love interests were good, & it was one of the better KU picks out there.
Victoria Mosher
*ARC Review*

I have read different fairytale retellings over the years but not one I liked as much as this one. I loved the story and learning more about the characters. I hope for a second one so that we can see them flourish more. See if events we have guessed at come true. I love the mystery twist to the tale and how we can see hints of other fairy tales waiting to happen. I'd absolutely recommend this book and I look forward to seeing what else she has in store for us.
Scarolet Ellis
Mar 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Spellbound After Midnight by Jenna Collett is a wonderful story I have had the privilege reading. This is book number one in this start to a brand new series writen by a brand new author for me to read and I can not wait for the next book in this series. I highly recommend this story to everyone who loves reading about fantasy and paranormal romances.

Rachel The reader
Mar 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good read

At first it seems as though this book will be a fairy tale retelling but it’s really not. It draws loosely on some characters from Cinderella but then diverges into a murder mystery paranormal love story. Tessa the witch with wonky magic and Derrick the detective make a lovely storyline. The killer was fairly obvious from about halfway and his motives unoriginal but overall it was a book worth reading
Valerie Evans
Nov 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ever wished fairytales were more murdery and involved fancy detectives? Then you should definitely pick up this book!

I fell in love with Tessa and all her quirks in the first few pages. Who knew being bad at magic would make such a great character? Everything about the banter and chemistry with her and Derrick pulled me to immediately want them together yet never overwhelmed the more immediate murder plot. Such a great story with so many fun characters!
george mammay
Jan 11, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Well worth trying

This is the first book I have read by Jenna Follett and I am so happy I did. What starts out as Cinderella like tale th

This is the first book I have read by Jenna Follett and I'm very happy to say, it will not be my last. Loosely based on a Cinderella like story line, it pulls you into a tale of mystery, crime, growth and love. I will be starting the second book tonight!

• Fifty Shades Darker (Fifty Shades, #2)
  • Fifty Shades Freed (Fifty Shades, #3)
  • Taken
  • Neverwhere (London Below, #1)
  • The Moonfire Bride (Of Candlelight and Shadows #1)
  • Stolen
  • New Moon (Twilight, #2)
  • The Elite (The Selection, #2)
  • Hunted: A Vampire Blood Lust Romance (Vampire Paranormal Romance, #1)
  • The Time Traveler's Wife
  • Kiss of the Blood Prince: A Fated Mates Fae Romance
  • Burn Bright (Alpha & Omega, #5; Mercy Thompson World - Complete, #15)
  • Virgin River (Virgin River, #1)
  • Wolfsong (Green Creek, #1)
  • Of Goblins and Gold (Of Goblin Kings, #1)
  • Scandal in Spring (Wallflowers, #4)
  • Jane Eyre
  • The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #1)
Author of paranormal romance with a fairytale twist. I'm currently writing the Ever Dark, Ever Deadly series and each book features a new fairytale and new couple.

NEWSLETTER: https://witty-pioneer-5050.ck.page/39...
INSTAGRAM: https://instagram.com/jennacollettauthor
BOOKBUB: https://www.bookbub.com/profile/jenna...
AMAZON: https://www.amazon.com/Jenna-Collett/...

As a reader, I enjoy all things roman

Ever Dark, Ever Deadly (3 books)
  • Wolfish Charms (Ever Dark, Ever Deadly Book 2)
  • Edge of Wonder

News & Interviews

Jenny Lawson is the funniest person you know. And if you don’t know her, just read one of her books and she becomes the funniest person you...